Author Topic: OT: Haunted House  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:OT: Haunted House
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 01:09:54 PM »
Ghosts, Shmosts Connie.....all I see is a tribe of gorgeous kids. [wink2]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2004, 03:59:48 PM »
But I swear I see a faint image of a man's face looking in the window on the picture that says " awww that's my baby."  It's near the very bottom of the photo and when I looked through my magnifying glass it looks like he's wearing glasses!!   Maybe it's just my imagination but that's what I see.

I see him too, Cassandra. Looks like Selby as Quentin (to me). Ready to move in, Connie, lol?

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2004, 08:39:36 PM »
A creepy story, Connie!  Yes, I have heard that Ouija boards might even open the door to demonic presences and you definitely don't want THAT.  Back in college a friend and I read many of demonologists Ed and Larraine Warren's books and they were interesting but also very frightening.  In fact, I suggested to my spirit-infested friends that they contact the Warrens, which they did.

Speaking of ghosts, what do you all think of the recent Hampton Court ghost sighting?

Please see:
OT - If this IS a fake...
(by following the above link) on the Calendar Events / Announcements '03 II board in the Members' Mausoleum Archive

Apparently, there is some doubt now as to its authenticity, although I don't think they have proven that it is a hoax.  Fascinating!   [ghost]

[Edited by Midnite]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2004, 09:12:33 PM »
I loved those books by the Warrens!  They were all so wonderfully creepy.  They "appeared" in two made-for-TV movies that I know of.  By that, I mean their characters were involved, played by actors.  One was based on their book about a murder case in Connecticut in which a young man accused of homicide was alledgedly possessed by the devil.  Andy Griffith played Ed Warren.  The second was The Haunting, based on a case in north-eastern Pennsylvania, near Scranton/Wilkes Barre, in which a family found itself under apparent demonic attack after it moved into a house.

Oops!  I accidentally hit "post" before I was finished.  Anyway, The Haunting, originally aired on Fox, appears every once in awhile on the Sci-Fi Channel.  I remember "The Haunting" case, because I was living in Pennsylvania when it happened, and local news channels had virtually daily up-dates.

Gerard

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2004, 07:20:02 AM »
I see him too, Cassandra. Looks like Selby as Quentin (to me). Ready to move in, Connie, lol?

But I swear I see a faint image of a man's face looking in the window on the picture that says " awww that's my baby."  It's near the very bottom of the photo and when I looked through my magnifying glass it looks like he's wearing glasses!!   Maybe it's just my imagination but that's what I see.

I don't see it.  I've studied and studied and I can't find a man's face.  (And certainly nothing resembling Selby)  LOL!!

I'll tell you what I DO see though.....
In the first picture on the Miscellaneous page, I see a figure of a man wearing a hat in the window.  Looks like he's standing out in the yard.  The image is white-ish and translucent.  I've studied the things on the inside of the window (like that hanging plant holder) to see if it could be a reflection of anything, and the shape doesn't match anything in the kitchen.  My husband doesn't see the hat - he just see's the guy's head, but I think the hat is very obvious.  It's tipped - goes down on the left and up on the right.

I'm gonna email my sister and tell her to look at that picture and ask if she sees anything in that window.  Not gonna tell her what I see.

I was thinking maybe he went outside 'cause he didn't like all the commotion in the house!  LOL

;D  :o  ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2004, 09:08:22 AM »
I see 'im, Connie. Took a few seconds to see the hat, but I finally did.

You weren't wearing a hat when you took the pic, were you?  ;)

Here's the face I see in the window that Cassandra pointed out (I think it's the same one), Connie. I moved it way over because when I moved it anywhere left of Evan, in the picture, it gave me the creeps.

Looks like Quentin to me!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2004, 10:52:20 AM »
Here's the face I see in the window that Cassandra pointed out (I think it's the same one), Connie. I moved it way over because when I moved it anywhere left of Evan, in the picture, it gave me the creeps.
Looks like Quentin to me!

Dom,  I don't think we're seeing the same thing.  This is the image that I see. It's almost directly behind Evan and I drew a white circle around it.   Im not sure of what you are seeing because I only see a white circle where you posted the picture?
LOL !! By the time we're finished here we'll all need glasses!!

Cassandra

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2004, 11:19:22 AM »
I'll tell you what I DO see though.....
In the first picture on the Miscellaneous page, I see a figure of a man wearing a hat in the window.  Looks like he's standing out in the yard.  The image is white-ish and translucent.  I've studied the things on the inside of the window (like that hanging plant holder) to see if it could be a reflection of anything, and the shape doesn't match anything in the kitchen.  My husband doesn't see the hat - he just see's the guy's head, but I think the hat is very obvious.  It's tipped - goes down on the left and up on the right.

I see it Connie!  I didn't see it at first but could see it with my magnifying glass.  The hat almost looks like one of those old cowboy hats to me.

The funny thing was that I was going to ask you who was that walking outside in the yard in the same photo but first window panel!!  He's just about parallel to the guy with the hat on.  It looks like someone with very short cropped curly hair wearing a striped sleeve shirt.  He looks like he's just passing through!  LOL!!  This is getting really weird now.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2004, 04:23:21 PM »
Hi, Cassandra! I moved the face to below the plant to Evan's left. See it now? I don't know how to just circle a photo, as you did. So I had to move it to make it obvious. I see your phantom face now too (now that it's circled).

