Author Topic: How do you think the Dark Shadows Festivals can be improved?  (Read 7706 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: What ways do you think the Dark Shadows Festivals be improve
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2002, 01:28:40 AM »
I removed a message in this topic and trimmed another.  My apologies to the posters if this news is upsetting, but I want to assure them that it wasn't done because either post was in any way problematic on its own, but solely because the subject of festival locations was declared off limits prior to their appearance, and the reason for doing that can be read 6 messages up in this topic.  (Er, make that 6 up on the previous page.)

Raineypark, no, we haven't had any DS stars "live" on the board (more like as silent visitors ;) ), though something similar to what you're suggesting has been done very successfully in live chats.  We were given access to the logs of some of these past chats on AOL, and I swear that they'll get onto a forum set up for them one of these days, hee hee!!

Come to think of it, we were treated to some very pleasant discussions with Matthew Hall, writer of the '91 series and son of, well, *you know*, who stopped by 2 or 3 times via a cyber cafe to answer fan questions (mostly about his book "Art of Breaking Glass") back in the old VantageNet days.  I still have all those messages saved with my VNet stuff.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2002, 03:54:39 AM »
Okay Midnite, you just give me the SLIGHTEST hint that there's a chance in Hades John Karlen might be on this board some night and I will gladly ship hubby, kid and dog off to my mother-in-law's, stay up all night, and "make Novenas" , just for the chance to say Thank You to the man for the kiss he gave a 14-year-old fan 35 years ago, outside a theater door....I was too dumbstruck to thank him at the time.....  :-*  :o  :D
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2002, 05:34:30 AM »
Okay Midnite, you just give me the SLIGHTEST hint that there's a chance in Hades John Karlen might be on this board some night and I will gladly ship hubby, kid and dog off to my mother-in-law's, stay up all night, and "make Novenas" , just for the chance to say Thank You to the man for the kiss he gave a 14-year-old fan 35 years ago, outside a theater door....I was too dumbstruck to thank him at the time.....

How sweet!  I'd love to hear more about that experience.  I wish I could say there's a chance he'll show up, but I'm not aware that Karlen is even online, though maybe someone else here knows differently.  However, I've always found him to be one of THE most accessible actors at Fests who doesn't seem to mind chatting with fans in lobbies, elevators, hallways...

Booked your flight to L.A. yet, Raineypark? ;)

Offline ReneeC

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2002, 06:33:45 AM »
[Message forwarded to pansyfaye@darkshadowsfestival.com --Midnite]
Renee

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2002, 08:23:48 AM »
Well, I see it didn't take someone long to start using one of the new animated avatars. [winkb] Good for you, ReneeC! [thumb]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2002, 09:19:56 AM »
Welcome, ReneeC!

ALL the comments about Festival locations that have not stayed on the board are being forwarded to pansyfaye@darkshadowsfestival.com .  Pansyfaye has been reading all the suggestions in this topic and also invites fans to email their opinions about the Fests to her.  She said that while she can't promise that changes will be made, she has given her assurance that all suggestions will be given consideration.

I'll be continuing to remove comments regarding Festival locations because the topic has caused problems here but I'm thrilled to know that the wonderful comments made are still being heard.

Nancy

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2002, 07:44:39 PM »

How many such fan gatherings are there?  The Waltonfest?  One Day At A Time-athon?  Dragnet-work?
We are lucky.

brought to you by
RINGO-RANT

My understanding is that there are many many fan gatherings for just about any famous TV show, even certain movies such as The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  Some conventions are called something like MediaCon and it hosts a variety of fan interests under one "umbrella" convention.   It is true that at some of these conventions, no guests are invited other than fan guests (i.e., known fan artists, fan fic writers) but no actors from the particular series or movie.  It is important for many fans to bond with each other since it is not likely most of them will ever bond with any of the actor guests.   That kind of opportunity is rare.  The fans are the ones that keep these functions alive and kicking.  

Also, not having guests cuts down on overhead and also decreases the pressure and chaos of an event.  The fans are there only for each other.  I know people who have gone to these event and enjoyed them.  

Nancy