Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0770  (Read 793 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0770
« on: August 16, 2014, 12:52:04 PM »
Robservations #770

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0770

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:25:20 PM »
Jamison is about to open the coffin when he hears someone enter the house upstairs.

Dirk looks very much the worse for wear, with blood streaming from the puncture wounds in his neck. Barn orders him to sit down. Dirk asks why Barn hasn't killed him. You're more useful to me alive than dead, Barn says. Dirk's assignment: To convince Jamison that everything he (D.) told him (J.) was a lie.

Downstairs, Jamison decides it's time to go.

What happens if I refuse? Dirk asks, but he knows it’s really only an academic question. You can’t, Barnabas reminds him. You have no will of his own. I am your will, and you will do what I ask you to do. It may be too late, Dirk points out. No, Barnabas says. Do you think Jamison may have told someone? Yes, Dirk replies gleefully, but if he really does have no will of his own, he should be terrified at the prospect of Barnabas’s exposure. If Jamison has told anyone else, Barnabas warns, the first think I’ll do is kill you.

Jamison stumbles on the stairs. With his supernaturally keen hearing, Barn realizes he has an additional visitor. He goes to see who it is. Jamison hides behind the metal door when Barnabas opens it and goes downstairs, then he slips out the front door. Dirk is too far gone to notice him. Barn looks around downstairs but finds no one. He pops Dirk into the secret room behind the bookcase under the stairs.

Jamison marches into the Great House. Beth tries to get him to go to bed, but Jamison insists on waiting up for his father in the drawing room. Beth says she's going upstairs, but once she's out in the foyer she grabs a shawl and leaves the house.

Barnabas visits Dirk and finds him inexplicably weaker, not stronger. Beth hurries in to warn Barn that Jamison will undoubtedly blab to Edward, who is due home at 11:00. Beth takes one look at Dirk and realizes something is wrong. Barn admits that he went too far and that Dirk will not survive. Beth warns Barn again about Jamison, but Barn has a plan in case Edward comes to investigate. Everything seems so terribly hopeless, Beth says. Defeated, she sinks down onto the strange round purple settee.

Sure enough, the moment Edward returns, Jamison tells him that Dirk says that Cousin Barnabas is a vampire! Edward promises to investigate--after he takes Jamison upstairs.

When Edward arrives, Barnabas says he's shocked, shocked that Jamison believed Dirk--who after all is completely mad. I've never seen Jamison this scared, Edward says. You're a member of our family, and I won't believe anything without proof--but I must give Jamison the benefit of the doubt. What do you mean? Barnabas asks innocently. I'd like to look at your cellar, Edward replies. Jamison says he was there earlier and saw a coffin. I think you actually believe this story, says Barnabas softly. No, says Edward, I didn't say that. Take my word for it, Barnabas tells him--there is no coffin in my basement. Edward still insists on looking. My word is not enough? asks Barnabas, offended. Edward replies, Under the circumstances, not enough for Jamison, and he's the one I must deal with.

Barnabas takes Edward downstairs, but of course the coffin is long gone. Edward is puzzled, but Barnabas tells him, I think Dirk was bitter about being dismissed by Judith, and wanted to get back at the family, so he told this wild story about me. Perhaps his story wasn’t so wild, Edward muses. Surely you don’t think there is a vampire menacing all of us? Barnabas asks. There was a time I would have though it impossible, Edward replies, but since learning the truth about Laura … I can no longer dismiss the supernatural as a figment of the imagination. Then there are those strange, unexplainable attacks both here and in town. Charity Trask was one of the victims, if you recall. I do indeed, Barnabas replies. She had those strange marks on her throat, Edward continues, and the doctors couldn't explain how they were inflicted. Do you think they were made by a vampire? Barnabas asks. I don't know, Edward says, but I intend to find out, and very soon. How? Barnabas asks. I plan to track down Dirk Wilkins, Edward declares. I’m going to find out exactly what he told Jamison and demand to see whatever evidence he has. Edward goes upstairs and leaves. Barnabas remains in the cellar, thinking over their conversation.

As soon as Edward is gone, Beth comes downstairs, full of concern. I’m safe, Barnabas tells her, but only for the moment. Edward refused to believe there’s no vampire and will pursue it till he is satisfied. Then he smiles as he adds, And we must make him satisfied. Edward is looking for a vampire. Well, we will give him one. Dirk will not live out the night, but will die and rise as a vampire. I will see that Edward finds Dirk and destroys him. Then the matter will be closed and my secret safe. Pleased with his solution to the problem and apparently forgetting how “soft-hearted” Beth is, Barnabas instructs her to stay with Dirk until the end. 

Upstairs, Barnabas forgets to work the latch and simply opens the bookcase. But it doesn’t matter, because the secret room is empty. Dirk is gone!....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »
Louis Edmonds VO.  Jamison tells Edward that Barnabas is a vampire, and Edward is concerned, not dismissive, even though he does let loose with an "I've never heard anything so preposterous in all my life!!"  Barnabas's efforts are pushed aside in favor of his own crisis.  The genie is out of the bottle.  Edward searches the basement (unafraid), finding nothing, but the subject is in the air.

Barnabas lays out his new master plan, hatched on the spot, for giving Ed the vampire he wants... while he smirks about his own cleverness... yet the plan has gone wrong even before he explained it.  Dirk's dead and gone, and not in the usual sense.   Barnabas looks off in the distance in case Dirk is to be found there hiding, even though the compartment is barely big enough for a bed...

Barnabas is scary and intimidating to me this time around.  I'm still waiting for the time when he seems to become the hero, as he was for me in childhood.  I don't think it's ever coming.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »
Hang in there, MT! Still plenty of opportunities for Barn to become more heroic.

Actually, in a couple of weeks we'll have a scene that's one of my faves, and he might look a little less intimidating and maybe a little less full of his own cleverness.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:24:52 AM »
Actually, in two weeks Barnabas will commit one of his most heinous acts ever (and one that many fans will never forgive him for committing).  [ghost_shocked]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »
Yup, that's also true, I'm afraid.  [ghost_shocked]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 08:20:45 PM »
Yes MB, that event is the biggest contradiction to Barnabas-as-hero.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »
Interesting--for all that Barnabas protests that he's not anything like Angelique, he is as short-sighted as she is sometimes when he's pursuing a goal. Sometimes he seems to be thinking with his, um, fangs and not seeing the big picture.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 10:39:11 PM »
I think he's shown remarkable presence of mind up until now, when his secret seemed about to come out, but in the stretch we're starting now, I think we see a fairly realistic sort of loss of judgment due to panic and pressure.  Everything just starts coming apart too fast, and in too complex a way to keep track of.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 05:20:39 AM »
[spoiler]A few episodes after Barnabas kills Carl, an episode ends with Nora walking in on Barnabas biting Beth or Charity.  I actually kept wondering up till the next episode if he would actually kill Nora too and this was a very uncomfortable ending giving what we just seen him do before with Carl.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 06:07:02 PM »
I can see reacting that way, joeytrom.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »
Yes, so can I.  [ghost_shocked]