Author Topic: #1244/1245: Robservations 01/21/04: The End!  (Read 1396 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1244/1245: Robservations 01/21/04: The End!
« on: January 07, 2004, 09:53:19 PM »
1244 -
"You tricked me, Morgan!" accuses Catherine--"Just as you did Bramwell!"  I plead guilty, my dear, on both counts, boasts Morgan.  Bramwell, down in the file room, overhears and heads back upstairs.  You listen to me, Morgan! cries Catherine--I would rather die with Bramwell than live with you one more day!  Then you have your wish, don't you? asks Morgan smugly--goodbye, Catherine--he walks away, smiling.  Catherine sinks against the door, crying.   Bramwell comes out.  She runs into his arms--thank God you're alive!
How did you get in this room? he asks.  Morgan pretended to come to the room to let you out, then locked me in, she explains.  You can's stay here, protests Bramwell, we've got to find a way to get you out!  She caresses his face--I don't care anymore, she says, I want to stay with you.  But the child you're carrying, he reminds her, must live!  There's no future for me or the child, she says, not without you.  But we've got to find a way to get you out of here, he insists, kissing her hard.  She responds eagerly.

9 PM - Collinwood - Kendrick comes downstairs, his expression dispirited  He sits beside Julia in the drawing room--time is creeping by, he complains--there's no change in Melanie.  If there is to be a change, says Julia, it won't happen until tomorrow morning.  Kendrick, exhausted, says, I feel like tomorrow morning is a year away--if only I'd gone into that room myself.  Don't torture yourself, advises Julia--it isn't your fault.  I just feel so useless, says Kendrick--I wanted to fight this thing, and now someone else is doing it for me.  It doesn't matter who went into the room, says Julia--the curse will never end.  Kendrick leaps from his seat, furious--stop talking that way! he cries through gritted teeth.  It's been going on for 160 years, she says, it will continue until there is not one Collins left alive.  So all you can do is stand here and feel defeated! he shouts.
Don't you think I'd like to help Bramwell? she asks--kill the ghost of Brutus?--I don't know how to!  Kendrick thinks this over--what about asking Carrie Stokes here?--hold a seance--maybe we could make Brutus' ghost appear.  No, she says, we have tried that and it brought us more trouble--there isn't anything you can think of that we haven't tried.  Morgan enters--Julia is right, Kendrick, he says--the curse is more powerful than all of us put together.  I might have been able to prove otherwise if you hadn't interfered! says Kendrick angrily.  I should think you'd be grateful to me! cries Morgan--after all, I saved your life!  I don't remembering asking you to! shouts Kendrick back.  Stop arguing, says Julia--Morgan, did you talk to Catherine?  Yes, I did, he says.  How is she? asks Julia.  She's fine, I assume, he says.  What do you mean, you assume? asks Julia.  Catherine is gone, he says--she's left Collinwood forever.  Kendrick and Julia look at him--huh?

Morgan smiles.  What do you mean, she's gone forever? asks Julia.  We discussed our marital differences, he says--calmly and in an adult fashion--I made my decision and she made hers--she decided to leave.  Just like that, without saying goodbye to any of us? asks Julia.  Catherine didn't say goodbye to any of you? asks Morgan, feigning surprise--that's not like her.  Morgan, I want to speak to you alone, she says--Kendrick, excuse us for a moment.  I'm a member of the family and have every right to stay, insists Kendrick.  I'm sorry, says Julia, it's important I talk to Morgan alone.  Kendrick nods--very well, he says, and leaves.  Julia closes the double doors.  I wasn't aware that we had anything to discuss, says Morgan.  "Catherine is going to have Bramwell's child, isn't she?" asks Julia--"You don't even have to answer, your reaction is enough."  Now you know the reason for the fainting spells!" says Morgan furiously.  I somehow knew they were more than just fainting spells, says Julia, but I never dreamed anything like this--"I'm terribly sorry, Morgan."  You needn't be, he says, I will survive.  How did you find out? she asks.  I followed Catherine last night, he says--instead of going to the Old House, she went to the gazebo with him--strangely enough, that's not what upset me--you see, they were talking about the child--THEIR child!  You don't have to talk about it anymore if you don't want to, says Julia.  I knew then and there what I had to do, he says, grinning--I wanted my revenge in the form of poetic justice.  And that's why you tricked Bramwell into going into the locked room, she says.  Yes, he admits.  It's ironic, isn't it? she says--it's exactly the way the curse started originally, when Brutus did it--the wife of a Collins' lover--was locked into that room, and then...Morgan!  He smiles.  Morgan, you lied!--you lied when you said Catherine had gone, says Julia, horrified--she hasn't gone at all!--you've done exactly what Brutus did--you locked her in that room with Bramwell.  Morgan smiles triumphantly.

Bramwell examine the doors--I'm going to try to break it down, he insists.  It's no use, says Catherine tiredly, leaning against one of the bedposts--we're here at least until morning, if not longer.  No, he says, our child must live!  She shakes her head--I suddenly feel so tired.  Sit down, my darling, he urges, helping her to a chair--sit over here--I'll try the door.  He picks up a wooden chair and tosses it at the door; it bounces back at him, catching him in the hand (that musta hurt!)  No, he says, then takes a letter opener and tries to break the lock.  When that fails, he tosses it to the floor, vowing in a ragged voice, I'll get you out of here!  The wind blows, the lights flicker.  What's happening? asks Bramwell--something's happening--Catherine, are you all right?  He goes to check her--thank heaven you're all right.  Why do you keep calling me Catherine? she demands--my name is Amanda!  Bramwell stares at her in dismay, shaking his head.

Catherine, he's trying to possess you! warns Bramwell.  There is nothing anyone can do, she says.  Yes there is, he insists--you can fight--you must fight!  No, she says, there is only one way for us to have peace.  You have the willpower! he says urgently.  No, Brutus will never set us free, you know that! she says.  Bramwell, his face contorted, says, I will not believe that, nor must you.  First you must kill me, she says, then yourself.  No, Catherine, he insists.  Then if you won't do it, I shall! she declares.  She finds a knife sitting on top of a small, cloth-wrapped altar.  That knife wasn't here before! says Bramwell--where did it come from?  Catherine picks it up and lifts it high, about to plunge it into her breast.
The chandelier above their heads sways.  Bramwell grabs Catherine's wrist and stops her.  No, I must die! she screams, fighting him.  No, you must live, Catherine! insists Bramwell, gripping her wrist and forcing her to drop the knife.  He grabs her arms and shouts, "You are not Amanda!  You are Catherine, my Catherine!"  This breaks the spell.  She comes back to herself and hugs him--"Bramwell!"  The chandelier sways.  You will not have her, Brutus! Bramwell shouts--she is mine and you will not take her from me!  They stand together, tightly, more than ready to fight, together, the evil forces around them.

Morgan, sitting before the fireplace, says, Julia, it makes no difference where Catherine has gone--she is gone and that's all there is to that.  You have locked her in the room--admit it, demands Julia.  I will admit nothing, he says--and I'd rather not talk on this subject, if you don't mind.  Morgan, be reasonable, pleads Julia--you were in love with her once, that must mean something to you.  It means absolutely nothing! he retorts--as far as I'm concerned, Catherine Harridge does not exist!  You have lost your mind completely! she cries.  Is that all you have to say? he asks coldly, about to walk away.  Please, she begs, let me have the key, let me go upstairs and unlock the room.  I do not have the key, he says, and if I did, I would not give it to you--I am going out for a stroll--good night!  Come back! she calls--but he does not.  Kendrick runs in from the kitchen area--what happened? he asks.  Something terrible, she says--we've got to find the key to that room--I'm certain that Morgan has locked Catherine in there with Bramwell --come!--they both run upstairs.

The chandelier is still swaying above their heads as Bramwell pleads with Catherine, look at me --you know who you are?--you are NOT Amanda.  Yes, she assures him, with a wan smile, I know--just tell me what happened, that's all.  You let your guard down, he says--you allowed the spirit of Brutus to enter your mind.  But I didn't feel anything, she says, only drowsy.  You can't afford to do that, he says, anymore than I can--we must exert every bit of willpower we have.  She goes into his arms--I'm so frightened! she says.  Whatever happens tonight, he cautions, you must remain Catherine and I will remain Bramwell!  Yes, she agrees.  Listen to me, he says, we both have the strength to make it through the night.  The wind blows through the room, the lights flicker, the chandelier sways.  Stay where you are, Catherine, Bramwell orders, holding her close.  What's happening? she asks, terrified.  He's here with us, says Bramwell--Brutus, show your face to me!--show yourself--I challenge you to fight me, but I beseech you, leave Catherine alone!  Why is it so cold? asks Catherine, shivering.  You must show yourself! orders Bramwell, who suddenly grabs his throat as if fending off throttling hands.  What is it? cries Catherine.  He's choking me! yells Bramwell, I can't breathe!--I can't breathe!
Fight him, Bramwell, she cries, fight him!

Bramwell, gasping, "NO!", continues to grapple with Brutus' ghost, who is choking the life from him.  Catherine watches in horror.  Suddenly, it's over.  Are you all right? she asks, holding onto his arm, clinging to him.  Yes, I am now, he assures her, his voice rough--I must heed my own advice, I wasn't ready for that--he will try once more before this night's over.

Kendrick and Julia search Morgan's bedroom, trying to find the key to the locked door.  Kendrick complains, there are too many rooms in this house, we'll never find it--he could have hidden it anywhere, might still have it on him.  She agrees--we don't have a chance unless Morgan changes his mind and tells us where it is.  "Which Morgan is not going to do!" he thunders from the doorway--how dare you come in and search this room!  You gave us no choice, says Julia.  Get out of here, both of you! he cries.  No, she says, I'm very glad we came in here, because now I know that my suspicions are justified.  What are you talking about? he asks.  Catherine could have conceivably have left without saying goodbye to anyone, she says, but she would not leave without her clothing and her jewelry--they are still here!  Morgan's face twitches--so they are, he says, smiling, pleased. You have locked her in the room, haven't you? asks Julia.  Morgan lets loose with a gale of insane laughter.  What are you laughing about? demands Kendrick.  Your concern about our little domestic triangle! chuckles Morgan--yes, I locked her in the room, Julia --and with her lover--and they just may stay there beyond the morning--I haven't quite made up my mind yet.  Julia shakes her head--no, she says, you know that door must be opened tomorrow morning.  I know no such thing, he says--you see, there are no more rules anymore--I have taken over at last--and what a pleasant sensation it is not to be at the mercy of anything or anyone--to be my own master!--the master of Collinwood.  You've lost your mind! declares Julia.  Quite the contrary, says Morgan--I have regained my senses
--I am the master of Collinwood--I have such sympathy for Brutus--Kendrick listens, disturbed--how misunderstood he was--but Brutus got his revenge, didn't he?--oh, yes, and I'm getting mine--he laughs again, crazed, out of control laughter.

Quarter to six - Kendrick and Julia wait in the drawing room.  Fifteen more minutes, he says.  I know, she says, her hands in a gesture of prayer.  If the curse isn't over, I'll have lost Melanie forever, he says--I don't think I'll be able to bear it.  We'll know very soon, she assures him.  He turns to look into the fire.  Morgan enters.  Excuse me, he says, I thought you'd like to know I'm going to open the room.  I knew you would see it that way, says Julia, relieved.  I'm going there now, says Morgan.  We'll come with you, she says.  NO! insists Morgan--you and Kendrick are going to stay here--I am going there alone.  But why? asks Julia.  This is my moment, he says, and I want it for myself.  I have as much right to be there as you do! Kendrick angrily reminds him.  Your only concern at this moment is Melanie, says Morgan--I think you should worry about...  "I am coming with you!" insists Kendrick.  Very well, says Morgan, I'm not--you see, I'm the only one who knows where the key is--now do I go alone, or don't I?  Let him go alone, Julia advises Kendrick.  All right, go, says Kendrick, but I'll be waiting right here.  There's also something else I'd like to warn you, says Morgan--if I'm followed, there may be trouble.  Laughing, smacking one hand into the other, Morgan leaves.  What are we going to do? asks Kendrick.  I don't know, she admits--in his present state, he frightens me!

Locked room - Morgan, sweating profusely, enters the corridor.  "There's no way I can lose this time, Bramwell," says Morgan--"if it's either death or insanity, I will have won--and if somehow you have defied all the odds that are still against you, then I will have to use this"
--he holds up the gun and bends to unlock the door.

NOTES:  Morgan's stint in the room has apparently unhinged his mind--or is it that, learning his beloved, pregnant-by-Bramwell Catherine doesn't really love him, his mind simply couldn't handle the shock?  Whichever way it was, he is clearly insane, and his actions here prove it.  That he could lock Catherine in the room is unthinkable, but to shoot dead a pregnant woman is only the act of a man who has lost his mind completely.  This episode featured some wonderful acting on Keith's Prentice's part, too.  He really improved with time in this storyline.

