Author Topic: DS clay figures  (Read 2187 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS clay figures
« on: February 08, 2004, 08:16:05 AM »
Clay Figures

Cute stuff. Love the suit on Julia.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:DS clay figures
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 08:45:28 AM »
So clever!  Agree about Julia's suit - but Angelique is rather ugly instead of beautiful!  Quentin, too!!!
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 09:40:35 AM »
Love the suit on Julia.

The perfect Julia outfit - but Quentin looks like he just stepped out of a '60s Star Trek episode.  :D

(Buffy fans should check out their clay figures. Love Vamp Willow!)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 11:26:06 AM »
Hey!!!  I like my clay Quentin.  :D

Offline Ricky101

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Lucille Ball Online
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 01:19:33 PM »
LOL!  I like the Julia one the best, she looks better there than on the TV.   :P ;)

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 04:38:27 PM »
     Julia and Barnabas were good but Angelique looked way too homely.  I think Quentin would have looked better dressed in a period costume.  The outfit he is wearing does look like he is a crew member aboard the Enterprise.  At least, he isn't wearing the expendable crew member red.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

LorraineAAB

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 08:26:09 PM »
     Julia and Barnabas were good but Angelique looked way too homely.

Julia's face and gesture looked a lot like the Classic Horror Bride of Frankenstein--- must have used parts of the same molds.  None of the female figures are too pretty, but some, like the two (!) Buffys and the pneumatic  ;D Cassandra Mistress of the Dark, have better action or alluring poses.

Angelique should have been depicted in simplified versions of 1897 or 1840 dresses, casting a spell or some other threatening gesture.  Well, you CAN get an unpainted version, and make her as psycho-delicious as you please, but there's nothing you can do with her demure hands, unless you paint in a voodoo doll or a sprig of nightshade!

I think Quentin would have looked better dressed in a period costume.  The outfit he is wearing does look like he is a crew member aboard the Enterprise.  At least, he isn't wearing the expendable crew member red.

Another impression I got was that he was a 1970's street-wise action hero in a freeze-frame shot--- all he needs is a wise-cracking sidekick. "Catch the next thrilling episode of Quentsky and Hunch !" 8)

Funny how they have a display staircase for the Night Stalker figurines, and no Grand staircase upon which one could perch his / her DS dust collectors.  I suppose you COULD get the NS one, but it's SO plain.  Save some $$$ and build your own....

L.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 09:58:05 PM »
Save some $$$ and build your own....

I noticed you could buy them unpainted and paint them yourself. That could be fun but it's not "my thang". At least Ang could be made to look a bit prettier. Could be a fun activity at an infomal DS gathering.

dom...still lovin that Julia figure!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 02:43:06 PM »
i like Julia   best too  angelique looks like an ugly spell was put on her
(maybe a jealous  female) Q man  does look like Spock [lol2]

jennifer
also they are  a tad too pricey for me  :-X
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Ricky101

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Lucille Ball Online
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 06:03:52 PM »
Yeah, the Quentin one is probably my least favorite.  The clothes don't look too good.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 09:38:44 PM »
 :D  Actually, i think they are all kinda cute. I think i would have recognized them even out of context. I agree Quentin should have a period costume, but I do see some resemblance. Hey, I saw a Dracula figure on a different website that don't look so much like Lugosi as it was a dead ringer (all puns intended) for Howard Dean.  I thoght both the Julia and Angelique clay figures were nicely feminine.
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

LorraineAAB

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 03:12:56 AM »
:D  Actually, i think they are all kinda cute. I think i would have recognized them even out of context. I agree Quentin should have a period costume, but I do see some resemblance. <snip>  I thoght both the Julia and Angelique clay figures were nicely feminine.

The Angelique figure, in her grey gown and wringing her hands, is clearly based on a specific old publicity photo of Lara Parker that has since appeared in one of those PomPress almanacs.  The Quentin may well be a replica of a "groovy" pic from "16" or Tiger Beat or other teeny-bopper fan mag, of D. Selby in "civilian" clothes he actually owned.

Too bad in a way, considering the detail lavished on many of the other figurines, including Barnabas's fangs.  A statuette of Ange in her filmy pale green vampire gown might have been a better costume choice.  I've no doubt that Quentin in his "morning after the werewolf night" tattered blouse might have appealed to some of the ladies ! [b003]

L.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 12:00:28 PM »
The Quentin may well be a replica of a "groovy" pic from "16" or Tiger Beat or other teeny-bopper fan mag, of D. Selby in "civilian" clothes he actually owned.

No pic I've ever seen.  ;)

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 10:00:11 PM »
Just when I needed a break from cataloging a bunch of rotting, old books-  Thanks!!

What fun!  I love Barnabas' expression; he's really in touch with his inner vampire.  I also agree that Angelique is way too homely, although they did capture something of Quentin.

In a strange way, I found these figurines inspiring as I make miniature dolls myself and have even created one of our favorite vampire, although am none too happy with him.  Maybe I should give it another go one of these days!
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher