Author Topic: New DS Casting Scenario  (Read 3198 times)

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
New DS Casting Scenario
« on: April 09, 2004, 06:48:18 PM »
After putting down her NY Post, Diana Millay races frantically to the phone.

Yes, Diana Millay here.....what do you mean "Diana Millay?"???????.....DIANA MILLAY! Thespian/Author/Gourmet Chef/Witch/Phoenix.  THAT Diana MIllay.  THE Diana Millay......but, the reason for my call......I must have been out when you tried to contact me regarding a cameo on the new Dark Shadows.....but, really, I must refuse.  The only part I will consider is that of Laura....I AM Laura....and I  haven't aged a day since 1969.

So, c'mon, Dan, give her a call.  She's ready for her close-up, Mr. Curtis.

n

oh, and p.s. I heard that Roger Davis tried to get his house cast as Collinwood, but they couldn't afford all that square footage.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re:New DS Casting Scenario
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 11:06:01 PM »
oh, and p.s. I heard that Roger Davis tried to get his house cast as Collinwood, but they couldn't afford all that square footage.

[lol2]  [lol2]   [lol2]    [lol2]   [lol2]

Honestly, I'd be 5x5 with Diana Millay or Roger Davis Real Estate appearing in the new DS series.....just as long as they don't cast William Hung as Mr. Nakamura.

Always, Minja [coolbrows]
Not to be confused with Simon Cowell.
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 11:45:20 PM »
just as long as they don't cast William Hung as Mr. Nakamura.

If the show does get the go, one would hope that they'd never resort to that sort of stunt casting - or any sort of stunt casting, for that matter.  ::)

As for Hung, isn't his inexplicapble rise to fame, after the jawdroppingly awful AI audition he gave, one of the signs of a coming apocalypse?  ;)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 01:51:43 AM »
just as long as they don't cast William Hung as Mr. Nakamura.

I have no idea who this William Hung is ("Who is Hung?"), but your mention of Mr. Nakamura is interesting.

I've been thinking during all the casting discussions here how DS was fairly ground-breaking in casting two black and one Oriental actors during the course of the original run.  True, they were small parts, at least one of which wasn't credited, but at least there was some racial diversity.  If the original show managed some cultural diversity 35 years ago, it would be a shame if the new series neglected to follow through on this.

P.S.  Why is this thread under "Announcements"?  The topic is casting the new DS; seems like a "Current Topic" to me.   :)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 02:18:55 AM »
I have no idea who this William Hung is ("Who is Hung?")

As for Hung, isn't his inexplicapble rise to fame, after the jawdroppingly awful AI audition he gave...

AI = American Idol

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 02:56:45 AM »
AI = American Idol

Oh, THAT guy!  (I had been guessing he must be the latest hot action adventure hero I'm oblivious to).  I wouldn't have known -- since I've never watched American Idol -- but that guy is on TV every time I turn around (I just saw/heard [cringe] him on a morning news show this A.M.).  Thanks for explaining.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 04:30:57 AM »

I only hope that WH is "in" on the farce that is his recording career, is taking it with an admirable amount of good humor, and plans to take the money and run when his 15 minutes is up.

As far as a sign of impending apocalypse....I think a blonde Vicki pretty much covers that prophetic event! >:D  (I'm sure Mark Rainey agrees!)

Always, Minja [vryevl]
However if anyone wants to confuse me with Paula Abdul, I'm 5x5 with that! ;)
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2004, 05:20:37 AM »
As for Hung, isn't his inexplicapble rise to fame, after the jawdroppingly awful AI audition he gave, one of the signs of a coming apocalypse?  ;)

Actually, I thought Bob Dylan's Victoria Secret commercial was a sign of a coming apocalypse...

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2004, 10:27:33 PM »
As far as a sign of impending apocalypse....I think a blonde Vicki pretty much covers that prophetic event!   (I'm sure Mark Rainey agrees!)

Well, a blonde Vicki is not in itself necessarily apocalyptic; Betsy Durkin signaled the end times all those many years ago and she was brunette. No, I'd say that a blonde Vicki only portends catastrophes on the scale of a small western nation sinking into the ocean, nothing worse than that.

--Mark

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 11:26:50 PM »
I've been thinking during all the casting discussions here how DS was fairly ground-breaking in casting two black and one Oriental actors during the course of the original run.  True, they were small parts, at least one of which wasn't credited, but at least there was some racial diversity.
[idontknow]

Sorry to say...I don't know what you're talking about Vlad. Were there two African American actors on DS???? And an Asian actor????

Which eps....screen grabs....[idontknow]  wow!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 11:29:46 PM »
Yes, Diana Millay here.....what do you mean "Diana Millay?"???????.....DIANA MILLAY! Thespian/Author/Gourmet Chef/Witch/Phoenix.  THAT Diana MIllay.  THE Diana Millay......but, the reason for my call......I must have been out when you tried to contact me regarding a cameo on the new Dark Shadows.....but, really, I must refuse.  The only part I will consider is that of Laura....I AM Laura....and I  haven't aged a day since 1969.

:)  :) :)

So, c'mon, Dan, give her a call.  She's ready for her close-up, Mr. Curtis.

AMEN!!!!

Patti

It took a while...but I adore Diana Millay's Laura(s).

(dumb question from me, but was Phoenix touched upon in 1991?)
What a Woman!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 11:30:05 PM »
i agree messing with Vicki's hair is not a good sign it'll be another ICKY VICKI that will be worse than William Hung's voice  :o :o :o

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 11:32:19 PM »

He has a CD out have to give the guy credit have to grab it when you can ;D

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2004, 12:55:25 AM »
i wonder if they plan on Vicki staying a blonde :o
sorry but it would be like me becoming a Yankee fan!

messing with Vicki's hair is not a good sign it'll be another ICKY VICKI that will be worse than William Hung's voice  :o :o :o

I take it that you don't adapt to change well, jennifer.  ;)

The funny thing is that at the time the original DS was produced, the soap convention was that the "good girls" were generally blondes and the "bitches" were brunettes. (Probably the classic example of that was Another World's Alice and Rachel - the blonde Jacqueline Courtney played the victimized Alice and the brunette Robin Strasser played her abuser, Rachel.) DS turned that convention on its head because its blondes were the bitches (Ang, Laura, early Carolyn to some extent) and the brunettes were the good girls (Vicki, Daphne, etc.) (with the redheads falling somewhere in between).

He has a CD out have to give the guy credit have to grab it when you can ;D

But the sad thing is that he doesn't seem to realize that he's more the brunt of a joke than anything else. When you see him in interviews, he certainly seems like he takes everything very seriously and that people honestly believe he has a talent for dancing and singing. If he does get the joke, then he's one of the best actors I've ever seen...

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2004, 01:51:19 AM »
Sorry to say...I don't know what you're talking about Vlad. Were there two African American actors on DS???? And an Asian actor????

I don't recall character names.  When Amanda Harris came back in present time as Olivia Corey and was trying to get the painting to have it x-rayed, she had an Asian servant who took the painting for the x-ray.

When King Johnny came for Magda and had the trial, he was accompanied by a large black gypsy who was mute (because his tongue had been cut out).

Off-hand I don't recall a second.
Josette