Author Topic: #(0110_)0111/0112: Robservations 08/07/01: Where is Matthew?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#(0110_)0111/0112: Robservations 08/07/01: Where is Matthew?
« on: August 06, 2001, 07:17:09 PM »
Episode #(110_)111 - In the past week, three attempts have been made on my life by an unknown assassin--a man who has already killed once. I have just learnt that man's identity.

Cottage - I shouldn't have told ya, that was a mistake, Matthew tells Vicki--you know I killed Malloy . I don't know that, says Vicki, I don't know anything! If I let you go, says Matthew, you'll go straight to the sheriff--you'll tell him that. I won't, I promise, says Vicki, eyes wide. I don't believe your promise! he says. I don't want to hurt you, she assures him, backing away, I just want to get out of here, I'll forget everything! You can't forget, he says, pursuing her. Oh yes I can! she says. You know the truth--you're the only one who does. But I won't tell! she vows, desperation in her eyes--I wear I won't. I might believe that if...he says. If? she asks. You were dead, he finishes. (brrrr!)

That's the only way I'll ever be safe is with you dead, Matthew says--they say dead people don't tell tales. (Bill Malloy does!) Supposing you do kill me, says Vicki, when they're at opposite sides of the table, you won't be safe. Why not? he asks. They'll find my body--and will know it was you! she says. No one ever suspected me--except you, he says. I didn't suspect you, she says. Not at all? he asks. Not for a minute, she says. You thought it was Mr. Collins all along, muses Matthew. Yes! she says, nodding furiously. Sorry you found out otherwise, he says, I don't want to kill ya, I never killed anybody before--not deliberate, anyway. What about Bill Malloy? she asks. That was an accident, he says. It was? she asks hopefully. I didn't set out to kill him, says Matthew. How did it happen? asks Vicki. We had a struggle, he fell from the rocks. What were you fighting about? asks Vicki. He was out to harm the Collins family, says Matthew, I was trying to stop him. How? she asks. I don't know, says Matthew, I just know he came to see Mz. Stoddard that night, he said he was gonna get the whole family in trouble--I knew Mz. Stoddard was plenty scared--that's why I went after him, to tell him to leave her alone, stop makin' trouble for her--not to kill him. You caught up with him at the cliff, guesses Vicki. I told Malloy I had to talk to him, he says, told him to leave Mz. Stoddard alone, but he didn't listen to me, if he'd have listened to me, he'd be alive now--he tried to walk away from me, I grabbed him, then it happened. He fell, says Vicki. Ye-uh, says Matthew--he was dead when he hit the rocks--I went down the beach and found him lying there dead, face down in the water, it was a terrible sight. Vicki creeps toward the door, as she says, "I can imagine," but he steps in front of her. Tried to wash the body out to sea, says Matthew, I figured the current would sweep it out to the middle of the ocean where nobody'd ever find it. But Roger found it, says Vicki. Yeah, he come right after Malloy died, before I had time to wash the body out to sea, says Matthew--I hid behind some rocks--he didn't see me, only Malloy. Then he was telling the truth, says Vicki, it was just an accident. I haven't got a reason for lyin' to ya, says Matthew, not now. I believe you, says Vicki, really, I do--and if I believe you, then the sheriff will, too. The sheriff's not going to know about it, says Matthew. Why, because you're going to kill me? asks Vicki. I have to now, he says. No, she says gently, because right now, all you're involved in is an accidental death
--but if you kill me, you'll be guilty of murder in cold blood! If I don't kill ya, I'll go to prison, for years, maybe! he says. What's a few years compared with a murder charge? she asks--it could cost you your life! He stares at her, considering what she said.

