Author Topic: #1234/1235: Robservations 01/09/04: Grisly Discovery  (Read 1502 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1234/1235: Robservations 01/09/04: Grisly Discovery
« on: January 02, 2004, 12:29:28 PM »
1234 - My mother is alive and somewhere close by? asks a joyful Melanie--I can't believe it--what is this vision you're seeing?  It's true, Carrie excitedly assures her, I see a room, with a coffin, and a woman--your mother.  Could it be somewhere here at Collinwood? asks Melanie.  Carrie, immersed in her vision, doesn't know--I must concentrate harder.  Please do, please try, begs Melanie--I want you to be able to see the woman--I want you to tell me who my real mother is.  It's becoming clearer! exults Carrie--it's...  From the doorway, Julia calls out, "Carrie!", breaking her concentration, upsetting Melanie terribly.  Carrie, what are you doing? Julia demands.  She was trying to help me, says Melanie, and she did--I know now my real mother is alive--Carrie, did you see her face, do you know who my mother is?  I didn't, says Carrie, I'm sorry.  Angry, Melanie says, Julia, you shouldn't have spoken to her as you did--you broke Carrie's concentration.  Tight-lipped, Julia says, Melanie, I will speak to you later; then turns to a terrified Carrie and reminds her, after what happened at the seance, your father had forbidden you from doing this anymore.  Yes I know, says Carrie tearfully.  Would you like him to find out about tonight? asks Julia cruelly.  Julia, please, begs Melanie.  Carrie shakes her head--please don't tell my father, pleads Carrie--I couldn't turn down Melanie--please don't tell!  All right, agrees Julia, we'll forget this one time--now go back to the cottage.  Carrie does, nearly running.  You deliberately stopped her because you don't want me to know, do you? demands Melanie.  I didn't do anything of the sort, says Julia--I haven't kept anything from you.  You don't want me to know the truth, accuses Melanie--you don't want me to know who my real mother is--why have you kept it from me all these years?  I don't know the truth and never have, says Julia--I only stopped Carrie because it was an exercise in futility.  That's not true! blares Melanie--Carrie told me that my mother is not just alive, but close by!  Carrie was wrong, says Julia, wrong to raise your hopes--that isn't fair to you.  I don't believe you! cries Melanie, I just don't believe you anymore!--she runs from the room.  Julia looks pensive.

Gabriel paces his tower prison.  Morgan enters with a flask of booze, but refuses to immediately give it to his alcoholic brother, holding it out of his each at first.  You haven't had a drink since you came into this room--why start now? asks Morgan.  Maybe you haven't noticed, says Gabriel angrily, but I haven't got anything better to do--I'm a prisoner here!  Morgan holds the flask close to Gabriel's face.  I've been locked up here 24 hours, says Gabriel resentfully, and ever since I've been here, I haven't done anything to anybody, committed any violence, nothing--all I've gotten is bored, and it's going to kill me if nothing else does--don't you understand?  I do, says Morgan, who hands his brother the flask--I hope you enjoy it.  Gabriel can't get the cap off fast enough--thank you, he says, I really appreciate it.  Gabriel takes a big swig.  Is there anything else I can do for you? asks Morgan.  Yes, says Gabriel, you can tell Mother I would like to see her.  About what? demands Morgan.
Why is it that whenever I ask a perfectly innocent question, you always look suspicious? asks Gabriel.  In view of your behavior, says Morgan, when you came out of that room, do you blame me?  I haven't done anything since I've been up here, have I? asks Gabriel--been a burden to anybody?--you can't deny that.  No I can't, says Morgan.  You don't think I'd do anything to harm mother, do you? asks Gabriel (you already tried!)  Not in your present state, of course not, agrees Morgan.  Please ask her to come see me, begs Gabriel.  I promise to tell her, agrees Morgan, and locks him in.  Gabriel stuffs the flask under the mattress, then begins furiously untying his cravat, which he holds in a "throttling-someone" manner.

