Author Topic: #0101/0102: Robservations 08/01/01: Roger's Evil Intentions  (Read 1294 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #101 - I have stumbled upon a secret that is both terrifying and dangerous--however, so far I am safe--as long as Roger does not suspect I know it was he who lost the pen at the spot where Mr. Malloy died.

Roger rubs his chin, pondering matters. He asks Carolyn, who is sitting at her dresser, putting her hair up, if she actually told Vicki that HE had Burke's pen the night Malloy died. You did, didn't you? asks Carolyn. Yes, I had it, he says, but I had every intention of returning it to you. But you lost it on the way to the meeting--so what? she says. Nothing, says Roger--nothing at all. Why all this fuss about that fountain pen? asks Carolyn--when I told Burke about it, he didn't seem to care very much. Of course not, why should he? asks Roger--but you actually told Vicki in so many words that I was the last person to have the pen before Malloy's death. I don't think I put it exactly like that, says Carolyn, turning to look at him--what has Burke's fountain pen got to do with Mr. Malloy's death? Not a thing, says Roger. I've got it, says Carolyn, that pen wasn't really a pen at all, but a secret weapon that spies use! Don't be ridiculous, says Roger. Bill Malloy was a double agent working for the Reds, she continues, warming to the idea, and that fountain pen was...a hypodermic needle containing a deadly poison that you make yourself down in that locked room in the basement! Roger sits down and glares at her. Don't jest about the death of a man, he says. Carolyn laughs, then apologizes--I'm just so tired of seeing long faces around this house, she complains, right now I'm very happy--I have a date, and I'm going to have a good time--and I can't be bothered about what I said to Vicki about a pen! Roger looks at her, then half smiles. Of course, he says, you shouldn't be. He goes to the window and looks out, preoccupied.

Carolyn goes to her uncle and asks if he likes her hair this way. Very nice, he says. Do you think Burke will like it? she asks. I'm sure he will, says Roger. You don't really object to my going out with him? says Carolyn. Would it make any difference if I did? he asks. No, she says, but it would be nice to have somebody approve of something I did, for once. That's asking too much, he says, lying down on her sofa-chair--in all good conscience, I can't approve of anything Burke does. She pats her hair, admiring her reflection--maybe I'm just going out with him to find out what he's up to, she suggests--like a secret agent. In all seriousness, he says, remember one thing--Burke is not a man to play around with. What makes you think I'm playing around with him? she asks. Perhaps you're not, says Roger, but did it ever occur he might be playing around with you? I don't believe it, she says, but even if he is, we ought to have a lot of fun. Where did you say Vicki was? asks Roger. I didn't say, says Carolyn--she went into town to run some errands. Did she say who she was going to see? he asks. Nope, she says, for all I know, she was going to the post office or the Collinsport Coffee Shop for a soda--I didn't ask. The Collinsport Inn, muses Roger darkly. Don't get in such a tizzy--she'll be back very soon, says Carolyn. How do you know she will? asks Roger. Because she promised me faithfully to have that car back in time for me to leave for my date with Burke, she says. Are you sure she didn't mention any particular place she might be going? he asks. Of course I'm sure, she says--just be patient. I'm afraid I've been patient for too long, he says, I have to find out where Miss Vicki Winters is right away--and he leaves. Carolyn watches him go, then resumes putting on her makeup, powdering her pretty cheeks with a huge powder puff.

David stands in the foyer, drawing on a piece of paper. Roger comes down, coat over his arm, and asks if he's seen Miss Winters. Yes, he says. Where is she? asks Roger. How should I know? asks David. I just this minute asked if you'd seen her, says Roger, annoyed. I have, this morning when we did lessons, he says. Haven't you seen her since? asks Roger. I saw her driving out in Carolyn's car, says David. How long ago? asks Roger. I don't remember, says David. Listen carefully, says Roger--did you hear any particular place she might have gone? Yes, into town, says David. But where in town? persists Roger. She didn't say, David tells him. Roger, annoyed, puts on his hat and coat. Would you like to see a picture I was drawing? asks David. Not at the moment, says Roger, I have more important things to do. (Supportive father?) This is important, too, says David--it shows what's going to happen to the man who killed Mr. Malloy. Roger takes the picture--a hanging man.
They don't hang people anymore, says Roger icily--not in this state, anyway. That's too bad, says David. Roger leaves without another word, but grimaces at his son. (Ever the sweetheart is David.) Once Roger is gone, David opens the drawing room door and calls in, "Miss Winters, you can come out now." Vicki exits the drawing room, relief on her face.

