Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--Wedding Bell Blues  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--Wedding Bell Blues
« on: March 14, 2002, 03:20:23 AM »
Fashion notes first . . .

Joan Bennett looked really good in black (I want those jet earrings!  :D) But back to her dress, wow, did she win the wardrobe stakes or what?  A bit frou frou for around the house, but the black and the gold was stunning on her.

Runner up for best dressed is Angelique.  I don't find Ms Parker particularly attractive or beautiful, but she looked lovely in that wedding dress.  Too much rouge, but other than that, she was also a stunner--and white is a hard color to wear.  I love Regency clothes, but with the exception of Millicent's and occasionally Josette's wardrobe, we seldom see them.  This was really such a very pretty dress too.

Less attractive was Josette's mourning veil.  Yes, she would be in black and yes, she would wear such an item outside the house, but inside?  I think not, although perhaps Happybat can enlighten me on this note.

And the loser in today's wardrobe sweepstakes continues to be Alexandra Moltke.  I don't get it.  What did she do to deserve being stuck in that supremely unattractive red dress with the white bib?  We can't blame this on authenticity, because the maid has better clothes than she does, for God's sakes.

Okay, on with the show.

The acting was quite good.  Kudos go to Louis Edmonds (and if I do any more of these idle thoughts, they are going to continue to go to him--IMHO, he is simply the best actor in this story arc, hands down).  Watching him lay down the law to Barnabas and then the scene with Bennett was wonderful.  I often simply don't "get" Barnabas, but watching the interaction with his father explains quite a lot--you can see why Joshua is frustrated and likewise Barnabas.  Even if we do believe the highly improbable notion that Barnabas is only 25, given the life expectancy of people in that time, that Barnabas is still ditzing around and hasn't carved out at least his career is quite telling.  And how frustrating would it be to have a father who is so stern and rigid?

I also enjoyed Bennett's scene with Barnabas and Angelique.  It's rather like a Greek tragedy, but then so is this whole story arc.

Some nice writing regarding the whole disinheriting thing.  I think Angelique would be changing her tune PDQ when she realized all her dreams of being the society lady were gone.  

Brief digression: Having gone through all of that sturm and drang to wring a proposal out of Barnabas, I would have thought that the first thing Angelique would have done was to get released from her duties as maid and yet, here she is working away, very weird.

But it was a nice scene and they both played it very well--she was oblivious to his lack of enthusiasm for the entire marriage and the cost to him of his family, fortune and future, and he was beautifully uncomfortable, but very honest with her.

Vicki.  Okay.  [bnghd] She trusts Barnabas, fine.  But what kind of a nut do you have to be to tell him that you're from the future?  Keep your mouth shut, honey and just deal.  Oy.

As for Barnabas deciding to hide Vicki.  I can see why he would do it (although if I were in his shoes and had just heard the spacy governess telling me how she was from 1967, I would be rethinking that one), but having made that decision, he chooses not to confide in his future wife???  

Bandage boy.  So not only did the guy get thrown in a shallow grave without a coffin, a fresh change of clothes, or clean bandages (from the chest wound), but they're still bleeding!  Blood, contrary to what they show on DS, does not dry bright scarlet or even deep red.  It turns brown, rather quickly (Lizzie Borden was seen burning a dress with brown stains shortly after her father and stepmother were killed and claimed that she had done so because it had become stained from when the house had been painted brown and that was seen as perfectly plausible).  Not very dramatic, but there you go.  

Still it makes for some fun scenes to see her being tormented by her own creation as it were.  

All very much, IMHO and I remain,
Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--Wedding Bell Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2002, 11:03:28 AM »
As to Barnabas not confiding in his future wife about hiding Vicki, I think that was what he was about to do.  He came into her room and said he had something important to tell her, but then he noticed how strange she was acting and the conversation switched to her problems and not being married in that house.
Josette

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2002, 02:11:23 PM »
Contrary to belief, white is a good color for blondes. I don't know about the rest of you but I prefered Angelique's gown to that of Jossette. Yes Luciaphil, Ms. Parker did look stunning in it.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2002, 07:08:12 PM »
Hi all!

I tried to post earlier but without registering, so no show on the messages for me.  Oh well!

Anyway, I have to admit that I have yet to watch yesterday's eps, but thought this might be a good time to comment on the costumes yet again.

Yes, Luciaphil, I don't like the idea of a mourning veil indoors either and doubt that they would have worn them this way in 1795 or any other time for that matter.  But I'm no expert on mourning dress, so my opinion is in this case not a very informed one, I'm afraid.

I do have to comment on Angelique's LOVELY cotton print muslin gown with the green sash.  It may surprise some of you to hear this, but this dress is IMHO perhaps the most historically accurate one of all.  The fashion plates from the mid 1790s I recall seeing were just of these free flowing cotton print gowns with wide sashes.  Had A's gown been a little fuller, it would have looked absolutely perfect.  Josette's gowns are quite good, too, but they look almost a bit more post 1800 style (think Empress Josephine here).  

I'd like to say more, but have a meeting to attend.  More later!

:D
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2002, 08:15:43 PM »
Fashion notes first . . .
And the loser in today's wardrobe sweepstakes continues to be Alexandra Moltke.  I don't get it.  What did she do to deserve being stuck in that supremely unattractive red dress with the white bib?  We can't blame this on authenticity, because the maid has better clothes than she does, for God's sakes.

