Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0834  (Read 645 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0834
« on: November 14, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »
Robservations #834

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0834

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 05:38:00 AM »
Petofi sees Ed at Tate's studio to turn the blame from Petofi to Barnabas.  Next note I made: Barnabas fiddles with onyx ring and almost takes it off in his fidgetiness.  He decides to go to 1969 for information, throws the ol' 49th again.  One thing I do remember from kidhood is how the 49th hexagram kept conveniently appearing.  Ed seems to have prepared for shooting Barnabas even before coming to Tate's place, by wearing two coats.  That doesn't help anyone to shoot people better, but it seems to be what Edward does.  Petofi gives him the silver bullets.  "What's in this for Petofi" never crosses Ed's mind.  Edward thinks he's a skeptic, but will fall for anything.

Barnabas I Chings... end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:20:37 PM »
Magda and Barnabas have a big discussion in Quentin's room about Pansity's prophecy of when and where Quentin will die. Magda tells him, It’s true that Pansy has possessed Charity, and you have six more days to do something. How does Quentin die? Barnabas asks. Magda says, Pansy saw that Quentin will be shot. Who did it? Barnabas asks. Does Charity know? No, Magda replies--in her vision, he was dead in the Tower Room. This is a big surprise for Barnabas. He explains, In the present (i.e., 1969), Quentin’s rooms were sealed off. But why was this room sealed if he died in the Tower? I don’t know about this, Magda says, but Charity did say the Tower. You got to get Quentin away! Death runs faster than any man, Barnabas answers gravely. He reiterates the three preconditions for Quentin's death and reminds Magda that the third one hasn't happened yet: That Quentin will be rejected by the one person he truly loves, Jamison. Barnabas decides to go back to 1969 via the I Ching and question Quentin's ghost.

Before his guest arrives at the cottage, Petofi emulates his hero, Lord Kitchener, by retiring to rest. He goes to what will be Maggie's room a long time from now. Edward arrives, and Petofi tells Charles to get out. Charles obeys, knowing what's good for him. Well, Edward comments, I never expected to be in an artist's studio tonight. The bohemian life, he muses. It has tempted several members of my family--though never me, of course, he adds quickly. Petofi begins the not very hard work of winning the highly skeptical Edward over to his side.

Note to MT: Edward wears two coats throughout this episode, his suit jacket and an overcoat. Poor LE must have been sweltering! But I supposed that was what the well-dressed gentleman wore when preparing to shoot a relative, even a distant one. Maybe his alter ego, Edward the gentleman's gentleman, sent him a final telepathic suggestion.

Meanwhile, Barn and Magda discover the portrait of the werewolf. With the help of the convenient label on the painting, Barnabas brilliantly deduces that Quentin didn't transform tonight. In the basement of the Old House, the chair and table are arranged as they were/will be in 1969. Nobody in the Collins universe ever throws anything but the 49th hexagram! Barn gives Magda his final instructions, and she actually looks quite upset at the possibility that anything might go wrong. Now I must start, Barnabas says. Go to Petofi. Watch him carefully, and stop him if he attempts to come here while I am in the trance. Now I must begin. In an hour or two, come back. Barnabas! she appeals one last time, touching him lightly on the back, very much as Julia might. Go, he tells her. She slowly walks up the stairs, keeping her eyes on him all the while, also just as Julia might.

At Charles’s studio, Edward and Petofi are still talking. I don’t know what you mean, Edward huffs, desperate to keep his knowledge private. Yes, you do, Petofi insists. What do you know about Barnabas? Edward asks worriedly. As much as I need to, Petofi replies--that he is a vampire. I know you wish to keep it secret, so I came to you instead of going to the police as a sign of respect for that wish. (Meanwhile, Charles is listening intently from behind the partly open door.) How did you find out? Edward asks. That isn’t important now, Petofi replies. No, Edward agrees, adding, You could have gone to the police. I’ve been wrong about you, I think. [WTF? Even though Petofi cursed both him and Jamison??] To find out where Barnabas is hiding, the count suggests, we should follow Magda Rakosi. She knows? Edward asks in amazement. I know how to deal with her! Petofi insists, We can use her to lead us to Barnabas. No, Edward insists, it is my duty alone. It is my responsibility, difficult as it may be. There has always been one person in our family who has known of his existence, one person whose duty it has been to keep him chained in his coffin. Had my grandmother lived, I would have been the one that she told. [Actually he has no basis whatever for believing that Edith would have told him. Since Edith ordained that Judith would succeed her as the Mistress of Collinwood, she probably would have told Judith.] Now I must go to the Old House. Not at night, not unarmed, Petofi protests. At least take this in case you meet him before dawn comes. He presses a pearl-handled revolver and six silver bullets into Edward’s hands. If you find yourself unable to shoot, the count advises, you should remember that the dawn will do your work for you: Without his coffin to protect him, Barnabas cannot live. You will report back to me, won’t you? I’ll be waiting for you. Edward agrees and leaves the studio, taking the gun with him. Petofi smiles with anticipation.

In the basement of the Old House, Barnabas sits at the table in deep concentration. In his mind’s eye, he sees a door with the 49th hexagram on it....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 07:37:50 PM »
Petofi is implying that Barnabas is to blame for all suspicious supernatural things going on, including his and Jamison's curses, so that would be why Edward lets Petofi off the hook, DL...   There's really no reason for Edward to believe Petofi, but Petofi happens to be the person Edward is listening to at the time, so he believes Petofi...  Edward really seems that easy to fool.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 08:17:50 PM »
Yes, indeed, MT. Edward doesn't even turn a hair when Petofi orders him to report back to him.