Flora returns to Collinwood and finds Julia in the drawing room.  Julia is surprised to learn Flora  went to the Old House to see Daphne--you haven't been there in years, says Julia.  (I wonder why?--some feud with Josette, perhaps?)  I couldn't believe the news when I heard it, says Flora--I had to go--Daphne married into the family, and I felt an obligation.  Any change? asks Julia.  No, says Flora, Dr. Fletcher was there when I arrived; we talked privately--he says there's no hope at all.  How is Bramwell taking it? asks Julia.  I couldn't have been more surprised, says Flora, he's really grieved--I think he really loves her.  Perhaps it takes something like this to make him realize it, suggests Julia.  I felt really sorry for him, says Flora.  Morgan enters--I've just come from the tower room, he says--I want to speak to you.  How is he? asks Flora anxiously.  He seems quite calm and in control, says Morgan.  I find that very disturbing, remarks Julia--he's been too quiet up there.  I must go up, insists Flora, I haven't seen him since he was put there.  You can't take that chance, says Julia.  He's my son! says Flora, I'm not taking any chances now that he's himself again.  Be careful, warns Julia.  Don't worry, says Flora, and leaves.  Morgan pours a brandy for himself and offers one to Julia, who refuses--there's something I must attend to, she says.  She leaves the room and heads out of the house.

Stokes cottage - Carrie sits reading at the living room table.  Julia knocks at the door and asks for Carrie's father.  You promised you wouldn't tell him about tonight, the young girl tremulously reminds her.  I have no intention of breaking my promise, says Julia--is he here?  No, he's working late at his office, says Carrie.  Good, says Julia, because it's imperative we see each other alone--I have some questions to ask you--and I insist on honest answers--I want to know everything that happened when you tried to help Melanie.  She asked me to tell her everything I knew about her parents, says Carrie, so I began to concentrate, and I saw a woman in a room with a man in a coffin--I told her that her father was in the coffin and the woman her mother.  What else? asks Julia.  That's all, says Carrie.  That's not true, says Julia--when I interrupted you, you said that the image was becoming clear.  Yes, but then you interrupted, says Carrie, and the image disappeared.  It didn't disappear quite quickly enough, did it? demands Julia.  Scared, Carrie says, I don't know what you mean.  I saw the look on your face, says Julia, when Melanie asked you if there was anything else--and I know what that look meant--it meant the image became crystal clear for just one second--and you know who Melanie's mother is, don't you?  Carrie is frightened.
I swear, I didn't see what you think I saw! cries Carrie.  I can tell when you're lying, Carrie, accuses Julia, and you are lying now--listen, if it becomes necessary, and I have to go back on my promise...  Oh, please don't tell my father about tonight! wails Carrie.  You know who Melanie's mother is, don't you? asks Julia.  Yes, confesses Carrie, I saw her face for an instant.  You know now why you can't tell Melanie, says Julia.  No, says Carrie, turning away from her, I don't understand--I'm not sure I want to!  It doesn't matter, says Julia, Melanie must never know--you must not tell her.  Don't you understand, says Carrie, Melanie is bound to question me--I won't be able to lie to her anymore than I able to lie to you--she'll know I'm concealing something!  You will have to deny it--tell her you saw nothing and know nothing, insists Julia--Justin Collins and I agreed a long time ago that Melanie was never to know who her mother is--I want you to give me your word that you will not tell her.  Carrie agrees.  Thank you, says Julia-- good night.  Julia leaves.  Carrie is distraught.

Flora joins Gabriel in the tower room.  Look at me, Mother, he asks--tell me if I look insane.  Of course not, says Flora, facing him.  Haven't I been perfectly lucid since you put me here? he asks, sounding rational.  Everything you said it true, she agrees.  Isn't that proof enough I'm all right now? he asks.  She looks at him sympathetically and assures him, no one wants to believe that more than I do.  Believe it, Mother, he says, you must because it's true--I never felt better in my whole life.  It won't hurt to give it a little more time, she says.  You've already given it enough time, he says, pulling the cravat from his pocket while his back is turned to his mother--think of what I've gone through in this room--I haven't complained, have I?--I've tried to understand, haven't I--done my best to take it like a man--he holds up the cravat in a straight line in front of his face--isn't that true, Mother?  Yes, agrees Flora, walking away from him.  Release me from this room, please, be begs, you've got to--I give you my solemn word, I'll be as good as gold.  Distressed, Flora says, I would like to do as you ask, but I can't without consulting the family.  You're the head of the family, he reminds her--you can make the decision yourself--Mother, please, he says, make it.
He advances on her from behind, about to loop the cravat around her throat.  When Julia knocks, he hastily returns it to his pocket.  I'm coming out now, Julia, says Flora--Gabriel, as long as everyone in the family is involved, I feel I must consult with them--please try to understand.  I will, promises Gabriel--I'll do anything you want me to.  She leave the room.  Gabriel again takes out the cravat and holds it.  Seeing Flora's downcast face, Julia asks, what's the matter?  Poor Gabriel, says Flora, he's desperately lonely--I feel so sorry for him--I really do.  On the other side of the door, Gabriel grins with satisfaction.

Cottage - I'm sorry, Melanie, for not being able to tell you more, says Carrie, unable to look directly at her.  I was so certain you knew, says Melanie--when you said the image was becoming clearer, I thought suddenly you saw my mother's face and was going to tell me.  Perhaps I would have if Julia hadn't walked in, says Carrie, but she did.  Yes, she did, says Melanie bitterly.  I'm terribly tired and would like to go to bed, says Carrie.  Why are you so upset? asks Melanie.  I'm not upset, I'm tired, I told you! says Carrie.  Are you keeping something from me? asks Melanie. No! says Carrie immediately--honestly, you must believe me!  Very well, says Melanie, I believe you--did Julia come here tonight?  Of course not, says Carrie, whatever made you think that?  I don't know, says Melanie
--it just suddenly occurred to me that I might have--good night, Carrie.  After Melanie leaves, Carries bursts into tears.  (Julia is wrong, wrong, wrong--Melanie deserves to know, and putting poor Carrie in the middle of this, essentially using blackmail, is terrible!)

Collinwood - Julia comes downstairs and into the drawing room, where Flora is asking Morgan, where are Melanie and Quentin.  Quentin went to the village, says Morgan, why?  I want to consult the family about Gabriel, says Flora.  Is Catherine still upstairs? asks Julia.  Yes, says Morgan.  Never mind Catherine, says Flora, her mind is on Daphne--let's not disturb her.  What is it you want to discuss about Gabriel? asks Julia.  Melanie returns.  I'm so glad you're here, says Flora--I want to talk to you--I want you all to listen to what I have to say--Gabriel has just presented a strong argument, I think, in favor of his being released from the tower room.  Morgan isn't pleased.  Let me finish, asks Flora--it seems to me Gabriel has shown remarkable improvement, but I told him I couldn't decide without the whole family's decision to say yes.  You think his insanity was only temporary? asks Julia. Yes, I think that's possible, says Flora.  I'd like to believe that, says Morgan, but I remember the way Father was.  That was different, says Flora--Justin never came out of shock.  Mother, says Morgan, he used to go through long, dormant periods in which he'd show no violence at all, now Gabriel hasn't shown any sign of it for a week, but it could happen any moment, and without warning.  Then you think he shouldn't come out? asks Flora.  Yes, I do, says Morgan.  Flora turns to Julia.  I'm afraid I have to agree with Morgan, says Julia--I feel very sorry for Gabriel, but also feel we must consider the safety of the rest of the family.  Melanie gazes at her aunt.  What's your opinion, Melanie? asks Flora.  I agree Gabriel should stay in the tower room, she replies.  Very well, says Flora, disappointed, he stays--I'll go tell him.  No, says Julia, I will, I was planning to take him his food anyway.  Morgan puts comforting hands on his mother's shoulders--I know you're very concerned about Gabriel and want him to get well, he says--we all do--but we must take a little more time--perhaps we'll have a change of heart soon.

10:00 - (What meal is Julia bringing him at that hour?)  Drawing room - Morgan, says Flora, Julia brought Gabriel's food up an hour ago--I'm getting worried.  Perhaps she went to her room, he suggests.  No, she would have come down here to tell me Gabriel's reaction, says Flora.  Morgan volunteers to go check and see if anything has happened to her.  Flora paces anxiously.

Corridor, tower room - Morgan jiggles the locked door--Julia, are you still in there?--Gabriel, is Julia in there?  Receiving no answer, Morgan bangs at the door--Gabriel, are you still in there?
Inside, Julia lies on the floor, alive or dead, we don't know.  The tray and dishes she brought up are scattered on the floor around her.

NOTES:  What has Gabriel done to Julia?  Did he use that cravat to strangle the life out of her?

Julia is wrong and cruel to force poor Carrie to withhold the information about the mother Melanie so desperately seeks.  Why, we must wonder, is Julia so insistent that Melanie not know?  It seems she's being cruel to both young women, and we assume there must be a good reason, someone else she is protecting.  Why might that be, and why?