That sheriff has been out there over 20 minutes, frets Frank to Liz in Collinwood's drawing room--why hasn't he found Vicki? Liz, sitting on the sofa, says she doesn't know. He sits beside her and tells her he should he helping them search. The sheriff was right, says Liz, he and the deputy know the grounds better than you do. It would be something, he says--sitting here waiting, doing nothing is driving me nuts!--what's taking so long? She stands and asks if he has any idea of the size of this property--if Vicki wandered off into the woods, it could be hours before they found her--she opens the window to look out--but that isn't saying she isn't going to be found. He comes over to her. You really believe that? he asks. I want to believe it, she says. So do I, he says--I would if I didn't know what's already happened--two attempts on her life--that's what really has me worried. I know, says Liz. Are there any back roads leading from this place into town? he asks. One, she says, but it's practically impassable. I know she didn't take the main road into town, I'd have passed her coming up here, he says--maybe Vicki went someplace with Carolyn. No, says Liz, I sent Carolyn to a friend's house earlier this afternoon--she was very upset about her uncle--and Vicki was with me when she left. That means she must be here on the grounds, someplace close by, says Frank, but where could she be? He paces, and Liz continues to look out the window. Someone knocks at the door and Liz rushes to answer. It's the sheriff. You haven't found her? says Frank--no trace, no nothing? No, says Patterson, not yet--I want to use the phone and get more men up here right away. He dials the foyer phone and tells Chris to round up as many men as he can and get them to Collinwood ASAP--it's an emergency--I'll explain later. Did you make a thorough search of the grounds? asks Frank. As thorough as we could, he says, we didn't go into the woods, but can't do that without more men. Did you find anything, demands Frank--a broken twig, a footprint, something that would give you some indication of where she might have gone? No, we didn't, says Patterson. Did you see that broken urn down by the Old House? asks Frank. Yes, it seemed recent, says Patterson, I didn't know what to make of that. I'm sure that Vicki's in some kind of trouble, says Frank. As soon as we get more men up here, we'll go through the grounds with a fine tooth comb, says Patterson, if she's here, we'll find her. You said that before! says Frank belligerently. What do you want me to do? asks Patterson. I'm sorry, says Frank, I know you're doing everything you can. How many buildings on the property? Patterson asks Liz. Three, she replies, this, the Old House and caretaker's cottage--then there are greenhouses, barns, stalls, sheds--why?
I just don't think we should limit the search to the grounds, I think we should search the buildings, too, says Patterson. I don't think that's necessary, says Liz--she's obviously not here--Mr. Garner and I went to the Old House, she wasn't there, and I phoned the caretaker's cottage and she wasn't there, either, so I think it's a waste of time searching any of them.

Think about it, Vicki tells Matthew--think what'll happen if you kill me--the sheriff will find out, come after you, and he'll capture you and you'll have to stand trial for murder. No, he says, it won't happen that way. But it will, she says--the sheriff isn't stupid, he'll know how it happened. He didn't connect me with Malloy, says Matthew. That was an accidental death, completely different, says Vicki, this is premeditated murder--so he'll be questioning, and sooner or later, they'll question you. Why me? he asks. Because they'll find out I didn't leave Collinwood--Mrs. Stoddard will tell them--they'll know I must be somewhere here on the grounds--there are only four people here--Mrs. Stodddard, Mrs. Johnson, David, and you--she points at him--(not wise, Vicki; your concept is cunning, but this man has blinders on)--and sooner or later, they're going to come up with the right answer. They'll think you just went away, he says. Without telling anyone? she asks, creeping backward toward the door--without taking anything--who's going to believe that? You're trying to scare me, confuse me, he says, blocking her way, it's not gonna do you any good. It's not going to do you any good if you kill me, she says, you know that. I have to keep you quiet, he says, advancing toward her, I wish I didn't have to kill ya, I wished you hadn't forced me into it. Forced you into it? asks Vicki, incredulous. You wouldn't stop your meddlin', he says, I tried to stop ya, to scare ya off--that first time was the time I come to your room. So it was you, she says, backing away--what were you planning to do? Scare ya enough so you'd stop your pryin' he says--you'd stay out of things that didn't concern ya, but you wouldn't--too bad you didn't. And last night on the road, she says, it was you that tried to run me down, wasn't it? Matthew admits it. Did you want to kill me then? she asks. I could have run over you then if I wanted to, he says. But you didn't want to! she tells him. Not at the last minute, he says, I guess I had some foolish notion I'd scared ya enough to stop your snoopin' and get you out of Collinwood--I might have known you'd go straight to the sheriff. And tonight, when you dropped that urn, she says. What about it? he asks. Were you trying to kill me then? she asks. I'm not sure, he says--I thought it might hit ya. But it didn't, she says, you didn't want it to hit me. Maybe not, he says. You don't want a murder on your conscience! She says. I wouldn't kill anything unless I was forced into it! he says, pushing her down in one of the kitchen chairs--you forced me into it! You don't want to kill me, says Vicki. Stop talking! he rails at her. What are you going to do? she asks. I'm not sure, he says, dipping his head down, I have to think!--he looks at her pale, scared face.

