Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0885  (Read 940 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0885
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:38:03 PM »
Robservations #885

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0885

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »
I believe that (apart from a couple gaps involving lack of a couple weeks of tapes, and of a VCR for awhile) with this episode, I complete my first Watching Project circuit of Dark Shadows.

LEVIATHANS. Only we don't see them yet. Farewell 1897; it will never be like that again. We're back in 1795 or 1796. Grayson Hall VO, welcome back! What part will she play, we wonder? Last time I watched this stretch, I had not seen other returns to 1795 besides the main one with Vicki, so it was a great unexpected thing to go to 1795 again suddenly, for no conceivable reason. Thayer steps seamlessly back into Ben Stokes, and Mr. Frid relates perfectly to him, no trace of anti-Petofi animosity. Oh yeah they're actors, almost forgot. 

Barnabas and Angelique spar with each other about whether the Big Event can or should be averted.  Barnabas does not attempt to introduce "I travel in time, you know" into the lively debate.

We reach Josette's moment at the cliff's edge, end. By Sam Hall. Was anything else different from the first time around, DL, MB?  I always wonder whether what Natalie knew, and when she knew it, is inconsistent in this 1795 revival.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
Congratulations, MT!!!

This makes the third iteration of 1795/6, since Barnabas went back once already to save Vicki. It's nice to have GH back as Countess Natalie. I've always thought that Ben was Thayer's best role, and my favorite scenes in 1795 were those with Ben and Barnabas (and a wonderful one with Ben and young Daniel).

Maybe Barn doesn't want to tell Angelique that he travels in time for fear she'll find some way to come after him. Actually, at this point, Barnabas has already strangled Angelique--he did it the night he awoke as a vampire--so she is her own ghost. The first time, Barn fully intended to make Josette a vampire and share eternity with her. This time it's different. He tells Angelique, I have no intention of making Josette what I am. Please, do nothing. In return, I promise not to use the coffins. You can even destroy them because I only want to save Josette’s life. You really love her, don’t you? Angelique says. Too much to have her join me in that way, Barnabas answers fervently. I believe you, Angelique replies. How often I have wanted to hear you say that one word--love--and mean me. Please leave Josette alone, Barnabas pleads. Stay with her until midnight--you will see that I am going to do nothing. No, she laughs. You will see that I am going to do nothing. I don’t like your bargain. Barnabas pleads one more time. You will lure Josette to Widows Hill and torment her with fears of what will happen to her if she goes with me. But suddenly feeling futile, he says, It won’t make any difference. Josette will throw herself from Widows Hill anyway. Don’t expect me to stop her, Angelique says. See if you can. With that, she disappears. Barnabas decides to go to Widows Hill.

Josette ignores all of the countess's pleading and runs off to Widows Hill.

As before, Josette stands on the crest of Widows Hill. The surf crashes on the rocks below. She calls to Barnabas, but hears only Angelique’s laughter. Angelique tells her, You “precious” Barnabas will come soon. Angelique has broken her promise and is following Barnabas’s unwitting instructions to the letter. I am here to warn you not to go away with Barnabas, she says. He is evil. He is going to kill you, then bring you back to life as a bloodthirsty animal. Then she shows Josette an image of what she will become. Josette sees herself--as a hideous, ravening, fanged creature, savage and despairing. She screams in horror. Take it away! she begs Angelique. Keep looking at it, Angelique taunts her, and see what Barnabas will do to you! As Josette pleads for her life, we hear someone approaching through the underbrush. Angelique tells Josette, Your lover--your kind, gentle Barnabas--is coming to help you! Terrified, Josette backs as far as she can toward the edge of the cliff as the footsteps draw closer and closer......

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
Since we've more or less officially left 1897, this is as good a spot as any for my guesses as to what happened to at least some of the characters.

Judith has made Tim an accessory to murder. She also knows that he murdered Minerva, however unwittingly. And of course Tim was all too happy to help Judith murder Gregory Trask. Each has a huge something on the other but their deeds have bound them together. No doubt Judith has ample means to reward Tim for helping her and to keep him quiet. She also invited Pansity to live at Collinwood as her guest; maybe even then she was planning to get rid of Charity's father but hadn't yet figured out how. If Judith merely gave Tim a stack of money, he could just leave at any time and she would live in fear of exposure. BUT if she gave him a gentle nudge toward Pansity--who, as we've seen, is a far nicer person that Charity--and gave Pansity a gentle nudge toward Tim....

Anyway, I suspect that she suggested Tim marry Pansity and added the sweetener of a handsome marriage settlement on them. Perhaps Tim grew fond of Pansity, and perhaps she helped him recover the gentleness that he lost when Rachel died. [spoiler]Perhaps they had a son who inherited the Shaw name and his mother's gift. And perhaps he in turn passed both on to a son of his own, who turned out to be Sebastian Shaw, the gifted but tormented psychic in thrall to Roxanne Drew in 1970. [/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:23:46 PM »
And let's not forget that Rachel is dead because Judith shot her.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 03:43:12 AM »
Thanks DL!  All of that speculation is interesting, and I didn't think of any of it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 02:13:11 AM »
We reach Josette's moment at the cliff's edge, end. By Sam Hall. Was anything else different from the first time around, DL, MB?  I always wonder whether what Natalie knew, and when she knew it, is inconsistent in this 1795 revival.

I'd hazard a guess that the writers bothered to get their hands on the script for #425.  The women's costumes are all different here (Josette's new green cape is killer!), and Riggs is absent, but the events and Natalie's reaction to them are pretty similar right up to that moment on the brink of Widow's Hill.  But only that one script, because the events in #886 are biiizare.

Angelique has broken her promise and is following Barnabas’s unwitting instructions to the letter.

Angelique didn't really break any promise, did she?  Just before disappearing, she seemed to be telling Barnabas what he could do with his "bargain".

Frid was very good but got left out of the closing credits.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
Josette's green velvet cape is killer--I remember seeing Naomi wear it in a few episodes too.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 03:41:07 AM »
Ang's remark-- "No, you will see that I will do nothing" was very confusing.