Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0846  (Read 1375 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0846
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:42:08 PM »
Robservations #846

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0846

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 04:55:09 AM »
Hmmm.  Paste function not working.  Will try later.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »
Pansy and Tim at the Blue Whale, showing no sign of Tim and Charity's former relationship.  She's just Pansy to everyone, now.  Charpanitysy has just staked our antihero, and rambles drunkenly, upset about it, but it's not clear if it's out of guilt or not.  It opens after the theme with a nice cough from Nancy B, as she tries to drink something.  Those little touches of spontaneiety really help with suspending one's disbelief. 

Tim, it turns out, knows about the vampire.  Apparently everyone knows, and believes it.  That should make its way to the world of 1969 when they get back.  There should be a legend or scandal about that 1897 vampire Barnabas Collins.  In the altered timeline, Barnabas should have had to explain his way out of being ID'd as the famous vampire of the turn of the century, when he introduced himself at Collinwood in 1967.  Wait, no, he never got back into the coffin, so he never got to 1967 for Willie to unchain.  Now I'm giddy and need to sit down.  Oh, I'm already sitting. 

Tim has only one suit.  He really wants to be a show biz agent, but he's chosen the wrong town to get a start in.  He wants to represent anyone with a strange secret.  (Imagine if this caught on, everyone with a secret in Collinsport getting an agent...)  Edward and Kitty reunite.  Ed's not at all concerned for Kitty's safety when he invites her to live at Collinwood, nexus of vampire and werewolf activity for the area. 

Pansy predicts that the dreaded Music Box will cause Kitty's death.  During Ed and Pansity's conversation, he says they'll get her proper treatment (psychiatry is full of abuses at the best of times, but in 1897 I wouldn't send my worst enemy into its clutches...), and she gets off a good line: "Who gets proper treatment in this house?!"

What's Tim trying to blackmail Edward with, exactly?  There's no new bad news to offer to help conceal.  I guess he wants his ten percent agent's fee for getting Charipansy to the big house for her cash reward for staking the vampire.  Only she refuses any reward.  Tim maintains his smug demeanor as he leaves, anyway.  He's really dumb, or is just covering his failure.

The music box in Kitty's room is presented as a great danger, despite our sympathies supposedly being with Barnabas, now.  I guess we need to see Barnabas as someone who can't help bringing devastation upon his loved ones because of what he is, and how his cursed nature distorts him as a person, no matter how he tries to go against it.  It's a pretty sophisticated point of view of a character, and many shows try and fail to portray protagonists in this way now.  One is the revived version of Doctor Who, but they just don't get away with it.  The Doctor is just not a dark, conflicted character.  These days it's considered cool to make your hero a sort of anti-hero, though, so they try.  With Barnabas, it's totally appropriate and works, if you see that's what they're doing.   And they did it before it was "cool", therefore it actually was cool.... however, now that I see this, I just can't believe in and root for Barnabas, as I did as a child.  I've lost that, and I hate that I've lost it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:19:44 PM »
As always, MT, your observations and insights are absolutely on target--especially about the problems with time travel and changing story lines. Thanks!

Poor Barnabas. Imagine what it would be like to know that everyone you care for will be destroyed, and the more you try to protect them, the worse it gets. No TV show, book, movie, etc. has ever achieved the standard set by DS. I do still like Barnabas but the writers are making it very hard with this story line.

If Tim didn't know about the vampire before Pansity blurts out what she's done for her Carl, he certainly does now. He quickly appoints himself her handler and tells her that Edward will be very grateful--and no doubt Tim expects to get a cut of Edward's gratitude.

KLS (STILL billed as Kathryn LEE Scott) looks absolutely gorgeous as the pearl-bedecked Kitty, even prettier than when she was Josette, because now we can see the scheming intelligence behind those big brown eyes. (Sorry, but Josette really was a bit dim.) So why does Edward invite Kitty to live at Collinwood, despite the various supernatural dangers? My guesses: (1) He probably thinks she is now an extremely wealthy widow; and (2) he probably thinks he will get extra manliness points with her for protecting her from said supernatural dangers.

Pansity is quite properly affronted--as who would not be?--when Edward doesn't believe that she staked the vampire. Go see for yourself, she dares him. Edward wants to go alone, but Tim invites himself along.

Although Kitty treats Pansity with haughty condescension, Pansity does her mentalist act. Lo and behold, no sooner does her second sight kick in than she hears--surprise!--the music box theme (and so do we)! Pansity warns the irritated Kitty that the music box will cause her death.

Meanwhile, Edward and Tim are in the cave with Barnabas’s coffin. To think that his life would end here, in a dismal cave, Edward murmurs. Although he regarded Barnabas as a monster, to Edward he was a Collins nonetheless. Edward opens the coffin, grimaces at what he sees (which remains hidden from us), and closes the lid. Barnabas Collins is dead, he says. May he rest in peace. The coffin must be chained. The cave must be sealed. He must remain here forever. And with this, he and Tim depart.

Edward returns, relieved that Barnabas has been disposed of. In fact, he's so relieved that he invites Kitty to a special dinner, just for the two of them. Kitty smiles to herself at how well her plans are going.

