Author Topic: #1240/1241: Robservations 01/16/04: Morgan Learns the Truth  (Read 1813 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1240/1241: Robservations 01/16/04: Morgan Learns the Truth
« on: January 05, 2004, 11:31:05 AM »
1240 - Flora's room - Flora, dressed in black, gazes into the fireplace, where no flame is burning.  Morgan, sporting a black armband, says, no one knows better than I how you feel, but it's just as well you didn't see Gabriel.  I feel so guilty, she says--he deserved a better fate.  That could be said for all of us, points out Morgan.  Somehow I felt closer to Gabriel than any of the rest of you, she says--he was the weakest--he needed me most.  I understand, says Morgan, but Gabriel is gone now--at least he's met his peace.  Yes, he's at peace, she agrees, sighing.  Julia, also in black, joins them--we must hold the lottery again, she says--as soon as possible!

What's happened? asks Morgan.  It's Melanie, explains Julia--Kendrick and I had to lock her in the tower room.  She's had another attack? asks Flora.  Yes, only this one may be permanent, says Julia--she tried to kill Kendrick with a knife, we got it away from her.  Why do you say this might be permanent? asks Flora.  After we took her up to the tower room, we went back downstairs--we thought it just another attack--then Kendrick and I saw the ghost of Brutus Collins
--he was laughing at us, then he spoke, and he said Melanie would never be sane until another Collins goes into the locked room.  All of them express dismay.  We have no choice, we must do it! cries Julia.  We must do this, for Melanie's sake, agrees Morgan.  Poor Melanie, laments Flora, she was married only last night--it's almost as if the ghost of Brutus waited for that moment of happiness, then deliberately struck her down--what a cruel and evil man he must have been..  We mustn't waste anymore time talking, says Morgan--when would you like the family assembled?  Inform everyone we will hold the lottery late this afternoon, says Flora, in the drawing room as usual.  Everyone isn't here, he reminds her--Quentin went to Boston and won't be back until Monday.  (Selby had already been stricken with appendicitis, and is out of the show.)  Then we'll have to hold the lottery without him, says Flora.  We've never done that before, protests Morgan--we've never done it without the entire family.  Morgan, for Melanie's sake, says Flora, we cannot afford to wait!  Morgan nods.  Get Kendrick, Flora tells Morgan--I want to speak to him.  He leaves.  Flora sits down, depressed.  There's nothing you can do to avoid this, says Julia.  I know, says Flora--I cannot bear the thought of the lottery anymore--who will it be, Julia?--who in the family will we lose this time?

Kendrick returns to Collinwood and joins Catherine in the drawing room.  She, too, is dressed in black; he wears a black armband.  Has Julia come downstairs yet? he asks.  No, I haven't seen her, says Catherine--did you go for a walk this morning?  Yes, he says, I found the house quite depressing.  Why, has something else happened? asks Catherine (I guess two deaths in the family isn't enough).  If you don't mind, let's wait for Julia, he says.  Of course, she agrees.  I didn't have time to tell you how I felt when I heard the news about Daphne, he says--I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say.  There is nothing else to say, she says sadly.  When is the funeral? he asks.  I don't know, it's up to Bramwell, she says, and starts to faint.  Kendrick immediately catches her--are you ill? he asks.  No, I'm fine, she says.  Obviously not, he says.  It's just emotional stress, she says as he helps her to the sofa, I'm perfectly all right.  That may be so, he says, but you're going to sit down.  She thanks him.  Morgan comes in and asks what's wrong.  Catherine gazes at him uncertainly.

Please don't get yourself alarmed, Morgan, she says.  He sits beside he--answer my question, he says--what's wrong?  Nothing at all, I just felt a little dizzy, that's all, she says--it's just emotion--I'm still very upset about Daphne.  I think it's much more than that, he says, and I'm going to send for Dr. Fletcher.  No! she cries, I'm perfectly healthy, please don't call the doctor.  I think there's more you're not telling us, he says.  That's absurd, she insists--if there was anything at all wrong, wouldn't you be the first to know?  (Nope.)  I don't know, he says.  You must realize if there were anything wrong, I'd tell you right away, she says--but there is nothing to tell--stop all this nonsense about a doctor.  Kendrick, says Morgan, Flora wants to see you in her room right away.  Kendrick excuses himself and leaves.  I have very bad news, Catherine, says Morgan--he takes down the lottery vase--we are going to have to use this again.  The lottery? she cries.  Yes, he says, it's going to take place later this afternoon.  But why? she demands.  Please listen to me, he says--there is a lot to explain.

Kendrick joins Julia and Flora.  His mother-in-law says, I'm so sorry about what happened to Melanie.  I should have taken her away from here the moment we were married, he says, as far away as possible.  You know that wouldn't have done any good, she says--Melanie is subject to these attacks no matter where she is.  I would have found help for her, he says, I swear I would!  I also want to speak to you about something else, she says--I think you should have your marriage annulled--I know it shocks you, but under the circumstances, what sort of marriage can you expect to have?  Kendrick adamantly refuses to consider it.  What if the prophecy is true? she asks--what if she stays this way permanently?  She won't, he says.  How can you be sure of that? she asks.  There will be no annulment! he insists--Melanie is my wife!--I vowed to take care of her in sickness and health and I will not break that vow!  But you wouldn't be! says Flora.  I will not discuss the point any further! shouts Kendrick--I have made up my mind.  (Stick by your gal, Kendrick, that's the spirit!)--I have felt that Melanie will be herself again when the curse is broken.  And when will that be? asks Julia.  When I end it, he says.  You? asks Flora.
Don't be surprised, he says--I am a Collins now, and I intend to take part in the lottery when it happens--and furthermore, I intend to be the one chosen to go into the room!  (He has the same good intentions as Catherine did--look what happened to her.)

Bedroom - Catherine gazes out the window of their bedroom and nervously asks Morgan, how long will we have to wait?  A couple of hours yet, he says, but you needn't worry about it, because you're not going to take part in it.  Of course I am! she insists.  You went through with your obligation in the last lottery and you were chosen then, he says.  But you took my place, she reminds him.  I'll do it again, he assures her, taking her in his arms--please let me have my way--you've been through so much already, and I don't want you to have to go through anymore--you're going to have to put all your effort into Daphne's funeral.  (No funeral for Gabriel?)  Very well, she says, but if the family insists I take part, then I shall.  Don't worry, he says, I'll handle the family.  Passionately, they kiss.

Drawing room - Julia sits by the fire.  What are you thinking about? asks Kendrick.  How few of us there are left, she says.  Don't let it depress you, he says.  I can't help it, she says--you know, I never used to think about what it would be like to go into that room, I suppose I always felt I would never be the one chosen, but now...  ...now you think you will be the one, he finishes.  Yes, she says, and the thought frightens me--perhaps it's because I know more about the room now--ever since Morgan took me there during the day, something happened there that frightened me more than anything I ever felt.  Can you describe this feeling? he asks.  It happened when I went into the secret file room, she says.  When you saw the two bodies? he asks.  You can't possibly just call them two bodies, she says--two ordinary corpses would have rotted to nothing but bone in 160 years--these two somehow mummified and preserved all these years--and I have this frightening feeling about them--they might still be alive.  You know that's impossible, he says.  When I was there looking at them, she says, I could have sworn one of them moved.  Julia! he says--under the circumstances, you could have easily imagined it.  That's what Morgan said, she says, I'm not sure, I wish I could stop thinking about it--why are you looking at me like that?  I'm amazed at your fear of this, he says--I always thought you the strong one in the family--I think it's quite interesting that I thought I knew you so well, but now I see a part I never knew existed.  Flora enters--Kendrick are you certain you want to go through with this? she asks.  Yes, I'm certain, he says.  Very well, I can't stop you, she says--you are a member of the family now as you said--Julia, where are Catherine and Morgan?  In the master bedroom, shall I get them? she asks.  No, says Flora, let them enjoy a few moments more alone together--I'll prepare the slips for the lottery.  She begins cutting up a piece of paper.

4:50 - Morgan gazes at the clock--Catherine, it will be time soon, he says--this could be goodbye.  I'm sure it's not, she says.  I've had the strangest feeling all day that I will be a victim of fate, he says--how convenient it would be if I were to go into the room and die--and with Bramwell already free, that would leave you free.  She runs to him--I can't bear to hear you talk this way, she says--with my sister dead not a day--how can you think I could be thinking that?  I want you to promise me something, he says--if I should go into the room and die. . .  Please stop talking like that! begs Catherine angrily.
I want you to promise, he says, that you will not marry Bramwell!  It is not going to happen, she cries, you are not going to die!  He looks at her stoically, pointing out, you haven't answered my question.  Julia knocks at the door--everyone is ready, she announces.  Morgan gives Catherine a significant look, and leaves with Julia.  Catherine throws herself on her bed and cries.