There's only one thing I can do--kill ya! he says. No! she pleads. I haven't got any choice, he says, I can't let you go, you know too much. They'll know, she says, they'll find out! Not if they never find your body, he says. But they will! she screams. There's a little cove about two miles up the coast--they'll never find ya there, says Matthew. No, says Vicki, shaking her head in terror. You'll disappear and for a while they'll ask a lot of questions, he says, then they'll stop asking questions and I'll be safe. No, Matthew, no! she cries, rising from the chair. I wish it didn't have to be this way, he says.. She bursts into tears, and he orders her to stop crying. I can't! she wails--I can't. There's one thought that bothers me, says Liz, wrapping her arms around herself against the cold. She and Frank stand outside the front doors of Collinwood--the grounds are full of places Vicki could have stumbled into--caves under the cliffs--if she does stumble into one of those, it will be days before we find her. You don't think she'd wander into one of those places by herself, do you? he asks. It's possible, she says. I think maybe you'd better tell the sheriff this, he says, give him a list of places to search. I've lived in Collinwood all my life, she says, and I don't know the grounds that well--neither does Roger. Who does? he asks. Only one man knows the property like the back of his hand--Matthew, she says. You've already asked him to search for Vicki, says Frank. Yes, she says, and it's a bit odd--usually when I asked Matthew to do something, he does it and reports right back--it's odd that he hasn't--I'd better go in and call his cottage. She enters the house and Frank closes the double doors.

The phone rings at the cottage. Both Matthew and Vicki stand frozen, staring at it. Aren't you going to answer it? she asks him. No, he says. Why not? she asks. Because there's only one person it could be, he says--Mz. Stoddard. She runs to answer the phone, but he beats her to it, stopping her. The phone rings on. Vicki sits down, straining toward the phone, until the ringing stops. Why didn't you want to talk to her? asks Vicki. She thinks I'm out lookin' for ya, he says--that's what I want her to think. What good will that do? she asks. When I get up to the house, later tonight, I'll say I searched everywhere, says Matthew, and couldn't find ya--she'll believe me--she won't make any connection between you and me, neither will anyone else.
Realizing he's right, and that she might die very soon, a hopeless expression comes over Vicki's face and her eyes fill with tears.

Frank paces the drawing room. What time is it? asks Liz. A few minutes past eight, he says. Is that all? she asks. The longer she's gone, he says, the more sure I am that Vicki's in real danger. I know, says Liz. It's not that she might be lost in the woods or trapped in a cave someplace, says Frank, sitting in another chair near her--I have a feeling someone is responsible for her disappearance--someone who's already tried to kill her on at least two different occasions. Why would anyone want to kill Vicki? asks Liz. Possibly they think she has knowledge dangerous to him or her--probably has something to do with Malloy's death--you knew Malloy very well, didn't you? We were close friends for years, she says. Who stood to benefit from his death? asks Frank. Nobody, she says, I can't think of anyone with a reason for wanting him dead--as far as I know, he didn't have any enemies. And he was on the best of terms with you and your family when he died? asks Frank. Not exactly, says Liz--he came to me a few days before he died, he also came to me the night he was killed, and said he had to make trouble for the family--he didn't say what kind, just that he had to do something I wouldn't like, and that he had to do it. Did you have any idea what he was talking about? asks Frank. I wasn't sure, says Liz hesitantly. Be honest with me, for Vicki's sake, says Frank--do you think Malloy found out something about that manslaughter case Roger was involved in 10 years ago? I thought it was possible, admits Liz. That would have given Roger a motive for wanting to see Malloy dead, says Frank. Roger didn't kill Bill Malloy, insists Liz, and he hasn't been making these threats on Vicki, and if anybody is holding her now, it's not Roger because he's in town with the police. Frank sighs. I know, and so is Sam Evans, he says--at one point I thought Evans might have killed Malloy and he's the one trying to kill Vicki because she knew too much, but that doesn't make sense now--the police are holding Evans, too. (Not in the same cell, I hope!) We're right back where we started, says Liz--nobody had a motive for killing Bill--if he was killed. She rises from her chair and goes to the window, opening it again. She gazes out. Frank joins her and asks if she can think of anyone who would want to protect her, Roger, and whole Collins family? (Bingo, Frank!) Protect me from what? she asks. Scandal, he suggests, or whatever trouble Malloy was going to cause--it would have to be somebody close to you
--so close, that person would kill for you--can you think of anyone who fits that description? Liz mulls it over.

