Author Topic: Dates  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dates
« on: May 12, 2004, 11:02:00 PM »
Were any actual dates used in DS?  Or any holidays or birthdays celebrated?

I am actual anal enough find out for myself, but before I embark I thought I would check to see if anyone else had reseached this first. :)

And what about days of the week and the actual day to day flow of time?  Of course frequently several episodes would take place during the same day (or night) but has anyone tried to place events/episodes in chonological order (episodes x y x take place on one day, and then episode aa takes place the next day, for example).  Again, I am sad and obsessive  :) to do this myself, but would certainly prefer to read the fruits of another fan's labors!  ;D

Thanks all!

Nelson Collins
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Dates
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 01:59:46 AM »
I can only remember two specified dates.  One occurred during the Leviathan storyline.  Paul Stoddard learned that December 15 was Alexander's birthday, and that he should expect some sort of mischief to occur on that day.

Also, I believe that Barnabas had a vision of Julia's tombstone reading October 6, 1840.

ProfStokes

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 02:05:25 AM »
Elizabeth's exact birthdate was shown in the family Bible during the storyline of when Jason blackmailed her into marrying him; she was contemplating suicide and was going to write in her death date.  I don't remember the exact date of her birth, but the year was 1917.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 07:17:39 AM »
I seem to remember during the 1897 storyline when the possessed Charity/Pansy was celebrating Quentin's birthday with him. I believe the date was Sept.10th.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 05:39:44 PM »
Hmm....
For some reason October 28th sticks in my mind as Quentin's supposed birthday.  Then again, that would make him a Scorpio and I cahn't see it.....rally i cahn't.

-CLC
Historical Society For The Preservation Of I-Don't-Know-What

;)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 05:47:16 PM »
Well, the birthday scenes were doing the Quentofi mind/body switch period (one of my favorite eras in DS--soooo deliciously loopy, and Selby had such fun playing the ruthless, hedonistic Quentofi), which makes it October rather than Sept. I believe.

The episode guide Ann Wilson compiled for the DS Memories book would have the definitive answer.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 05:55:00 PM »
Looking now at the rest of this thread... there were several specific dates given over the course of the years, from 1966 through 1971.

For example, I remember Vicki finding a dated document about the dismissal of servants from Collinwood in the late 1940s on which she found the name of Hanscombe, the butler (to whom she may or may not have been related).

When Laura Collins arrived in December of '66, Maggie Evans asked if she was coming in to town "for the holidays," a clear reference to X-mas.

There were specific dates for the fiery immolation of the woman in Phoenix, Arizona, and Laura's arrival in C'port.

Jumping ahead, I remember that Grandma-mamma Edith Collins' will was dated March 3, 1897 (yes, when you watch certain episodes several times over the years, you do remember these things).

When Vicki arrived in 1795, the announcement of the date of Barnabas and Josette's wedding (read from the newly-engraved invitations) sent her into a faint.

Paul Stoddard was told to expect "payment due" on a certain date in December, 1969.

I could go on, but I am afraid I am trying folks' patience as it is.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 06:24:54 PM »
For some reason October 28th sticks in my mind as Quentin's supposed birthday.

Yes!  The date was on a newspaper.

September 10 (1897) was the date Quentin was to have died.

Scary that we know these, eh?

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 06:58:26 PM »
Joshua Collins Headstone   1755-1880   ;D
Sarah Collins  Headstone    1785-1795 then scratched out for 1796    ;D
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 11:02:59 PM »
Looking now at the rest of this thread... there were several specific dates given over the course of the years, from 1966 through 1971.

Very cool, Gothick. Maggie Evans referring to the "holidays" and the other dates you mentioned is just the kind of info was I was looking for.  Thanks!
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 11:31:45 PM »
Oh, anything to oblige.  There was a reference to X-mas during the Leviathan story, as well, if you care about that specific holiday.  I think it was the only holiday as such ever mentioned on the series.

G.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 03:39:30 AM »
Scary that we know these, eh?

Terrifying.  [lghy]

I remember that Grandma-mamma Edith Collins' will was dated March 3, 1897....

Poor Quentin is never going to live that little blooper down.

- Vice President
Grandma-mama Fan Club
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 01:14:33 PM »
I sort of remember two dates.  One was 1926 for the year of birth for Roger that was shown on the page of the family bible that Elizabeth was signing  for her own date of death. I also remember seeing something that showed that Carolyn was born in July, 1946. However, I don't remember at what part of the storyline I saw that in.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2004, 01:33:59 PM »
Maybe I'm suffering from DSFMS (Dark Shadows Faulty Memory Syndrome), but didn't they also use an exact date for when Laura was going to heat things up, and take David with her, on the anniversary of when she took her earlier brood back in the 18th century?

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2004, 12:23:53 AM »
didn't they also use an exact date for when Laura was going to heat things up, and take David with her

Yes I do remember that now that you mention it. Someone had gone to the library or newspaper office and dug up an old newspaper account of the fire involving Laura Radcliff and her son David burning up in a fire. On a blooper tape, they show the scene where Joe(?) calls someone at Collinwood (was it Dr. Guthrie?) and says I'm, I'm,mmmm, on my way. Well either Joe or Sam Evans said it. It's been awhile. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf