Author Topic: Mitch vs. Anthony  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch vs. Anthony
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2002, 10:49:02 PM »
I always think Anthony George had a bit of a raw deal -- face it, Burke Devlin was such a pale version of the embittered, calculating original by the time Barnabas arrived -- character-wise George inherited a much weaker character.

I agree with the comments on 1795 -- Mitch Ryan was probably much too contemporary in both his acting style and physical appearance to have meshed well in that particular time period.

Interesting insights, Stuart.  After having grown comfortable with the rebellious character Ryan created during 1966-67, I can't imagine him trapped in ruffled costumes and 18th century formalities ("Formalities, shmormalities!" I can almost hear him barking, as he trips over his costume).  

George, who seemed to revel in period formalities, seemed better suited to be Jeremiah.  There might have been possibliities for Ryan, however, had he been given a rebellious character to play in 1795 -- or at least a loud, angry one.  Peter Bradford, maybe??  But then poor Vicki would be SO confused ... telling Bradford that he had been flying in a big silverbird over that city in Brazil.  [hdscrt]

Anyway, had Ryan played Jeremiah, I probably would have felt worse knowing that his Jeremiah became reduced to that pitiful looking Bandage Man.    [crazd]

Ben

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2002, 03:09:16 AM »
Maybe Mitch Ryan could of played Nathan Forbes in 1795.  I don't think the Jeremiah role would of suited him.  Anthony George got a nice role later on One Life to Live after Jeremiah was killed off.  I am glad Mitch Ryan is working again too.  When I watched these episodes I liked Mitch Ryan better as Burke Devlin.  I especially liked the scenes between MR and JF, they were both good in those scenes.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2002, 06:43:20 AM »
Sticking to the origianl subject, I'm gonna go with Mitch Ryan.  AG must have said, "If its what you want, Vicki, its what i want!" close to a dozen times.  And I really thought he showed promise after his first scene, oh well.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2002, 06:08:34 PM »
In retrospect, I almost wish that they'd has Burke leave Collinsport after Roger's confession, even though I liked Mitch Ryan's performance.  It's just that the Roger storyline was Burke's whole raison d'etre -- once it was over, he simply had nowhere to go and no real drive.

It might have been interesting seeing Burke trying to work out where the confession left him personally -- especially since it was that injustice that apparently motivated his business successes, etc -- but I guess that was maybe a bit too introspective and abstract for "Dark Shadows", especially once the ghost train had begun to trundle into view ;)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2002, 10:00:58 PM »
In retrospect, I almost wish that they'd has Burke leave Collinsport after Roger's confession, even though I liked Mitch Ryan's performance.  It's just that the Roger storyline was Burke's whole raison d'etre -- once it was over, he simply had nowhere to go and no real drive.

It might have been interesting seeing Burke trying to work out where the confession left him personally -- especially since it was that injustice that apparently motivated his business successes, etc -- but I guess that was maybe a bit too introspective and abstract for "Dark Shadows", especially once the ghost train had begun to trundle into view ;)

Stuart, I tend to agree with your thoughts about the Devlin character. With the advent of the supernatural, there should have been a swan song.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 09:49:40 PM »
I have to go with the majority that says Mitchell Ryan the better Burke, and Anthony George the only one who could have pulled off playing Jeremiah.

I just can't see Mitch in 18th century clothings....frankly I don't want to!

I felt Anthony made Burke a bit too bossy and unreasonable at times (his Burke said and did things I couldn't imagine Mitch as Burke would have done) whereas the role of Jeremiah fit him like a glove....he made Jeremiah
a classy, reasonable, likable gentleman.

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 02:55:00 AM »
I am new to this board.  I have seen Anthony George on all three soaps that he did as well as his nighttime tv performances.  I agree that Mitch Ryan was the better Burke.  I do not think Mitch would have made a good Jeremiah.  Most everyone has commented on Tony's "softer" interpretation of Burke.  When Tony joined Search for Tomorrow, he portrayed Dr. Tony Vincente much like Mitch Ryan played Burke, "rough around the edges" so to speak.  Tony Vincente was softened up as time went on, just to move the character's romance with Jo along.
His One Life To Live work as Dr. Will Vernon was similar to his later portrayal on Search.  Will Vernon was the psychiatrist on OLTL and he handed out his fair share of sedatives (just like Julia on DS!).  I think that Tony preferred creating a role as to taking one over as he did on DS and OLTL.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »
I haven't seen all of Mitchell Ryan's Burke, but I think he was written as a different character from Anthony George's Burke,   I can't blame Anthony George for what the writers did.  There's a scene somewhere in the first six months in which Burke, talking to Vicky, thinks about what his life would be like - how much better it would be - if he didn't have the need for vengeance.  I've seen the scene only once, several months ago, so I may have gotten the details wrong.  But it made Burke interesting, and gave him possibilities.  Once the vengeance issue was resolved, however, Burke did not take up skydiving or anything; he just obsessed over Vicky.  Maybe there's a certain consistency there - Burke being serially obsessive - but I think the original Burke was better than that.

I used to think that Mitchell Ryan would have been a fish out of water in 1795, but then I watched the revival series, and saw Sheriff Patterson become Andre Dupres.  If that casting could work, then anything can.

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 04:32:19 PM »
I think Mitch Ryan's acting is being sold short.
Many "tough guy" actors have played parts in period
costume and pulled it off.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »
I've got to go with Mitch Ryan here.  As much as I like Anthony George, Mitch had this dangerous edge to him which I really liked.  Anthony George just didn't have that same edge.  Storyline-wise it sort of works because Burke eventually didn't have a reason to be so dangerous anymore.  However, the guy did a lot of time in prison and was carrying this obsessive vendetta for years.  Anthony George didn't play that so much.  I think Anthony George was perhaps innately  sensitive as an actor, and thus this quality worked perfectly for the character of Jeremiah.     
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com