Why are you looking at me like that? Vicki asks Matthew. He takes a chair over and sits in front of her. I'm thinking, he says--the best way to kill ya--I don't want to do it, I wish I didn't have to. Nobody has to kill! she protests. Sometimes men have to protect themselves, he says. You said you'd never killed before, she reminds him, why start now? I was lyin' when I told ya I'd never killed before, I have, he admits--I killed a dog--that dog was old, I killed him to put him out of his misery. This confession relieves Vicki, who says there's a great deal of difference between killing a dog and killing a human being! He didn't suffer, not for a minute, says Matthew, I saw to that--he didn't know what had happened to him. How did you kill him? she asks. I broke his neck, says Matthew. Vicki looks away, unable to bear it. He died a peaceful death, he assures her, he didn't suffer--I'm not going to make you suffer, either. He stands. Stay away from me! she says, backing away from him. I'm sorry, he says. You're not going to kill me without a struggle! she screams shrilly--I'll kick you and scratch your face and there will be marks all over it, and everybody can see! Stop tryin' to fight me, it'll be easier for ya, he says--and grabs her around the throat. At that moment, Liz enters the cottage. Matthew! she calls, but while he removes his hands from her throat, Matthew doesn't let Vicki go. He's going to kill me! screeches Vicki
--he killed Bill Malloy and he's going to kill me! Liz stares at this tableau in astonishment.

NOTES: Wasn't this episode amazing? Didn't you wish they would keep away from Liz, Patterson and Frank and keep tabs only on Vicki and Matthew? The suspense between the latter two (and isn't his Thayer David's acting amazing?) was riveting as she tried desperately to save her neck and he warred with himself about killing her--but painlessly. I see Ron Sproat wrote this episode. Matthew was alternately terrifying and sympathetic. He appears to be a gentle man with a core of violence--or is it the other way around? His description of how he killed the dog was actually sad, but to him, he did things the right way--and would give Vicki an equally merciful death. Somehow, I felt Vicki could have handled him better; she kept telling him he'd be caught, but he had a plan for strangling her, then dumping her body far away, so it was an empty threat--he might have gotten off free. Lucky for Vicki, Frank's question to Liz about who would want to protect her sent her to the right place. Will Matthew kill the woman he loves to protect himself from being punished for Malloy's murder? He did all this out of love for Liz, how far will that go?

Episode #112 - I have just lived through the most terrifying hour of my life--I have learned the identity of a murderer, and he has attempted to kill me--I would not be alive now if someone hadn't interrupted him in the act of trying to murder me.

What is this? demands Liz, what's going on? He's trying to kill me, claims Vicki, still in Matthew's grasp. Be quiet, he orders. Let Miss Winters go! orders Liz. When he doesn't do it the first time, the tells him again. This time, he releases her. He tried to kill me, says Vicki--he killed Bill Malloy and he just tried to kill me. Is that true? asks Liz. It's true, admits Matthew, shocking Liz.

Liz steps forward. I can't believe that you could kill anyone, she says wonderingly. I didn't mean to kill him, says Matthew, it was an accident--I was only tryin' to stop him from makin' trouble for ya, protect ya. Protect me? asks Liz, he was my friend! He wasn't talkin' like a friend, says Matthew, a friend doesn't make trouble for a friend. You overheard the conversation the night he came to the house, says Liz. That's why I followed him after he left the house, explains Matthew--I only wanted to tell him to leave you alone. How did he fall from the cliff? asks Liz. He lost his balance, he fell, says Matthew, after I grabbed him--I shouldn't have done that, he pulled away from me, and that's when he slipped and fell--I didn't want to kill him, I didn't mean to, you believe me, don't ya, Mz. Stoddard? Yes, she assures him. I did it for you, he says, I was only tryin' to protect ya. I understand, she says. You won't let anything happen to me, will you? asks Matthew sadly. Be careful, he's dangerous, warns Vicki. Be quiet, says Liz. It's her fault anybody had to find out, accuses Matthew. Matthew! chastises Liz. She had to keep snoopin', it's her fault, Mz. Stoddard! he insists. Keep away from me, warns Vicki. I didn't want to hurt her, but she forced me into it, he says. Listen to me, says Liz, a friendly hand on his arm, Miss Winters isn't going to hurt you. She'll go to the sheriff, says Matthew, tell him everything she knows. No she won't, says Liz, I won't let her. You won't? he asks. I won't let anything happen to you, she says. You promise? he asks. Yes, she says--you trust me, don't you? You're the only person that's ever been good to me, he says softly--I trust ya. Then you'll let me make the decision, she says. As long as you stick to your promise, he says. Have I ever gone back on my word? asks. No, he says, you're a Collins, a Collins doesn't do that. (Has he ever met Roger and David?) Then believe me when I tell you you can trust me, she says. I believe ya, he says. Good, says Liz--Vicki, go to the house. She slowly walks to the door. No! shouts Matthew, I trust you, but that doesn't mean I trust her--the minute she walks in the door, she'll phone for the sheriff. No, says Vicki, I wouldn't. No she won't, says Liz, not if I tell her not to--Vicki, go to the house, straight to your room, and don't talk to anybody. All right, agrees Vicki. No! says Matthew, barring Vicki's way, she's not leaving here--how are you going to keep her from telling what she knows? We'll keep a watch over her, Liz assures him. We will, he says. We won't let her say a word to anybody, says Liz. You're really willin' to help me, says Matthew. We're friends, aren't we? asks Liz. Aye-yuh, he says. And you just said you trusted me, she reminds him. A person has to trust somebody in this world, he says, I wouldn't have much left if I couldn't trust you. Then you'll let me make the decisions, says Liz--Vicki, we'll go to the house. Matthew blocks the doorway. NO! he bellows. Matthew, you just said you'd let me make the decisions! says Liz. (This woman has nerves of steel!) Not that one, says Matthew, back against the door. Vicki cowers in the corner. You may trust her, but I don't, says Matthew, she's not leaving my sight. All right, then, says Liz, we'll all go to the main house together. Why? he asks. Because we have to talk, make plans, says Liz. Why can't we talk here? he asks her. Because I prefer to go to the main house, she says. Why, Mz. Stoddard? he asks. Why does it matter? she asks. Who's up there? he asks. Just Mrs. Johnson and David, says Liz. That's all? he asks. That's all, she says--come on, Matthew. You're real anxious to get me back to that house, why? he asks. I'm not anxious, she says. Who's up there? demands Matthew--the sheriff?--did you call him to look for her? No, says Liz. You're a bad liar, says Matthew. Matthew! she says. You've never lied before, you shouldn't have done it now, you shouldn't have done it--and he launches himself at Liz, hands outstretched for her throat. NO! screams Vicki, and he stops, staring into the steady gaze of the only person in the world who's ever helped him.
Matthew's face shudders as he drops his hands and backs away from Liz, opens the door, and leaves the cottage. Liz stares, stunned.