Five slips, one marked with an X, wait next to the lottery vase.  Julia and Morgan join Kendrick and Flora, who asks, where is Catherine?  She's not going to participate, says Morgan--she was chosen the last time.  And you took her place, says Flora--according to your reasoning, you shouldn't participate, either.  Mother, I'd rather not discuss it, insists Morgan--now let's get on with it.  Flora tears up one slip--I have prepared four slips, she says, three blank, one marked with an X--whoever draws the X will sleep in the room (I would have loved to see Flora rip up the X-marked slip, resulting in everyone getting a blank!)--we will each draw a slip from the vase, but no one is to open theirs until everyone has drawn--Kendrick, do you understand?  Yes, he says.  Flora draws first, then Kendrick, then Morgan, and finally Julia.  Flora opens a blank, as does Morgan.  That leaves you and me, says Kendrick, gazing at Julia.  Shaking, holding her slip in two hands, she says, you go first.  Everyone's face shows dread and fascination.
He opens his slip--he chose the X.  Julia sighs with relief as Kendrick shows them his slip.

NOTES:  Kendrick decides to take part--and of course, the new guy in the family gets chosen.  How unfair.  He seems to share the same attitude as Catherine when she first participated--that he is going to break the curse!  Perhaps he will--or perhaps he will be the next victim.

No funeral for poor Gabriel?  Seems wrong.  He deserves one.  They are dropping like flies in this storyline, which is how we know it's drawing to a close.

Catherine never did promise Morgan she wouldn't marry Bramwell if he died in the room.  I guess that's a moot point now, but Morgan's behavior seems very odd these days, doesn't it?

I love the relationship that has formed between Julia and Kendrick now, they're now compadres.

It does get wearing, watching them do the lottery over and over.

Love Robin

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:#1240/1241: Robservations 01/16/04: Morgan Learns the Truth
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 07:05:18 PM »
1241 - Kendrick, alone in the drawing room, picks up the X-marked slip he chose earlier.  Bramwell enters the house, wearing a black armband.  He greets Kendrick, who somberly greets him back.  After what I heard about you and Melanie, says Bramwell, I would have expected you'd be more cheerful.  I've learned that there is never anything to be cheerful about in this house, says Kendrick--tonight is no exception.  What's happened? asks Bramwell.  The lottery was held again, one hour ago, says Kendrick.  And who's going into the room this time? asks Bramwell, making a sour face.  I am, says Kendrick.  Bramwell is astonished.

You mean to tell me that they actually allowed you to participate in the lottery? asks Bramwell.  Why shouldn't they? asks Kendrick, I'm a member of the family now.  He pours a drink.  But you're not a Collins, says Bramwell.  Actually, I wanted to participate, says Kendrick--I was anxious to be picked to go into the room.  Bramwell caustically remarks, of course they were more than happy to accommodate you--your magnanimity spared them all!  It wasn't that, says Kendrick, I knew what I was doing.  Why on earth are you going into that room? demands Bramwell.  Kendrick paces away from him, puts down his drink, grabs the slip marked with an X and crumples it in his hand--to end the curse, he says determinedly--he throws the slip into the fireplace.  You and I don't know each other very well, says Bramwell, but may I give you a word of friendly advice?  What is it? asks Kendrick.  Don't become a part of this Collins madness, advises Bramwell--take Melanie as far away from here as you can.  I think it's too late for that, says Kendrick.  It's never too late--if you love her, says Bramwell.  Obviously, says Kendrick, you haven't heard the news--Melanie had another attack--she's locked in the tower room--shortly after it happened, Julia and I saw the ghost of Brutus Collins right here in this room.  Bramwell looks skeptical--the ghost of Brutus Collins, he says--surely you imagined that!  It wasn't my imagination, insists Kendrick--he spoke to us, and said Melanie would not be sane again until another person went into that room.  Of all the people in this house, Melanie seems to have suffered the most, says Bramwell--I don't understand it.  I almost took her away from here last night, says Kendrick--I blame myself for what happened--that's why I'm going into that locked room.  And you really think you can end it? asks Bramwell.  Yes, says Kendrick.  I'm afraid I can't agree with you, says Bramwell--the only way for this to end is for the Collins family to destroy itself.  Kendrick looks at him grimly.  Catherine enters.  Agitated, she asks, Bramwell, what are you doing here?  Kendrick excuses himself--I'm going to see Melanie.  Catherine closes the doors after Kendrick leaves and again asks Bramwell, what are you doing here?  You seem upset, he notes.  Of course I'm upset, she says--don't you think I have a reason to be?  I hope you don't think I had anything to do with it, he says--I'm here for a legitimate reason--I spent the whole day making arrangements for Daphne's funeral and I came here to announce them to the family.  Tell me the arrangements, she says--I'll relay them to the family.  Why are you so upset? he asks.
Your presence here upsets me, she says--don't you know if you're found here, there will be trouble?--there have been such ill feelings since Daphne died.  You're speaking of Morgan now, he says evenly.  If we are seen together now, it will be very difficult for me, she says, sitting down.  Very well, he says--I'll leave on one condition.  What's that? she asks.  Agree to see me tonight at nine o'clock at the gazebo, he says.  Don't be absurd, she says, that's impossible.  It's essential that you see me, he insists.  I can't afford to be seen with you, she says.  Is Morgan really watching you that closely? he asks.  Can't you understand? she asks.  I understand only one thing, he says, sitting beside her, and that is that you must see me--and I will not leave here until you promise you will.  Very well, she says--yes I'll come.  Nine o'clock at the gazebo, he repeats.  Yes, now please get out of here! she cries.  Bramwell starts to leave, but nearly runs smack into Morgan when he opens the doors.