Gabriel is very convincing in pretending sanity, but he's also quite mad.  It appears he has escaped, which means no one is safe.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:#1234/1235: Robservations 01/09/04: Grisly Discovery
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 08:30:43 PM »
1235 - Julia lies on the sofa in the Collinwood drawing room.  Morgan dabs her forehead with a compress.  She awakens and puts her hand to her throbbing forehead.  Don't try to sit up, warns Morgan.  My head, she moans.  He must have given you quite a blow, guesses Morgan.  Gabriel! cries Julia in horror.  Yes, he locked you in the tower room, he says, I had to find another key to let you out.  He's gone again? she asks fearfully.  Yes, he says--what happened?  He completely fooled me, she says, I took his food up to him and told him what the family's decision was--that he had to stay in the tower room a while longer--he took it very calmly--he seemed so normal, so in control.  A bit too much so, suggests Morgan.  He asked me to stay and talk to him, says Julia, while he ate--there was a sadness in his voice, I began to feel sorry for him.
He did that to catch you off-guard, says Morgan.  Yes, she agrees, when I turned my back on him just once, that's the last thing I remember--the way he is now, oh, he's more dangerous than he ever was--we've got to get him and lock him up forever!  Quentin and the servants are out looking for him now, says Morgan--I'm going to join them--will you be all right here?  I will, she assures him, although my head aches--you must find Gabriel before he finds one of us, and commits murder!

Bramwell gazes out the window of his and Daphne's bedroom.  Daphne, dreaming, mutters, in delirium, you have to take me away from here...be happy...  He takes her hand--Daphne! he  calls.  She looks at him, awake now, and says, "You're still here."  "I'm not going to leave you, darling," he assures her.  I was having a dream about the two of us, she says--we were going away together and start a new life.  We will, he promises, as soon as you're better.  It was only a dream, no more she says.  Don't talk this way, he begs--we will make it work, make it happen, I swear we will!  I know how much you mean that, she says, but it's too late, don't you see that?  No, he says--tomorrow morning, the doctor will be here from Boston.  I think I've lived most of my life on dreams, she says--I'm not like Catherine, not strong, not able to face things as she is--so instead of facing things, I dreamed--only the things I dreamed were just a little beyond my reach, and so I never saw life as it really is.  What are you trying to say? he asks.  I'm trying to say something I should have realized and said a long time ago--"You see life as Catherine does" (he looks down, ashamed)--"you're so much alike--and that's the reason why you belong together."  You mustn't say these things, he insists, rising from the chair and walking to the foot of the bed.  I've got to say them, she says, because I never meant anything more in my life--you could never be completely happy with anyone but Catherine--I should have realized that long ago.  How can you blame yourself when I'm the one who's guilty? he asks sorrowfully--I cannot let you do this--if I hadn't been so blind and selfish, this never would have happened.  (Bingo, Bram.)  You mustn't feel that way, says Daphne, it's not your fault!--you've got to think about the future.  Daphne, he says, sitting beside her, taking her hand in his, there is no future without you.  Yes there will be, she assures him--there will be.  No, he says, because I'll never be able to forgive myself for this.  You've got nothing to forgive yourself for, she says--you've only got a responsibility to yourself--to make the best possible life you can.  Not without you, my darling, he laments, not without you--he kisses her hands.  I can't tell you how much I want you and Catherine to find happiness, she says.  (guilt meter to the max!)

Collinwood - Catherine comes downstairs.  Morgan meets her in the foyer.  Have you heard about Daphne? she asks.  No, he says, I'm joining the search.  Noticing she's putting on her cloak, he asks, are you going out?  Yes, she says, to the Old House.  Nothing anger on his face, she asks, does that disturb you?  It surprises me a bit, he admits--I can't understand why you would want to be with Bramwell after what he's done!  She gazes at him in stupefaction.  (He really is an idiot, isn't he?--don't tell me that wasn't a dreadful thing to say!)

What has Bramwell done? asks Catherine.  He has destroyed Daphne! insists Morgan.  I don't see how you can say anything so shocking, cries Catherine.  Bramwell is going to be there, of course? asks Morgan.  Of course, says Catherine, he's her husband!  In name only! says Morgan.  (How does he know that, and who is he to point such fingers, given that he and Catherine must be "in name only" too?)  I refuse to discuss this with you any further, insists Catherine--my sister is dying--I don't see how you can possibly think I could have anything or anyone on my mind except her.  She leaves, near tears.