Where is Flora during all of this?  We know why Selby is absent, but Flora seems to have no knowledge of any of this, which, given that she is mistress of Collinwood, seems wrong.  And doesn't Josette wonder where her son is?  He disappeared shortly after Daphne's funeral.  Come to think of it, it was also odd that Josette wasn't present at Daphne's funeral.

It comes down to this, folks, the second to last episode of DARK SHADOWS.  Will Morgan get his revenge, as Brutus did?  Or will Catherine and Bramwell be luckier than James and Amanda were?

1245 - Here we are. . .the very last episode of DARK SHADOWS, originally shown April 2, 1971:

Having determined that he will kill Bramwell and Catherine if they survived the room, Morgan enters and is met by the ghost of Brutus Collins, who says, "You shall not have them! They are mine!"
In the secret file room, Bramwell rouses Catherine, who is sitting in a chair--it's almost dawn, he says.  They hug.  Oh my darling! she exclaims. Is our torment over? he wonders--have we ended it?  I hardly dare hope, she says.  Darling, he says.  They cling to each other.  I'm afraid Brutus will try something else, she says.  We have been defeating him all night--together, Bramwell reminds her--do you doubt we are meant for each other?--I have money now--we can leave, go away together--we won't harm anyone--it would be worse for Morgan if you stayed and played out the mockery of your marriage.  She reaches out to tenderly touch his face.  Brutus appears.  "PLANS," he says contemptuously--"Amanda!--come to me," he demands.  Bramwell tightens his grip on Catherine and faces Brutus.  "She is not Amanda!" cries Bramwell.  "Come to me!" bids Brutus again.  No, insists Bramwell, you've destroyed too often, had too many victims, it is over for you, Brutus!"  Catherine eyes Brutus with something resembling lust.  Brutus continues to entreat, "Come to me, forgive me, that is all I want, your forgiveness, Amanda!"  "Yes, Catherine says, stepping forward eagerly.  No, insists Bramwell, holding her pressed against him--you will not go to him!  "Do you still love me, Brutus?" she asks.  I have never stopped, he says--come to me--we shall share eternity!
She struggles in Bramwell's grasp--"Let me go to Brutus!"  Try and fight him! begs Bramwell, who starts to choke.  The ghost laughs--"He must die!" Brutus intones.  Alarmed, Catherine is shaken from her entranced state.  "No, he must not die!" she cries--"Fight him, Bramwell, fight him!"  Come...come! orders Brutus.  Bramwell battles the strangulation as Catherine holds onto him.  The rooster crows.  Brutus continues ordering "Amanda", come to me!  However, it's dawn!  As Bramwell shakes off the throttling hold, Catherine says, "No, Brutus, I will NEVER come to you.  We will bury these bodies in holy ground, and Amanda will at last have peace.  Go, Brutus, go from this house and never return again.  It is DONE, Brutus!"  "You refuse me?", he asks, surprised.  I will never come to you! she vows.  "You have won--won!" he concedes, and fades away.
Bramwell is able to breathe.  The curse is over, Catherine cries triumphantly, holding onto him frantically.  Yes, agrees Bramwell joyously--defeated by the power of our love--we must be meant for each other.  Catherine agrees--I will leave with you today.  He smiles joyously and embraces her--"Darling!  At last!" he says ecstatically--"At last!"   Morgan will never let us go, Catherine says soberly.  He must, insists Bramwell.  They head out to the main room. Hurry, cries Catherine, I'm sure I'm right, he'll never let us go free!--he doesn't want us to be happy.  Morgan appears from the shadows, holding his pistol on them.  "You are right, Catherine," he agrees-- "So, Bramwell, you have ended the curse.  And I guess you want some sort of gratitude from everyone.  Well, you're not going to get it--or HER!"
He fires a bullet into Bramwell's shoulder.  "BRAMWELL!" shrieks Catherine, as her lover falls.  

