Author Topic: #0103/0104: Robservations 08/02/01: Will My Real Enemy Please Stand Up?  (Read 1202 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #103 - Sitting in the drawing room of Collinwood is a man who may or may not be a murderer. I still have no way of knowing whether or not he might want to make me his next victim. In spite of the plausible story he told, Roger Collins is a man driven by fear.

Roger goes upstairs at Collinwood. He knocks on Vicki's bedroom door--it's Roger, he says, I want to talk to you. Receiving no answer, he opens the door, but she isn't there, and her bed is still made. He closes the door and slowly walks away, perturbed. Vicki! He calls--Miss Winters, where are you?--Vicki? He goes back downstairs, calling her, and checks the kitchen. Are you out there? he asks.
He looks in the empty drawing room, then opens the double doors and frantically calls her name outside. "VICKI!"

Burke is sitting in the Blue Whale when Vicki comes in, and he ushers her to a table and asks her if everything is all right. I'm not sure, I have a feeling everything is all wrong, she tells him--Roger just told me the most incredible story--he said the night Bill Malloy died, he called Malloy and arranged to see him before the meeting. Roger said that? asks Burke. Yes, says Vicki, and when he got there, Malloy was already dead, he was so shocked, he didn't know what to do, so he did nothing--he knew how badly it would look for him, seeing he had motive and opportunity, and who would believe him. No one, says Burke. Maybe I believe him, says Vicki. You can't be serious, insists Burke. I'm not as sure as I was, says Vicki--he could have been telling the truth. Then who killed Bill Malloy? asks Burke. No one killed him, says Vicki, the coroner's report could have been right, it could have been an accident. Accidents don't happen that conveniently unless he helped it to happen, says Burke. I want to believe Roger, I really do, says Vicki. That's exactly what he wants! says Burke--he'd like nothing more than to have the whole thing forgotten. He doesn't want to cause Mrs. Stoddard anymore grief or trouble. Burke runs his hands over his face--oh boy, he says, he sure pulled out all the stops, didn't he? I know you think I'm an idiot, but I can't help it, she says. Burke pats her hand comfortingly--if only that fountain pen hadn't disappeared so conveniently, he says--wait a minute, you said Roger was in the house the afternoon the pen disappeared. Yes, says Vicki. Then obviously, be took it, says Burke. I know, agrees Vicki. If he had any sense at all, says Roger, he'd have thrown is as far as he could into the ocean--but maybe he didn't. What do you mean? asks Vicki. I think we could go to the police with what we know, says Burke. Roger could deny the whole thing, couldn't he? asks Vicki. Yes, of course he could, says Burke, just the way he denied knowing anything about the meeting that night--what we need is some tangible proof. The fountain pen, says Vicki. I have a crazy idea it just might work, says Burke--I'm going to Bangor tonight--would you like to come along? I can't, how could I explain it? she asks him. You still feel you owe them something, don't you? he asks. Yes I do, she replies. You'd make a very good girl scout, he says--you can stay here, he says, but I don't think you should go back up to Collinwood tonight. Why not, asks Vicki as long as Roger thinks I believe his story, I'm perfectly safe. You're not a very good liar, he says ruefully. Maybe I believe him, she says, it's perfectly possible that he is telling the truth. It's also possible he called Malloy that night, met him at Lookout point, hit him over the head and threw him into the ocean! insists Burke. Please, begs Vicki. It's also possible that if he gets the slightest inkling that you don't believe his story, he may do the same thing to you, warns Burke--he might even consider it a strong enough motive knowing you were here talking to me. I know you're exaggerating, she says. He can only be convicted of one murder, says Burke, he can only serve one life sentence, no matter how many people he kills. Please don't talk like that! pleads Vicki. You just refuse to face facts, don't you, says Burke, growing angry. What are the facts? she asks--a missing fountain pen?--Roger's story makes as much sense to me as your theory does. You're wrong, says Burke, there's one fact you've overlooked--Bill Malloy is dead.
Vicki looks uncomfortable, and Burke takes her hand in both of his for a moment and tells her he'll drive her back as far as the gate. They leave the bar.