Old House - Bramwell paces the drawing room, gazing upstairs, looking lost.  Catherine comes over--how is Daphne? she asks.  Getting weaker by the moment, he sadly reports--I just left her--I tried to tell her there is still hope, but she refuses to believe it.  Do you believe it? Catherine asks.  There just has to be a chance, he says desperately--if she can cling to life through the night...the specialist will be here in the morning from Boston, he'll be able to save her.  She has to have the will to live, says Catherine, without that, there's nothing any of us could do for her.  Perhaps you could make her understand, says Bramwell--I couldn't.  I'll try, says Catherine--I spent all day in my room, thinking--about her, and about us--about how different everything would have been if only one of us had behaved unselfishly--but admitting it to ourselves doesn't do any good, does it?--whatever happens, however long both of us may live, we'll always look back on this time of our lives with a sense of shame.  Bramwell closes his eyes miserably and sighs.  He watches Catherine head upstairs.

Please listen to me, Catherine, begs Daphne, it's very important--I've already said it to Bramwell, and you must hear it, too--because I love you both so, and I know you still love each other.  I can't bear to hear you talk like this, please don't, begs Catherine.  I've got to, Daphne insists, because I know how right it would have been for the two of you--you said you've been happy, but you haven't been, not really, and you never will be, without Bramwell
--you were always so much more prepared for life than I was--more than I ever could be...Catherine, she says, suddenly gasping for breath, bring Bramwell to me, please.  Catherine runs to the door--Bramwell, come upstairs!  Catherine feels Daphne's face--your fever is higher--I'll send for the doctor right away.  I only want Bramwell, says Daphne--is he coming?  He'll be here any minute, promises Catherine.  Bramwell rushes in.  Sit beside me, bids Daphne--Catherine, leave us alone for just a moment.  Catherine exits.  Bramwell, upset, notes, "You're in pain."  It won't last long, she assures him.  Of course it won't, he says--the doctor will be here soon.  I wanted to be alone with you because we have hardly had a chance to be alone, she says--I don't want you to ever feel guilty about me--because if one lives a life without love, then the life has had no meaning--but if one has had love, one's life been filled with meaning, as mine has, because I've loved you so very much--Bramwell...loved you...so very...she begins to gasp for air and passes out.
Bramwell calls her name, then screams, "Catherine!"  Speak to me, Daphne! he begs, receiving no response.  Get Dr. Fletcher immediately, he tells Catherine, who races from the room.  Bramwell kneels beside the bed and desperately buries his face in Daphne's breast.

Catherine paces the Old House drawing room.  Bramwell comes down--Daphne is in a coma, he reports--there's very little sign of life.  Oh no! cries Catherine, breaking into tears.  The doctor says there's nothing more he can do, says Bramwell.  No chance at all? she asks.  No, he doesn't believe there is, says Bramwell.
What have we done? asks Catherine--what have we done?  We have the rest of our lives to think about that, don't we? he asks.  Catherine leaves.

Collinwood - Morgan, asks Julia, is there any news?  Gabriel has done another vanishing act, he says.  Do you think we should notify the police this time? she asks.  No, Quentin and the police are out looking for him, says Morgan--if Quentin finds him, he's going to kill him.  Did Quentin tell you that? demands Julia.  Yes, says Morgan, pouring a drink, it seems that Gabriel made him promise he would do it.  I don't understand, says Julia.  Before Gabriel went into that room, explains Morgan, he made Quentin promise that if he came out mad, he would kill him--he said he'd prefer that than to turn out the way Father did--until this point, Quentin hasn't been able to bring himself to do it--now even Quentin thinks it's the best thing to do.  I'm afraid I have to agree, says Julia.  Catherine enters, very downcast.  What's the matter? asks Morgan.  Daphne's in a coma, she replies--she may never come out of it.  She turns and runs upstairs, crying.  Bramwell is responsible for this! shouts Morgan--he should have to pay!--I'll never forgive myself for not killing him when I had the chance!  Don't think of Bramwell now, advises Julia--your place is with Catherine now--you should go up and try to comfort her.  He puts down his drink and goes upstairs.

Collinwood - Melanie comes downstairs carrying the box containing her mother's keepsakes.  She enters the drawing room--Julia, she says, I want to talk to you.  Julia, busy at the desk, says, wait a while--I want to finish my correspondence.  No, now! insists Melanie--my tone shocks you, doesn't it?--little Melanie isn't supposed to have any backbone, is she?  What's happened? asks Julia.  Just before you interrupted Carrie and me last night, says Melanie, Carrie was about to tell me who my real mother was.  I don't want to discuss this anymore, says Julia.  We're going to discuss it right now, says Melanie sternly--last night you went to the Stokes' cottage and found out she did see my mother in that vision--you threatened her into lying to me, and did that because Carrie knows who my mother is--and so do you, Julia!

