Author Topic: Future Festivals  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Future Festivals
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 01:27:30 AM »
I would have liked to have heard Marie read that scene from hoDS.  I vaguely recall it from the "Marilyn" Ross novelization.  Pity they couldn't get one of the actors to partner her in it.

Apart from seeing old friends (which would be the most exciting of all), the only thing I could imagine that would make a 50th anniversary Festival exciting is if they were able to persuade Alex Isles and David Henesy to attend.  I am very doubtful of that happening.  Shutting out the fan vendors and performers has robbed it of a lot of its charm.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 03:12:15 AM »
indeed a giant MPI booth does not a dealers' room make...

and if ever there was fest for Alexandra and David Hennesey to attend it would be the fiftieth. but I won't count on it either. [ghost_sad]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 09:37:42 PM »
The best part of the festival was sitting in the Double Tree lobby after hours talking to "Professor Stokes" and other fans.  It was great catching up with old friends and making some new ones.

Offline JVjr

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
I wish they could play the film "Curse of the Full Moon", a 2 hour, fan parody movie, done by Spencer Productions, starring Kathleen Cody, Sharon Smyth Lentz, Darryl Schaffer, and Chip Coffey, at the 50th. This film has gotten great reviews by the DS fans who have seen it so far, but the sad part is there is no place to show the film to all the other DS fans. So for now, i hope they can play it there. I do know that Spencer Productions is considering another film for the 50th anniversary fest., we shall see. I like Prof. Stokes do miss the fan activities at these fests., so i hope they bring them back too. If you want to check out Spencer Productions, you can go on facebook, or go to youtube and type in Curse of the Full Moon sneak peak, they also have a film titled "Back from the Grave to Haunt Me", and you can type in Back from the Grave to Haunt me trailer, to see that film trailer as well. JVjr     

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 02:04:45 PM »
I love these things. The guy playing Willie has Karlen's mannerisms as Willie down pat.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 03:59:22 PM »
I know it's "old school" but I'm all for the return of the classic hotel bound three day fest for the 50th anniversary hopefully in New York.
I’m kind of “old school” too michael c. and would also love to see a big three day blow-out in NYC in 2016. Of course, I would probably enjoy the cruise and the smaller events if time and money allowed…which, having only managed to attend two fests over the years, it rarely does.  In the mean-time I have had to live vicariously through all the reports and photos.  Speaking of reports, thanks so much Prof. Stokes for posting yours.  Excellent as always.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »
While I do applaud the festival trying to do something new, a large percentage of the core fan base isn't interested in cruises or Doctor Mabuse. Like the actors, the core fan base is aging and less willing to hang around for hours on end in a tent with insufficient air conditioning. However, TPTB seem to have really been out of touch with the fanbase for some time. This has indirectly led to the splinter events that have popped up in recent years. To quote something that Lara Parker said at her NYC book signing last summer: If you don't give fans the festival that they want, they'll make their own.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »
How about a combination of the two?  That would be a real blow-out for the 50th anniversary.  It could start with a NYC-port based cruise starting on a Saturday (most do).  DS performers and personnel who can make the cruise, along with fans able to do the same, depart for a week of warm tropical seas, big drinks with plastic flowers in them, and sorted DS-related on-board activities.  Meanwhile, back in NY, the following Friday the big hotel-based blow-out weekend begins.  DS fans/cast/crew unable or not wanting to do the cruise portion begin the festivities.  Saturday morning, the cruise ship docks (they always dock early; it's not uncommon for many passengers to still be sleeping) and by no later than nine or ten a.m., all have disembarked and for those fans/cast/crew who will be joining the hotel festival, there can even be buses ready and waiting (it can be sold in one of three ways:  cruise/hotel combined; cruise alone; hotel alone).  Everyone gets together, maybe even having a massive buffet luncheon as both combine, catching each other up on what's happened whether on sea or land, along with pics, "selfies" and videos.  Oh, and yes, see if Alexandra Moltke and David Henessy can and will come.  Since it is the 50th, invite everyone from '66, '91, '04 and '12.  For the mid-centennial, if you're gonna go for it, go first class all the way.  Make it four days - have it over the Labor Day weekend with the cruise the week before.  Maybe they can see if there's a New-England-in-early-fall cruise (they already did Bermuda).

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
For the mid-centennial, if you're gonna go for it, go first class all the way.  Make it four days - have it over the Labor Day weekend with the cruise the week before.  Maybe they can see if there's a New-England-in-early-fall cruise (they already did Bermuda).

What a fun and exciting idea Gerard!  I know one thing – if that were to happen (provided I receive an inheritance from a long lost cousin from England or elsewhere in the meantime) – I’m there! 
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 01:41:36 AM »
Wouldn't that be great CastleBee?  Several years ago, Cunard offered, on the luxurious Queen Mary 2 (a ship I spent a month on, for free!), a pre-Labor Day Saturday-to-Saturday cruise round-trip from NY, visiting places like Newport (where you can see "Collinwood" and other exterior-shot places), Boston, Bar Harbor among other ports (including in Canada).  It decided to sell it at incredibly low prices, starting at - are you ready for this? - $400.  Not $4,000 (unless, of course, you wanted to book one of the double-floored penthouses with your own butler, maid and grand piano in the drawing room); $400.  A couple of us debated doing it but we took too long - by the time we decided to do it, every single bed was sold.  Imagine if that happens again this year!

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
Not $4,000 (unless, of course, you wanted to book one of the double-floored penthouses with your own butler, maid and grand piano in the drawing room); $400.

Eghad! I think I could afford that - even without the above mentioned inheritance. Too bad you didn't snag it in time!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 04:40:30 PM »
In my opinion, the 50th should be held in Mass or Maine. (I don't believe we ever know where Collinsport is, first in Mass, which became Maine.)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »
it's very, very definitely Maine from the very first episode. there's never anything ambiguous about it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
The confusion comes from the fact that Maine's territory was part of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts until 1820, when Maine voted to secede and become its own state.  This means that 1810, when the backstory of NIGHT OF DS was set, Collinsport was still a part of Massaachusetts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 12:40:02 AM »
If the golden anniversary was held somewhere in Maine, make sure to invite Stephen King who has always been a DS fan like us, and was inspired by DS for many of his writings.  I'm sure he'd come, even for free.  I bet he would even help put things together.  He's an ultra-nice guy.  I met him once by accident when he sat down next to me in an airport lounge.  He loves DS.  We had a short, but fascinating, talk.

Gerard