Author Topic: Future Festivals  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Future Festivals
« on: July 01, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
It was announced at the banquet in Tarrytown this weekend that, aside from the cruise in January, there would be no official DS Festival event in 2015. A "big" event is being planned for the 50th anniversary in 2016.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Future Festivals
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
Interesting info, Uncle Roger. Thanks for sharing!  [ghost_smiley]

It will certainly be very interesting to see what they come up for the 50th.  [ghost_wink]

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:10:50 PM »
Looks like I may finally make it back to the 2016 fest - YAY!  Long gaps in between and this will only be my 3rd one - but, I AM already psyched!!! 

Did the fest folk happen to mention which coast? It seems appropriate to me that it would be in NYC - which is always a good time! Also, if anyone knows - are there any future plans or thoughts on the fest continuing after that?
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 10:45:06 PM »
No, Castlebee, they didn't indicate where the 2016 festival might be. New York festivals are usually better attended but that doesn't mean it will be there. Doesn't mean it won't either. And nothing was said about anything beyond 2016.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:40:57 AM »
It would be awesome if they could get David Henesy and Alexandra Moltke as guests for a 50th anniversary event.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
Thanks Uncle Roger. 

Agree with you Ronny G...that would be awesome!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 05:47:20 PM »
I've been waiting for input on this year's fest. No info or pictures yet?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »
Janet the Wicked, you could join DS Real Friends to see, as the group name suggests, several fans I'm sure you know, many from these boards.  Also, I recall a couple of Lara Parker, Sharon Smyth Lentz and Chris Pennock.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »
there has been a pretty deafening silence on the subject here...

did no one attend this year?  [ghost_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 03:50:39 AM »
Sadly, it was not possible to attend the festival.  Not since 2011, Jonathan Frid's Last Appearance, have I attended, no connection in my opinion.  Expenses, personal obligations and just not watching the calender all contributed to my absence.   [ghost_sad]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 02:11:34 PM »
Janet the Wicked, you could join DS Real Friends to see, as the group name suggests, several fans I'm sure you know, many from these boards.  Also, I recall a couple of Lara Parker, Sharon Smyth Lentz and Chris Pennock.

Not a member of Facebook.
I know it usually takes a little while for folks to post about the fests on this forum, but sheesh!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 02:02:01 AM »
IMO, the programming on Saturday was nothing special. Essentially, it was only a half-day at Lyndhurst.    Lyndhurst remained open to the public for guided tours until 2:00.  From then until closing, the mansion was open to fans, who could walk freely through the rooms and take non-flash photographs. Vendors (primarily MPI) and autographing actors gathered inside the barn.  The main activities took place inside a large tent.

Marcy Robin spoke for the first hour, answering fan questions and reciting the litany of the dead.  Afterward, Marie Wallace and Jim Pierson performed a staged reading of a deleted scene from House of DS. She was to have played Nancy Hodiak, a customer of Jeff Clark's, who commissioned a portrait and was murdered by Barnabas while returning with it to her car.  Although the performers struggled at times to decipher Dan Curtis's handwritten notes, Marie was very emotive and even screamed when Barnabas attacked her.  She seemed to regret that the piece had not been filmed.  "I could have been immortalized in a portrait," she lamented. "Maybe they could have even made two portraits--one for Barnabas to destroy and one that I could have kept."  The scene also revealed that Maggie had given notice, unable to cope with David's pranks and Roger's vicious attitude.

According to the schedule, the next events were the charity auction to benefit Lyndhurst (the grand prize was a tour of the tower room with the actors; it went for $900) and an informational appearance by Big Finish about the audio dramas.  I was not in the tent during this time and returned only during the last half of David Selby's musical poetry slam.

Accompanied by his wife, Chip, on piano and by Jim Storm on guitar, Selby performed/sang some of his poems to a countryesque beat.  Some of the pieces related to DS.  Others had political overtones.  Selby performed this same show at the April luncheon in Coronado last year, so if you were there for Dr. Mabuse, you heard it.

Finally, the cast reunited to take questions from the audience and sign more autographs.  Both films were supposed to be shown too, but I did not stay to see them.  The last event I attended was back at the Double Tree Hotel in the gazebo outside the hotel.  After hours (around 10:00 PM), Sharon Smyth-Lentz regaled a healthy crowd of fans with ghost stories (some that she had experienced first-hand, and others that had been related to her by others).  She also invited audience members to share their own tales.  Unfortunately, Ms. Smyth-Lentz was not provided with any lighting nor even a microphone during her talk.  Although, I had been looking forward to this event, I ended up not staying long because it was too difficult to hear anything.

The luncheon on Sunday featured several delightful performances by the actors.  Marie Wallace, Lara Parker, and KLS performed their own rendition of "Friendship" with DS-themed touches, prefaced by some mock backstage cattiness.  The act got off to a slow start due to some technical difficulties with the music, but the ladies remained in good spirits and kept on with the show.  Next, James Storm played some classic country songs and dedicated a performance of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" to Jonathan Frid.  He recalled the last Festival where he has seen Frid (2010 in Burbank) and that, even though it had been the first time in 40 years that the two had been together, Frid still recognized him and vividly remembered details about Storm and his family.  Finally, Chris Pennock gave a lively and funny reading of his 2002 semi-autobiographical comic, "Fear of Losing Dark Shadows."  The luncheon closed with another charity auction and more opportunities for autographs.

There were no fan-centric activities (e,g, skits, trivia games, videos) this year, which saddens me because these activities have given me the greatest enjoyment at DS events through the years.  I always loved to see the creativity of the other fans, to feel like I was part of a big inside joke, to share my own songs and skits, and to partake in our common culture, so to speak.  Personally, I wish there was a larger participatory element at the Fests/conventions/DS Weekends.  Here's hoping that 2016 will see a return to the traditional 3-day format with a variety of activities on schedule!

ProfStokes

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 02:37:41 PM »
Sounds like it wasn't altogether that spectacular. Thank you so much, PS, for the detailed update.

On a lark, I spent one day last week in Essex, CT. Took some photos of the post office and the inn, and had a grand lunch at the Griswold, but couldn't find the Evans cottage.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
Yeah, it was pretty lackluster. There wasn't that much in the way of events of any kind. The Doubletree was comfortable enough but Lyndhurst is not airconditioned. They had portable units in the stable where the actors had their tables. But they weren't sufficient for the number of people there. A sizeable chunk of Saturday's programming consisted of screening HODS & NODS. Most people took the opportunity to go to dinner.

The banquet was okay. The waitstaff was very efficient and polite. They were very good about substituting an alternative for those who had issues with the mushroom ravioli. And, unlike some banquets, they waited until you had finished eating before they took your plate.

One highlight of Sunday's auction came when an autographed picture of Grayson Hall sold for $130. It's a headshot from HODS.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »
as always thanks for your great report Prof...

I know it's "old school" but I'm all for the return of the classic hotel bound three day fest for the 50th anniversary. hopefully in New York. but for this I might make my first trek out to LA if the event lineup seems worth it.

the recent attempts to introduce new formats, cruises and dinky day and a half mini events out at Lyndhurst, have not worked for me. I'm not looking for "newness" or "innovation" for my festival experience. I'm looking for a big well stocked dealers' room. interesting film and video presentations. the big panel discussion and so forth.

and how much "newness" can one really attach to the concept of a 50 year old soap opera??? I think any delusions we might have had a couple of years ago about the Depp/Burton film sparking a renaissance and a massive uptick in festival attendance have largely been put to bed. from what I understand the film was not screened or even mentioned at this year's event.

and let's be honest. at 50 years we're nearing the end of the period when the surviving cast will have the health and ease of mobility to endure a large convention type situation. so it would be great to have one big last hurrah before things get scaled back again.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.