Why didn't you want my father to see you? asks David. No reason, really, I'm in a hurry, says Vicki. You heard what he asked--he's looking for you, says David. I know, says Vicki. Why--did you do something wrong? he asks her. I don't think so, says Vicki--thank you for not giving me away. I wouldn't give anybody away that my father was after, he says--no matter who it was, I'd help them. Vicki smiles. Maybe someday I can do a favor for you, she suggests. You can, he says. Name it, she says. You can go to the Old House with me and see if Mr. Malloy's ghost is still there. I'm not at all sure I did see a ghost, she says, I may have dreamt the whole thing. But this way you could be positive, he says. I didn't see Mr. Malloy at the Old House, she reminds him--you know perfectly well where I did see him. That was special, says David, and if he's anywhere, he'd want to be at the Old House (the hot spot for ghost to congregate). Why? asks Vicki. Because that's where his friends are, the other ghosts, he says. You have a wild imagination, says Vicki, smiling a bit. You said you'd do a favor for me, he says. All right, I will, she promises, but not right now. Thanks, Miss Winters, he says. She goes upstairs while he gazes at his drawing.

Carolyn is looking over dresses she's thrown on her bed. She holds one against herself and hates it. (So do I.) Vicki knocks. Come in, orders Carolyn, pulling her inside--maybe you can help me. All right, says Vicki, I just wanted to return your car keys and say thank you. Carolyn instructs her to put the keys on the dresser, then asks her what she honestly thinks she should wear on her date with Burke tonight. Is that still on? ass Vicki. Why shouldn't it be? asks Carolyn. No reason, replies Vicki, I just thought, well, I don't know, that your mother or Uncle Roger found out about it. Carolyn grins--Uncle Roger did find out about it and was dead set against it at first--but then he calmed down. He didn't object? asks Vicki, surprised. Uncle Roger objects to Burke on general principles, says Carolyn. How did he find out? asks Vicki. How do you suppose? asks Carolyn sourly--that little snoop of a cousin of mine--hears all, tells all--OK, Vicki, what do you think? she asks, turning around to model the dress she had on when Vicki came in. She holds another dress against her and asks which one Vicki likes. I like them both, says Vicki. So do I, says Carolyn, but which do you think Burke will like better? Knowing Burke, says Vicki, and I don't know him very well, I should think he'd like the one you have on (which has a sparkly collar and is otherwise plain and long-sleeved). Good, says Carolyn, if I change now, I'll have to re-do my hair. What time are you meeting him? asks Vicki. I have plenty of time, says Carolyn. It's strange that your uncle did object to your going out with Burke, comments Vicki. I don't know, he just sort of lost interest in it all of a sudden--I know what it was--he suddenly got much more interested in where you were. Did you tell him where I was? asks Vicki. Of course not, I didn't know, says Carolyn, putting on earrings--I told him you went to run an errand--as a matter of fact, where did you go? To the drugstore, lies Vicki. They deliver, you know, says Carolyn. I didn't know what I wanted, says Vicki, what shade of lipstick I wanted. What shade did you get? Asks Carolyn excitedly. I didn't get one at all, replies Vicki, I couldn't find a shade I liked. I keep thinking maybe I'll try a lighter one, says Carolyn. David listens outside the door. The darker ones are coming back in, says Vicki. I'm glad, says Carolyn, I really think it suits me better. Do you know why Roger wanted to see me? asks Vicki. What? asks Carolyn, distracted as she surveys her reflection, let me think...yes, it had something to do with that fountain pen Burke gave me--as soon as I told him I told you about it, he lost interest in everything else. You told him I knew that he'd lost it? asks Vicki in consternation. Sure, why not? asks Carolyn.
Vicki closes the bedroom door and locks it, blocking off David. What did he say? asks Vicki, concerned, sitting in a chair beside her. Nothing at all, says Carolyn--oh, he got a little sore because I made a crack about it being a secret weapon, saying it had something to do with Bill Malloy's death. Vicki, upset, asks if he seemed alarmed. No, just upset that I'd make a joke about anything that happened that night, says Carolyn. I guess I shouldn't have, really--but it's all over and done with now, I can't keep mourning forever, can I? (She barely mourned at all, superficial little heiress.) She puts on some perfume. Of course not, agrees Vicki. Why didn't you run into Uncle Roger, you must have passed each other? says Carolyn. I guess I came in the back way, says Vicki, when he was going out the front. That's too bad--anyway, he's looking for you, says Carolyn--if you had sat still and waited, he'd have seen you much sooner. I guess he thought he'd see me coming up the hill in your car, suggests Vicki. For once, he was wrong and I was right, exults Carolyn. Yes, says Vicki, is your mother in the house? No, she and Mrs. Johnson went down to have a chat with Matthew, says Carolyn. Vicki fiddles with Carolyn's record player. Is she coming back soon? asks Vicki. I'd say so, Mrs. Johnson has to get dinner ready, says Carolyn--she watches her pacing friend and asks what she's so nervous about. I'm not nervous at all, says Vicki. Whatever it is, you are, you're making me terribly nervous, says Carolyn, I think I'd better find David, anyway, says Vicki, opening the door. If you do see him, hit him over the head for me, will you? asks Carolyn--preferably with a crowbar. David has gone by the time Vicki leaves the room, but the young woman is terrified.