Foyer of Collinwood - Frank asks Patterson where his men are now. Half of them are combing the beach, says Patterson, the other half are looking in the woods. There are some caves that Mrs. Stoddard...begins Frank, but he stops when Liz and Vicki come in and the latter runs into his arms, calling his name. Where have you been, what happened? demands Frank. Matthew, he tried to kill me! says Vicki. The caretaker? asks Patterson.
I got there just in time, says Liz--you'd better go after him, sheriff. Why did Matthew try to kill Miss Winters? asks Patterson. He was afraid of her, says Liz. Why? asks Patterson. He killed Bill Malloy, says Vicki, he thought that I knew! He didn't mean to kill him, it was an accident, says Liz. (Notice how fast she defends Matthew.) He admitted that to you? Patterson asks Vicki, but it's Liz who answers yes. Is he still on the property? asks Patterson. No, he ran out of the cottage, says Liz--Vicki and I waited until we heard his car drive away--he's on the road somewhere. You mean the old station wagon? asks Patterson. Yes, says Liz. I'm going to put out an alarm for his arrest, says Patterson, and goes to the phone to dial. You look like you're going to collapse, says Frank, supporting Vicki. I feel a little woozy, she says. He suggests she sit down and brings her into the drawing room and seats her on the couch. Liz asks her if she wants something to drink. I'm all right, Vicki assures her. I think you'd better have a sip of brandy, says Liz--I'll have one, too. She pours. You were wonderful, Vicki praises Liz, if it wasn't for you, I'd be dead! How did you know where Vicki was? asks Frank. I didn't have the faintest idea, says Liz--something you said made me wonder--when you asked me if I knew anyone loyal enough to maybe kill for me, it made me think of Matthew. If you suspected Matthew, why didn't you tell me? asks Frank, why did you go down to his cottage alone? I didn't suspect him, says Liz, there was just a small doubt I thought he could clear up--instead... He tried to kill me, finishes Vicki. I didn't believe it was possible! says Liz, handing Vicki the brandy. I posted a general alarm, reports Patterson (Mike R. Phone appears in shot)--the highway patrol is going to put a guard on every road leading out of here--I'm sure they're going to pick him up. I hope so, says Vicki. Patterson sits next to her and says he's going to need a complete accounting of everything that happened to her from the time she left this house. I went to the Old House to see if I could find David, says Vicki, and... And? asks Patterson, writing in his pad. And Matthew tried to kill me, says Vicki shakily. How? asks Patterson. He pushed one of those big stone urns off the roof, but it just missed me! says Vicki Did you see Matthew on the roof? Queries the sheriff. Vicki shakes her head and says no, I looked up, but I was scared to look up for too long, and then I ran to his cottage. Why did you go to his cottage, why didn't you come back here? asks Patterson. Because it was the closest place--I didn't think I would be in danger, says Vicki. Was Matthew in the cottage when you got there? he asks. No, it was empty, she says, I went to the phone to call you and that's when he came in--he stopped me, wouldn't let me use the phone, wouldn't let me call you, wouldn't let me leave, he said he didn't want a lot of police there, bothering Mrs. Stoddard. Did you suspect him then? asks Patterson. No, says Vicki, not until later--he lied to me--we were talking about the car that almost ran me down, and he knew the exact time it had happened--now that couldn't have happened unless he'd been driving that car--and that's when I guessed the truth. And Matthew realized that you knew, says Patterson. Yes, he guessed, says Vicki. What happened then? asks Patterson. He admitted everything, says Vicki, he said that he was the one responsible for all the things that had happened to me, he also admitted he killed Bill Malloy. And then he tried again to kill you? asks Patterson. Vicki nods, near tears--he tried to break my neck, and if Mrs. Stoddard hadn't come in--and then the flood of tears comes. Patterson pats her shoulder. Liz tells George that Vicki isn't in any condition to answer more questions, I can tell you the rest. Go ahead, says the sheriff. Liz sets her drink down on the table and says, I went to Matthew's cottage and found Vicki and Matthew there--it looked as if he were trying to strangle her--then Vicki screamed and said that he had killed Bill Malloy and was now trying to kill her--I told him to let go of her and he did--then he started to explain what happened the night Bill was killed--it seems he and Bill got into a struggle at the top of the cliffs--Bill slipped and was killed--he didn't mean to kill him, it was an accident. What were they struggling about? asks Patterson. They had an argument, says Liz. What about, did he say? asks George. Liz hesitates, then stands. Yes, it was about me, she says--Matthew overheard a conversation between Bill and me--he thought Bill was going to make trouble for me. What kind of trouble? Asks Patterson. He didn't know, says Liz, he thought there was going to be some kind of trouble and wanted to protect me from it--she sits--in a way, I feel responsible. Why should you? asks Patterson. Because none of this would have happened if Matthew hadn't been so loyal to me, she says. Don't blame yourself, you shouldn't! says Vicki. After he confessed, says Patterson, did he try to harm you in any way. No, says Liz. I thought for a minute he was going to, says Vicki--I thought he was going to kill her! He didn't, says Liz, instead he ran out of the cottage. Do you have any idea where he might have gone? asks Patterson. None whatsoever, says Liz. Does he have any friends or relatives who live in this area? Asks the sheriff, people who might help him, people he might try to hide with? I don't know, says Liz--I know very little about Matthew's private life, he never talked about it. I guess I'd better go back to the cottage and see if I can get some clues to his whereabouts, says Patterson. I'll go with you, volunteers Liz--that is, if you're all right, Vicki. I'm fine, she says. You're still shaking, observes Liz. I can't help it, says Vicki. It will take her a little while to get over the shock, says Frank, I'll stay with her. Liz and Patterson leave. Frank sits beside Vicki and reminds her that she should just remember she's safe now. I won't feel safe until they find him, she says, until he's caught, I'll still feel I'm in danger.