Catherine clutches the wounded Bramwell in her arms.  Get away from him! screams Morgan.  "If you kill him, you're going to have to kill me first!" she insists.  "Do you love him that much?" asks Morgan.  "Yes", she says--"oh, Morgan, don't make me tell you like this!"  Morgan pulls Catherine away from Bramwell and aims at him again.  Instead of trying to deflect the bullet and save Bramwell, Catherine turns her head away.  Fortunately, Kendrick and Julia race in before Morgan fires.  No! says Julia.  Give me the gun, orders Kendrick.  "You cannot end what has already been started," says Morgan, holding Catherine tightly by his side--"Get away from that door--she will be first!"  He forces Catherine out of the room at gunpoint and propels her down the hall.  Kendrick and Julia, powerless, watch them go, then Kendrick follows, running.  Bramwell, clutching his wounded shoulder, insists, I am going after them!  Although she protests his intended action, Julia helps Bramwell to his feet.  Kendrick returns--they turned a corner, he says--when I got there, they were gone.  There's a secret passage at the end of the hall, says Bramwell.  Julia tries to stop him from going, but he leaves anyway.  Before Kendrick follows, he asks Julia, "Check on Melanie and see how she is now. . .if the curse is ended, and she is all right."  We get a glimpse of the lottery room, now empty.

Julia, says Flora, I should be looking for Morgan; perhaps I could talk to him.  We must check on Melanie, says Julia--if she's all right, the curse will be over.  I only hope she is, says Flora fervently.  They enter the tower room and look down on Melanie's placidly sleeping face.

Melanie, Flora calls.  Her daughter awakens and looks at her.  "Mama?" she says--"Has something happened to Kendrick?"
Flora hugs her gratefully--you're all right!  Why are you here? wonders Melanie--I had another one of my attacks, didn't I?  But you're well now, says Flora.  You didn't hurt anyone, Julia assures her.  Where is Kendrick? asks Melanie--why isn't he here?  He'll be with you soon, darling, promises Flora.  You sure? asks Melanie, getting out of bed--Julia, you were so right--I never should have married him, I knew my attacks would go on and on, it isn't fair, I must talk with him, the marriage can be annulled.  There is no need for that, says Flora joyously--the curse is over!  Yes it is, says Julia--you are the proof of that.  Over? asks Melanie in disbelief.  Catherine and Bramwell spent the night in the room, says Flora.  And they're all right? asks Melanie eagerly.  Flora doesn't reply, but looks to Julia, who says evasively, they left the room sane.  Then I will never, never have another attack? asks Melanie.  No, says Flora, smiling.  Does Kendrick know that? asks Melanie.  Yes, replies Julia.  Why isn't he here? asks Melanie--he's left me, hasn't he?--that's what you aren't telling me?  No, says Flora.  Julia leaves to go get Kendrick.  I don't understand, says Melanie--isn't he happy for me, for us?  He will be when he sees you as you are now, Flora assures her--I'm sorry Justin didn't get a chance to see the curse come to an end--he would have been all right, too, and everything would have been different.  Everything will be different, says Melanie.  Yes, but it will never be the same, says Flora sadly--"without Justin, without Gabriel, and with Morgan as he is.  Morgan? asks Melanie.  "And I, continues Flora, will go on remembering the rest of my life and wishing things were different.  Brutus Collins had his curious revenge."  Tell me everything that has happened, says Melanie.

Julia comes down to the drawing room and sees the secret panel opening.  Morgan, she says fearfully, but it's Kendrick who emerges.  Melanie? he asks.  Your wife is all right, she says.  They hug, thrilled.  (a nice scene; the prickly Julia and Kendrick made friends after all)  I heard Catherine and Morgan's voices in the passageway, says Kendrick, but lost them--Bramwell is searching upstairs--I want to see Melanie for a moment.  Yes, she says, then you can search again afterwards.  He kisses her cheek and leaves.

Bramwell finds Catherine's dropped handkerchief in a corridor and hurries on.

Morgan's madness is real, Melanie realizes--not the result of the curse.  I don't know how I feel about Catherine, admits Flora.  I'm sure Catherine never intended to hurt Morgan, declares Melanie.  Kendrick bursts in.  He and Melanie enthusiastically embrace and kiss.  My Melanie, he croons.  Yes, she says, and they enthusiastically embrace and kiss.  In one of the sweetest moments of the entire series, he finds himself with a mouthful of her hair; he takes it out and kisses those golden strands, too.  I can't stay long, he says, I must resume the search for Morgan.  We will be happy, Melanie says, kissing him over and over--be careful--nothing must happen to you.  Nothing will, Kendrick assures her.  They kiss fervently.