Leave the room, Morgan orders his wife.  Catherine nervously says, Bramwell has a good reason for being here.  Then I'll hear it from him, won't I? says Morgan.  Morgan, remember what you promised me, she reminds him.  I said kindly leave the room, Catherine! repeats Morgan.  She does.  Her husband closes the double doors.  "Your mind is swirling with lurid thoughts, isn't it?" asks Bramwell (I do love that line)!  As far as I'm concerned, you can thank Catherine that you're still alive, says Morgan.  Why, may I ask, do I owe her my life? asks Bramwell.  You couldn't have been more responsible for your wife's death than if you had taken a pistol and shot her down dead! accuses Morgan.  So now murder has been added to my list of crimes? asks Bramwell.  Yes, says Morgan--I was on my way to the Old House to shoot you down like a common criminal, but Catherine persuaded me not to.  I must express my gratitude to her, says Bramwell sarcastically.  How contemptuous you are, says Morgan, you have absolutely no feeling for Daphne's death at all, do you?
I will express my feelings in my own way, says Bramwell, but what strikes me curious is your behavior, not mine.  What is that supposed to mean? asks Morgan.  Your seemingly intense grief for Daphne's death, says Bramwell--you never felt that way for her when she was alive and well, did you?  What are you getting at? demands Morgan.  This grief that you have for her, this anger, has nothing to do with Daphne's death, says Bramwell--it's because I'm free again--free to be your rival!  That's a lie! shouts Morgan--I was very fond of Daphne--you're the one responsible for her death!  If that's what you want to believe, says Bramwell, I will not try to stop you, but I know you so well--I know how easily jealous you get.  That's not true, says Morgan--Catherine loves me very much and she's very happy with me.  If you keep thinking that, says Bramwell, sooner or later you'll be convinced.  I think it's time you left this house, commands Morgan.  You heard what Catherine said, says Bramwell, I'm here for a legitimate reason.  I DON'T CARE WHAT THE REASON IS! yells Morgan--I want you out of this house this minute!  I will leave on orders from the head of the house--and that isn't you! says Bramwell.  No, it isn't, agrees Morgan, but that does not stop me from bodily throwing you out--he grabs hold of Bramwell, about to make good on his threat.   Julia enters, interrupting, calling, "Morgan!"  This is a fight between him and me, says Morgan.  You will leave this room right now, orders Julia.  Do not interfere! insists Morgan.  Do you understand what I'm saying, says Julia--leave this room right now--do you hear me?  I think you had better listen to your aunt, advises Bramwell, if you want to live to fight another day.  Morgan gives Bramwell a look of unmitigated hatred and exits the room.  I warned you, Julia reminds Bramwell, but you wouldn't listen--are you satisfied now?  Satisfied? he asks.  I told you that there would be trouble unless you left Collinwood, she says.  I did not instigate what you just saw, he says.  That is beside the point! she says.  No it is not, he insists, I came here in peace--to tell the family of Daphne's funeral arrangements.  You should have left it to Josette to tell us, says Julia--I told you if you came here, Morgan would be angry.  That is Morgan's business, not mine, says Bramwell--I promise you that nothing will happen--now I want to go see Flora--is she here?  Yes, in her room, resting, she doesn't want to be disturbed, explains Julia--why do you want to see her?--to tell her the funeral arrangements, I expect--well, you can tell them to me.  She sits down to listen.

