Author Topic: Hey! was Jonathan Frid sexy?  (Read 6132 times)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Hey! was Jonathan Frid sexy?
« on: February 16, 2004, 07:26:01 PM »
I'm still not quite sure why I just loved him as Barnabas. But was he sexy? My personal opinion is that the character of Barnabas could have been very very sexy and/or erotic indeed, but did JF play that potential up...nope, not in my opinion. And why was that? The times perhaps? His religious upbringing? Or was it that he was fearless in his interpretation of Barnabas in going anywhere except THERE.
Opinions anyone? Negative or positive, I'm curious.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re:Hey! was Jonathan Frid sexy?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 09:43:37 PM »
I disagree with you.  He was and still is very sexy man.  Back when he was playing Barnabas, he was the most mature, sensual and steamy man to play that part.  Why you asked?  He was passsionate, guilt-ridden, look at you with those big brown eyes of his, didn't like what he was, erotic, and HOT. He was the only reason I watched  DS when I was 10, and he's the only reason I'm watching it now.

If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be a DS.  Not really.

Was Jonathan Frid sexy?  You better believe it.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 10:19:54 PM »
Why you asked?  He was passsionate, guilt-ridden, look at you with those big brown eyes of his, didn't like what he was, erotic, and HOT. He was the only reason I watched  DS when I was 10, and he's the only reason I'm watching it now.

JF and some of the other great character actors and writing AND set design are the only reasons I watch DS also. But in observing JF I can't help but notice that he seemed uncomfortable in the physical romantic arena. Don't get me wrong, he's tremendously romantic with his words, dark brooding looks and voice, and was unmatched (still is in daytime and prime TV I believe) in his ability to phrase romantic dialogue. I wonder if it has anything to do with his classical training?

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 12:38:05 AM »
Stefan...I think any 'Dracula' type roll (not necessarily any 'vampire') is a sexual-type being.

I'm glad you mentioned J. Frid's classical training; I was going to mention that. He's quite well trained; and I believe he tried to be meticulous without being hammy.

I tend to wonder if Mr. Frid had anything to do with 'Barnabas' being so self-absorbed.

Anyone ever heard anything about that?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 01:53:28 AM »
I read somewhere that he played Barnabas as he would have an alcoholic--and an alcoholic can be pretty self-absorbed/solipstical.

As far as sexy goes, Barnabas never did it for me, but I can still see the character as having that sexy edge to him.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 03:54:41 AM »
Was Jonathan Frid sexy? 

[nono]"no no no"
But he was mysterious and tortured which always pulls the women folk in. . .
Julia99

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 04:06:08 AM »
Stefan,

If you're talking sexual chemistry, IMO I believe he had sometimes great, always good chemistry with Lara Parker as Angelique.  I just never bought all the others they put him with including KLS, Alexandra, Donna and on and on.  Maybe he was uncomfortable because most of the women they put him with were young enough to be his daughter.

I think as stated before a vampire always has some sexual tension going on.  As far as Jonathan Frid being sexy I'll leave it to the ladies to decide that one.

Murph

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 05:50:47 AM »
Maybe he was uncomfortable because most of the women they put him with were young enough to be his daughter.

I wonder about this one, though as a professional you'd think he'd put his own feelings aside but...being of his generation I bet it was difficult for him. I also get the impression he is a conservative and shy person. Maybe he was self-conscious?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 04:51:18 PM »
Even though they were very different characters, I think Barnabas and Mr. Spock had some things in common in terms of the way fans reacted to them back in the Sixties.  Spock was so cool, intellectual, and controlled, it really seemed to fan the flames for a lot of viewers, and the writers were wise to include a couple of characters onscreen who could act out that passionate response--notably Christine Chapel, incarnated by the fabulous Majel.

With Barnabas, I think the way Frid played him with those silent, big brown eyes staring in anguish up at the sky, brought a quality of what back then we called "soul" to the character.  And, in the Sixties, Soul was very, very sexy!  I think how fans reacted to Barnabas was due entirely to Frid's performance, particularly the non-verbal parts (though his voice was very alluring, especially at moments when he was more confident and in control of the material).  On paper, Barnbas was a regular cad in the beginning, and even in his most altruistic moments could always drop everything if he got some Sweet Young Thing in his sights.  On screen, with Frid's performance, the character was transformed, and fans voted across the nation by keeping glued to their TV sets at 4 p.m. every afternoon.

Thinking about what a huge impression Spock and Barnabas made back in the Sixties and looking at today's teen crushes--Justin Timberlake, Tom Welling, a bunch of other guys whose names escape me--really slaps me in the face with how much times have changed since then.

G.

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 05:08:44 PM »
the writers were wise to include a couple of characters onscreen who could act out that passionate response--notably Christine Chapel, incarnated by the fabulous Majel

Oh My God, Steve! I'm a Majel fan too.  Grayson, Donnie, Majel--we really do think alike!

Lwaxana (can't spell it) is to Majel as Magda is to Grayson.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 10:44:47 PM »
Yes. Johnathan Frid was definately sexy as Barnabas. The eyes. The dark make-up around those intoxicating, mesmerizing eyes.
And he was smooth, telling lies. He would moisten his lips ever so slightly and then bat his eyes like crazy. Yup. He was one sexy vampire.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 05:38:56 AM »
I tend to wonder if Mr. Frid had anything to do with 'Barnabas' being so self-absorbed.

This is interesting because ( and I only have 1795, intro to barnie and dreamcurse to compare) Barnabas was VERY self-centered as a vampire but I also think he was warm and caring as a person when human. Remember Barnabas helping Vickie in 1795? his sympathy towards his mother, anger over his father's tyranny, the evil fanatic Rev. Trask, and his love for his sister? As a vampire Barnabas could not SEE anyone anymore thus explaining why he never really cared to know that Julia loved him. that Vickie had no interest in him and cutting off Jeff's head wouldn't change it, that Maggie was NOT Josette and didn't care for him at all...the list goes on. I understand as a vampire Barnabas did change over the years and became more sympathetic and commanding.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 01:49:49 AM »
I don't know if I would classify Mr. Frid as sexy.  Think about for a moment the victims he put the bite on.  Meghan Todd acted like she had been totally sadisfied.  I am sure many of us thought the " I'll have what she is having.  Charity Trask had the same kind of reaction.  On the other hand Maggie didn't, neither did Carolyn.  Don't quite get why,  Maybe because Carolyn was a relation.   Why not Maggie?  At the time he put the bite on Maggie the writers were not going in that direction.  Sex was a definite a part of the alore.  Sorry I am the worst speller and some one has moved my dictionary.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 03:47:32 AM »
I never found Frid to be sexy when he played Barnabas.  However, I do think that as Bramwell, JF was quite sexy.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 03:18:06 PM »
For me, he was very sexy.  You look at him and he seems so ashamed of what he's done, that "me" would say "It's alright Barnabas, come here and you an cry on my shoulder"  It's chemistry.  Some girls like him and some don't.  Take, oh I don't know, R. D.  I personally don't find anything sexy about him......but there are some girls that do find him sexy.  Chemistry.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.