Author Topic: Record producer Charles Randolph Grean, 1913 - 2003  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Record producer Charles Randolph Grean, 1913 - 2003
« on: December 26, 2003, 05:41:28 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/25/nyregion/25GREA.html

(full article below)

Grean co-wrote and recorded "Quentin's Theme" as the Charles Randolph Grean Sounde.

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
Charles Randolph Grean
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 06:04:54 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Sadly, it has been reported that Charles Randolph Grean passed away this past Saturday at the age of 90. For those of you who are not familiar with Mr. Grean's Dark Shadows connection, he produced and recorded several of the musical scores for some of the more popular songs associated with the show. Including: Quentin's Theme, Josette's Music Box, #1 at the Blue Whale and Back at the Blue Whale.

I had the pleasure and opportunity to get to know Mr. Grean a little bit personally, and would like to share some of those memories with you all here. Back in the mid 1990's I was on a quest to locate the 45 rpm version of Josette's Music Box. It is a very rare recording, and at that time if you could find someone willing to part with a copy, it sold for in upwards of $200.00-$250.00 in the collectable marketplace. I had no luck in locating this elusive 45 rpm record, so I decided to attempt to contact Mr. Grean himself to see if he could help me.

In the spring of 1996 I located a NYC phone number for him and called that number. I spoke with his wife at that number and she explained to me that she produced a soap opera in NYC and that they kept an apartment in Manhattan for that reason, and that "Charlie" was in Connecticut. I explained my dilemma to her and she in turn gave me the address and phone number to their home in Connecticut and told me to call him there.  I called him and he was very gracious over the phone.  We talked for quite a while and I asked him about the Josette's Music Box 45 rpm record. He said that he didn't think he had a copy, but would check. I asked him if I could send him some Quentin's Theme sheet music to autograph, and he said he was going on vacation, but to send it and he would sign it when he returned.

I sent the sheet music and a short letter to him, and a few weeks later I received it back from Mr. Grean autographed, along with a note that read: Bob- Happened to come in from vacation to pick up mail. Call me when you get here-I might be around. I had J.Music Box on an album I made-But no single as yet. Charlie

I had mentioned in my letter, that along with a few friends, I would be in NYC that August for a 30th ann. party for Dark Shadows at the LeBar Bat restaurant, and that afterwards several friends and I would be driving up to the Norwalk for a few days.(Mr. Grean lives less then 10 minutes from Norwalk) I thought it was nice that he had told me to give him a call.

Well, a few months passed and I flew out east for the DS event at the LeBar Bat. I did bring Mr. Grean's phone number with me, but I really didn't think anything would come of it. I had talked to him on one other occassion after receiving the sheet music back and prior to flying out east. At that time we talked about possibily getting together for lunch at the Three Bears Restaurant. ( A D.S. related location. It was used for scenes in House of Dark Shadows) Mr. Grean lived a short distance from the restaurant, and said that if he was in town when we arrived, it would be a good place to get together.

I called him the day after the party fully expecting either no one to answer, or for him to say he couldn't get together. Instead I was totally surprised when he invited my friends and me to come to his house!!

When we arrived at his house he was outside to meet us. As we approached him I noticed his left hand was behind his back, and as I introduced myself and extended my hand to shake his right hand, he took his other hand out from behind his back and said "This is for you Bob" and handed me a short stack of records. It turns out this short stack of records was not one, not two but THREE 45 rpm recording of Josette's Music Box!! I was totally stunned. He had not mentioned to me over the phone that he had located the record, and to present me with three MINT copies was a total shock. He invited my friends and I into his home where he presented each one of them with their own copy of Josette's Music Box 45rpm record! Needless to say, we were all thrilled. Not only were we meeting a legendary music composer, who by the way had been invited to White House and photographed with Presidents; Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, & Nixon, but here he was giving us these very rare recordings! He explained to us that after talking with me, he went digging through his closets for old boxes of 45's and came across these, amongst others. We learned that Mr. Grean wrote music for several t.v. shows, including Star Trek. My friend Rick, who is an avid collector of t.v. themes, asked MR. Grean about a certain recording he had done for Star Trek. Rick said he had been searching for it for years with no luck. Mr. Grean went over to his closet and pulled out a box of 45's. He thumbed through them and found the record Rick was asking about. He took it out and GAVE it to him. Rick was of course stunned, as were the rest of us at Mr. Grean's generousity.

We sat and talked with him for quite a while as we looked through his scrapbooks of all the famous people he had worked with and met. He had worked and taken photos with; Diana Shore, The Dorsey Brothers, Glen Miller, and Bobby Darin to name a few.

He told us how he got involved in recording the Dark Shadows songs. It seems his daughter, Robin, was an avid fan of the show. One day while she was watching it, he overheard the playing of Quentin's Theme. He entered the room and asked her about the song and show, and Robin explained it was the music that was played whenever this character Quentin came on. Mr. Grean explained to us that he couldn't get the tune out of his mind and contacted the producers of the show because he wanted to make a recording of it. He initially spoke with George DiCenzo, who then set up a luncheon for Mr. Grean with Dan Curtis. Mr. Grean made us laugh we he recalled that first meeting with Dan Curtis. He told us that here he thought he was going to have lunch with this big NYC producer at some posh restaurant, and Dan Curtis ended up taking him to some hotdog stand. We all got a chuckle out of hearing that story.

Before we left I asked Mr. Grean if he would be interested in attending a Dark Shadows Halloween party at the Lockwood-Mathews m,ansion in nearby Norwalk that October. He said that if he was in Connecticut and available, he would. He did indeed attend that party and spoke to the gathering relating the some of the stories above, as well as other momories he had of working with Jonathan Frid and David Selby in the studio when they recorded DS related songs.