Blue Whale - Roger enters the bar. He goes to the phone, drops in a dime and dials Sam. By any chance, is Vicki at your place? He asks--no, I just wanted to see her--if she should drop in, tell her I want to see her--it's urgent--you can reach me at Collinwood. He hangs up. The bartender is putting tablecloths on the tables as Roger leaves.

Collinwood - Vicki closes the double doors and dials the phone, asking for Burke Devlin--try the coffee shop, she says, impatiently jiggling the phone wire--he might be in there--I see--no, no message. She opens the drawing room doors and peers out, then starts to walk back upstairs. Someone knocks, and she cautiously opens the door. It's Maggie. Vicki is thrilled to see her. What were you so upset about in the coffee shop? asks Maggie. I didn't know it showed, says Vicki. You don't usually leave without taking your bag, do you? asks Maggie, handing over Vicki's purse. I didn't even miss it! says Vicki, amazed, and invites Maggie in--that was really nice of you to come all this way and bring my bag, I guess I'd have missed it sooner or later. Maggie removes her coat and sits beside Vicki on the sofa--you didn't answer my question, says Maggie, what was bugging you? I don't think I can tell you, says Vicki. If it's like that, you have to tell me, insists Maggie. It's not safe to have this kind of knowledge, says Vicki--it's about how Bill Malloy died. Maggie's good humor disappears. What do you know about it? she asks. I think I know more about it than anyone else in Collinsport, says Vicki. I don't get it--how? asks Maggie. I found something that proves Bill Malloy's death was not an accident, says Vicki. I thought that was settled once and for all, says Maggie.
David exits the kitchen and comes to eavesdrop on the girls. So did I, says Vicki, but we were wrong. What kind of proof did you find? asks Maggie. That's not important, says Vicki, the important thing is, Bill Malloy was murdered! Is that all you know? asks Maggie. No, I think I know who killed him, says Vicki. Who? asks Maggie. I can't tell you that, says Vicki, there isn't enough evidence for a judge and jury, but there's enough for me--and there's a motive, too. I don't think you have the right to go around saying things like that, says Maggie, standing, her voice and face cold. What do you mean? asks Vicki. You know perfectly well what I mean, says Maggie. Vicki stands, too. I don't understand you, she tells Maggie. And I don't understand you, says Maggie--you pussyfoot around, pretending to be so friendly with everyone, and all you succeed in doing is stirring up trouble--as a matter of fact, all the trouble in Collinsport started the day you arrived. Burke Devlin arrived back that same day, says Vicki. That has nothing to do with it, says Maggie. At that moment, Carolyn catches David listening in and grabs his arm. Caught ya this time, didn't I! shouts Carolyn. David screams for her to let him go. What's going on out here, asks Vicki, exiting the drawing room with Maggie right behind her. I just caught him red-handed, says Carolyn, standing and listening to your conversation--it's just what he must have been doing this afternoon when we were talking about my date--then you have to go and blab everything to Uncle Roger. I did not! says David, and I wasn't listening, and I didn't tell my father anything! If I didn't feel so good, says Carolyn, still holding onto him, I could really belt you one! You wouldn't dare! he taunts. Don't tempt me, she warns him, and he wriggles out of her grasp and races into the kitchen. Come back here, orders Vicki. Let him go, says Carolyn, grabbing her coat off the foyer table--how are you, Maggie? I'm fine, replies Maggie. Carolyn twirls around, asking if she looks all right. You look lovely, says Maggie--do you have a special date? Very special, says Carolyn, grinning, and bids them good night. Ask Burke to phone me, will you? Vicki asks her--it's very important. Carolyn looks at her and repeats, sarcastically--ask Burke to call you--of course, Vicki, you know I will--good night! And Carolyn leaves. Vicki walks past a stone faced Maggie and into the drawing room.

