Author Topic: Some Things That Just Seemed To Gradually Disappear on DS  (Read 4039 times)

Offline BangsnFangs

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Some Things That Just Seemed To Gradually Disappear on DS
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 08:31:39 PM »
The whole thing with Vicki wanting to live in Seaview Terrace after marrying Burke, and Barnabas finding the monogrammed handkerchief may have been a last ditch effort to explain Vicki's origins, but because of 1795 it was never explored again.  Then again, it could have just been filler.

It didn't really disappear, but as the series progressed, the Blue Whale in its various incarnations was shown less and less.  I remember seeing it a few times in 1840, but I don't think it was in 1841PT.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 10:04:08 PM »
At the first Festival back in 1983, Ron Sproat said there were plans to address Vicki's parentage in 1968. Alexandra's abrupt departure killed the idea.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 11:30:59 PM »
Doctor and K9:

[spoiler]I always thought that Quentin was the one who killed Stella.  David Selby suddenly had to be hospitalized about 2 weeks from the end of the series, and I always thought that the mystery was left unsolved because that was the solution they had for it and they couldn't come up with anything else.  The idea that Melanie was the culprit was, IMO, a red herring.[/spoiler]

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 01:10:01 AM »
Not a theory that I had ever heard before, Gothick. But I like it.  [8_1_202]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline BangsnFangs

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 01:17:28 AM »
It would have given 1841PT Quentin a little more to do rather than just being another generic Quentin.  If I remember correctly he spent some time in prison, but the exact nature of his crime was never revealed.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 01:32:11 AM »
I think it was manslaughter. I remember him saying something to Daphne about killing someone who spread stories about the Collins family.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
I thought Ned and Sabrina were 1968:
[spoiler] They came to 'see' Chris, and we are fed the werewolf story [/spoiler]

What about the ?family? crypt, which (ha-ha) houses:

Laura
Stockbridge
Murdoch
yada
yada
YADA
YADA

.....get it....?

And, I may be forgetting, but do we see The Blue Whale
[spoiler] after Barn goes back AGAIN to 1796 and 'encounters' Nathan Forbes[/spoiler]

Also, I always forget the name of the 'mansion', which Elizabeth is I believe going to give Vicki as a wedding gift (can't remember who she's marrying), but can't, because yada stay in the family....
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »
We see the Eagle/Blue Whale once in 1840/1841PT. Kendrick Young meets Gerard Stiles there. As in 1840/1841RT, Gerard has psychic powers, and Kendrick hires him in an attempt to find out what happened to his (K.'s) sister Stella.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 01:17:04 AM »
We see the Eagle/Blue Whale once in 1840/1841PT. Kendrick Young meets Gerard Stiles there. As in 1840/1841RT, Gerard has psychic powers, and Kendrick hires him in an attempt to find out what happened to his (K.'s) sister Stella.

PT Gerard always strikes me like a practical joke on the producers' part!  After an achingly long set of storylines orchestrated around this one character, and then after their having gone to PT without him, suddenly they drop him in... then they yank him away again!  I wonder if there was promotion around it, then it fell flat....?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 01:27:44 AM »
Maybe he just had one more appearance on his contract. They might have been deciding whether or not to call him back.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 04:26:37 AM »
Aside from the business with Kendrick and a brief mention of a past relationship with PT Daphne,  Gerard is never heard from again. His function as the friendly neighborhood psychic is turned over to Carrie Stokes.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 04:38:02 AM »
PT Samantha also disappears abruptly.  In that case I figured it was simply that Virginia Vestoff's schedule got way too busy to cross town to do the show.  She was appearing in 1776 simultaneously with working on DS for at least a few weeks or months as I recall.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »
They must be able to plan ahead and get assurances from actors, at least somewhat, that they'll be available later.  DS couldn't have been considered just a job that can be forgotten about if something better comes along... if it was, the producers should have had a way of protecting themselves from actors drifting off prematurely...?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
perhaps some actors had some sort of informal agreement with Curtis that allowed them to come and go as they wished. Karlen certainly seemed to have had such and arrangement...

but really the only way to get "assurances" of their future availability is to get them under long or short term contract. off-contract "day players" are free to come and go as they please and take whatever work they find most suitable. if an abrupt departure left DS in the lurch they producers were free to recast or write the character out of the storyline, and perhaps a "bridge was burned" and the actor not asked back, but that actor was under to legal obligation to the program.

and in terms of "something better coming along" daytime soap work at the time was not particularly lucrative or prestigious. even the actors themselves have quipped at their somewhat meager wages. so other film, stage or television work might have actually been more desirable to them at the time.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 03:23:51 AM »
Another aspect of 1841pt that just vanishes (though we never saw her in the first place ) was the Woman in White. She was supposed to appear prior to the passing of a member of the Collins family.  After Justin dies, she is never mentioned again.  Even when people started dropping like flies. Was she out of a job once the patriarch died?
Fade Away and Radiate