Author Topic: Some Things That Just Seemed To Gradually Disappear on DS  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Some Things That Just Seemed To Gradually Disappear on DS
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »
Hey, gang,

Over the four plus years of  Dark Shadows, there were a few items that seemed to eventually just fade from our view:

1. Maggie Evans' blond hair just "transformed" to KLS' natural brunette color one day in the Collinsport Inn Coffee Shop. [hall_shocked]

2. Barnabas' stylish hat, which he had on when Mrs. Johnson answered the door in April of 1967, was gone within a day or two (at the most).  [hall_huh]

3. Nicholas Blair's seemingly trademark gray, three-piece-suit was gone by the time he returned to oversee the Leviathon plot for world domination, and replaced by a navy blue, double-breasted suit.  (Maybe this was a good thing, when you consider that the suave warlock's original gray suit must have become "slightly" worn and somewhat "aromatic" by the time that Nicky B. returned in 1970.) [hall_rolleyes]

4. And, finally, John Yeager's "somewhat" prominent proboscis just seemed to transform into a normal schnozolla after a couple of days.  I've often wondered if the truly brilliant Dr. Cyrus Longworth was able to perform a rhinoplasty procedure on himself while he was in his alter ego state?     [hall_huh] [hall_wink]

Can you think of any other facets of DS that seemed to just disappear as the show progressed?

Bob

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Some Things That Just Seemed To Gradually Disappear on DS
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:42:35 PM »
Those are good, Bob! The one that comes to mind for me is in 1840PT, when we meet Catherine and Morgan. It turns out that he's supposed to be a painter with a studio, but after this one and only mention, we never see or hear about Morgan's artistic career again.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:46:03 AM »
Dark Lady, you reminded me of a character from that storyline who abruptly vanishes with no explanation. There are two appearances by Samantha Drew. We learn very little about her. She was Justin's nurse and is an old friend of Catherine's. And she didn't care much for Morgan. Which makes her a good deal more perceptive than most of the other characters.
 [8_1_209]
 [baticon] [8_1_209]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:36:46 AM »
There are disappearances that aren't so mysterious, where there was no particular reason for the character or thing to hang around, and others where something or somneone was set up as being important, then disacarded.

I keep forgetting that Gerard pops up in PT 1841.  He and Samantha may just have been token drop ins for novelty value, but Gerard looked as if he was going to be important, then was gone.

There is of course Evan Hanley's extravagant and transparent wife. 

[candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
once the main character suddenly became a creature who could only exist at night most of the ordinary "daytime" sets...the Collinwood kitchen, the diner, the cannery offices...were jettisoned.

replaced by crypts, basement laboratories, and the 'old house' as a main location.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:17:05 PM »
Maybe Samantha and Gerard ran off together in PT, since that was impossible in RT.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
Lawyers tended to disappear with no explanation, better then most male doctors fared anyway, like Richard Garner, Frank Garner, & Tony Peterson.  Also, Chris Collins in PT 1970.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
Disappearing characters is not always a bad thing. The eternally unpopular Ned Stuart is never seen after 1897. No one seems to miss him, including Sabrina.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 10:03:48 PM »
Disappearing characters is not always a bad thing. The eternally unpopular Ned Stuart is never seen after 1897. No one seems to miss him, including Sabrina.
You are technically correct. He is never SEEN again LOL. He does appear in Return to Collinwood. Apparently he also has a personality overhaul. His behavior is totally different!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »
Perhaps he finally grew up? [hall2_wink] [hall2_smiley] [hall2_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 12:44:27 AM »
Perhaps he finally grew up? [hall2_wink] [hall2_smiley] [hall2_wink]

Actually I've argued that very point to others. A lot of time has passed. I think he worked through many of his demons, just like people often do in real life. Still, the change was not explained or even remarked upon. That's a bit of a plot hole.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 01:38:49 AM »
Interesting. We are given very little background on Ned's character (and not very much more on Sabrina), so really anything is possible. It's odd that some fans can accept some of the most bizarre stuff on DS (not the supernatural stuff but Maggie the waitress I'd somehow qualified to Briscoe a governess) but disallow that characters can change over the years.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 02:16:34 AM »
It's a bit strange seeing a change in character without having the dots connected for us, as far as how he/she changed.  That's not necessarily a mistake.  We don't or shouldn't need everything spelled out for us.  It's unsatisfying, though, not to have seen the transition.    [candle_in_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »
It's beyond bizarre at the very end of the show that Kendrick Young (played by John Karlen) comes to Collinwood to solve the mystery of his disappearance, then winds up leaving without ever really talking about Stella for the last few weeks of his time there.

I always wonder who took care of Julia's fish in the aquarium in her office... If I recall correctly, the aquarium was moved into a lounge type space which was where Chris first went to see Amy (or Molly, as her name originally was).

G.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 04:29:42 AM »
It's beyond bizarre at the very end of the show that Kendrick Young (played by John Karlen) comes to Collinwood to solve the mystery of his disappearance, then winds up leaving without ever really talking about Stella for the last few weeks of his time there.

[spoiler]Kendrick does find out about Stella's fate. He discovers that she was killed by Melanie when she was possessed. Because she was not in control, he's able to forgive her.[/spoiler]