Author Topic: OT - Other Favorite TV Shows  (Read 8222 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
OT - Other Favorite TV Shows
« on: March 29, 2004, 09:52:19 PM »
Okay DS fans, being Mr. Curious here. What's are some of your other favorite supernatural TV shows?
Are you a modern vampyre fan of Buffy or Angel? Do you still love the anthology shows like Thriller or Twilght Zone? Did you cruise the streets with Nick Nite or Mulder and Scully? Are you the ONLY person you know who's ever actually seen "Strange Paradise"? (I've net met anyone who's seen one) Or do you just surf to the Munster's themesong? What's your choice for the next TV box sets? Spill your spooky faves.

I'm going to start this off with 2 of my favorites...

1.) Smallville . I'm hooked. The first year had a lot of X Files overtones, but now the characters have kept me coiming back. Great cast, great scripts. Clark Kent is a man with a secret held by only a few. A great reinvention of the Superman saga without a cape in sight.

2.) Twin Peaks. It had a great group of oddball characters, but there was a nice thick underbelly of mystery and the supernatural that was fascinating if you stuck with it. Unfortunately, it will forever be a cliff hanger.

Your turn...MJ
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Other Favorite TV Shows
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 10:27:13 PM »
HBO's "Carnivale" is my newest favorite "supernatural" show......my Dad collected every word Ray Bradbury ever wrote, so I'm pre-disposed to be spooked by carnivals.  That and the Great Depression era settings call my name.

But in my opinion, the all-time, hands down, everybody-else-get-in-line best series in this genre is "Twilight Zone".  Scripts that literate and intelligent have all but disappeared from television and films today...and I hold out no hope of them every returning. 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 10:31:42 PM »
I used to like to watch "One Step Beyond".  It was an anthology series which dramatized supposedly true stories of the paranormal. It's an old show which I saw in reruns in syndication years ago. I think it predates "Twilight Zone".
MM

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 10:46:57 PM »
Well, I love Strange Paradise, and I've seen nearly every episode, and so has a friend of mine.  So--we're out here!

The only post Seventies supernatural series I have enjoyed was Poltergeist: the Legacy.  Helen Shaver played a very intense psychologist with a sense of style and elan that I found worthy of Grayson Hall.  Derek de Lint had a sense of presence and nonverbal intensity reminiscent of Jonathan Frid, and Martin Cummins was a brooding Briscoe-licious hunk.  Robbi Chong was in it as well and was excellent, and so was Patrick Fitzgerald as a troubled priest.  After the second season it really slithered downhill fast, but the actors kept it fun to watch.

I like Boris Karloff's Thriller but it hasn't surfaced in over a decade.  I also liked Rod Serling's Night Gallery.  Fascinating scripts and beautiful casting.  Another one that was uneven but sometimes really quite good was the Sixth Sense, starring Gary Collins as a parapsychologist.  Both the series and the star seem to have vanished into a black hole.  It aired in the late Sixties and early Seventies.

G.

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 10:51:26 PM »
Of what's already mentioned, I like "Twilight Zone", "X Files", "Twin Peaks", "One Step Beyond" and "The Munsters".

I liked the original "Outer Limits" series. Comedy wise, "Bewitched" was always a top favorite along with "The Addams Family".

Does "Xena: Warrior Princess" count in these categories?  How about "Lost In Space", "Land of the Giants", "Time Tunnel", "The Invaders", "Sliders" "Dark Skies" and "Roswell"- or too sci/fi to fit in?

I loved "Beauty and the Beast" and still watch  eps I taped back then. I wasn't fond of the 3rd season after Linda Hamilton left, so I don't often re-watch the show after season two.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 11:00:26 PM »
Oh yeah, I also love Forever Knight, especially the first two years--that one also went downhill drastically in year 3.

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 11:05:10 PM »
"Beauty and the Beast" was a true original, in my opinion.....the whole concept of the "other" world under the city fascinated me.  I think more than a few subsequent series can trace their conceptual roots back to that show.
I'm also old enough to remember "One Step Beyond".... mostly I remember being scared silly by more than one episode.....  :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 11:55:14 PM »
The Twilight Zone was my favorite show from the time I was a small child. I always anticipated Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July so that I could watch the annual marathons.  Other supernatural shows that I've enjoyed watching include:

The X-Files: Episodes could be dark or comedic, atmospheric or gross.  The neverending alien conspiracy became increasingly convoluted, but more often than not, I looked forward to each week's new episode.  However, I stopped watching after Duchovny left.

Unsolved Mysteries: I can remember lying awake at night after seeing the reportedly true stories of the unexplained on Unsolved Mysteries, worrying that I would be spontaneously combust or be abducted by aliens.

Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction:  The stories can be silly and stale at times, but it's still fun trying to identify which of the stories are true.

Quantum Leap:  This may technically fall into the realm of science fiction, but several episodes did deal directly with the supernatural--ghosts, vampires, living mummies, even a visit from the devil.

ProfStokes

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 12:30:15 AM »
......my Dad collected every word Ray Bradbury ever wrote, so I'm pre-disposed to be spooked by carnivals. 

Rainey....ME TOO!!!
But in my opinion, the all-time, hands down, everybody-else-get-in-line best series in this genre is "Twilight Zone".  Scripts that literate and intelligent have all but disappeared from television and films today...and I hold out no hope of them every returning.

Would I be too repetitive if I again said, ME TOO?? :-*

---------------------------------------------------------------

Alright....as long as this is here....I've had a question for a loooooong time.

When I was very little, I remember seeing what I believe to be an ongoing show; all I can remember, there was a girl and two boys, who...somehow?? got I believe time and or space 'pushed' to 'somewhere' else??

Anybody have a clue??

Thanks

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 01:01:27 AM »
Boris Karloff's Thriller.  It lasted, I believe, only one season and was one of the creepiest, most atmospheric anthologies ever aired.  It would alternate with one episode dealing with suspense, the other with the supernatural.  The Sci-Fi Channel use to broadcast the show (reruns, of course) but has not done so for years.

Gerard

David

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 01:13:22 AM »
I love obvious choices like Twilight Zone(my second fave show of all time after DS), Night Gallery,
Boris Karloff Presents Thriller, Bewitched. And I love Smallville!

I also love Passions & Port Charles.
Passions combines DS & Bewitched and is zany fun!
Port Charles, now on Soapnet in reruns, put DS styled stories in the
"real world" and had wonderful moments!

ATTN: Thriller fans:
Something Weird Video is now offering on VHS & DVD, the complete short run series The Veil. Only ten episodes were produced in the late 1950s. Almost identical to Thriller, including host Karloff!

Gothick: I have the first 25 eps of Strange Paradise. Possible to get more  from you?

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Other Favorite TV Shows
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 08:16:00 AM »
In order (I think!) starting with most favorite:  X Files, Kolchak:The Night Stalker, Forever Knight, Port Charles, Ghost Story/Circle of Fear (remember the one about the family who moved into the apartment and there was a man upstairs who was really a ghost and had murdered his wife and wanted to do the same thing to Susan Dey?  Or the one where Jodie Foster communicated telepathically with her grandfather who made her set her house on fire by getting her to start a fire in her identical doll house?  Very creepy and cool!), Werewolf (does anybody else remember that show on FOX?), and Twilight Zone.  Hope I'm not forgetting any!

Great topic!

Mary

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 09:30:12 AM »
Another one that was uneven but sometimes really quite good was the Sixth Sense, starring Gary Collins as a parapsychologist.  Both the series and the star seem to have vanished into a black hole.  It aired in the late Sixties and early Seventies.

I liked this one too Gothick!  I use to watch it all the time and then it suddenly just disappeared like you said.

Another favorite of mine is the Twilght Zone.  I use to think that I saw every single one of them but then all of a sudden one will come along that I haven't  seen, which makes it even better!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 09:40:57 AM »
Boris Karloff's Thriller.  It lasted, I believe, only one season and was one of the creepiest, most atmospheric anthologies ever aired.  It would alternate with one episode dealing with suspense, the other with the supernatural.  The Sci-Fi Channel use to broadcast the show (reruns, of course) but has not done so for years.

Yes! Thriller! That show aired in reruns here on a little independent station many moons ago. Many, many, many moons ago. A few years back Universal was charitable enough to release a few episodes which I had the brains to scoop up at the time. My favorite Thriller epoisode is "The Premature Burial". Very spooky. Seems to me Dan Curtis must have seen this very episode as Liz turns out to have a tomb constructed with a bell and a buzzer, believing that she would be burried alive. Hmmm...
Alfred Hitchcocl Presents is another favorite of mine that turns up from time to time on TVLand or the Hallmark Channel.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Other Favorite TV Shows
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 02:29:08 PM »
Mine?  Has to be Night Gallery, Kolchak:The Night Stalker, Twin Peaks, One Step Beyond, and Boris Karloff Thriller.
I remember watching these with my mother.  She did and still does loves these supernatural shows.  I guess I got it from her. >:D
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.