Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0768  (Read 638 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0768
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »
Robservations #768

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0768[/url]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0768
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
After Q and Barnabas discuss why the latter's still hanging around at Collinwood, Q goes into the foyer, but rather than just showing him walk there, instead they start playing Quentin's theme, do a close up of something in the Drawing Room I think, then cut to a close up of something in the foyer where Quentin now is.  Is this awhile later?  No.  After Q and Beth talk, they send the camera back toward the Drawing Room, where Barnabas is still just hanging around.  Why do all that?

Quentin's #1 priority now is: who got hold of the silver bullets, and has the remaining five and the gun to shoot him with.  Perfectly understandable, but for Barnabas, this is just a small monkey wrench thrown into the smooth running of his plans, a distraction to be dismissed.  It's not.  Survival instinct/terror/desperation takes over instantly for Quentin.  There are virtually no people who know about him as the werewolf, so all are suspects, even Beth.

Skulking Dirk... oh yeah, that guy... he's been gone three days.  Welcome, Crazy Dirk!!  I really like Crazy Dirk.  You know this just cannot end well!  The Letter pops up... but no, look of relief on Barnabas as he sees the page is blank.  This is a great example of thos interveaving plots.  Stuff you forgot completely about comes charging back when you least expect it! 

Interesting thing, Quentin is SO desperate to know who his potential killer is, that he plays with reality, striking Beth in a weird attempt to make the killer retroactively be her, I think.  One more reason to hate me, Beth!   If it wasn't you before, it sure is now!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:15:49 PM »
[spoiler]In the original timeline I think Crazy Dirk was the one who killed Rachael, Pansy, & Carl before probably being shot dead by Edward.[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:23:20 PM »
Joey, your spoiler is probably correct.

Yeah, MT. Why do they play Quentin's Theme when he's out in the foyer, intercepting Beth as she returns from seeing his children? He's certainly not at his best. Once more she has to lie to protect him, improsiving a story about Alice Austin, her cat, and the cat's biting Beth (to explain Barnabas's marks).

Barn loyally tells Judith that he doesn't know what's going on with Quentin.

Mad Dirk is a lot of fun--I think maybe RD was enjoying himself. Fortunately for Barnabas, Judith receives only a blank sheet of paper from the late, unlamented Laura--unlamented, that is, by everyone but Dirk. Barnabas destroyed the original letter when he first bit Dirk.

In his deep and resonant vampire’s voice of command, Barnabas tells Beth, I will need you later, in about an hour, at the Old House (for a late-night snack?). After he leaves and she is released from his spell, Beth realizes that she can’t be in two places at once.

We get another magnificent scene between Crawford and Selby, fraught with anger (his), passion (theirs) and sorrow (hers). He very cruelly slaps the one woman who is faithful to him, whatever happens.

At the Old House, Beth tells Barnabas, Quentin insisted I meet him at the cottage. He accused me of wanting to kill him. He took me by surprise. I know he’s frightened. He kept asking questions about why I went into town, and I got so confused, I almost told him about the children. That would be a mistake, Barnabas reminds her. Beth also tells Barnabas that Quentin saw the bite marks and how she lied about Alice Austen’s mother, her cat, and how it bit her. He saw the marks, Barnabas realizes with alarm. Everything that could go wrong went wrong! she sobs. Calm down, Barnabas tells her. I can’t! she sobs hysterically. I’ve been telling one lie on top of another, and soon they’ll all come crashing down on me! I don’t know how much more I can take, and there’s no one in the world I can turn to. Except me, the vampire reminds her in his most seductive voice as he gazes into her eyes--except me. Under his command, Beth calms down. Unable to turn away, she answers, And you have me, to do whatever needs to be done. And now I'll tell you what has to be done, he says. With Magda and Sandor in Boston, you must guard me. I will, Beth vows. It will be difficult, but you must do it, he says as he hands her Magda’s gun. There are winds blowing in all directions, he warns. You must be watchful. I will be, she promises. He goes downstairs to his daily rest. Beth sits upright in a chair, gun in hand.

At 5:20 a.m., Beth drifts off to sleep, but wakes with a start when Dirk sneaks in. What are you doing here? she asks. I'm here to visit Barnabas, he says. He's away, she says. Oh, yeah? he retorts. What are you doing here, then? I came to get something for Miss Judith, Beth improvises. No, Dirk replies, you're here like a watchdog. He even howls as he points to the cellar door. He's right there in that cellar, where he is every other day [what he says!]. Don’t go down there! Beth warns as she aims the gun at him. I'll kill you if you make one more move toward that door! He gazes at the gun and asks laughingly, Are you serious? Yes, I am, she retorts. Dirk easily gets the gun away from her and points it at her. Didn't your mother tell you that you should only play with dolls? he asks mockingly. (RD certainly seems to be having fun!) You're the one who'll be hurt if you go down there! Beth warns. He'll kill you if he isn't-- Isn't what? Dirk asks. Please don’t go down there! Beth begs him. And what if he's not what? Dirk repeats. I've been down there. I just don't remember now. I think I should go down there and find out! He opens the door and heads downstairs. Beth watches him, then walks to the window and looks out anxiously--just in time to hear a rooster greet the morning.

Dirk comes downstairs and thinks to himself, I’ve been here before. But the coffin was empty last time I was here--but not this time! Laura told me, of course! he realizes as his memory returns. Oh, Barnabas, you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time! And I'm gonna kill you! Because you-- Laura, I'm going to kill him because I love you. I love you. He opens the coffin.

Barnabas is just nodding off and sits up in surprise as Dirk takes aim. Realizing the danger he’s in, he tries to get the gun, but the approaching day robs him of his unhuman strength. Dirk empties the gun into him even after he collapses back into the coffin....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:01:05 AM »
I wonder if what drove Dirk crazy was the double imperative of loyalty to Laura and to Barnabas, whose vampire victim he already was, before today's cellar trip.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
Good question! If Dirk were just your average vampire victim, the thought of shooting his vampire never would have crossed his mind. But Laura had messed with his mind first, so he must have a major case of cognitive dissonance.