Roger enters Collinwood through a back door.

Maggie tells Vicki she isn't going to leave until Vicki tells her who she suspects. Don't you understand? asks Vicki, if I tell you, you'll be in the same danger I am. What danger? asks Maggie. If the killer knows that I know about him, says Vicki, do you think he's going to sit by and wait for me to go to the police? What are you trying to do, get yourself killed so you'll have more evidence? asks Maggie. Of course not, says Vicki, going to the piano to thumb listlessly through a magazine. Why don't you come home with me? suggests Maggie--my Pop's there and--he's not the one you're talking about is he? Vicki turns to he and says don't be silly. You act so funny about the whole thing, says Maggie. It's just that I promised someone I wouldn't say anything until the right time, says Vicki. Who did you promise? asks Maggie. Burke Devlin, says Vicki. Burke? says Maggie, you didn't have to promise him anything. Yes I did, says Vicki, you see, he's mixed up in it. Burke's been mixed up in everything ever since that accident, says Maggie. That's just it--Bill Malloy's death is connected with that accident, says Vicki. You mean all that stuff he told us at my house was true? asks Maggie. It could be, says Vicki. But he included my Pop in that, says Maggie. Roger exits the kitchen and listens.
I don't know about that part of it, says Vicki, all I know is, that the murderer left a clue, and doesn't even realize it. What clue? asks Maggie. A fountain pen, replies Vicki, I found it at Lookout Point. You certainly should go see the sheriff about that, advises Maggie. I can't, says Vicki, not yet--I shouldn't even have told you. Don't worry about me, says Maggie, my lips are sealed--I just wish you'd trust me. I do, Vicki assures her, I really do, but I told you how dangerous is could be. Do you want me to stay here with you? asks Maggie. Roger returns to the kitchen. No, I'll be all right, Vicki says. I ought to get home and start dinner, says Maggie. You go ahead, says Vicki, and thanks for bringing back my bag. I still wish you'd come with me, says Maggie. I can't, says Vicki. Is it because you can't trust my Pop? asks Maggie. Oh, no, says Vicki, it's not that at all--I'm going upstairs and locking myself in my room until Mrs. Stoddard comes back. She opens the double doors and they step outside. You're braver than I am, says Maggie--still, I guess you're as safe here as you would be anywhere else. She ought to be back pretty soon, says Vicki. I thought she never left the place, says Maggie. She hasn't gone off the grounds, just to Matthew's house, says Vicki. I could call my Pop and tell him I have something to do, says Maggie. No, please don't, says Vicki. I think you're a nut, says Maggie. Maybe you're right, chuckles Vicki. Remember when we first met, reminisces Maggie, before you first came up to Collinwood, and I told you that I thought you were crazy to come here? I remember, says Vicki. Well I still think so, says Maggie. Roger leans back against the wall (where Barnabas' portrait will one day hang), lying in wait for Vicki. Bye bye, the girls say, and Vicki closes the doors. We hear a car start. Vicki wanders into the foyer.
Roger grabs her around the waist and curls his hand over her mouth. "Don't cry out--don't make a sound," he warns. .

