Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0819  (Read 853 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0819
« on: October 25, 2014, 04:44:48 PM »
Robservations #819

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0819

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:43:11 PM »
The count orders Quentin out and apparently uses Charity to show himself--not her--a vision of the future in which Aristede is killed. Charity tells the count that an unknown person--she could see only a shadow--had a scimitar, which he set down to strangle Aristede, then picked it up again and left. The writers don’t explain how a sheltered young lady knows what a scimitar is--maybe she’s read more than her Bible after all.

Things don't get any better for the count when Charity sees him about to lose his hand to the scimitar of the same stranger. But Petofi apparently found this knowledge useful and decides to kill two birds with one stone, both silencing Charity and showing her perhaps her true self. Badly shaken, he passes his hand before Charity’s face and tells her, Thank you, my dear. Now you will begin a new life--one that many people will not understand [and we hear Pansy Faye’s song played softly on a violin] but will be unable to do anything about. Enjoy it, my dear, enjoy it while it lasts. Pansy Faye’s song fills the whole room.

Outside, Quentin demands to know what the count did to Charity. But the count practically runs out the door. In the drawing room, Charity is nowhere to be seen--until in full Pansy Faye mode forever, she bursts out from behind the drapes, grabs a hideous orange shawl that just happens to be in the room, and offers to entertain Quentin with her unique talents--that is, in singing and/or dancing. Quentin is completely taken aback. He put it right out of your head, Quentin murmurs with unwilling admiration. Shortly after, he hurries out. Not the least bit bothered, Pansy/Charity goes into her song and dance without an audience.

Petofi is alarmed enough to make Aristede leave Barnabas unguarded while they go to the cemetery. Finding Abraham Howell a suitably strong name, Petofi orders Aristede to start digging up his grave.

Quentin comes back downstairs--what was he doing upstairs anyhow?--and finds P/F again. She tries to make him stay with her until he says he's going to see a woman. Teasing him about his supposed amorous rendezvous, she assures him that he'll come back to her. (NB's singing voice is really very nice.)

Hatless and down to his rolled-up shirtsleeves, Aristede opens the coffin. No doubt he is annoyed that his nice clothes are dirty, but Petofi's attention is all for the apprently extremely decomposed Mr. Howell. He apologizes to him nicely and says they have work to do.

Quentin has gone to see a woman--his sister-in-law at the Old House. He tries to get her to help him rescue Barnabas. Are you crazy? Magda exclaims. No, Quentin replies, I think there’s a chance for us to succeed. Magda argues, You tried to save him once before. You’re lucky you got away with your life! If you try a second time and I help you, both of us will be killed! I believe the situation has changed, Quentin says. Oh? she says skeptically. Has Petofi lost his powers? I don’t know about that, Quentin tells her, but I think something happened earlier, when Petofi was at Collinwood. When he left there, I could swear he was very frightened, and he isn’t a man who frightens easily. Whatever caused his fear may be enough to distract him while we get Barnabas. You’re a fool, Magda says bluntly. Petofi is too strong, too smart, his powers are too great. Quentin tries one more time: Barnabas holds the key to the future. Now, for some reason, I’m part of that future, of his time. I have to find out how it will affect me. I’m going to free Barnabas one way or another--are you with me or not? Pressing her lips together, Magda thinks for a moment. What do you say? Quentin asks impatiently. Grudgingly she admits, You’ll need somebody to distract Aristede, so I’ll go--but I want to hear your plan. We’ll make a plan on the way, Quentin answers, but stops and stares out the window. I thought I saw a face, he explains. I saw no one, Magda says dismissively. Quentin looks again, but the face is gone. The next moment, they hear a single thud at the door. Quentin opens the door to look and sees no one--but finds a note pinned to the door with a dagger. The note is brief and to the point: Between life and death, there is not room for a flea to jump. What does it mean? he asks. Magda knows all too well. Horrified, she wails, It’s from the gypsies, from King Johnny of the Romana tribe! They’ve come for the hand--and for me!........

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 02:36:21 AM »
Petofi again fails to show someone her future, by turning some object into a time window.  Charity sees Aristede's death, which [spoiler] does eventually happen this way, it will look this way, that is, but it won't be a gypsy with a scimitar.

I liked how Petofi put it, talking about changing Charity permanently: a new life which others will not understand, but which she will enjoy.  I always thought it was interesting that no one seriously tried to change her back, not Trask out of judgmentalism and distaste, and everyone else because they apparently thought Charity's old self wasn't worth bringing back.  The "trollop" was a better person, and enjoyed herself more.  By holding down her inner Pansy, denying it, she made her need for life come out in distorted ways, as greed and envy.  It's part of the point of view of the show I think-- non-judgmentalism, egalitarianism, adventurousness over sobriety.[/spoiler]

Pansy's always "on", isn't she?  I'm already tired of that song, unfortunately.  Petofi and Aristede go shopping in a graveyard, as DS characters so often do.  Good old DS.  A Mr. Howell contributes his hand... I pictured them opening the casket and trying to borrow money from Mr. Howell.  He's loaded, I hear. 

King Johnny knifes the front door of the Old House, leaves threatening poetry.  Why didn't he just walk in and get her right then?  End.

[bonny_hand] [bonny_hand] [bonny_hand]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »
I think [spoiler]the only person alive who cares about Charity as Charity is her father--and he has more pressing worries right now. [/spoiler]

Why didn't King Johnny just stab Magda right then and there? For one thing, Quentin was visiting his sister-in-law. And for another, [spoiler]we soon will find out that KJ has a rather nasty taste for torture.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 02:42:17 AM »
Suspense being part of the torture?  They are very theatrical.  Good point about the "brother in law" being there... [spoiler]A bit later on, we'll find that Gregory is quite willing to edit Charity out of his life, as the possession persists.  I might have seemed callous about Charity Proper, and too willing to look upon becoming Pansy permanently as a solution or happy ending.  I love how shows like DS get you to look at life situations in new ways, though, and I love how, unexpectedly, it all works out for the best for her, I think.  [/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 05:54:07 AM »
I agree, Magnus. And from what I remember it really comes thru in the portrayal.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:34:58 AM »
I wish you could participate more, dom.  Maybe we'll reach a point where you have the tapes again-- I hope so.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »
I agree on both counts. I miss you too, dom. And yes, MT, I agree with your spoiler. And I have some ideas about how it all worked out in the end, but they'll have to wait.