Morgan drags the struggling, hysterical Catherine out on the parapet.  He drags her to the railing.  Cruelly, he says, "Admire the view, Catherine."  "Please," she begs.  "What?" he asks--"Let you be with your lover?  Even I'm not that generous.  He will find us here, Catherine, I'm going to help him find us!"  He opens the door--Bramwell! he screams.  Don't come up! Catherine shrieks out.  Morgan grips Catherine and tries to force her to look down.  "Imagine yourself falling, falling down, down, hearing yourself SCREAM all the way down until you hit the bottom and the hard ground below!  Listen, Catherine, your lover is coming, you can't stop him now."  Bramwell, don't come up! yells Catherine. He does, naturally, and screams, "NO!" when he realizes what Morgan has planned for his lover and child.  "Bramwell, you have come to see Catherine die!" Morgan cries, and starts to force Catherine over the railing.
NO! moans Bramwell.

Morgan, let me take Catherine's place, begs Bramwell.  "So she can bear your child?" demands Morgan contemptuously.  "You loved her once, I would die for her," Bramwell cries.  "Oh, how gallant, Bramwell, isn't he gallant, Catherine?" asks Morgan sarcastically, holding the gun to Catherine's face--"No, she's going to die first, and you are going to watch--then you are going to die."  Desperately, Bramwell pleads with Morgan: "If we have turned you into the person that you are now, I'm sorry!  We've all made many mistakes, we cannot make anymore, we must go in peace!  Morgan!  You will forget us quicker than you will forget what you're planning to do here now!"  "Don't tell me what I can forget or remember!" shrieks Morgan--"This is the way it's got to be!"  He is about to shove Catherine over the railing when Kendrick calls, "MORGAN!", diverting his attention away from Catherine.  As Kendrick and Morgan struggle, Bramwell joins the fray.  The railing suddenly breaks; Morgan, arms flailing, falls to his death.
(And, unintended, I'm sure, Kendrick nearly falls after him, doing a little dance to prevent it.)  Catherine, Bramwell and Kendrick watch Morgan's body fall inexorably to the ground, then go back inside.  We see the broken pieces of the parapet.

Drawing room - Flora (once again dressed in black, as is Julia) cries over the death of yet another son (oh, Quentin, come home now)!  There was so little happiness left for Morgan, points out Julia.  I know, says Flora--but it's very hard not to blame Catherine and Bramwell.  They broke the curse and we should be grateful to them, says Julia--we must make arrangements for Morgan's funeral.  The two women rise and, as they have done so many times before, go to do what they must.

Melanie, packing in her room, says, Kendrick, I don't think we should leave yet.  What good would it do for us to stay? asks Kendrick.  I could be of some comfort to Flora, says Melanie.  Flora has Julia, Kendrick says, taking her hands in his--we've waited so long for our lives to get started--I feel both of them will understand--we can leave tonight, stop off at the Old House to see Josette.  Kendrick, I want to as much as you want me to, she says.  Then say yes, he says.  She agrees; they kiss.  I will go to town to get my horse from the livery stable, he says--I'll be back within the hour--can you be ready?  Melanie kisses his hand--do you have any idea how much you have given me?--Bramwell once begged me to leave this house--I couldn't, I was terrified by his just mentioning it--now I'm not frightened, because I'm with you.  They kiss, long and hard.

Catherine and Bramwell share a passionate kiss, too, but Catherine's feelings are a lot more mixed.  "See, my darling," he says, "everything's going to be all right."  I feel responsible for Morgan's death and all the unhappiness I caused when I married him, admits Catherine--do you know how I feel when I look at Flora, and at Julia?  Darling, he says.  She draws away from his embrace--I feel guilty when you call me that, she says.  But you are my darling, he reminds her, drawing her close again.  Yes, she says, kissing his hand, holding it pressed to her face.  You always will be, he says--we will leave within the week--we will forget everything that happened here.  I can never forget, she vows--I'll remember now that I must follow my heart, not my head--I'll never make that mistake again.  "Never forget, you will always have my love," he says tenderly.  That I will remember, she promises, kissing his hands.  I will make you happy, Catherine, I promise, he says.  They kiss, holding each other tightly.