Blue Whale - Sam, pipe in mouth, hat on his head, enters the bar and goes in. Maggie sits at a table. He comes in and they greet each other. He asks if she's been waiting long. I was beginning to think I'd been stood up by my own father, she teases--now that would have been the ultimate rejection. He chuckles and tells her she knows better, and he kisses her cheek. What can I do for you? asks Sam. I have something to tell you, says Maggie. That sounds ominous, says Sam--that's why you invited me to the Blue Whale. I thought it wouldn't sound so bad in here, she says. The bartender brings Sam a drink. All right, what is it? Sam asks, rubbing his hands together. Vicki Winters says she has proof that Bill Malloy did not die accidentally. Proof? Asks Sam, laughing in disbelief--what proof? She wouldn't tell me that--she said it wouldn't be enough to convince a jury, but it was enough to convince her--I'll tell you something, Pop, I was afraid for her--I even asked her to come stay with us. Why didn't she? asks Sam. She just didn't want to, replies Maggie. Surely she didn't think I had anything to do with it, says Sam. I'm sure she doesn't, says Maggie. Did she say that? asks Sam. Not in so many words, says Maggie, but she did tell me that if she told me anymore, I'd be in as much danger as she was--the killer might find out that I knew--so of course I realized it wasn't you she was talking about. Sam rubs his face--who is it? he asks--did she give any indication at all? Not directly, says Maggie, but who had the motive?--who else could she be talking about except Roger? Collins, eh? asks Sam, sipping his drink--I wouldn't put it past him--he had every reason in the world--did she say what she intended to do? I gather she'd already discussed it with someone, says Maggie. George Patterson, the sheriff? Asks Sam. No, Burke Devlin, says Maggie. Burke? asks Sam--I'd rather she'd gone directly to the police. If Vicki really does have proof that roger killed Malloy, says, Maggie, it doesn't involve you in any way, does it? You mean does it implicate me in any way? asks Sam--of course it doesn't--I had nothing to do with it and no knowledge about it--I didn't know Malloy was dead until the sheriff told the both of us that day in the coffee shop. That seems like years ago, remarks Maggie. I thought the whole thing was over and done with, sighs Sam. It was, says Maggie, until Vicki found out whatever it was she found out. Maybe she'll never go to the police, says Sam. But Burke will if she told him the whole story, says Maggie. The whole thing starts all over again, frets Sam, waving to the bartender for another drink. Does that mean the letter you had me put in the hotel safe is still important? asks Maggie. It might be, says Sam. And you still won't tell me what was in that letter, she says. I told you, he says, it's a life insurance policy. Haven't you been able to think of something better than that in all this time? she asks. I'd just forgotten about it, he says. So had I, until Vicki reminded me of the whole thing again, she says. The bartender brings over Sam's drink. Why couldn't she have just kept quiet? says Sam. I said the same thing, Maggie tells him, only I said it to her. What did she say? asks Sam. You know Vicki--she has a sense of duty about the whole thing, says Maggie. Yeah, says Sam, slugging down his drink. Come on, Pop, she chastises him, the Blue Whale isn't going to suddenly run out of booze, you don't have to drink them dry. I know what I'm doing, Sam assures her. Right now you do, but I want you to stay that way, she says. Don't worry about me! says Sam. You keep saying that and I keep worrying, she says--besides, I haven't told you the whole thing yet. What more is there? queries Sam. Vicki also said that Malloy's murder is tied in with that accident 10 years ago. Did she tell Burke that? asks Sam, upset. I suppose so, says Maggie. The bartender brings over another drink for Sam. It does involve you, doesn't it? asks Maggie, watching him take another slug.
She looks at him, but he doesn't reply.

The clock strikes. Roger paces the drawing room, checks his watch. He goes into the foyer and dials the phone, asking to ring Burke's room--oh, did he say when he'd be back?--I see, thank you. He hangs up, dismay on his face.