Ooooo, I just LOVE fashion notes!  And I'd just like to say - YES, you'd think they could scare up a decent looking wardrobe for our heroine for heaven's sake   ::) ! My big question with Vicki's wardrobe though is not so much what she's been wearing but - HOW did she get them?  Did she end up with whats-her-face's luggage once they cleaned up the accident site or is she getting hand-me-downs from Auntie Griselda ?!? Maybe the red bibbed number was Angelique's - you just KNOW she wouldn't give her anything that actually looked good on her! [vryevl]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2002, 08:37:10 PM »
HappyBat said

"I do have to comment on Angelique's LOVELY cotton print muslin gown with the green sash.  It may surprise some of you to hear this, but this dress is IMHO perhaps the most historically accurate one of all.  The fashion plates from the mid 1790s I recall seeing were just of these free flowing cotton print gowns with wide sashes.  . "

Yes, those muslin gowns are accurate for the time period. I restored some for a Museum that looked similar. That was when I was into Textile Conservation/Restoration.

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2002, 09:46:47 PM »
VAM,

That must have been a fascinating job!  This is slightly off topic, but it reminds me of a woman whom a friend and I came to know several year ago.  She worked as a costume and textile restorer at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.  Through this woman we were both invited to several Civil War period recreationist balls where everyone had to wear authentic costume down to the last glove, corset, pantaloon and cravatte!  We spent several weekends sewing our own 1860s undergarments, but had to borrow the ballgowns, which worked out okay.  Even with my 2 left feet, I had a wonderful time dancing, chatting,  and admiring the dashing looking gentlemen in their Victorian evening wear or period North/South uniforms.  What fun that was!  Hope to participate again some day, hopefully with a cavalier of my own  ;)  Ah, but that's another story ...

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I completely agree with everyone about Vicky's awful costume, although maybe since she is now mostly in the background, the nicer, expensive costumes are going to characters who play more significant parts?  Just a thought.  

Naomi's gown is quite nice too, and the 60s pseudo-bouffant hairstyle with the ringlets reminds me a little of the towering 1770s hairstyles, which a women of Naomi's age might prefer.  The Countess's coiffure looks a lot like the "hedgehog" styles of the 1780s and early 1790s.  A nice and very believable touch!

As for the men, the suits are wonderful, but I'm still amazed that not a single one of the older generation sports a wig or wears his own hair in a queue.  I guess the Collins gents were a forward looking lot!   ;D
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT: for Happybat
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2002, 09:54:25 PM »
I tried to post earlier but without registering, so no show on the messages for me.  Oh well!

Hi back atcha, Happybat!  I'm seeing your registration date as the day we moved, so if you tried to post before you had logged in with your password, you would've seen an error message saying that the name was already in use.  If that happens again (say you forget your password and are waiting to receive it again), you can post as a guest in the meantime by altering your username slightly-- 1Happybat, for example.
Please say hi to Gingercat too. [wavey]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2002, 10:51:46 PM »
if I do any more of these idle thoughts

Perhaps we should set you up with your own column on the forum...

Luciaphil's Idle Thoughts
irregularly posted as the spirit moves her

Has a nice ring to it, don't you think? [wink2]

And it could could even be illustrated like Robservations...

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2002, 11:42:11 PM »
I enjoy reading the fashion notes, and very much enjoyed reading Luciaphil's idle thoughts.  I agree, this story (which I think is one of the tightest - not much meandering and not many outrageous inconsistencies as some others - the series did) IS like a Greek/family tragedy.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2002, 12:01:39 AM »

That would be great! Go Luciaphil! [thumb]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2002, 01:18:17 AM »
Are we taking a vote on getting LuciaPhil to write a column?  Because if we are, count me among the yea's!!

(My pain-in-the-butt cable server's been down all blasted day and I'm reading furiously now to catch up on you all before Annoying Spouse and Offspring get home and chase me off here!)
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2002, 02:50:26 AM »
VAM,

That must have been a fascinating job!  This is slightly off topic, but it reminds me of a woman whom a friend and I came to know several year ago.  She worked as a costume and textile restorer at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.  Through this woman we were both invited to several Civil War period recreationist balls where everyone had to wear authentic costume down to the last glove, corset, pantaloon and cravatte!  We spent several weekends sewing our own 1860s undergarments, but had to borrow the ballgowns, which worked out okay.  Even with my 2 left feet, I had a wonderful time dancing, chatting,  and admiring the dashing looking gentlemen in their Victorian evening wear or period North/South uniforms.  What fun that was!  Hope to participate again some day, hopefully with a cavalier of my own  ;)    ;D

Happybat,

It was a very interesting job. I did it as part of a Co-Op program at the University I was attending. In fact, I was so good at it, after some informal instruction, that they hired me to work part-time during my last year at college. Besides textiles, I worked with paper and paintings. Of course like most dream jobs there were no full time openings at the time and little money put towards this aspect of Museums. I decided to further my education and become a librarian. However, I still every once and a while do small jobs or act as a consultant. One of the reasons, I am so fond of DS is because of the period furniture, settings,clothing, etc.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2002, 06:12:39 AM »

Luciaphil's Idle Thoughts
irregularly posted as the spirit moves her

Has a nice ring to it, don't you think? [wink2]

And it could could even be illustrated like Robservations...

Gosh, I'm honored [blshy] (I'm very tempted to go all Sally Field here and start gushing, "You like me; you really like me," but I will spare you all).

If you're serious, I would be happy to try my best at it 8)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2002, 07:26:51 AM »
Gosh, I'm honored  (I'm very tempted to go all Sally Field here and start gushing, "You like me; you really like me," but I will spare you all).

If you're serious, I would be happy to try my best at it

We like you and we're serious.....GO FOR IT![thumb]

[shadow=teal,left,300]Always, Minja[/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"