10 PM - Drawing room - Bramwell somberly says, Flora, I don't wish my presence to add to your grief.  I am trying to be as realistic as possible, she says--too often in the past, this family has split apart in troubled times--perhaps we have now learned that we should stay together if we possibly can.  Julia nods in agreement.  Kendrick enters, looking for Melanie--is she ready yet?  She is, says Julia. She went to say goodbye to Carrie Stokes, explains Flora.  Then I'd best go get her, says Kendrick.  No, says Flora, I sent Harris for her, I didn't want her to walk home alone tonight.  Thank you both for understanding, says Kendrick to Flora and Julia.  The front door bursts open.  Mrs. Collins! calls Harris, carrying Melanie in his arms--I found her lying in the woods.  Ben Stokes is with them, too.  They all run into the foyer, Kendrick calling, Melanie!  He takes her from Harris.  Put her on the sofa, orders Julia.  Everyone gathers around in consternation.  She must have been attacked by something, suggests Stokes--some kind of wild animal.  Look! cries Julia, pointing to two bite marks on Melanie's neck.  Harris, get a doctor, says Flora.  Kendrick, horrified at the sight of the bite wounds, asks Melanie, "What caused them?--tell me!"  Bramwell stares down at the marks.  What could have happened? wonders Flora.  What kind of animal would attack her like that? asks Julia. Says Ben Stokes, "If I didn't know better..."
Yes, Stokes? asks Kendrick.  "If I didn't know it wasn't possible," says Stokes, "I'd swear there was a vampire at Collinwood."

The camera pans to a horrified expression on Bramwell's face, then Barnabas' portrait (didn't Julia give that to Bramwell as a wedding present?)  As the familiar DARK SHADOWS theme music swells, Thayer David narrates:  "There was no vampire loose on he great estate.  For the first time, the bites on the neck were indeed those of an animal.  Melanie soon recovered and went to live in Boston with her beloved Kendrick.  There they prospered and had three children.  Bramwell and Catherine were soon married, and at Flora's insistence, stayed on at Collinwood, where Bramwell assumed control of the Collins business interests.  Their love became a living legend, and as long as they lived, the dark shadows at Collinwood were but a memory of the distant past.
The camera pans the foyer, the living room; lightning flashes and thunder swells as we hear the final BUM BUM BUM!

We see different still black and white pictures of Collinwood, then Jonathan Frid's wonderful voice quotes Shakespeare, poignantly, appropriately: "Our revels now are ended.  These are actors as I foretold you were all spirits and are melted into air--into thin air!  And like the baseless fabric of this vision, the cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, the solemn temples, the great globe itself--yea all which inherit it shall dissolve and like this insubstantial pageant faded, leave not a rack behind.  We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our little life is rounded with a sleep."  

I have chosen not to include Sam Hall's Roger David-narrated speculation on what happened to the characters or what plans he had for them.  We have seen this written many times, and if someone wants to post it, please feel free.  I think ending it with Frid's Shakespearean quote is Perfect.

Gordon Russell, one of DS' writers, portrayed Harris, the second footman, in this episode.

As for me, I'm crying.  I always cry when I see this episode.  It's been 30 years since I first bid goodbye to DARK SHADOWS, yet this episode always has the power to start my waterworks flowing.

NOTES:  Bramwell and Catherine got their happy ending.  Whether you believe they deserved it or not, given the trail of bodies left in their wake, I was always pleased to see that they, with their unborn baby, married and were happy, their love "a living legend."

Melanie and Kendrick deserve every happiness that comes to them, and it sounds as if they enjoyed a happy life with a nice family.

Why did Bramwell end up with the family business instead of Quentin?  He was the next in line, wasn't he?  That's always bugged me.

I felt badly for Flora when she talked of Justin and how she wished he had lived to see the end of the curse.  I guess she and Julia just live out their lives at Collinwood, enjoying Bramwell and Catherine's baby (and other children, hopefully).  Perhaps Quentin married and stayed at Collinwood, too, with his wife and kids.

It has been my pleasure being your "Robservisor" for this wondrous show, which, then and now, has twined itself in my heart.

Love, Robin

PS - Those wishing to order my Robservations CD, containing every single episode of the show synopsized as only I can do it, please send $20, postpaid, to:

Robin Vogel
240 Broadway
Massapequa Park NY 11762

It's been a fun ride!