Author Topic: Lock/Unlock  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Lock/Unlock
« on: March 29, 2004, 07:44:12 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I just
noticed something.  At the bottom of some pages there's a "lock - unlock" feature.  So far as I've checked, it only shows up on a topic page that I started.  Does that mean someone can lock their own topic, or is it for something else?  (Was afraid to click it and see what happens just in case it's a glitch in the board that shouldn't be there)  (Then I'd REALLY be in jail and I already used my "get out of jail free" card).  [lghy]

:o
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Lock/Unlock
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 02:51:01 AM »
I had noticed this about 2ish?? months ago, after our dear Mysterious Benefactor had installed the latest/greatest update. (At least I think I did....oyevah, what a Monday!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 03:42:10 AM »
Does that mean someone can lock their own topic, or is it for something else?  (Was afraid to click it and see what happens just in case it's a glitch in the board that shouldn't be there)

As Patti said, it showed up in the last upgrade.  But it's not a useful member feature because all it will do is prevent other members from responding within the topic and I can't imagine that anyone would want that, and keeping a topic locked is a decision that the forum moderators prefer to make.  If a topic starter were to accidentally click it, that same poster would only have to click it again to unlock it, or else an admin or mod would have to unlock it for him/her.  But if we lock a topic ourselves, the topic starter can't undo it.

Was that clear as mud?  :P

(Then I'd REALLY be in jail and I already used my "get out of jail free" card).  [lghy]

That's between you and dom, heh.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 01:23:02 PM »
Was that clear as mud?  :P

Definitely!  [gring]

I now pronounce this important topic officially LOCKED.  (Ah...the power...)  If anyone has anything urgent to add, then you'll just have to IM me, seein' as this thread is LOCKED!!!  (And you should IM me 'cause I'm lonely)

(Then I'd REALLY be in jail and I already used my "get out of jail free" card).  [lghy]

That's between you and dom, heh.

And that's as is should be since we're engaged and all.  (I think.  Maybe he's gotten cold feet and I'm the last to know.)

-CLC
Creator of the new hit series, All My Quentins - An Expose

[silly]

See what happens when I'm home with a sore throat and can't sleep??

[nut]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 04:50:04 PM »
I now pronounce this important topic officially LOCKED.  (Ah...the power...)  If anyone has anything urgent to add, then you'll just have to IM me, seein' as this thread is LOCKED!!!  (And you should IM me 'cause I'm lonely)

Silly me for saying:
all it will do is prevent other members from responding within the topic and I can't imagine that anyone would want that,
because another member may want to ask a question about the feature, but the topic is now unlocked anyway because the next thing I said was:
and keeping a topic locked is a decision that the forum moderators prefer to make.

Connie wrote:
[silly]

See what happens when I'm home with a sore throat and can't sleep??

[nut]

This is why God made Tylenol PM and Nyquil.  [b003]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 08:00:18 PM »
(And you should IM me 'cause I'm lonely)
HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR EMAIL LATELY DEAR????

(aka...I IMed you two days ago!!!)

Patti

What a Woman!

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 10:10:31 PM »
.....but the topic is now unlocked anyway because the next thing I said was:and keeping a topic locked is a decision that the forum moderators prefer to make.

Gee.....great feature when you can't even lock your own topic 'cause some moderator (who shall remain nameless) will just unlock it.  How can anyone be expected to mature and make
their own decisions when a moderator makes the decisions for you?

This is why God made Tylenol PM and Nyquil.  [b003]

Should I take them both at the same time? [nut]

HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR EMAIL LATELY DEAR????

(aka...I IMed you two days ago!!!)

That's right!  You did!  I KNEW I was forgetting something.  Ya know, I can't be on here more than a couple of minutes and I'm always getting interrupted with something.....then I come back and forget what I was reading.  What good is having Ginko Biloba in the house when you can't remember to take it??????
[idontknow]

-CLC
Author of the best-selling book, Zen and the Art of Locked Topics

(I WOULD lock this again, but Midnite will probably just go and unlock it)
I'm dead in the water here.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2004, 12:32:09 AM »
(I WOULD lock this again, but Midnite will probably just go and unlock it)

Since you brought it up, I would more likely take the only step available to me that would prevent you from continuing to play with the feature for your own amusement, but I can guarantee that you wouldn't like it.

Get well soon.

M.