Author Topic: Episode Numbering & DVD questions  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Episode Numbering & DVD questions
« on: December 27, 2003, 05:06:28 PM »
I'll start with the easy one first.

1. I know on the MPI VHS tapes, the first several tapes were cut--the stuff with Carolyn and Buzz and Jason, etc. didn't make it. Is that footage intact on the DVDs?

2. I am in the process of purging my videos and am trying to avoid duplication where I have VHS and DVD with the same material. However, the numbering systems are screwy. Is there a source out there that lists what episode #s are covered by the MPI tapes (using the same numbering system as what's on the MPI DVDs?

There was probably a much easier way to articulate all of that, but hoping I was clear enough.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Re:Episode Numbering & DVD questions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 08:04:03 PM »
1. I know on the MPI VHS tapes, the first several tapes were cut--the stuff with Carolyn and Buzz and Jason, etc. didn't make it. Is that footage intact on the DVDs?

The episodes on the DVDs which contain these storylines are completely unedited from what I've seen.

Can't help you with the second one, sorry.  :(

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 08:31:38 PM »
Hi!

Pomegranate Press published a book called the DARK SHADOWS EPISODE GUIDE, which listed every episode, its original number, airdate, and on which MPI VHS volume it appeared.  I believe this guide was reprinted in DARK SHADOWS MEMORIES (the book with the David Henesy interview).

Regards,

John

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 08:38:34 PM »
I think you mean the DS PROGRAM GUIDE, John.

The only online source I can think of is the DS Episode Guide at http://www.darkshadows.com/cgi-bin/eg.pl.  Scroll down a little to where the episode numbers are listed in order, and clicking on each gives you the MPI volume in which it appears.  Sorry, can't think of anything else on the net.

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 08:41:06 PM »
Good to know they're complete.

And nope on the Dark Shadows Memories book having the MPI volume #s :( I checked there already.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 09:47:13 PM »
Pomegranate Press published a book called the DARK SHADOWS EPISODE GUIDE, which listed every episode, its original number, airdate, and on which MPI VHS volume it appeared.  I believe this guide was reprinted in DARK SHADOWS MEMORIES (the book with the David Henesy interview).

The Shadows Memories book does not show the listing of the episodes by tape, but the DS Episode Guide does. The DVDs have unedited episodes unlike Vol.s 1-8 of the VHS; those episodes were complete on the "Blue Tapes" aka the Collector's Series as well. The main difference is that the DVDs does not include the little "bonus" seconds on the "Blue Tapes" that is bascially Vicky, David, Bob Costello whoever setting up that's episodes taping. As far as the numbering, the DS Episode Guide uses the same correct numbering to show what episodes that are on a given tape, as they are numbered on the DVDs. If you go to MPI's webiste, they tell you what numbers of episodes from this system are on a given box. The tapes had 5 episodes each, the DVDs have 40 each. (Shelf saving, eh?  ;)) I would highly suspect the DS Episode guide will be reissued with both numbering for VHS and DVD eventually. However, it will take a few years before all the DVDs are issued. The reason the numbering system may seem "screwy" is that some numbers were skipped or combined, like say 861/862 for days when now show aired. I have never been able to figure out the numbering SciFi used, but it didn't correspond to MPI's. I believe they used a numbering for sydication purposes. Anyway, to summarize, the book is essential to collecting the tapes and episodes.
    The guide has a few errors, but none in the numbering. The only mistakes in the book are where its off a few times on who does the opening narration or a character appearing. I hope this helps.  :D
   Cyrus aka Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 11:17:51 PM »
There's a videotape index in the Millennium Edition of the "Dark Shadows Almanac".
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 09:30:03 PM »
Good lord, so there is! I finally found it. Thank you very much. Now I know what can go and what will be staying. Many, many thanks!