NOTES: I remember my heart pounding the first time I saw this scene! Is Vicki going to end up another casualty at Collinwood? They have made Roger appear guilty, certainly Malloy's murderer. What terror does this mean for Vicki? If I were her, I'd have gone home with Maggie and waited until I knew Liz was in the house to come home. Sticking around, allowing Roger to entrap her, was a bad idea. It was cool the way they built suspense until Roger actually gets Vicki, literally, in his grasp.

Carolyn thinks Roger is impatient because he has romantic feelings toward Vicki--if she only knew!

Carolyn looks a lot better--and older--in the black dress she wore the other day. How will her date with Burke turn out, with her looking so stunning?

Maggie's concern was for her father, and once she knew he wasn't Vicki's suspect, her friendliness returned. She's a nice girl and a good friend, and she's probably thrilled to hear Carolyn is dating Burke--leaving Joe free at last.

Episode #102 - The one person at Collinwood I have reason to fear is Roger Collins--he has discovered that I know his guilty secret--and now Roger has discovered me, alone in the house.

Vicki struggles in Roger's grasp. I had to do that, he tells her, so you couldn't call out for your little friend to come back--do you understand? Vicki nods. If I take my hand away now, will you promise not to scream--it won't do you any good anyway, you know, we're the only ones in this house. Vicki nods. Roger slowly removes his hand, pushes Vicki into the drawing room and closes the doors. Vicki backs away, scared. Roger advances toward her and she backs away. Please don't do anything silly, he says, you don't honestly think you can escape from me, do you? Vicki stands behind a chair. What do you want? she asks. You think I killed Bill Malloy, don't you? he asks. I don't think anything, she says, darting away from him. If you really think that, he says, you must be petrified with fear right now, because if I killed him, then I would surely have to kill you, too, wouldn't I? Vicki is terrified. Be reasonable, says Roger, if I'd have meant to harm you, I'd have already done it--I must talk to you, and I didn't want you to call out and bring that little counter girl (always the snob!) back. What can you possibly say to me? demands Vicki. What I hope you want to hear, he says. About Bill Malloy? she asks. Yes, he says--they say confession is good for the soul--well, my soul needs purifying--I want to tell you exactly what happened that night. What do you expect me to do after you've told me? asks Vicki. That's for you to decide, he says, all I ask is that you hear the whole story--agreed? All right, she says cautiously. He gestures to the sofa; she sits down. As you recall, he says, the last time you came downstairs that night, I was on the telephone, and you interrupted. He clasps his hands together. I remember, you were very annoyed, says Vicki. Because I hadn't yet decided what to do about Malloy, says Roger--you see, I was talking to him on the phone when you came in--I'd just asked him to meet me at Lookout Point before that meeting, and he had agreed. You made an appointment to meet him there? asks Vicki. Yes, says Roger, that would have made it look bad for me, wouldn't it?--the sheriff would have undoubtedly thought all my actions were pre-meditated. Weren't they? asks Vicki. He sits beside her. All I wanted to do, he says sincerely, was talk to Malloy and convince him how wrong he was, that Burke was filling him with a pack of lies. I see, says Vicki. You said that I was in this house at 10:30, he says--you were quite right, I left directly after that and went to Lookout Point. But you convinced me, accuses Vicki, you even had me go to the sheriff and said you couldn't have left for another 15 minutes! Can you blame me? asks Roger--no matter what you think, I did it to protect my sister--she had been through all that messy court business 10 years ago, and I didn't want to subject her to it again--I didn't think of myself. And you saw Bill Malloy? asks Vicki. Yes, he says, I saw him--he stands--I think I'll have another drink--will you join me? No, she says. He pours a drink and takes a slug. You see, he says, that's when I lost the pen you found.
Vicki stands, trembling.

At the Old House, David, armed with a flashlight, lights a candle and sets it up under Josette's portrait, making it glow. It's me, David Collins, he says, can you hear me, great-great grandmother? Aren't you going to talk to me tonight, the way you usually do?--well, it doesn't matter, because I know you're somewhere around here--I have something very important to tell you--Mr. Malloy was murdered--it wasn't an accident like they tried to make me believe--Miss Winters has evidence that proves to her it was my father!--I heard her telling Miss Evans. Is Mr. Malloy with you now?--because if he is, there's something I'd like you to ask him for me.

Blue Whale - Burke and Carolyn enjoy their dinner. Well, my blonde beauty, he says, how did you avoid the castle guards to get here? Naturally I just made myself invisible and walked right through them, she jokes. I wish you'd teach me that trick, he says. As a matter of fact, I thought it was going to be difficult there for a minute, she says, my Uncle Roger has radar eyes, you know. He caught you dropping out of the second story tower, did he? asks Burke. Carolyn laughs. Nothing as exciting as that, she says, he came storming into my room and threatened me with all sorts of things if I kept our date tonight. How did he find out about it? asks Burke. David, says Carolyn. My friend, David, says Burke, taking another bite. David is such a good friend of yours that he was very angry I was going to see you tonight, she says, since he's been forbidden to--he thinks it's unfair--so he took his case to a higher court--his father. Burke laughs. I can imagine Roger's reaction, says Burke. He was furious, agrees Carolyn. But you batted your beautiful eyelashes and he succumbed to your charms, teases Burke. Would you? asks Carolyn. I surrender, he says. Just like that? she asks--I thought you'd at least put up a good fight. Why should I put up a fight? asks Burke--when it's so pleasant to surrender. She looks at him seriously and says she wishes she knew if he was just teasing her or what. For what reason would I be teasing you? he asks. Just a thought I had, she says. You were surprised by my phone call, he says. Absolutely bowled over, she admits. I told you I would, he says. I know, but I thought it was something you just say, she tells him, you know, like I'll be seeing you. I am seeing you, he says, and I like what I see. I like what I see, too, she says softly. Good, he says--you know what we're going to do tonight?--make a night of it--finish our dinner, go to a nice, quiet place, have a few drinks, dance, talk of nothing but ourselves--how does that sound?

I wish you would come down and talk to me the way you usually do, David begs Josette's portrait--there's nobody else here, just me. Well, I guess you know best, but I know Mr. Malloy was with you somewhere, wherever you are--please ask him what it was my father did that Miss Winters found out about?--I'd ask her myself, but she wouldn't tell me, and if I ask my father, he'd probably kill me like he killed Mr. Malloy.

Matthew Morgan, holding a lantern high, approaches the front door of the Old House and goes in.