You've made a rather serious accusation, says Julia--I hope you're able to prove it (but she looks like she sure as hell hopes she can't).  Melanie asks, do you deny knowing who my mother is?  Yes, says Julia.  Why do you insist upon lying to me? demands Melanie--what is there about the truth that would be so damaging for you?  For the last time, says Julia, I don't know who your parents are--please, stop asking me.  You still insist the story you've been telling me all these years is true? asks Melanie--that both my parents were dead when Justin adopted me?  Julia nods--yes.  Yet Carrie says my mother is alive! says Melanie.  Julia, annoyed, reminds her--Carrie saw it in a vision--do you have faith in visions?  I have absolute faith in Carrie, says Melanie, but perhaps I don't need you to find out who and where my mother is--she sets down the box in front of Julia--if I could find out who these belong to--I would know, wouldn't I, Julia?  Julia opens the box and removes the contents and the letter.  Clearly upset, she asks Melanie, where did you find this?  The desk in Papa's study, answers Melanie.  You know you're not allowed in that room, says Julia.  You know who they belong to, don't you? asks Melanie eagerly.  No, I don't, says Julia.  Yes you do, says Melanie, I can see it in your face.  You are not allowed in Justin's room--you must never go there again, do you understand that? asks Julia.
No, I do not understand that! says Melanie, incensed, and I never will, and I'm through listening to you--I will find out what I have to know, but I will do it on my own, because I've discovered the only thing I can trust you to tell me is lies!  Melanie takes the box and leaves.  Julia looks as if she's about to cry.

9:10 - Collinwood - Morgan comes downstairs--good morning, Julia--Catherine was up most of the night but is sleeping now.  Julia, who has been sitting in front of the fireplace, rises.  He sips from a cup of coffee and notes, you seem troubled--what's the matter?  I've managed to get through another night, she says, I was just sitting here wondering how many nights there will be before we have to deal with the curse again.  I've thought about that, too, he says, sitting on the sofa.  We will have to have the lottery again, she says, and this time, I feel more certain than ever that I shall be chosen--I will have to go into the room.  I suggest you not think about that right now. he says.  Can you tell me anything more of what actually happened when you were in that room? she asks.  I suggest we both go to the room, he says--come with me.  Go into the room? she asks, nervous.  It's at night that it's dangerous, he says, we'd be perfectly safe in the daylight --come on.  He leads her away.

They go to the lottery room, Morgan holding a candle.  They enter (candles are already burning there, although we don't know how, perhaps the ghosts lit them).  Morgan hesitates at the door leading downstairs; Julia asks why.  What's there is not very pleasant, he warns--are you sure you want to go in?  We've come this far, we should go on, she says.  Very well, he agrees.  They go through the door he broke into when locked in, then enter the records room we saw in 1680.
Julia sees what is there, cries out in horror, and raises a defensive fist to her face.  No, no! she cries.

NOTES:  So what has Julia seen?  We know what Brutus did to the bodies of James and Amanda, but what is left there now after so many years?

Daphne is an angelic soul, telling both her husband and her sister that they belong together, and making sure she will die so it at least has a chance of happening.  Now, if she can only take Morgan with her, she'll see it come true!  I always mist up when Daphne speaks of living her life through dreams, of not being as realistic as Catherine, and that she has, through her love for Bramwell, given meaning to her life.  Daphne is only 23, and her reality is death.  It seems very unfair that such a sweet, loving girl should die this way, and be so generous, too.  Contrast this with the way Morgan is behaving, threatening Bramwell, asking Catherine how she can be with him, when she's only going to see her sister--well, as much as Catherine and Bramwell deserve their shame and guilt, Morgan deserves a lot of it, too!  He's behaving inexcusably.

Sad episodes.  I feel badly for Melanie, who is maturing, determined to learn who she is despite Julia's interference.  I feel sorry for Daphne, who is doomed to die.  I feel sorry for Catherine and Bramwell, who must live with their mistakes for the rest of their lives.  And even for Gabriel, who has gone mad after only half an hour in the locked room, so insane he's trying to kill members of his own family.

Love, Robin