Author Topic: location location location  (Read 2332 times)

Offline denise

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
location location location
« on: March 09, 2004, 04:44:13 AM »
If DS was not  located in Maine where would you think the next best location would have been? I myself would have liked New Orleans with its location near  Martinique, voodoo, the more likely destination of Andre DuPres business ventures. and its otherwise otherworldly atmosphere. We also could have introduced African American actors in the mix.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:location location location
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 02:42:59 PM »
I think the upper peninsula of Michigan, along the coast of Lake Michigan, would've also been a good location.  Sections look very similar to the coastline of Maine, with big cliffs and all that.  It can be very isolated, and the Collins family could've made their wealth through lumber.  There is a strong historical French connection in that region (earliest explorers were French and had established settlements) so I could see the DuPres family arriving from Martinique via Canada.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 04:17:16 PM »
I always thought an Island would have been the perfect location for DS......there's nothing more isolating than being surrounded by miles of water.  And the locals all being VERY intimate with one anothers lives would increase the threat of discovery and danger at every turn.

Somewhere up in the Canadian Maritimes......I don't think it gets much more isolated than that...[lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 05:24:42 PM »
Nutley, NJ
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 07:36:27 PM »
How appropriate, Connie, lol. Any town with "nut" in it would be apropriate for the Collins clan. :)

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 09:32:23 PM »
I can imagine a Southern Dark Shadows with stories involving eccentric relatives (which they already have).  Maybe on St. Simon's Island or Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia. 8)
MM

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 07:49:40 AM »
How appropriate, Connie, lol. Any town with "nut" in it would be apropriate for the Collins clan. :)

OMG!  I never thought of that!  It was just the first absurd town that popped into my head.  (For no apparent reason)  LOL

:-*
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 04:55:52 PM »
If DS was not  located in Maine where would you think the next best location would have been? I myself would have liked New Orleans with its location near  Martinique, voodoo, the more likely destination of Andre DuPres business ventures. and its otherwise otherworldly atmosphere. We also could have introduced African American actors in the mix.

New Orleans sounds so perfect.  Hot, steamy, sultry.  I can just picture a beautiful old mansion with moss hanging from the trees.  What a great idea, Denise.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 05:04:24 PM »
I second that emotion.  New Orleans would be a wonderful place to.....well...whatever.  Bayous, 'gators, Cajuns, lots of voodoo.  Yeah, New Orleans is the place.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 05:09:02 PM »
New Orleans IS the perfect place.

Unfortunately, thanks to Ms. Rice, Vampires in New Orleans are as ubiquitous as fleas on dogs.

Perhaps somewhere above the Arctic Circle.....it's dark 6 months out of the year up there!  Think how much faster the story would move without Barnabas having to run on home to his casket just as things were getting interesting? [smrtasb]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 05:18:44 PM »
Perhaps somewhere above the Arctic Circle.....it's dark 6 months out of the year up there!  Think how much faster the story would move without Barnabas having to run on home to his casket just as things were getting interesting? [smrtasb]

Yes, but it would take Barney so long to unwrap those bundled up babes that he would be caught before he could get a quick snack.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 07:49:05 PM »
The deep south, somewhere on the east coast like Charleston or Savannah - though I do like the New Orleans idea too. I also think it would have been good set just about anywhere in the UK or Ireland.  Then they could have cousins from America.  ;D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 08:16:17 PM »
Just wondering- For those of us who like the idea of a new location being located in the south, how would you feel about the Collins family members speaking with southern accents? Enhancing, interesting, distracting?

Could be fun to have Barnabas be released in Collinsport Maine, only to find that the family has moved lock, stock, and barrell to (where ever in) the south.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 08:35:54 PM »
Okay with me.....but Willie Loomis was supposed to be from down-south somewhere, in the original.....so I guess that would mean, if we relocated to the South,  he'd have to be from Brooklyn and have  that famous accent  ;D

(Actually....how many of the characters on DS ever had the right Maine accent  ???  )
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 10:29:37 PM »
A southern location would be interesting.  I'm picturing the women of Collinwood running around in their slips, holding glasses of iced gin-and-tonic (and one of the them has to be named Charlotte), calling the men folk "Big Daddy".

Gerard