Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0745  (Read 503 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0745
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:18:05 PM »
Robservations #745

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0745

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »
Beth saves Jenny from Quentin.  All this happens yards away from Jenny, but she never knows.  Later, down in the Old House Drawing Room... what a moment for Quentin to "propose" to Beth!  I'm murdering my first wife so I can marry you, you can thank me later!  And this is how I deal with marital problems, lucky you!  Good for Beth, protecting Jenny with her own life.   I wouldn't have expected that much from her, considering how she's spoken to Jenny.

How flexible time is for Jenny-- she sees the coffin minutes after having heard Quentin, and thinks he's inside.  She mourns him so much it's painful to watch, but she went there to kill him. 

Written by Sam Hall.  I haven't made enough notes to get across that this is a GREAT episode, and why.  Marie Wallace runs away with this episode.  She must have been exhausted afterward.  So much intensive acting in 21 minutes.  We zero in on her character, and her internal world, and we'll certainly never forget her.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
I can't agree with you more, MT. This is one of the best episodes in the series, and everyone involved generously presents it to MW on a silver platter. She deserves it.

Beth has to scream at Quentin that he'll hang if he kills Jenny. Only then does he actually listen to her. Poor Beth is really trapped. She loves Quentin (heaven knows why) and feels at least pity for Jenny, even if she's harsh with the poor madwoman sometimes. It's awful to see how callous Quentin is when he tells Magda to take Jenny's locket to a jeweler for an appraisal. He knows damned well it's Jenny's, and probably also knows damned well that his portrait is inside it.

The reunion scene with Magda and Jenny is utterly hearthbreaking and beautifully played by both MW and GH. I cried the first time I saw it, and it still makes me tear up. Even though it ends with Jenny hitting Magda with a candlestick (GH has to hang on to her heavy black wig as she goes down), Magda thinks only of protecting her.

Jenny remembers the iron door she was so curious about before. This time it’s unlocked (WHY???), and she drifts down the stairs. While upstairs, Magda tells Sandor to help her find Jenny, she goes downstairs and finds Barnabas’s coffin in the basement. (Who removed the candelabrum??? Did it clatter to the floor when Barn arose to face yet another night?) Quentin is in there, she murmurs. He’s dead! Grief-stricken she embraces the coffin briefly, then starts to open it....

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:51:39 AM »
I liked how Beth stood up to Quentin and refused to allow him to kill Jenny. Sorry to say I think there is truth in what she says....Quentin probably does believe he's above the law since he's a Collins. However he is too cowardly to risk Beth blabbing to the authorities and risk being hanged for murder (even if he does think that's a very very small possibility).

Jenny is Magda's sister! Who'd have thunk it?

I can't help but wonder why would Magda ever ever want to help Quentin with ANYTHING knowing that he probably did Jenny wrong even if she hadn't known at the time that his infidelity drove her to madness. I know she and Sandor up to this point would do anything for money, but would they really want to associate with the man that had done one of their own wrong?

Jenny won't allow Magda to badmouth Quentin and denies her gypsy heritage. I suppose it's unfair to blame her madness all on Quentin (though he certainly does bear some responsibility), I wonder if deep down it was also the shame of having to deny who she was and where she came from just so she can win the love of a man who did nothing but wrong toward her once they were married that pushed her over the edge.

Jenny finds Barnabas' coffin in the basement. Very stupid to leave it unlocked under any circumstances, I agree.

Good episode.