Author Topic: Of interest for Leviathans fans  (Read 643 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Of interest for Leviathans fans
« on: October 04, 2014, 07:18:35 PM »
This new annotated edition of a selection of Lovecraft's tales looks very cool.  Of the stories chosen, "The Dunwich Horror" was the source material for the DS Leviathans storyline, and "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" had themes that show up in various DS narratives. "Dreams in the Witch House" might have suggested the idea of a "dream curse," although I've always thought the actual source for that was the classic E. F. Benson story "The Room in the Tower" (which has made me sleep with the light on more than once). Note that celebrity DS fan Gahan Wilson (a very talented artist) wrote a blurb strongly praising the new book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0871404532/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=19X9847PVVRBK65FT3F1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

If the link doesn't work for you, just search "The Annotated Lovecraft" on the site.  This book is scheduled to be released in mid-October.

G.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Of interest for Leviathans fans
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:31:40 AM »
I hadn't heard about this book, so thank you for letting us know about it. I was introduced to Lovecraft largely through your comments on this board years ago. "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" is one of my favorite books. I felt I could relate to Charles's obsessive pursuit of his ancestry and their historical period. Lovecraft's weaving of actual locations and historical events around Providence was masterful, and I was thrilled to see a little of Providence during my trip to Newport this past July. I have the recent Joshi annotated edition of "Charles Dexter Ward," and it's hard to think what stone remains to be uncovered after his thorough commentary.

Isn't Klinger (apparently the editor of this new Lovecraft collection) the one who did the excellent and thorough annotation of "Dracula" a few years back? The only thing I didn't like about his annotations was his adopting the persona that he was editing and commenting on actual documents and real events. But the information he provided was remarkable and enhanced my reading of what has been another favorite book of mine.

I am worried about getting yet another monumental book, though. I see this one is over 900 pages. I just don't have room for all the books I've accumulated and continue to accumulate, though I have weeded a few. It's always hard to part with nearly any book.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995