Author Topic: What Would A Barnabas Sequel To HoDS Have Been Like?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
What Would A Barnabas Sequel To HoDS Have Been Like?
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »
Now, somewhat on the same topic, here's a question thrown out to our fantastic general audience.  Dan Curtis originally wanted to do a "direct" sequel to HoDS where Barnabas returns but the concept was ended when Mr. Frid refused to reprise the role.  If it had gone forward, what would've happened?  Most of the original cast had been offed.  All that was left of the major characters was Elizabeth, David, Maggie, Jeff and Todd.  Oh, and Mrs. Johnson.  There wasn't much left to build on.

In theory, Barnabas and any or all of the other vampires could have been resurrected by removing the stake from their hearts. Barnabas had limited success in trying to control Carolyn. Would he have been able to control her, Roger and Stokes? Stokes would have made a particularly cunning adversary.

Willie and Julia certainly appear to be really and sincerely dead.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: What Would A Barnabas Sequel To HoDS Have Been Like?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 03:27:32 AM »
I know I read somewhere that DC was planning to do a bigscreen version of 1795 as the sequel to hoDS.  How it would have played out is anybody's guess.  Presumably cast members such as Thayer, Karlen, Grayson et al whose characters had been killed off in hoDS would have portrayed some of the 18th century personnel.  The original scenario could have been rewritten to provide new roles for some such as Karlen.

G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »
I am looking at Dark Shadows Year One from Dyanmite Comics as the prequel to HODS, even though it's probably too long to have been a movie.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
interesting. I've never heard about the proposed "big screen" version of 1795...

since Victoria was pivotal to that storyline it would have had to be completely restructured if they were not going to try and get Alexandra back or recast the role for the film.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:30:01 PM »
I'm thinking, Michael, if they had made it, it would've been the original, non-time-travel story sans Vicki.  Phyllis Wickes would have remained the original governess but I wonder if they also would've "stretched" it out with the witchcraft trial and all that, instead ending it with Barnabas being permanently entombed by Joshua.

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 04:40:17 PM »
Back in 1970 (post HODS and prior to any cancellation rumors), there was an interview in Grayson Hall's fanzine that a second film would either be a 1795 version or a Quentin story. I got the impression that the 1795 version would have recapped the Barnabas origin story. It would have been interesting to see what impact that would have had on the daily show.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:49:59 PM »
if they had made it, it would've been the original, non-time-travel story sans Vicki.

The likely scenario would have probably been the original timeline. Though it might have been an interesting twist if, say, somehow Maggie (there apparently being no Vicki in the hoDS universe) was somehow transported to the past and she was able to prevent Barnabas from being cursed, thereby undoing all the events of hoDS. Though I suppose that wouldn't have been what DC would have wanted because if he did a Barnabas sequel, he probably would have wanted to try to outdo the vampire blood and gore of hoDS, sacrificing even more character moments in the process.  [ghost_rolleyes]  Plus, if Frid would have been willing to continue to play Barnabas, and if DC would have been willing to do more than two DS films, in all likelihood MGM and DC would have wanted to be able to feature vampire Barnabas in as many sequels as possible.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:39:19 PM »
I supposed they could have told the 1795 story in a more straightforward, linear way without Vicki or anybody else traveling back in time from 1970/1 to "witness" it or to try and change it's outcome. it could have been more of a traditional "prequel" without any scenes set in "the present".

in terms of NODS once it became clear that Frid was not onboard and Selby would be heading up the cast I wonder why they decided to go with a totally new story outside of established series' canon rather that some version of the "werewolf" story with which Quentin had become so strongly associated???

it should be noted that by the time a more traditional "sequel" to HODS could be filmed KLS would also have been departed from the scene (she left the company shortly after the HODS filming and did not appear in NODS). so any story set in 1795 would have meant a recast for Josette???

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »
Back in 1970 (post HODS and prior to any cancellation rumors), there was an interview in Grayson Hall's fanzine that a second film would either be a 1795 version or a Quentin story. I got the impression that the 1795 version would have recapped the Barnabas origin story. It would have been interesting to see what impact that would have had on the daily show.

by the time such a film could be produced and released the daily show would have already left the air. so it really wouldn't have made a difference.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:10:43 PM »
it should be noted that by the time a more traditional "sequel" to HODS could be filmed KLS would also have been departed from the scene (she left the company shortly after the HODS filming and did not appear in NODS). so any story set in 1795 would have meant a recast for Josette???

Perhaps. Though perhaps KLS would have returned to do another DS feature if the script was right and featured Josette/Maggie - especially considering the DS features were shot in such a short period of time. But, of course, we'll never know...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 09:16:15 PM »
perhaps...

but since KLS was off-contract and determined to move to Paris with her fiancé it's interesting to ponder a recast for such a prominent figure as Josette.

was Virginia Vestoff on-contract? would that have been a possibility?

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 11:19:05 PM »
in terms of NODS once it became clear that Frid was not onboard and Selby would be heading up the cast I wonder why they decided to go with a totally new story outside of established series' canon rather that some version of the "werewolf" story with which Quentin had become so strongly associated???

I think that DS had been moving much more into the supernatural/fantastic/psychological direction, and away from the classic monster mode (vampires, werewolves, Frankensteinian creatures), by this time.  The story in NODS seems to be much more in line with the kind of stories that DS had been doing during its last year or so.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 11:35:53 PM »
If they were going to recast Josette, I'd think Kate Jackson would have worked as well as anyone. I'd rather have seen her than a newbie. Joanna Going would have been 8 at the time LOL.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 11:44:29 PM »
I think that DS had been moving much more into the supernatural/fantastic/psychological direction, and away from the classic monster mode (vampires, werewolves, Frankensteinian creatures), by this time.  The story in NODS seems to be much more in line with the kind of stories that DS had been doing during its last year or so.

the sensibility and tone of NoDS was much more "adult" than some of the earlier stories on the series.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 11:53:58 PM »
but since KLS was off-contract and determined to move to Paris with her fiancé it's interesting to ponder a recast for such a prominent figure as Josette.

KLS worked on DS without a contract for at least the entire last year she was on the show (I forget the exact point she's said her contract ran out). But your point is well taken about her move to Europe.