You see, my father might talk Miss Winters out of telling anyone she knows, David earnestly tells the portrait--but he won't be able to talk me out of it. Hearing a sound, David swiftly flicks his hand on the candle flame, dousing it, and hides behind a chair. Matthew comes in, closing the doors behind him. He picks up a piece of wood, asking who's in here--no use to hide, I saw lights, I know someone's here, you might as well tell me--who is it? It's me, says David, standing. What are you doing here? demands Matthew. I've come to see my friend, says David. You got friends here? asks Matthew. Sure, all around me, says David. Matthew looks around, and says he doesn't see anyone. They don't let just anybody see them, says David, as if it's the most natural thing in the world. What are you talkin' about? asks Matthew. Josette Collins, the lady in white, says David, gazing at the portrait, and another girl--and there's a younger girl like Miss Winters. I don't believe in such things, insists Matthew. That's why they don't let you see them, says David--you have to BELIEVE. The only thing I believe is you better get out of here, says Matthew sourly, walking away. I had to come and ask my friend to protect Miss Winters, says David. Who's trying to hurt her? asks Matthew. The person who killed Mr. Malloy, says David. Matthew chuckles rawly. What?--Mr. Malloy wasn't murdered, he says, he slipped and fell, everybody knows that. That's not true, says David, climbing up to sit on a box--Miss Winters even knows who it was. How does she know? asks Matthew. I don't know exactly, says David, but she's found something that proved to her that Mr. Malloy was murdered--and she knows who it was. Did she tell you who it was? asks Matthew. She didn't have to tell me, says David, I already knew--it was my father. Is that what Miss Winters said? asks Matthew. That's what she meant, replies David. What doesn't she go to the police? asks the caretaker. She's probably trying to find out more about it, says David--but I'm afraid--he might find out what she knows and try to hurt her! I wouldn't like to see that happen, says Matthew quietly. Then you'll help me watch over her? says David. I'll do what I can, promises Matthew--is anyone else know what Miss Winters knows--did she tell anyone? I don't think so, says David, otherwise they would have come to arrest my father already--you will help me protect her, won't you, Matthew? I'll do that, Matthew says. Good, says David, jumping down from the box, then I can get going now. I'll go, too, says Matthew, and follows David out of the house, David showing the way with his flashlight.
We see Josette's ghost materialize and climb down from the portrait. She stands in the middle of the room and turns to stare at her portrait.

Burke, still chewing, wipes his mouth and asks Carolyn, "How do you feel about going on the town now?" I feel ready for just about anything, says Carolyn. Because when I bring you home tonight, your Uncle Roger isn't going to take it lightly, warns Burke. I don't think we have to worry about Uncle Roger, says Carolyn, moving he drink in circles--he's much more concerned about other things right now--I think he's interested in Vicki, seriously. Burke pops a cigarette into his mouth, but takes it out to ask, "What makes you say that? He wanted to know where she'd gone this afternoon, just because she had some errand in town--he couldn't even wait for her to come home, he went driving off right after her." Burke lights his cigarette. Roger and Vicki, that's an unusual combination, opines Burke. Not so unusual, really, says Carolyn, I guess they're both pretty lonely. So Roger went looking for her, says Burke. Yes, and the gunny thing about it was, she was right there in the house, says Carolyn, they must have just missed each other. Why was he so anxious to see her? asks Burke. You ought to know better than to ask me a question like that, teases Carolyn. Why was he so upset? asks Burke. I thought we were going to forget about Uncle Roger and the rest of the family for the night, she reminds him, annoyed. We are, Burke assures her, I just don't want you to get in trouble when I bring you home tonight--how you say Roger was pursuing little Miss Muffet--Vicki--hm? Yes, laughs Carolyn, and it all had to do with that pen you gave me--the one Uncle Roger lost. What about it? asks Burke, no longer smiling. The minute I mentioned to him that I had told you... Burke interrupts--You mentioned to Roger that Vicki knew he lost the pen?
Yes, says Carolyn, why not? You're quite right, why not? says Burke casually, but he suddenly has a phone call to make--business--I'll be right back. Please don't be too long, she says. I won't be, he assures her, and takes her hand for a moment. She gazes at him, then takes a drink as if needing to put out an internal fire.

