Author Topic: OT - Good News for "Suspiria" Fans  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Good News for "Suspiria" Fans
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2004, 10:33:15 AM »
This is probably going too far off topic here, but ...

"The Wicker Man" has been minutely analyzed to the extent that every filming site has been photographed and documented and every line and reference analyzed and explained.

While Suspiria has its legions of followers, I haven't found that this film has received quite the same analysis, although it has been analyzed in terms of the filming techniques and stylistic form (which, on the other hand, I haven't seen for Wicker Man).   (And Eye of the Devil, which is my personal favorite, has not received either sort of in-depth study to my knowledge.)

For example, I wondered if anyone has translated the Latin or Hebrew words that appear in gold lettering along the walls leading up to the sanctuary.  (I've had one semester of Latin so I suppose I could do this myself if I had the time ... )

Does anyone know exactly what is going on when Joan Bennett's character is being served in a ritual that appears to possibly be a "black mass"?  I'm not sure just what a black mass is, but in this scene she seems to be served a type of "communion."

I'm reading a book I recently obtained from a small press in England on old Finnish magical practices and the author refers briefly to a black mass where a slice of turnip dyed black is served.  (I'm not certain in this instance if the author is referring to an English ritual as the writing is a bit unclear.)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2004, 01:18:18 AM »
For example, I wondered if anyone has translated the Latin or Hebrew words that appear in gold lettering along the walls leading up to the sanctuary.  (I've had one semester of Latin so I suppose I could do this myself if I had the time ... )

Actually, I've seen a translation of the motto somewhere. In a print article or on a site. Can't remember for sure. I'll try and run it to earth, but it's out there.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2004, 03:29:42 AM »
Darkshadowyfigure, as to what to see after Inferno...If you liked Deep Red, Tenebre is in that mold.

Well I did a little splurging at Deepdiscountdvd and purchased Inferno, Tenebre and the limited edition set of Suspiria, which was only a few dollars more than the regular edition dvd. Thanks for the recommendation. The Bird With The Crystal Plumage looks very interesting, I do like Ennio Morricone's film scores.

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2004, 05:26:52 AM »
Let me know what you think of Tenebre--I haven't quite decided yet! Has anyone seen Opera?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2004, 06:08:28 PM »
Just an annoying reminder and equally annoying request from an annoying moderator [heh]--

The topic is about Suspiria, and the mods are hoping the discussion can find its way back to that.