You know what we're going to do, Frank offers, we're going to get out of here--I'm going to drive you into town and buy you the biggest streak Collinsport has to offer--are you agreeable? Very agreeable, says Vicki, and they rise from the couch. Roger enters the house. Oh, it's you, he says coolly to Vicki, then asks Garner what he's doing here. Taking Vicki to dinner, says Frank. Have you heard what happened? Vicki asks Roger. Yes, he replies, it was quite a shock, wasn't it?--where's my sister. At Matthew's cottage, with the sheriff, answers Vicki. Thank you, says Roger, and turns to go. Vicki stops him. I just want to say how very sorry I am for all the things that happened, she says. Sorry?--why should you be sorry? he asks icily--for assuming I'm a homicidal maniac?--putting me through the worst experience of my life? (I think she's got you beat there, Rog.)--think nothing of it, it was nothing.
I'm sorry you feel that way, says Vicki. I don't think you're being fair to Vicki, says Frank. Don't you? asks Roger--I do--and he turns and leaves. I feel awful, says Vicki. Why should you? asks Frank, why should he get up on his high horse--you had every reason in the world to suspect him. Mrs. Stoddard's been so good to me, he is her brother, says Vicki, I accused him of killing me--it's almost like I betrayed her. I'm sure Mrs. Stoddard doesn't look at it that way, he assures her. I hope not, she says. You know what you're going to do? he says--forget about Roger Collins and the whole Collins family and you're going to relax and have a good time and forget about everything that happened today. That's a pretty tall order, says Vicki. Just the same, you're going to do it, he says. That sounds like a command, she says, smiling. It is, he says, grinning back. She promises to try, and he says it's nice to see her smile. It's nice to smile, she says. Shall we go? he says. Mmm-hmm, says Vicki, I just want to leave a note for Mrs. Stoddard telling her where we are. OK, he says.

The sheriff is going through papers at Matthew's cottage. He asks Liz if she's ever heard of Walter Morgan. No, says Liz. It seems to be his brother, says Patterson--he talks in the letter about some family property, he lives in Coldwater, Maine. You think Matthew's headed for Coldwater? Asks Liz. It's certainly possible, I'd better call the highway patrol and put a double guard on roads leading over there. He dials the phone and makes it so, telling Chris what to do--you have? asks Patterson--that's probably where he's headed--I'm going back to my office now, if you want me, call me there--and do call me when you pick him up. He hangs up. What did he say? asks Liz. He said a car was seen matching the description of Matthew's station wagon, says Patterson, on highway 105 and that heads right into Coldwater. Is the car far from here? asks Liz. About 50 miles, he says, and going about 80 miles an hour--they're going to pick him up, don't worry--they'll be sure to get him. Roger enters. Efficiency from the local police force, he says sarcastically, that's a refreshing change. Hello, Patterson greets him. Liz asks Roger when he got back. A few minutes ago, he says, it's taken this long for the local constabulary to decide I'm not an ex-murderer. I'm sorry that you had to be detained, says Patterson. Of course you're sorry, says Roger--everybody's sorry, myself in particular. Patterson assures Liz he'll be in touch, and will let her know what's happening. She thanks him and he leaves. Roger removes his hat and asks her if that thank you was quite necessary--"I was arrested, you know, and I am your brother." Stop it, she says--do you know what's happening? Yes, he says, it's quite a shock--who'd have thought old Matthew was responsible for Malloy's death? He did it for me, for us, says Liz--he was trying to protect the family. At least he was loyal, whatever else he was guilty of, he says--you can't say the same for certain others of the staff--a certain little orphan governess, Miss Winters by name. What about Vicki? asks Liz. What about...? he says, in disbelief--Liz, it's her fault that I was arrested and publicly humiliated--I demand that you discharge her! I'll do no such thing, says Liz. I don't understand you, he says, why do you defend her? Vicki had perfectly good reasons for suspecting what she did, insists Liz, you brought it on yourself--you didn't have to hide evidence from the police, bury that pen! I was trying to spare you the ordeal of an investigation, he says. You weren't thinking of yourself? she asks him. I was thinking of both of us, he says, but that had nothing to do with Vicki. I'm not going to let her go, that's final, says Liz. All right, I give up, he says, I'm not going to argue with you. Good, she says. At last that nightmare is over, he says, we don't have to worry about that anymore. I don't think that's quite true, she says--aren't you forgetting about Burke? Of course I'm not forgetting about Burke, says Roger, won't he be disappointed when he learns that I had nothing to do with Malloy's death. If I know Burke, he'll also be twice as determined to destroy us, says Liz. I'm not afraid of Devlin anymore, says Roger. I'm not afraid of him, either, says Liz, but don't underestimate him
--he won't stop until he's satisfied--which means we must destroy him--or be destroyed!