Tower room - Kendrick waits outside in the corridor.  He unlocks the door and enters.  What do you want? asks Melanie.  You still don't recognize me, do you? he asks dispiritedly.  I recognize you, all right, she says nastily, you're the one who put me here.  Melanie, I have something very important...  Don't come near me! she warns, eyes gleaming with madness--if you do, I'll kill you!

Melanie, he says.  She covers her ears--stop calling me that name! she demands.  Will you just listen to me and try to understand what I'm going to say? he says--it is very important to both of us.  You and I have nothing to say to each other, she insists.  You have nothing to lose by listening to me, he says--do you understand that much?  I understand I have no choice, because I'm your prisoner here, she says.  We've done it for your own good, he says, but you might not have to be here that much longer.  You're lying to me! she shrieks, you never intend to let me out of this room!  Do you know what the lottery is? he asks.  Yes I know, she says.  It was held tonight, he says--I was chosen to go into the room!  You seem almost anxious to go in, she says.  I am, he says, because I believe I can spend the night in that room and end the curse.  The curse will never end, she says, Brutus will see to that.  I don't believe that, says Kendrick, I believe I can end it, and if I do, you will be cured.  There's nothing wrong with me, she says--it's you, all of you Collinses who are mad--all of you.  She has wandered toward the door, thinking of escape as she's speaking, but he slams the door closed when she draws near.  Melanie! he says.  If you go into that room, you will die! she cries.  No, he says.  Brutus shows no mercy to anyone, she says, he is too powerful--he cannot be defied!--I tried it--I failed--I've had no rest since then--and now I'm his servant--and I must help him in any way I can--to get revenge--I promise you, when you go into that room you will die--and when you do, I shall rejoice.  (The cold, quiet way she whispers this is absolutely chilling!)
She begins to laugh, insane laughter that makes Kendrick close his eyes in misery.  He leaves the tower room and meets Julia, carrying a tray, out in the hall.  Why did you come and see her? she asks.  I had to see her, he says.  You knew how useless it would be, she says.  I felt there might be some hope, he says.  There isn't and there won't be until you go into that room, she says.  Julia, he says, she's my WIFE, I couldn't stay away.  Did it do any good to see her? she asks.  No, it didn't, he admits.  Then don't torture yourself by coming here again, she says, we both heard the prophecy--we both know that she's got to stay this way.  There is something about me that none of you seem to have a grip on, he says--I'm not like any of you--you're all defeatists, I've watched and studied you--you're all willing to sit back and accept your fate!--not me--I will fight this thing!--and I win!--I will do my own destiny, and nothing will stop me!  You sound very much like Catherine when she came here, says Julia--to her the whole curse was just superstitious nonsense, is what she thought--it was barely two months ago--now she feels as we do--that there may be nothing that can appease the curse.  And you're all willing to stay here, says Kendrick, and die, one by one?  If running away were the answer, we'd have done that before, says Julia.  How do you know it isn't the answer? he asks.  Because there are those who have tried it, she says.  And what happened to them? he asks.  The curse followed, caught up with them, she explains, every one of them--none of them ever lived to tell of it.  I will, he vows.
I hope so, for your sake--and for Melanie's, says Julia--I've lived here all my life, and there's something I know--you're just as human as any of us--and the same thing can happen to you in that room as any one in the family.  She turns to unlock the door and bring Melanie her food.  Kendrick looks chastened---and thoughtful.

