Author Topic: What Might the New DS Mean to the Festival?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
What Might the New DS Mean to the Festival?
« on: April 16, 2004, 08:44:51 PM »
If the pilot is successful, and the new DS is going to be on the fall schedule, the promotions should be in full swing by mid-August.  Do you suppose that might mean an unexpected amount of interest in the Festival?

Would the Fest organizers be sorry they moved the Fest to Tarrytown, instead of remaing in NYC, where a larger audience might have found them?

Would those interested in the new DS show up expecting to hear about that?  And would the organizers change things to accomodate the new show?

So much to speculate on.....so little time....[lghy]

But seriously....what might a very successful New DS mean to future Festivals?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:What Might the New DS Mean to the Festival?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 08:55:37 PM »
I'll tell you what I think it will mean--TOTAL CHAOS at a venue not meant to accommodate crowds in the multiple thousands come trampling in wanting to meet their fave-raves.

I'm pretty sure both Alec Newman and Kelly Hu have major followings from other fandoms.  I'd think it likely that they would be invited to do personal appearances at the DS Festival, but perhaps that won't happen (one can only pray).

Don't forget the kamikaze Angel hags (maybe I should call them Angelenos?) who will be frothing at the mouth for vengeance because, as we all know, DS killed their show.

It's going to be a loooonnnngggg Festival weekend, folks.

sighing,  G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 09:34:04 PM »
Ah, Gothick - always seeing the sunny  [sun]  side of every situation.  [wink2]  :-*

But so far as Rainey's questions go, I'd have to look up the stats, but I don't know off hand how much the '91 series contributed to Fest attendance. I'm sure it bumped attendance up - particularly when several actors from the '91 series attended the Fests in the early-to-mid '90s. However, I think that Sci-Fi's showings of the original DS contributed to a bigger bump in attendance.

I think that regardless of whether the WB pilot gets picked up or not, the Fest will probably have something about it. If it doesn't, it would really be nice if they showed the pilot. And if it does get a pickup, then it would be nice if they give us sort of a sneak peek. But with the Fest being in August and in NY, who knows if any of the actors would be available to attend because by August the show would already be in production. (Though I suppose someone could always fly in for a day appearance.)

As for what effect a hit WB DS might have on the Fests, well, there's no question but that it would only help the Fests become bigger than they already are...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 09:52:30 PM »
I think there's a huge difference between the appearances of the 1991 series stars, none of whom had fan followings in the US outside of their work on DS, and people like Newman and Hu, both of whom have done substantial work on things with huge cult followings (especially the Dune and X Men series).

but no doubt time will tell!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 09:54:55 PM »
Oh, of course I exempt the Divine Barbara Steele in my previous statement, but her fan following mainly relates to work she did in the Sixties and Seventies--when she appeared on DS she wasn't involved with stuff that had the kind of major visibility that Newman and Hu's work has had.

I don't think Steele ever came to NYC to appear at one of the Festivals, but maybe she did and I missed it (or was out of the country at the time).

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 02:16:59 AM »
Hmmmm...the casting choices seem to lean towards the "young hottie" type, so I'm sure the show will attract attention just for that.  If the aforementioned young hotties show up at the Fests, then the Fests will turn into 'N Sync concerts.  Not the best thing, but then again, if that's the price we must pay for having hotties... ;)

At the very least, I'm sure there will be some sort of promotional bits for the new DS at the Fest.  The Fests are too good a venue for a publicity department to pass up. 

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 01:04:01 PM »
I think it would be utterly fantastic to meet the renowned Blair Brown if she ever attended one.  And think of the fun if all three incarnations of Angelique made an appearance!  The Fest organizers could schedule a "witch-off".  And then having all three Willies up on stage.  Of course, the ultimate would be - if Jonathan Frid could ever be coaxed to come "one last time" - all three Barnabas' attend.  But the best thing that could possibly happen is having fans of the 2004 series learn about the original, appreciating the "roots" of their new show and how, if it wasn't for that "ancient" program which aired so many years ago, they wouldn't have what they can now enjoy.

Gerard

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 11:49:24 PM »
And think of the fun if all three incarnations of Angelique made an appearance!

And then having all three Willies up on stage.

Of course, the ultimate would be - if Jonathan Frid could ever be coaxed to come "one last time" - all three Barnabas' attend.

The Festival could put all three actors of each charcter up on stage and play a bizzaro version of the old t.v. game show "To Tell The Truth". I can see it now......emcee Jim Pierson saying; "Will the real Barnabas Collins please stand up.  ;)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Nancy

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 04:23:23 AM »
I don't think Steele ever came to NYC to appear at one of the Festivals, but maybe she did and I missed it (or was out of the country at the time).

Yes, Barbara Steele attended one Festival in NYC.  I think it was 1996 or 1997 but I'm not sure.  I do remember her being at one of them though.

Nancy

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 05:48:04 AM »
It was 95.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 06:15:47 PM »
Hmmmm...the casting choices seem to lean towards the "young hottie" type, so I'm sure the show will attract attention just for that.  If the aforementioned young hotties show up at the Fests, then the Fests will turn into 'N Sync concerts.  Not the best thing, but then again, if that's the price we must pay for having hotties... ;)

And those 'NSync types are going to ridicule us unmercifully i'm afraid. . .
Julia99

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 01:37:52 AM »
I can see it now......emcee Jim Pierson saying; "Will the real Barnabas Collins please stand up.  ;)

Bobubas....what a fantastic idea....kudos!!!

Patti

What a Woman!