Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #338 - MWallace in Heir Apparent; JBennett rare films at MOMA  (Read 589 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
SHADOWGRAM NEWS UPDATE   # 338

December 2, 2014

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following key breaking news in this Official DS News Online Update "bulletin."

**** MARIE WALLACE IN STAGED READING IN NYC
**** NYC FILM EXHIBITION FEATURES JOAN BENNETT’S EARLY MOVIES

*** MARIE WALLACE IN STAGED READING OF NEW PLAY – NYC – DEC. 8

Marie (Eve, Mad Jenny, Megan Todd) tells SG: “I'm involved with a new play titled THE HEIR APPARENT and will be doing a staged reading of it 12-8 at the New Dramatists Theatre in NYC.” Admission is free but reservations are required (see below). Marie invites area fans to come and enjoy the presentation

Publicity: “The founders of a prestigious Manhattan art gallery gather on the release from prison of their son, sentenced to an eight-year prison term for military treason. Driven by ambition, resentment, and ambiguous desires, each struggles with conflicting loyalties, deep-rooted guilt, disapproval and suppressed affection to achieve a measure of self-recognition, acceptance and resolution. A drama of identity and the divided self.”

THE HEIR APPARENT will be presented at New Dramatists, 424 W, 44th St., NYC. Mon., Dec. 8 at “7:00 pm Sharp!
Admission is Free.
Reservations Absolutely Required.  Reservations: 212-757-6960.
For additional information: 212-354-7565.

*** JOAN BENNETT: RARE EARLY FILMS FEATURED IN NYC SALUTE

The prestigious NYC Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) will screen 4 of her rare, earliest movies in an “Acteurism: Joan Bennett” Film Exhibition 12-3 to 1-30.

NY Museum of Modern Art,  11 W. 53 ST., NEW YORK, NY 10019.|(212) 708-9400. http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/1535

Publicity: In a career spanning “her first talking (film) appearance” in 1929 “into the age of television – she starred in…the gothic soap opera DS and beyond….  Joan Bennett was unquestionably one of the most enduring stars in American film. Yet much of Bennett's longevity can be attributed to her willingness to change with the times and invent herself anew for succeeding generations of filmgoers…. This introductory program focuses on Bennett's formative ingénue period at Fox in the early 1930s, and includes 4 rare features never available on television or home video.” The 4 films are:

---Wild Girl - 1932. She’s a “frontier tomboy awakening to her sexuality” in a “zesty tongue-in-cheek adaptation of a popular 19th century stage melodrama.”

--- The Trial of Vivienne Ware – 1932. Production methods are considered “highly experimental” as Joan stars in an adaptation of “a popular radio play about a socialite on trial for the murder of her faithless fiancé.”

--- Doctors’ Wives – 1931. Joan is a “lonely, useless, and jealous… neglected” doctor’s wife encountering “a glamorous cancer researcher who promises to bring passion and meaning back into her life.”

--- Careless Lady - 1932. A “boisterous pre-(movie standards) code sex comedy,” Joan is an “innocent” who decides to pose as the (“experienced”) wife of an unmarried businessman for a trip to Paris” – and then the man himself shows up.

Marcy Robin

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I caught Joan in 1930's Eleven Men and a Girl recently. Awful movie (IMO) but a young Joan is always a fascinating watch, if you're a fan.
I thought she was wonderful to watch in 1930's Moby Dick with John Barrymore. It was the first time I'd seen Joan as a blond, which I never knew, and the first time I'd seen her as anything other than Liz. It was shocking (she was 19) and mesmerizing!