Author Topic: Waking up in the 21st Century......  (Read 2825 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Re:Waking up in the 21st Century......
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 08:46:17 PM »
I'm curious to know how the many changes in medical and criminal justice technology might affect the story. Think about how much more difficult it will be to pull off "the cousin from England" bit now, in the age when we have, say, Victor Hugo's will on the internet. How will aid affect the show? Will Julia give Barnabas a cathscan? (Did I spell that right?) I have often thought that many of the classic '60 shows like "Then Came Bronson" or "The Fugitive" would be difficult to pull off now, as despite the bugaboo of identity theft, most identity theft is relatively short term. Willie will now have to be a genius hacker to create an artificial background for Barnabas.
 Any thoughts? :-
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 08:59:01 PM »
Thank you for bringing this up, CyrusL!!  I didn't think of it before, but you're absolutely right!  And guess which character came first to mind?

Dr. Julia.

How on earth is she going to get away with pronouncing people dead after a cursory search for a pulse, in an age of high-tech equiptment and medical malpractice?

How is she going to hand out sedatives like Halloween candy with no prescriptions?

And best of all....how is she going to send Willie (and everyone else!  ::) ) to Windcliffe on her own, without the permission of 13 different lackies at some HMO AND a court order?

Talk about dramatic tension!!  [lghy]

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2004, 09:08:43 PM »
Good question.

I don't think the medical aspect would present any problems with your then vs now scenario (not that you were suggesting it would be a problem), and I think the fact that Barn will be identical to his "ancestor's" portrait can pretty much cover anyone's suspicions. I mean, not everyone's life is on display on the web. And Barn has always been clever with the explanations. If Willie's not a moron, he should be able to provide Barn with cover as well. At least with a good script, lol. But it will be very interesting to see how they will use today's technology in the script, either as an advantage or disadvantage to Barnabas.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2004, 09:20:20 PM »
How on earth is she going to get away with pronouncing people dead after a cursory search for a pulse, in an age of high-tech equiptment and medical malpractice?

How is she going to hand out sedatives like Halloween candy with no prescriptions?

And best of all....how is she going to send Willie (and everyone else!  ::) ) to Windcliffe on her own, without the permission of 13 different lackies at some HMO AND a court order?

Believe it or not, the '91 series Julia didn't do any of that. In fact, she wasn't even affiliated with any sort of instituition (no pun intended  ;)) like Wyndcliff - she actually came to Collinsport from New York University.

Shocking, huh?  :D

Talk about thinking outside the box.

Hmmm... You know what this means, don't you?

Thinking outside the box: 1

Raineypark: 0

[b003]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2004, 09:54:32 PM »
Hmmm... You know what this means, don't you?
Thinking outside the box: 1
Raineypark: 0
[b003]

Goddess you're insufferable when you think you're being "scathingly brilliant"....aren't you?  [noseinair]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2004, 10:24:24 PM »
[lghy]        [lol2]        [lghy]        [lol2]        [lghy]

[wink2]

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2004, 07:01:21 PM »
I don't think the medical aspect would present any problems with your then vs now scenario (not that you were suggesting it would be a problem), and I think the fact that Barn will be identical to his "ancestor's" portrait can pretty much cover anyone's suspicions. I mean, not everyone's life is on display on the web. And Barn has always been clever with the explanations. If Willie's not a moron, he should be able to provide Barn with cover as well. At least with a good script, lol. But it will be very interesting to see how they will use today's technology in the script, either as an advantage or disadvantage to Barnabas.

Googling Barnabas! I love it. Seriously though, these days it's becoming more and more of a norm to see people's whole lives spread out for anyone with a little know-how and a ISP connection to see.

On the other hand, judging from the plethora of non-traditional learners I get at the desk, it's by no means uncommon to have no computer knowledge at all.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2004, 12:32:45 PM »
Well...duh...DAVID's going to teach him.

Being a 10-12 year old, he'll of course be fixing/teaching all the Collins!!

Also, instead of an MD/shrink, I think Julia should be R&D for chromosomes; human genome all that stuff.

What will be cool too is Willie can text message Barn if someone is on the way to the Old House.

Patti
What a Woman!