Maybe the guy in the cowboy hat is the ghost of Peter Bradford! LOL! Remember that corny, hatted dark phantom they used on the show that ended up being Peter bradford?  ::)

I'll nominate your "face in the window" as Elliot Stokes. I guess he traded in his monocle for a pair of glasses once he got to "the other side". ;D

Well, now I gotta go see if I can see the ghost in the striped shirt! :D I'm hoping it's Joe Haskell! If so, I'm gonna offer to house sit when the family goes on vacation!  [wink2]

dom (begging forgiveness for trying to tie this thread to DS)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2004, 08:23:16 PM »
Now, I'm not saying that something isn't going on in Connie's sister's home. And far be it from me to try to stifle speculation over ghostly phenomenon. But can we say overreaching to try to find evidence that may not really be there?  :D

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2004, 08:34:50 PM »
Thanks for the link, Midnite.  I should have guessed that the "spook" has already been discussed here before!

Gerard,
In college I also attended a talk given by the Warrens.  They had a supposedly demonic voice on tape.  Whatever it was, it was extremely creepy sounding and not like any human voice I've ever heard.  Anyway, it was a fascinating talk. 
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2004, 10:08:47 PM »
     I just remembered this weird story.  A few years ago, my three year old said there was an old witch in the window at the house across the street.  He was very scared and did not want to go into our living room because she might see him.  I looked at the neighbor's house and I definitely saw an old women standing in the house.  She never moved from her spot.  When my husband got home I asked him to look out the living room window at the neighbor's house.  He asked who the old women was.  I told him the person never moves.  My son was still afraid to go into the living room.  That weekend, my husband was outside working in the garden and our neighbor came out to chat.  When she had crossed the street, my husband pointed at her house and asked her if that old women in the window was a halloween mask.  She was also surprised to see the old women so she took my husband over to her house.  The old scary women turned out to be a little girls coat hanging on a hook.  She took it down and showed it to my three year old.  He was happy the witch was gone.  Thankfully, my neighbor did not put the coat back up.  I bet even Prof Stokes would say that was the fastest exorcism ever performed by a lay person. :D
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2004, 11:38:03 PM »
Now, I'm not saying that something isn't going on in Connie's sister's home. And far be it from me to try to stifle speculation over ghostly phenomenon.  But can we say overreaching to try to find evidence that may not really be there?  :D

Probably!   ::)  [lghy]

For the life of me, I can't see the faces dom and Cassandra are referring to.  But THIS is the rather ethereal image that struck me.  I cut it out and then have a larger size next to it for those who like things magnified.  (I think it's clearer in the smaller size):

As far as dom trying to tie this stuff into DS.....
Well, I just figured a lot of DS fans are interested in the "ghostly" aspect of things.  LOL
Ya know, not long ago I was realizing just how much of an influence Dark Shadows WAS in my life and I hadn't really thought about it before.  I don't think it would be NOW, if I were watching it for the first time, but back when I was a kid, it certainly spawned interests, influenced my taste in furniture, rugs, lamps, etc.  How many of you original-run veterans held seances with friends??  I did!  Actually, one time my best friend and I held a phoney one to spook a couple of girlfriends.  We did it in her basement and had her brother hiding in a closet.  (we had him make knocking noises on cue)   They were so scared they went screaming up the stairs.  LOL
Even back then, we thought the stuff on DS was pretty hoaky, but I think it definitely helped create an interest in the hereafter, which led to quite an interest and exploration of the "spiritual" side of things.

I realized DS even influenced the high school I went to.  The town I lived in wasn't large enough to have a high school, and at that time you had a choice between 2 different schools in neighboring towns.  I chose the one that had an old gothic building -- bears quite a resemblence to Lyndhurst.  (Gee...wonder why I wanted to go there!)

Anyway, it seems the same thing has happened to LAFB.  She adores the sets on the show - is always remarking on a beautiful lamp or a piece of furniture she loves, or a chair in one of the rooms.  We got her a new lamp for her bedroom for Christmas and all I can say is, the one she chose looks like it would fit quite nicely in the Old House drawing room!  LOL  (Looks especially good when she's got a few candles lit in there).

Did anyone on here really get into candles back then??  When I was 13 and 14 I always had candles lit in my room.  I wanted to be at Collinwood!!!

;D

Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2004, 12:57:32 AM »
I can't see anything in Cassandra's photo, and the face that dom highlighted looks to me like a stereotypical alien (pale, triangular face with big slanting black eyes.)  I must say, it's very interesting to read everyone's different perceptions of the same picture.  :)

ProfStokes

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2004, 03:51:01 AM »
We did seances all the time, Connie!  No self-respecting teenager back then (I'm talking late 60's through the mid-70's) wouldn't have done them - it was part of adolescence back then.  Of course, we were positive that things happened during our little spook gatherings.  We also did levitations, ouija boards, you-name-it.  And don't forget Mary Worth!  That one was actually the spookiest, because you had to go into that pitch-dark bathroom alone, with that one, teeny candle, looking in the mirror and keep saying it over and over again.  I don't think any of us made it beyond the second "I believe in Mary Wo..."  Oh, and down the street from my best friend's house was a "haunted house".  It was an abandoned place that kinda looked like the Psycho house and it still had some broken sticks of furniture in it.  One night we went in there, right at midnight - three of us.  We clung to each other, moving from room to room, up to the second floor.  We never made it into the basement, because while we were on the second floor, my best friend pointed and said:  "Didn't we leave that door open?  Well, now it's closed."  If somebody had been driving by outside at that moment, it would've looked like a scene from The Munsters, when somebody accidentally opens up Spot's hiding place under the stairs and then came crashing out of the house in fast-motion, climbing over the wall or even plowing underneath it.  Oh, those were fun days!

Gerard