Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0760  (Read 966 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0760
« on: August 02, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »
Robservations #760

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0760

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
So Jamison just stayed home after running away from school, and Nora wandered back too?  Why?  We learn that Ra Land is up a mountain, sort of like Olympus.  Egypt has no mountains... I think. I have to wonder about 1897 Laura's backstory.  Born in Collinsport like 1967 Laura?  Was she drawn to Alexandria with Quentin tagging along?  Does the Phoenix connect with Egyptian mythology?  Why the pre-burn shortly before the with-the-kids burn, in Phoenix Arizona in 1967, and in Alexandria Egypt in 1896?

Angelique has to be creative in fighting Laura, after some begging from Barnabas, and after her saying she's helpless against fire.  She makes Laura appear to be her "true age", though she's born all over again in each generation (in Collinsport), I think.  She burns, screaming.  The children don't join her.  The voiceover shot of Collinwood is used in the closing credits.

Farewell again for the first time, Laura Whoever Collins.  We hardly knew ye, and still don't.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »
Farewell Diana Millay, in her last appearance on DS.

Angelique (as usual) enjoys her gloating over Laura and tells her to choose her enemies more wisely next time.

Edward finally gets it about Laura when Barn warns him not to have any fires going. When Laura says she's leaving, Edward replies with stiff formality, We'll both be better off. She collapses, and Edward takes her to Jamison's room.

Deprived of her scarab (which we never see again), Laura prays to Ra, but only Edward shows up and refuses to have a fire in the room.

Edward has hidden Nora and Jamison in the East Wing, in a room by themselves. [spoiler](The Book of Leviathan is on a table, unaware of its future glory.)[/spoiler] Jamison is still all for going to Ra Mountain, but Nora still doesn't want to leave Collinwood.

Unfortunately Edward finally yields to Laura's pleas and lights a fire. Once she gains control of it, she vanishes before his eyes as he watches in horror. But Barn pleads with Angelique to help. Confident in her ageless beauty, she prays to her dark powers to make Laura unrecognizable to her children.

Meanwhile, Laura has started a fire in the room where the children are hidden. They are terrified as the flames creep closer and closer until they are surrounded by fire.

In Jamison’s room, Angelique continues relentlessly, Now you are in the presence of your greatest enemy. That enemy is time--all the years and centuries and eras you have lived through. I have summoned that enemy to confront you now, and you will appear as you really are.

Having somehow passed through the flames, Laura comes closer to the children. Run into my arms! she calls to them. her. As she appears, still cloaked and hooded, with her back to us, the children stare at her, horrified. You’re not our mother! they scream as they back away from the woman who has become a stranger to them. Laura’s face is haggard and aged, but she doesn’t realize what has happened until she looks down--at her withered, clawlike hands. The next moment, she screams in despair as a final burst of flames (which bounce up from the bottom of the screen) consumes her utterly (in Diana Millay’s positively last appearance on the show)....

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »
I have often wondered how Laura's plan for the kids played out in the original timeline. Obviously, Jamison survived but is it possible than Laura might have been able to take Nora? The character makes a few appearances after this but does nothing of any major significance.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:13:19 PM »
Good point, Uncle R. Laura may very well have succeeded in taking Nora with her. [spoiler]But now, I suppose, she'll grow up and marry out. Too bad we never learn if Elizabeth and Roger have cousins wandering around somewhere.[/spoiler]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 11:27:28 PM »
Perhaps the Aunt Kathryn mentioned in 1967 was Nora's daughter.

IMHO, the original timeline perhaps had Quentin saving them?

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 06:35:46 AM »
I'm sure it's made clear that both children were saved.
Josette

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:39:06 AM »
I don't know, I think Nora's future in timeline #1 is just not mentioned.  She's not talked about as an ancestor.  It's likely though that she'd have married and lived elsewhere.

What happens if Laura succeeds with getting a child into the fire?  In 1967 it was implied the child just dies.  Ra's expecting the kids this timne, though.  I wonder if succeeding with the kids was going to mean her cycle wouldn't have to be repeated through later generations.  Maybe she has to keep going through it lifetime after lifetime, until she gets it "right".  If so though, and just Nora was enough, we wouldn't have had 1967 Laura's (re-)appearance.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »
It was mentioned that in 1867, Laura Radcliffe took her son, David Radcliffe, into the fire.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »
*shiver*, Joey!

Thanks for the reminder of Aunt Kathryn. I think Carolyn went to visit her in Boston, right? "Aunt" would have been a courtesy title, since Kathryn would be the first cousin of Elizabeth and Roger.