Drawing room, Collinwood - Roger finishes his drink. You saw Bill Malloy before the meeting? Vicki asks him. Yes, says Roger, I saw him--but he didn't see me. You mean you...? asks Vicki. You promised I could tell you the whole story, says Roger. Yes, says Vicki. I left the house, continues Roger, and went to a place where the road is nearest to Lookout Point--I got out of the car and walked toward the Point--I didn't see Malloy at first--not until I looked down below--there he was on the beach--I scrambled down as fast as I could, but there was no point in it--you see, Vicki, he was already dead. He was dead when you got there, says Vicki. Roger nods--it must have been just as the sheriff and the coroner had decided he'd slipped and knocked himself unconscious on a rock and drowned--the water couldn't have been more than two or three feet deep. Why didn't you say anything? asks Vicki, incredulous. Who would have believed me? asks Roger--I had motive, as they say, and I had the opportunity. Vicki thinks it over. I don't know, she says. Even you don't believe me, says Roger. I didn't say that, insists Vicki--it's just so much to take in--are you sure he was dead? Quite sure, says Roger. Could you tell how long he'd been dead? she asks. As far as I could tell, says Roger, it must have happened just before I got there--he couldn't have been dead more than 10 minutes. This is all so new, says Vicki, I can't quite grasp it. You thought I killed him, didn't you? asks Roger. I don't know, says Vicki. I didn't, says Roger, you must believe that--I did not kill Bill Malloy. The phone rings, and Vicki runs to answer. It's Burke. Listen very carefully, he says tersely, I think you're in great danger--don't interrupt--pretend you're talking to Maggie Evans--got that? Yes, Maggie, says Vicki. Are you all right? asks Burke. Yes, I am, she answers. Are you alone right now? he asks. No, she says. Is Roger with you? asks Burke. That's right, she replies. Don't do anything to let Roger know, warns Burke, but Carolyn told him that you discovered he was the one who lost the pen at Lookout Point. Yes, Maggie, that's right, says Vicki. Now, listen, you find some way to sneak out of the house, he instructs her, you hear me?--I'll get rid of Carolyn and send a cab to pick you up at the outer gate--can you do that? I'll try, says Vicki, but Maggie, I think we're making a mistake.
No, says Burke, let me do the thinking, please, Vicki do as I say! All right, says Vicki, good night, Maggie. She hangs up. What did Maggie want? asks Roger. She wants to talk about the portrait of the Hanscomb girl, says Vicki. That's unimportant, says Roger, I want to know what you think of what I just told you. I don't know what I think, she says, I'm very confused right now--I think I'd like to sleep on it. Yes, says Roger, that would be a good idea--you do that. Good night, she says. Good night, sleep well, he says. She opens the doors and looks back at him. Roger, dejected, finishes the last of his drink.

Burke returns to the table and tells Carolyn she's going to have him drawn, quartered and thrown to the lions--that was Blair--I have a business meeting in 10 minutes. I knew it was too good to be true, says Carolyn. Another time, promise? he asks, slipping her coat over her shoulders. I should be furious, she tells him. You have every right to be, he says. But I'm not, not really, I enjoyed it, she tells him, going to the door. Will I really see you again soon? she asks. Unless you deliberately avoid me, he says, his hands on her arms. I don't think I could do that, she assures him, would you walk me to my car? Of course, he says, and they leave the bar.

Vicki comes downstairs at Collinwood, wearing her trench coat. Roger is sitting on the drawing room sofa, and she watches as he passes by the door, but he, intent on pouring another drink, doesn't spot her. She slips out the kitchen exit.
We see her standing outside, rubbing her arms against the chill, walking away from Collinwood.

NOTES: Will Vicki get away safely? Is Roger the innocent he claims to be? He's such a good liar, but his story sounds plausible, and perhaps he seemed guilty because he feared that, between motive and opportunity, he would be in a spot from which he couldn't extricate himself nor prove his innocence. We've heard Roger lie smoothly and with sincerity before--is he telling the truth now?

Josette came down from the portrait after Matthew and David left. Will she protect Vicki if it becomes necessary?

Carolyn is totally in love, or at least completely in infatuation. I think Joe is a goner as far as their relationship is concerned. However, Burke is playing Carolyn like a fish on a hook, using his charm as the bait. She's young and it's easy, and he's going to break her heart--but perhaps she deserves it after her treatment of Joe? Only you can decide.

Matthew is creepy. He asked David far too many questions about what Vicki knows. Why, especially since David said told him that Roger is guilty? What's going on in Matthew's head?

Love, Robin