Frank brings Vicki home from their date. She thanks him for dinner--and everything. My pleasure, he says--feeling better? Much, she says. They each open one of the doors. It helped to get out of the house for a few hours, she says. Hoe about getting away for a weekend? He suggests--how about coming to Bangor?--I'll get you a room at the hotel and you can relax and forget this ordeal--I'll show you around town--maybe we can dig up some more about Betty Hanscomb, if you want--what do you say? I would like to get away, she admits. Then say yes, he says, smiling. I'll try to arrange it, she says. Liz joins them. I'm glad you're up, says Frank, I wanted to ask you a question--I was wondering if Vicki could have the weekend off--I'd like her to come to Bangor for a visit. If you'd like the weekend off, you can certainly have it, says Liz. I would, agrees Vicki. Good, then it's all settled, says Frank--I'll make the arrangements and call you tomorrow. Fine, says Vicki. I waited up for you, says Liz, because I wanted to tell you about Matthew--we've had news of him. The smiles disappears from Vicki's face. Have the police caught him? she asks. No, says Liz, but he was spotted on the highway, 50 miles form here, driving toward Coldwater. Are they sure it was his car? asks Vicki. Yes, says Liz, and he was headed away from Collinsport. That makes me feel a lot better, says Vicki, I was afraid he was somewhere nearby. It's a great relief for me, too, says Frank, I feel better about leaving you now knowing you're going to be safe. Vicki links her arm in his and leads him to the door, reminding him that he has a long ride back to Bangor. I'll phone you tomorrow, he says. All right, she says--and thank you again--for everything. For nothing, he says, and leaves. Vicki closes the doors. Liz tells her how sorry she is for everything that has happened to her in the past few days. You don't owe me any apology, says Vicki--I should apologize to you!--for everything I've done to Roger, going to the sheriff...
You had every reason in the world for going to the sheriff and suspecting Roger, Liz assures her as they head upstairs. He doesn't seem to think so, says Vicki. He's being unreasonable, says Liz--pay no attention to him, I won't. You're very kind, says Vicki--and it's also very kind of you to wait up for me. I wanted you to know about Matthew, says Liz as they pause on the landing--I thought you'd have a better night's sleep. I will, says Vicki, I feel better knowing he isn't in the vicinity. You have nothing to be worried about, says Liz,--he's miles away from Collinsport. Vicki grins at her and they go to their respective bedrooms.

A lone, dark figure carries a lantern to the Old House.
When he gets to the door, he enters. It looks like Matthew--is it?

NOTES: Looks like Matthew isn't as far away as everyone thinks! If he has doubled back and is going to hide in the Old House, Vicki isn't safe at all!

Frank must really like her, inviting her for a weekend as he has. Of course, she's to stay at the hotel and it will be completely platonic. Vicki isn't that kind of girl, at least I don't think she is.

I can't blame Roger for being pissed, as he was forced to stay in a jail cell--and perhaps even share it with Sam Evans! Horrors! Truthfully, Roger is just being snooty. He's done some pretty rotten things to Vicki since she came to Collinwood, and some punishment was in order. I'd say he and Vicki are even. I was very glad when Liz refused his order to dismiss Vicki. I'm glad she realizes that Vicki has been through a lot at the hands of the Collins family and deserves better treatment. Plus, Liz apparently agrees that the evidence against Roger DID look bad.

For a moment there, it looked like Matthew was going to murder Liz, he was so agitated, but instead, he chose to flee. I don't think he could have done it, and if by chance he did, I suspect he'd have killed himself next. I don't know why, but I can't help but feel sympathy for Matthew, murderer or not. His intentions were good, his loyalty true, and he loves Liz.

Poor Vicki hasn't had much luck lately, and one wonders how much has to happen to her before she calls it quits at Collinwood.

Love, Robin