Pansity gloats to Edward that he won't be calling her a liar anytime soon. Edward assumes she wants a reward. Sure, she does, Tim interjects, but Pansity tells him to keep out of it. I’d like you to answer one or two questions that might seem strange, Edward says. About Quentin--you followed him to the cave? He knew where the vampire was, C/P replies to Edward’s astonishment. I got that feeling, talking to him--that’s why I followed him. Edward wonders, If he knew, why didn’t he come to me instead of telling you just enough to make you follow him? He could have kept it in the family. in the family, Edward says--his real point. You can count on _us_ to keep it very quiet, Tim promises. Can I indeed? Edward asks. She’ll keep it quiet, Tim says as if C/P is his property or his underling. I’ll see to that. Edward asks, You will, will you? I’m sure of it, he adds resignedly, and no doubt at a price. What _is_ your price? Tim says, Someday, I might want a little favor. I’m prepared to do you a favor right now, Edward replies, by taking Miss Trask off your hands. You may deny being Charity Trask, he tells C/P, but I remember the day you came to Collinwood with your father. Perhaps it is fortunate that he is visiting Judith, because he might not like my suggestion. Stay here with us, he tells C/P--we can get proper treatment for you. Proper treatment? repeats C/P, insulted. Who’ll get proper treatment in this house? There are doctors, Edward replies. I ain’t sick, guv, C/P insists. Do you remember the girl you were when you first came here? Edward asks. I remember coming here with my Carl, she replies. This house holds no happiness in it, for no one! We will change all that, Edward promises. It will never happen, she insists. I love my life, singing at the Blue Whale. I ain’t about to start sitting around at my age! If my Carl was still alive, she adds sadly, it might be different. Edward starts, Miss Trask-- She explodes with fury: You are _not_ to call me by that name! You should call a lady what _she_ chooses, and I choose to be called Pansy Faye! You got that? Take me back where we belong, she tells Tim. She will be all right, Tim assures Edward. Why don’t you come to see us at the Blue Whale sometime. I doubt if I will find the time, Edward replies stiffly, then adds sourly, But I am quite sure that you will find an opportunity to _drop in_ and see me--when you want something. Tim smiles faintly and leaves with C/P.

Who knew Kitty has a mother. Evidently she does. Kitty is up in her room, smiling as she writes a letter, which she helpfully reads aloud for us: Mama, Edward has been exactly as I expected: hospitable, understanding, and very dear. The house is nearly as grand as Hampshire House. He has invited me to stay as long as I wish. Thank goodness, because I would barely have the money to come to you in Pennsylvania. But things are looking up now! She folds the letter and puts it in an envelope, then gets up to get a stamp for it. When she turns back, she is shocked to see a music box--we know it’s Josette’s--atop a couple of books on the table. She recalls C/P’s words: It's a music box. An old, old music box. You must destroy it. It will cause your death. Kitty opens the music box, and Josette’s theme starts up. She recognizes it as the song C/P sang for her....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:44:51 PM »
however, now that I see this, I just can't believe in and root for Barnabas, as I did as a child.  I've lost that, and I hate that I've lost it.

I went through this and it was like losing a best friend to sudden death. For me it was seeing the complete series. Starting during the Petofi phase it was easy to think of Barn as a hero (along with being a clueless kid). When I saw the series from beginning to end as an adult, everything reversed itself. I was no longer enamored of the Barn & Jules dynamic duo thang. And the characters I really didn't care much for became my new faves (Liz & Roger). As an adult I've come to learn almost everything you learn or experience as a kid is a lie to a degree or sometimes, flat out.

But I'm not bitter. [heh]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »
I appreciate some good, honest cynicism, dom.  To be a real cynic, you have to have cared about the things you're cynical about very deeply at some point, perhaps too much for comfort. 

His killing Carl started to undo it all, for me.  Right now I'm having the viewing which is getting through that he's never going to get around to becoming that hero.  Thanks for that post.

Thanks, DL!  I don't take yopur posts for granted, but they're all good, so I get out of the habit of appreciating them in my posts.  Just want you to know.  I'll say more.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »
Wow, you guys, I feel so bad for you! I won't try to talk you out of your opinions but will just say that the very thing I like most about Barnabas is that sometimes he makes big mistakes and sometimes does terrible things. I know I've done both (though nowhere near Barn's extent) and regret it deeply. I don't know, maybe I feel differently because I didn't see the series until I was long past childhood and adolescence.

I do love bouncing ideas off both of you and hope this doesn't mean that you are so disillusioned that you'll stop altogether.

All best,
DL

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 09:49:26 PM »
Wow, you guys, I feel so bad for you! I won't try to talk you out of your opinions...

PLEASE do.  I want to be talked out of this one.  You made a good start... thanks for the personal perspective.  And sorry for making my Barnabas disaffection sound like the end of the world...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »
Well, okay, then! Another pro-Barn point is that he never, ever stops trying. He really has come to love his crazy "cousins" and will do anything in his power to help them.

And sometimes, just like the rest of us, he actually does wonderful things, like when he lets Vicki walk out of his life with (urgh) Peter Bradford. At that point--as you yourself said, MT--Barn's reformation was complete, something that I had never realized. But it's true.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »
Thanks DL.  I've had several moments where I thought it was complete, and they blur together for me now.  It doesn't help that 18897 unreformed him a bit against his will.  That's the thing to keep in mind I guess, he's fighting his vampire nature.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »
True enough, MT. Barn is never at his best when he's thinking with his, um, fangs. And strangely enough, I think (although I'm not 100% sure) that he gets obsessed with Josette only when he's in his vampire state.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »
I never thought of that, DL.  I'll have to remember that about Barn/Josette.

I decided at some point that one fascinating, great thing about 1897 was how now-decent Barnabas leaps into vampire Barnabas, and while the former thinks he's in control, to a large extent he's not.  He never catches on, either.  That's how disorienting the vampire influence is.  He can be pursuing the saving of lives, then kill a cousin, and seemingly not notice the contradiction.  Or maybe he does, and he says nothing.  Either way, the "hero" has to deal with an effect he can't control eating away at his basic decency.

All that means we should be backing up Barnabas.  It used to mean that to me.  I need to get that back.