Blue Whale - What's the matter? Maggie asks her Pop, are you OK? He takes her hands, and, voice slurring, asks if she's on pretty good terms with Vicki. Sure, says Maggie. Call her up, he says. Why? she asks. I want to find out if she knows anything that could prove that Roger killed Malloy, says Sam. I did ask her that, says Maggie, and she wouldn't tell me. Try it again, he says, you're good at that sort of thing--you can always get anything from me you want. Not always, she says. Anything, he assures her, just ask, anything. All right, she says what about that letter in the hotel safe? I told you all about that! he insists--why don't you call Collinwood right now and ask Vicki. it's too late to call now, she says. No, you go on and call her, he urges, his hand on her shoulder--do that for me, Maggie, please--he gives her a dime. She goes to the phone and dials. Roger answers. Maggie says she hopes she didn't disturb him and asks to speak to Vicki. Not at all, he assures her, but she doesn't seem to be here at the moment--I called your house a little while ago, to see if she was there. No, Pop and I have been here some time now, says Maggie--at the Blue Whale. Then you haven't seen Vicki at all, says Roger.
That's why I called, says Maggie. Is there any message I can give her? asks Roger. Ask her to call me tomorrow, says Maggie. I'll do that, promises Roger, good night. Good night, she says, and both hang up. Maggie returns to the table, but Sam is gone. She looks around, then sits down, distressed.

Collinwood - Vicki comes out of the kitchen, quietly closing the door. She sneaks upstairs, but Roger calls her from the drawing room. You startled me, she says, coming back down. I'm sorry, says Roger. I didn't know anyone was up this late, she says. I was worried about you, he says--won't you come in for a moment. She joins him, walking slowly--you knew I'd gone out? she says. Please don't think I was spying on you, he says--I thought of something else that you ought to know--he prepares another drink--I went up and knocked on your door, and to my surprise, no Vicki! I couldn't sleep, she says, I went for a walk. You must be exhausted if you've been walking all this time, he chuckles grimly. I wasn't walking all the time, she says, I went to Maggie Evans' house. (uh oh) Did you? he asks--and how is Maggie Evans? She's fine, says Vicki--you remember, she called me earlier this evening. Yes, I seem to remember, you spoke at some length, says Roger--something to do with the portrait of the Hanscomb girl? That's right, nods Vicki. Then is that what you discussed this evening? asks Roger, knowing she's lying. Yes, says Vicki, she said she found out something new about it, but apparently she was wrong. What a shame, says Roger--then your visit was entirely wasted. Not really, says Vicki, I like talking to Maggie. So do I, he says, I must really get to know her better. She's lots of fun, says Vicki, it's nice to talk to someone who has no big problems to solve. Yes, says Roger, sipping his drink, I can imagine. He drains the glass. You said you wanted to see me, she says. It's not important, he assures her. What was it about? she asks. Out minds run in the same channels, I was about to suggest to you that you call Maggie Evans. What for? asks Vicki. To see if she can throw any light on the portrait of the Hanscomb girl.
That is a coincidence, agrees Vicki. I told you, laughs Roger, our minds seem to work alike. I think I'll go to bed tonight, says Vicki--I'm quite tired. You should be tired, agrees Roger, after that long walk. She nods and bids him good night. He watches her go upstairs. Pleasant dreams, Miss winters he says, taking another slug of his drink.

Vicki, wearing a nightgown, sits on her bed brushing her hair. She locks her door and turns out the light, then gets into bed.

Down in the drawing room, Roger calls the Blue Whale, asking if Sam Evans is there--oh, he did?--how long ago?--I see, but he was there earlier?--with his daughter?--did you happen to notice if there was anyone else with them?--quite alone--thank you very much--oh, no, I'll try at home. He hangs up.

Vicki hears someone unlocking her door. Who is it? she cries--who's there? But the door closes. Who's out there? demands Vicki, scrambling out of bed and putting on her robe. We hear scurrying footsteps. It's Roger--are you all right? he calls. Yes, I'm all right, she says. May I come in? he asks. Yes, she says hesitantly. He enters and turns on her light. I heard you call out, he says. Yes, she tells him--I screamed. Why, what happened? he asks. Somebody tried to get into my room, she says. What do you mean, tried to get into you room, he asks--the door wasn't locked. It was, I know it was, she says. But I opened the door, it wasn't locked, he insists. It was locked, she says--someone unlocked it and tried to get into my room!--I screamed and scared them away. Were you asleep? He asks. Yes, she says, the sound of the lock woke me up, and I saw the door opening. Are you sure it was the noise that awakened you? he asks. Yes, she says, I heard something, it terrified me. What I mean is, are you sure you were actually awake? He persists. Of course I'm sure, she says, angry, someone was outside there! But I ran upstairs, he says, I didn't see or hear anyone. You think it was my imagination, she accuses, well that door opened and it didn't open by itself. You know what I think, he says, I think you were so sleepy after that long walk, that you meant to lock the door but you didn't, you had every intention to, but just didn't get around to it--you forgot. That isn't true, she says. Did you see anyone? he asks,. No, it was dark, she says. And you were still asleep, he says. No I wasn't! she retorts. Well, don't be frightened, he says, I'm just a short way down the hall, and a light sleeper--if you hear someone skulking about, just sing out, and I'll be here before you know it. Thank you, she says. Good night, he says--oh, Vicki, I have a message for you--Maggie Evans phoned--she's been with he father all evening
--I suggest you call her in the morning and get your stories straight--good night. (uh oh!) He closes her door, and she immediately rushes over and locks it, testing the lock. She looks scared witless.

NOTES: Roger knows Vicki is lying. Will he do something to her? Was it he who unlocked her door and tried to get into her room? They are playing a little cat and mouse game here. If he knew she had been with Burke at the Blue Whale, what would he have done? Is he telling Vicki the truth about finding Malloy already dead, or is Burke right, and he's leading the innocent Vicki down a garden path of lies?

And what's with Sam? Why is he so anxious to learn what Vicki knows, if he had nothing to do with Malloy's death. The writers have made it appear that either Sam or Roger murdered Malloy to protect their 10 year old secret, making both look and sound guilty, but if neither did it, who did, if anyone? Why did Sam desert his daughter at the Blue Whale?

Burke, of course, is clinging stubbornly to the idea that Roger is the murderer; he's after revenge, and the idea of turning Roger in as a murderer would be turnabout is fair play irony to Burke.

Episode #104 - Instead of being a home, Collinwood had turned into a chamber of horrors for me--at least I expect it to be safe inside my locked room--but at Collinwood, locks don't seem to fulfill the function for which they were designed--last night, someone definitely entered my room--only my screams frightened away the intruder.

Vicki joins Liz in the drawing room. Did you sleep well? asks Liz. No, I didn't, says Vicki. Aren't you feeling well? asks Liz. Let me ask you a question--if you'd gone to bed and locked your door, then was awakened in the middle of the night to find your door being opened, would you have slept well after that? I think you'd better explain, says Liz. Someone tried to get into my room last night, says Vicki. What time was this? asks Liz. I don't know, but Roger could tell you, he heard me scream. Roger heard you? asks Liz, rising from the sofa. Yes, and apparently no one else did; he came rushing into my room almost immediately--don't look at me like that, I didn't imagine it, or dream the whole thing up like Roger suggests--there was a person trying to get into my room, and that person had a key to my room. I'm sorry that such a thing happened, and I can understand your being upset, says Liz, but it won't happen again. How do you know it won't? demands Vicki. I'll have Matthew put an additional lock on your door, and you'll have the only key, says Liz. I would feel a lot safer, says Vicki. Have you any idea what someone might want in your room? asks Vicki. No, I don't, says Vicki, I have nothing worth stealing. Then you don't think it was a prowler? Asks Liz. Why would a prowler pick one room in the house where there isn't anything of value? Asks Vicki. Perhaps he didn't know the house well, suggests Liz (leave a map at the front door). Or perhaps he knew it very well, says Vicki significantly.

Liz comes downstairs, walks into the drawing room and tells Vicki, who is drinking coffee, that she spoke to David, and he didn't know anything about it--I know he isn't always the most trustworthy person, but this time I believe him. Whoever it was tried to get into my room wasn't a prowler or burglar, says Vicki, he was after me. Matthew enters and asks, "What about a prowler?" Liz stands and thanks him for coming right away--Miss Winters thinks someone tried to force his way into her room last night. That doesn't seem likely, says Matthew, the house was locked up good, I saw to it before I went to my cottage. Couldn't the window have been locked? Asks Vicki.
Not unless twas unlocked after I made my rounds, says Matthew evenly. Do you always check the house every night? asks Vicki. Part of my job, says Matthew. Well, says Vicki then it must have been someone already in the house. That doesn't include many people, says Liz. I don't think it was anyone who lives here, says Vicki--someone could have gotten in during the day or earlier in the evening and hidden in any one of a dozen rooms. That's possible, says Liz, but it still doesn't explain why--take a look at Miss Winters' door and see what the best kind of lock would be to put on it. Safest thing would be just an inside bolt, he says, I'll see to it today--anything else? Check with me before going into town, says Liz, Mrs. Johnson might want to go with you and do some marketing. Yes, ma'am, he says, and leaves. Liz asks Vicki if she knows if Roger checked the door to the closed-off part of the house last night. No, I don't, says Vicki, but that could explain where he disappeared to. I'll go look and see, says Liz, excuse me. She heads upstairs. Vicki watches her, then picks up the phone and dials Burke, still looking around. I forgot, he said he was going to Bangor today--no, I'll call back later, says Vicki. She dials another number--Sam's--and asks for Maggie. She's not here, says Sam. Oh, she wanted me to call he, I said I would anyway--I guess I'll try the coffee shop. Actually, Maggie called you because I asked her to, says Sam, smoking and playing with the phone wire--I was the one who wanted to talk to you--it could be very important. What's it about? asks Vicki. I just might have some information for you about that portrait of Betty Hanscomb, says Sam. Can you tell me about it now? asks Vicki anxiously. Telephones have extensions, Sam reminds her, I would much rather see you alone--could you meet me this evening? Wherever you say, says Vicki. The Blue Whale, suggests Sam--no one will think it odd because I'm there almost any night anyway. Do you think you can really tell me something about myself? asks Vicki hopefully. I can't guarantee anything, says Sam, but try to make it if you can. All right, says Vicki, it will be a little bit after dark. I'll be waiting, says Sam. If you're in touch with Maggie, would you tell her I found out something more about what we were talking about yesterday, says Vicki. Something more? Asks Sam--what. Just tell her that, she'll understand, says Vicki, and hearing Liz returning, tells Sam she has to go now and quickly hangs up and walks toward the fireplace. Liz tells her that the closed off section is locked and she, Liz, has the only key, so you're mysterious visitor couldn't have escaped that way. I guess I'll have to put it out of my mind, says Vicki--when you were talking to David, you didn't give him any idea of what had happened? Of course not, says Liz, I was most discrete. That's good, says Vicki, because if he had that on his mind, might as well forget about his lessons for today--as it is, we have to make up for one already--excuse me. Of course, says Liz, and Vicki exits. Liz picks up the phone and calls the plant, looking for Roger, who isn't there--if he should come in or call in, tell him to contact me right away, she says--it's quite urgent--thank you. Concerned, she hangs up, hands clasped together.

We see a car parking. Roger gets out and enters Collinwood. He removes his hat and coat, leaving them on the foyer table. Did you get my message? Asks Liz. I got home as early as I could, says Roger. I asked you to call immediately, she says. This is as immediate as I could make it, says Roger, a bit testily--I was already on my way home when I got the message--what in the world was so urgent about it? Why didn't you speak to me before leaving the house this morning? she asks. Why Liz, I didn't think you cared that much, he says sarcastically. Don't be facetious, she says, you know perfectly well what I'm talking about--Vicki make it quite clear. Roger pours a drink. Oh, you mean her nocturnal visitation? asks Roger. This is not time for joking, she says. Did you take it seriously? He asks. Certainly, says Liz, didn't you? I honestly don't know what to believe about Vicki, he says, shaking his head--let's examine the record--first she insists that she was held prisoner in a locked room by a small nine year old boy--then she claims to have seen the ghost of Bill Malloy, of all people--now she says a supernatural creature walks through a locked door of hers and is presumably about to attack her--she's either got a very over active imagination or she's got hold of information that's dangerous for her to have. What sort of information? demands Liz. Roger drinks. That of course you should ask Vicki, not me, he says. What information could it possibly be? she asks him. The only dangerous information I can think of would be some knowledge of Bill Malloy's death. That was ruled an accident, says Liz. Burke Devlin didn't think so, says Roger. I don't care what Burke Devlin thinks, says Liz. From my talks with Vicki, says Roger, I'm sure that she also thinks Malloy was murdered. Where in the world would she get that idea? asks Liz. The same she found out about these ghosts and people walking in prowling at night--her vivid imagination!--she also thinks she has a vital clue as to who murdered him. Matthew enters. Beg your pardon, Mz. Stoddard, he says, I fixed the bolt on Miss winters' door--is there anything else? I don't think so, says Liz, when you looked at the door, were there any signs of it having been forced. No, not any signs, says Matthew. Matthew exits. What does Vicki intend to do, barricade herself in her room forever? asks Roger. The says she feels safer with a bolt inside her door, says Liz. Perhaps that's what we should all do, says Roger--you know, Liz, I think I was right all along--Vicki knows too much for her own good in this house--I think for her ultimate safety she should leave Collinwood--and I'm going to have another talk with her about it. You can't right now, she's not here, says Liz. Where is she off to this time? asks Roger. She didn't say, Liz tells him--she said she had an appointment in town--cab came and got her and she drove off. You don't have any idea who she had this appointment with? asks Roger. No, I haven't, says Liz--why should it concern you? My dear sister, it only concerns me because I'm worried about the welfare of Miss Winters--I think I'll run into town and see if I can find her. Why are you so anxious about where she went? Asks Liz. I told you, I'm afraid something will happen to her, says Roger. Wouldn't it be a little less obvious if you waited until she got back and then asked her? asks Liz.
But Liz--what if she doesn't come back? queries Roger--I'll see you later. Liz, amazed, watches him leave, wondering, as I do, what he means by that.

Blue Whale - Sam is talking at the bar with a couple of other guys when Vicki comes in. It was nice of you to come, he says. Nice of you to ask me, she says. He seats her at a table and offers her a drink. No, I don't think so, thank you, she says. You sure you don't want something, says Sam--coffee or a ginger ale? Vicki accepts the latter. Sam tells the bartender to bring him his usual and Vicki a ginger ale. How are things at Collinwood? smiles Sam. About the same, says Vicki. that's good, he says. When I say about the same, says Vicki, I mean the same sort of strange things keep happening--last night, somebody tried to get into my room. You don't say! says Sam. I'm convinced it's part of the same thing, says Vicki. Part of what thing? asks Sam. Did you give Maggie my message? Asks Vicki. No, says Sam, I haven't seen her since I spoke with you. He lights a cigarette. She'll be awfully worried, says Vicki. She's very worried, he says--that's what I wanted to talk to you about. I thought you wanted to tell me something more about the portrait of Betty Hanscomb, says Vicki. The bartender brings over the drinks. You have every right to get up and walk out of here right now, says Sam--but please don't--there's something I've got to talk to you about, and that was the only excuse I could think of. Vicki shakes her head--then you don't know anymore about B. Hanscomb? She asks. I'll be honest with you, I never even gave it a thought, says Sam (not nice!). Do you remember anything about him? she asks. I never met the gentleman, he says--see, the Collins family and I hardly traveled in the same circle--you see, what I wanted to find out that thing you told Maggie. I don't want to talk about it, says Vicki--I told her something and I'm not at all sure that I was right, so I'd rather wait until I know more about it. She said you had definite proof Malloy was killed, that it wasn't an accident at all, says Sam. that's what I thought, she says, but I've learned something more since then. You mean you were wrong, says Sam. I don't know, says Vicki, but that's all I want to say. Don't you think you've said a little too much to suddenly stop? He asks. I just want to explain it to Maggie, says Vicki. Explain it to me and I'll tell Maggie later, tonight, coaxes Sam. I don't want to go through it all again, says Vicki--please tell Maggie what I told you, forget about our conversation. I'm afraid it's a little too late for that, says Sam. Why--has she told someone? asks Vicki. Only if you consider me someone, says Sam--she said you not only had proof Bill Malloy was killed, says Sam, there was a definite connection between his death and Burke Devlin's accident 10 years ago. That's what I thought, says Vicki. Sam smokes. Listen to me, he says, since Malloy died, there have been all sorts of whispers and unspoken accusations floating around Collinsport--don't you realize that I was under suspicion myself?--now, if you know anything about it that might bring this issue back again, you've got to tell me what it is! I'm sorry, says Vicki, standing. Sam rises, too, and says you can't walk out like that. She looks into his eyes and sits down again. I think you should discuss it with Burke Devlin, suggests Vicki. Burke?--what's he got to do with it--did you tell him the whole thing? asks Sam. Not all of it, no, says Vicki. Please, Sam begs, you've got to tell me what you told Burke--I can't go through this whole thing again! I promised him I wouldn't say anything until he came back from Bangor, says Vicki. When will he be back? asks Sam, agitated. I don't know, but I expect he'll call me, says Vicki. Then you'll tell him the rest, says Sam--how I acted just now--that will fit in beautifully.
The only way to clear this thing up is to bring everything out into the open, says Vicki. At least I tried, says Sam, tamping out his cigarette--I have Maggie's car--can I drive you back to Collinwood? No, thank you, but I think I'd rather walk, she says--good night. She gives him a long look before he leaves. He bids her good night. She exits. He goes to the phone and dials four numbers, looking for Burke at the Inn--but Burke isn't back, and they have no idea at all when he will be. No message, says Sam, and he goes to the bar and quickly downs a shot, like desperately-needed medicine--before leaving.

Vicki stands at a sign that says "Collinsport 2". A car approaches her, heading straight for her. She tries to sidestep, blinking her eyes against the glare of the headlights.
She screams as the car comes right at her, intent on running her down.

Liz sits in the drawing room. Someone frantically pounds at the door, over and over. Liz answers, it's Vicki. What's the matter? asks Liz. Somebody tried to kill me! cries Vicki, I swear, and it wasn't an accident this time! Liz leads her into the drawing room, telling her to calm down. I can't be calm, I don't feel calm, I feel like screaming! Vicki wails. Liz, sitting beside her on the sofa, tells her to go ahead and scream if it will help--suppose you try to tell me what happened. I was walking back from town, says Vicki, and this car was coming toward me, I didn't notice at first, but then it was coming quite fast and the headlights blinded me--there was plenty of room for it to pass, but suddenly I realized it was trying to run me down!
Where was this? asks Liz. Half a mile from here, says Vicki, I ran the rest of the way--who's doing this to me--who wants to kill me? I can't believe anyone would want to kill you, says Liz, did you see what kind of car it was? I couldn't because of the headlights, says Vicki. Do you think I should call the sheriff? Asks Liz. What good would it do?--I can't tell him anything--I can't tell anyone anything, laments Vicki. If you really think you're in danger, says Liz, you shouldn't be walking home alone this time of night--it's too bad roger didn't see you in town, he could have driven you home. He isn't here? Asks Vicki. He drove off more than an hour ago, says Liz. Where did he go? asks Vicki. I don't know, he said he was going to look for you, says Liz. Vicki swallows hard. Maybe he found me, says Vicki. I'm going to get something to quiet you down, says Liz, leaving the room. Vicki picks up the phone and dials the Inn, asking for Burke--he's in this time, and she tells him they have to do something now--when I was coming back from town tonight, a car tried to run me down...no, I didn't...she holds her coat closed as if cold...Mrs. Stoddard is here...no, Roger left about an hour ago...of course in his car!. . .no, I couldn't see it because the headlights almost blinded me--all right--Burke, please hurry. She hangs up, then unbuttons her coat and sits on the sofa. Here, says Liz--take this--I take them frequently, they can't possibly hurt you. (Hmm, sharing prescription drugs, Liz?) She holds out a pill on a spoon and a glass of water. Vicki reaches for the pills, but doesn't take them. You're not afraid of me, are you? asks Liz. I don't want to take anything, says Vicki. I think you'd better, says Liz. Vicki reluctantly takes the pill, swallowing water. Now, says Liz, come upstairs and lie down--I'm sure you'll sleep soundly. Liz, her eyes filled with concern, watches Vicki walk upstairs.

NOTES: So, did Roger attempt to run Vicki down, to shut her up and protect his non-secret? He didn't kill Malloy, so why would he be upset enough to try to kill her? He's trying hard to discredit her, which is more his style. If he casts aspersions on her, making it sound like she's all imagination and no sense, no one will believe her, anyway.

Now she's allowed Liz to give her a sedative, or at least a valium, but Burke is apparently on his way to get her--why would she make herself sleepy at this time? Shouldn't she be awake and waiting for him to rescue her?

Sam, too, is acting oddly--did he also find Malloy's dead body after he'd been killed, as Roger did? Why would innocent men behave so desperately? I also think it was cruel of him to lure Vicki to the bar with his made up story about Hanscomb, knowing how anxious she would be to hear it. Bad Sam!

Love, Robin