Morgan swirls brandy in a glass.  Kendrick, looking frustrated, joins him in the drawing room.  Would you like a drink? offers Morgan.  If I thought it would help, I'd say yes, answers Kendrick.  I know how you feel, says Morgan--remember, I spent the night in that room also--maybe you should have taken Mother's advice and gotten an annulment to the marriage.  I've got to do it, for Melanie's sake, says Kendrick.  Well, I'd try to tell you to stop thinking about it, says Morgan, but I know how impossible that is.  No, it's not going into the ROOM that's bothering me, says Kendrick raggedly, it's the waiting!--why can't I just go up there now and spend the night?--I'm ready for whatever happens!  One of the rules is you must spend the entire evening in the room, says Morgan, not just part of it.  Kendrick, a sick grin on his face, says, "One of the rules--the ritual of it all is so unbelievable--there's something uncivilized about it--I think I will have that drink."  He helps himself to a brandy.  8:55. Morgan, who has just asked Kendrick to fix him another drink, spots Catherine about to leave the house.  She looks at him guiltily as he asks, are you going out?  Yes, says Catherine--I assume Julia told you about the funeral arrangements.  Yes, she did, says Morgan--you aren't going to the village, are you?  No, she says, I was going to the Old house.  Why? he asks.  The funeral is tomorrow, says Catherine, I'll be there, of course, but so will so many other people--I thought I'd like to pay my last respects to my sister alone--you can understand that, can't you, Morgan?  Yes, of course I can, he says.  I won't be long, she promises.  He stops her--are you feeling all right? he asks.  Yes, she says, wiping away a tear, of course--see you soon.  Something in her demeanor puzzles him.  Kendrick holds out Morgan's drink.   I've changed my mind, says Morgan--I don't want it.

Bramwell paces the gazebo, waiting for Catherine.  When she appears, he thanks her for coming.  This is insane, she protests, I'm risking everything to be here.  Even in mourning, you're the picture of loveliness, he says tenderly.  Ignoring his compliment, she says, tell me what it is that's so important that it couldn't wait until after tomorrow.  There's only one thing that's important in our lives--us, he says.  I don't see how you can talk that way, she says, moving away from his intense gaze, my sister isn't even buried yet.  Daphne wanted us to be together, remember? he asks.  Did you ask me here just to remind me of that? she asks.  No, he says, I asked you here because I heard something that deeply disturbed me--you almost had one of your fainting spells this morning, didn't you?  Facing him, she asks, how could you possibly know that?  Word spreads quickly at Collinwood, he chuckles--oh, the family didn't tell me, but over the years, I've cultivated friends among the servants--it's true, isn't it?  She turns away--yes, she says, it's true.  And you know why you almost fainted, he says--because you're pregnant, and that's what I wanted to talk to you about.  What more is there to say? she asks.  Catherine, you can't keep putting it off forever, he reminds her, time's running out--before long, you won't have to tell anyone--everyone will know.  I've thought and thought about it, she says tremulously, but I don't know what to do.  "We must make up our minds soon," he insists--"it's our child that you're carrying--and we have to come to some decision about its future!"
Unknown to both of them, Morgan, hiding in the bushes, has overheard everything.

NOTES:  I always wondered just how much Morgan loved Catherine.  Now that he knows she's pregnant by his hated enemy, would he go into the room for her all over again?  Somehow, I doubt it, and I fear for both Bramwell, Catherine and their baby now.  Morgan was quite ready to kill Bramwell, and now he'll probably be equally prepared to do away with what he will see as his unfaithful wife.  Morgan hasn't been the same since his possession by Forsythe.  I suspect this revelation will send him over the deep end into total madness.

Nancy's Barrett's possessed Melanie gives me the chills in this episode.  She's so nasty to Kendrick, especially when she tells him she will rejoice if he dies in the room.  That's mighty cold, even for the ghost of Amanda Collins.

I said that Kendrick seemed to share Catherine's attitude about the lottery, but how matter of factly Julia spoke to him about others who have tried to escape the curse.  Will his hopes be dashed the way Catherine's were?

Love, Robin

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 09:50:38 PM »
I have felt that Melanie will be herself again when the curse is broken.  And when will that be? asks Julia.  When I end it, he says.  You? asks Flora.  Don't be surprised, he says--I am a Collins now, and I intend to take part in the lottery when it happens--and furthermore, I intend to be the one chosen to go into the room!

Kendrick is not a Collins.  Wives marry into their husbands' families, not vice versa.  The Youngs are a separate household and have no obligation to join in the lottery.  Are traditions different in parallel time, or is Kendrick just trying to be heroic for Melanie's sake?

ProfStokes

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 04:44:29 AM »
 [aprvg] Kendrick seems chivalrous, rather than the sort whom would fancy himself a Collins.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 06:19:13 AM »
I always assumed that while he's not a Collins by name, he is now a member of the family, and in that sense they refer to him as now being a Collins.  I assume he could have refused, but he wants to do it.
Josette