"Charlie" was a great person, and I'm very happy I had the chance to meet him and listen to the stories he had to tell. Below are a couple photos from his home and the Halloween party at the Lockwood-Mathews mansion.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
Re:Record producer Charles Randolph Grean, 1913 - 2003
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 06:38:08 PM »
 :-X Bobubas -- I enjoyed your story and tried to print and copy it.  I guess that's not possible here... Is there somewhere you could post it so I could copy it?

:o I put on the LP with Josette's Music Box on it.  On the back of the LP, it list the songs Grean wrote, arranged, produced...

8) Of course, the Dark Shadows work with Cobert... we all know.  That was very smart of him to write words for Quentin's Theme so a lot of money could be made on covers.  He (it says here) arranged and conducted Nat King Cole's "Christmas Song" (that's been played a few times lately).

;D He produced some very, very big pre-rock records -- I like his "Ghost Riders In The Sky" work with Vaughn Monroe.  A lot of that pop stuff (Eddie Fisher & Perry Como) doesn't do much for me.

:D Of course, he will always be a legend for writing:
"I wanna dance with you,
Wanna dance your cares away...
I'll do the Hootchie-Coo
...and Tra Ra Ra Bom De Aye!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 06:48:08 PM »
I enjoyed your story and tried to print and copy it.  I guess that's not possible here...

You can copy it using your browser's Menu Bar, wes.  Just highlight the text and select Copy under the Edit Menu.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 06:55:12 PM »
It's very sad to hear about Mr. Grean passing away. I very much enjoy the versions of the DS music he arranged. I knew about some of the other music he did, but I certainly wasn't aware that he had worked with Glenn Miller, the Dorseys, Bobby Darin, and such. Bob, it's great you were able to get to know him. Thanks for the story and the pics.

--Mark

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 10:01:47 AM »
Bobubas, I loved reading your story!!  What a nice and caring man he must have been to first,  invite you and your friends over to his house and then give each of you all these wonderful rare records!!  I can't imagine too many people doing that.  He sounds like a real gentleman.   Im sorry to hear of his passing.
Thanks for sharing this really nice story about him.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2003, 06:01:49 PM »
 ;D Thank you for the solution, Midnite!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 08:45:57 PM »
You're welcome!  ;)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 02:00:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing this lovely story, Bobubas.  Mr. Green sounded like a good-humored, generous man, and you're fortunate to have gotten to know him.  Plus, he sure gave his daughter a great name, LOL!

Love, Robin

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2004, 10:29:52 PM »
Here's the NY Times article--

METROPOLITAN DESK | December 25, 2003, Thursday

Charles Grean, 90, Composer, Arranger And Music Executive

By LILY KOPPEL (NYT)

Charles R. Grean, a pop composer, arranger and music industry
executive for more than 60 years, died on Saturday at New York
University Medical Center in Manhattan. He was 90 and lived in Weston,
Conn.

Mr. Grean was a copyist for the orchestras of Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw
and Charlie Spivak. He arranged the string accompaniment for Nat King
Cole's "The Christmas Song" and composed the novelty hit "The Thing,"
which told the story of a man who finds a unnamed object in a box on
the beach. Performed by Phil Harris in 1950, it went to No. 1 on the
Billboard pop chart.

Charles Randolph Grean was born Oct. 1, 1913, in New York and grew up
in Mount Vernon, N.Y. He began his career playing string bass in dance
bands on cruise ships and in Catskill Mountain resorts in the 1930's.

Mr. Grean became the head of pop artists and repertoire at RCA Victor
in 1950. In 1952 he became a partner with Joe Csida, a former
Billboard editor and RCA Victor executive, in Csida-Grean Associates,
representing Bobby Darin, the radio personality Jim Lowe and the
singer Betty Johnson.

In 1969 he made his first recording with the Charles Randolph Grean
Sounde, a musical ensemble, of "Quentin's Theme," featuring music from
the TV series "Dark Shadows."

Mr. Grean was married four times. His marriages to Ms. Johnson, Betty
Wilmington and Virginia Cronk ended in divorce. He is survived by his
wife and their son, Aaron Alexander Grean, of Weston. He is also
survived by two daughters from the marriage to Ms. Cronk, Robin Grean,
of Stinson Beach, Calif., and Lorin Grean of Santa Barbara, Calif.

Correction: December 27, 2003, Saturday:

Because of an editing error, an obituary on Thursday about Charles R. Grean, a pop composer and arranger, omitted the name of his wife, who survives him. She is Sherrell Hoffman Grean.
[/size]

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Re: Record producer Charles Randolph Grean, 1913 - 2003
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 08:10:28 PM »
 It might be of interest that Mr. Grean also produced some of Leonard Nimoy's albums for Dot/Paramount, made during Nimoy's run on Star Trek, most notably "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer Space" and "Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy". The former is actually about 1/2 instrumentals arranged by Mr. Grean, the best of which include some nice variations on the Trek theme, and a punchy version of "Music to Watch Girls by" done for "Space Girls" (this is definitely some classic space age bachelor pad music) and the other half a combination of spoken word with music as well as a few songs "sung" by Mr. Nimoy. I have a very soft place in my heart for Leonard's warbling of "Where is Love" from "Oliver." On a later album, Leonard sings "Maiden's Wine" (aka Bitter Dregs) which he sang on the Trek series. However, the jam session with space hippie Adam didn't show up on any Nimoy LP. He did 5 in all between the Trek and "Mission: Impossible" years, but not all were produced by Mr. Grean
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul