Author Topic: OT - Other Favorite TV Shows  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Aristia

• Junior Poster
  • Crazy like a fox!
    • View Profile
Re:Other Favorite TV Shows
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 02:40:45 PM »
Unsolved Mysteries: I can remember lying awake at night after seeing the reportedly true stories of the unexplained on Unsolved Mysteries, worrying that I would be spontaneously combust or be abducted by aliens.

Ahhhhh!  Me too!

I've always been partial to Quantum Leap, Forever Knight, X-Files, Twin Peaks and lately Buffy and Angel.  I liked Friday the 13th the Series too.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Other Favorite TV Shows
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 05:40:43 PM »
T Zone(talking Tina best episode still gives me the chills i was always nice to my daughters's dolls) Night Gallery, One step Beyond, Outer limits and there was a show when i was child with a little alien host named Febe?Also loved Night Stalker didn't Sixth Sense come off Night Gallery? Forever Knight was good
too but Buffy and angel i never really got into (sorry Midnite) believe Faith is from my home town

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2004, 07:58:49 PM »
Someone earlier asked whether shows like Quantam Leap fit into the category I was asking about. Yes, I would include some SciFi/Acion shows as well. I was polling the more outre shows rather than, say, "Scarecow and Mrs. King", which although being a great showcase for Kate Jackson, isn't supernatural.
    By the way, I was reviewing an episode list for "The Incredible Hulk" and although I remembered that Lara Parker had been in the pilot episode as the late wife of David Banner, I had forgotten KLS also did an episode. Anyone seen that one lately?
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2004, 08:27:06 PM »
Wasn't Grayson Hall on an episode of Night Gallery?  It was about three sisters living together and one of them died (Agnes Moorehead I think) but her shadow was still on the wall (?).  Somebody help me here>
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2004, 08:55:13 PM »
The Munsters and Superman (with Phyllis Coates as Lois Lane) are the only two supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy shows that to this day will stop me dead in my tracks while channel surfing.

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2004, 11:13:10 PM »
I always enjoyed Alfred Hitchcock presents, along with the previously mentioned classic series. I really enjoyed the local "monster movies" that usually ran on Saturdays, afternoon and evening..I am sure most cities had a host or a specific name...Having grown up in the Los Angeles area, Chiller was a big hit for me...usually a cheap B movie like "Attack of the 50 foot woman" or "The crawling eye" was on, but heck, as a pre teen, i was spellbound by them..Another one i can remember is a program called "shock theater" i think, so long ago, but thats where i was introduced to the Universal horror movies..
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

David

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2004, 12:17:20 AM »
Terry:
the Night Gallery episode with Grayson & Agnes Moorehead is called
"Certain Shadows on the Wall".
it's from 71 or 72 & is spooky as hell! Grayson looks like Carlotta from NODS in this.
You can get it on the Night Gallery Video Collection offered by Columbia House.

Dom: yes, must not forget The Munsters, and the early Superman episodes are probably the BEST of early TV Sci-Fi.

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2004, 01:55:45 PM »
Bewitched is my favorite show of all time! Just always loved it since I was a kid, and still watch it all the time. I'm a big fan of many of the others already listed: Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, Thriller, Quantum Leap, Twin Peaks, Buffy, Lost In Space. A few others I love that fit into the "outre" category would be Farscape and The Prisoner. I have to track down that Night Gallery episode! I knew Grayson was in an episode, but Grayson and Agnes Moorehead both in the same episode sounds incredible!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2004, 03:42:11 PM »
I somehow forgot about The Addams Family (the original mid Sixties series with Carolyn Jones and John Astin).  I loved this before DS came on the scene and still love it to this day. That's one series I really wish would come out on DVD.

"Certain Shadows on the Wall" originally aired in late December 1970.  The filming actually happened during the Summer, in August I think.  Grayson had to tape an episode of DS the day she flew back from "the Coast" on an early a.m. redeye flight.  I'm convinced the wig she wore as Carlotta in NoDS was the same one she was given for her role on Night Gallery--she was told it had belonged to Rita Hayworth.

Unforgiveably, Grayson and Agnes have NO SCENES AT ALL together in this episode.  I do think that when the casting had been completed, Serling could have given them even a short scene together. Grayson does have several scenes with Rachel Roberts, an actress who was married to Rex Harrison and had a superb role in Peter Weir's cult classic, Picnic at Hanging Rock.

I'm sure that's far more than you wanted to know about Grayson's appearance on Night Gallery...

a certified Halloholic,

Gothick

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2004, 03:53:57 AM »
Regarding "Forever Knight," I just wanted to mention that -- besides savoring this on its original late night run on CBS -- I discovered a couple of weeks ago that the first year has been released on DVD.  It's very pricey, but I shopped around and was able to buy it for $24.

Whether the second and third years are released on DVD depends on sales of the first set.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2004, 06:45:34 AM »
but I shopped around and was able to buy it for $24.

$24?!  How awesome!!  Congratulations!  Where did you find it for such a great price?  Are there any extras on it?  I haven't seen any listed on the outside of the package.

Mary

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2004, 04:18:29 PM »
I have actually seen "Strange Paradise," which I did enjoy, but wouldn't count as an all-time favorite show.

"Twin Peaks" was possibly some of the most TV I have ever seen--the first season anyhow--so I'll rank that as a favorite.

I'm a major Buffy fan from day one. Tried to get into "Angel," but after the first season, it became less than enthralling for me.

And although it's not really gothic or anything, in the fantasy realm, I'd have to say that I thought "The Prisoner" was amazing.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2004, 04:02:23 AM »
$24?!  How awesome!!  Congratulations!  Where did you find it for such a great price?  Are there any extras on it?  I haven't seen any listed on the outside of the package.

Mary, try putting Critics Choice Video into a google search.  I don't know if we're supposed to promote specific businesses here, but this price won't come up in a bizrate comparison.  I've had excellent service from this company for years.

No, there are no extras on the DVD.  It would have been nice to have had some cast interviews.

Do not go by amazon customer's reviews who say the picture and sound quality are terrible, especially on the first disk.

To the contrary, I found the picture quality excellent and the sound superior to most of my movie DVDs.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2004, 06:16:59 AM »
Critics Choice Video -- aha!  Thanks so much for your help and all the info, Vlad!  Yes, it would have been nice to have some cast interviews.  You'd think for as much as most stores are charging for it, they could have put something extra on it!  Glad to hear the picture and sound quality are so good, though!

Mary

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2004, 05:13:49 PM »
The all-time most intelligent and riveting show in this category is certainly the original Twilight Zone. The acting and scripts are top notch, and I agree that few shows today can even approach TZ in quality.  A few years ago I also discovered Outer Limits, which is also very good although perhaps less cerebral and philosophical than TZ.

Of more recent shows, I used to love the X Files until Duchovny left (that is probably true for many of us!) and even watched Buffy a few times although I never really became hooked.

There are a few shows that I've seen little of but enjoyed and that is Quantum Leap and Kolchak, which I hope will be out on DVD one day.  (Will have to check Netflix!)

On occasion I do get drawn in by the childlike charm of the Munsters, but often wonder if they'll ever air reruns of the Adams Family. It is a childhood favorite of mine. 
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher