Author Topic: OT: Shades of Dark Shadows  (Read 608 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT: Shades of Dark Shadows
« on: August 11, 2014, 03:24:53 AM »
Fans,

Friday afternoon I was able to attend the Boston Comic Con on a day pass. The costume display was phenomenal.  I saw Queen Maleficent, multiple Spidermen (some of them female), Thor and Loki, a number of Death Star troopers, this one inventive lad in a sort of evil scarecrow costume on chrome stilts with ferrules on the bottoms, several very odd people (mostly female, again) in these colored leotards that entirely covered the face, Spy vs. Spy from the old Mad Magazine comics.... I'm sure I'm forgetting many.  A lot of the costumes were for characters I do not know of course.  There  was even a fully operational TARDIS in one corner. 

I wore a Dark Shadows t-shirt and got reactions from several people. This was a total surprise.  I really was not in the mood to attract attention, but a volunteer at the reg desk immediately recognized it and commented upon how cool it was.  (This was one of Julia99's beautiful "Grayson's Legion" shirts.)  The reactions varied throughout the day but were overwhelmingly positive.  Perhaps  the strangest was from  this very friendly dealer from whom I purchased a 1960s copy of MONSTER WORLD.  I'd say he was probably around 32.  He said he and his wife had started watching DS on Netflix.  And he said they were around episode 70.  Since I know way too much about the program I said, "ah!  you just enjoyed the first sighting of Josette's ghost!"  He looked puzzled and said, "Who's Josette?"  Oh dear...

Presumably they may have been multi-tasking while watching the episodes...

Best,  G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Shades of Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »
and by "episode 70" should I assume he means episode 70 of the Barnabas period on not really 1966 episode 70? when does Netflix start it's run of show?

where would one be storywise by that point? late summer of 1967? would that be the "Seaview" period?

anyways one would have to be watching with a blindfold and earplugs not to be FULLY versed in the monumentality of Josette Dupres by this point. maybe because she's not actually a "real" flesh and blood character (yet) it's unclear to a newcomer???

still seems inconceivable. [ghost_blink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Shades of Dark Shadows
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »
I think he meant the ACTUAL episode 70.  But then, I wasn't aware that Netflix was currently carrying the 1966 episodes.  At one time they did have the discs for the Collector's series available.

I was so taken aback that I did not think to try to get more out of him about it.  But I did explain who Josette was.  lol

G.