Author Topic: #1220/1221: Robservations 12/23/03: Morgan's Sacrifice  (Read 1359 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1220/1221: Robservations 12/23/03: Morgan's Sacrifice
« on: December 22, 2003, 11:29:54 AM »
1220 - Quentin's into:  Today, a radiant Daphne is Bramwell's bride, but Catherine knows, that for the Collins family, even the happiest moment can hold its own terrifying secret.

Bramwell, shocked to learn of his impending fatherhood, warms up to the idea fast.  Are you sure? he asks gently.  I haven't told you this to hurt you, she says.  Hurt me? asks Bramwell wonderingly--you know how long I've dreamed you and I would have a child?--but why did it have to happen this way?   I know--I'm sorry. . .sorry, she says.  Catherine, is there a possibility...? he asks.  No, she cries bitterly, it is NOT Morgan's child!  Why didn't you tell me before? he asks.  I didn't find out until today, she says--oh, but I knew you shouldn't marry Daphne, something deep inside me (perhaps the baby) kept saying no, it must not be--I tried to warn you--I don't know what to do now, I don't know where to turn...  Bramwell, delighted, has a plan--"You and I, our child--will leave Collinwood forever."  Where would we go? she demands.   Wherever you want to go, he says--I may not have the wealth Morgan has, but we'll manage somehow--we'll go to the South of France, rent a villa, watch this child grow up--have other children.  Hopeful and happy, he presents his dream.  "The respectable Mr. and Mrs. Collins," she says sarcastically.  "No one will know or care," he counters, a modern man.  "It all sound so simple, doesn't it? she says--but we'll know we're the WRONG Mr. and Mrs. Collins!--poor Daphne, she has always been so trusting, and everyone has always taken advantage of her--and now that she is your wife, you will have to look out for her.  I would send her to hell if it would solve anything, says Bramwell cruelly.  (he is so frustrated; you can see his anger at this turn of fate eating away at him).  You don't mean that, chides Catherine--and anyway, Daphne will find hell enough here where she is!--I must go back, they are expecting mer.  He asks (rightly), what do you want of me--why did you come and tell me this?  I want nothing, she says, just to go back to my husband.  No, insists Bramwell--he already has you, but he cannot have my child!  "MY child!" blares Catherine--"As far as the world is concerned, his father will be whoever I say it is."  (How is she going to accomplish that if she never slept with Morgan?  Why bother telling Bramwell if she plans to pass off the kid as her husband's?  She told Bramwell to be fair, she claims, but how fair is she, to either man, handling things this way?)  I know you will say nothing, she says because the two of us have always been able to look deep into each other's minds and hearts, and I know you won't ever say a word--and neither will I.  Then Morgan will never know the truth, muses Bramwell (I CANNOT imagine Bramwell allowing Morgan to raise his son or daughter, can you)?  Never, Bramwell, never, Catherine says firmly.   (She had better get hubby into bed quick, then, hadn't she?)

Morgan informs the startled Flora and Julia of Bramwell and Daphne's wedding.  He's annoyed when the ladies discuss sending a wedding present to the newlyweds.  This family is not obligated to Bramwell, says Morgan.  Bramwell is a Collins, Julia reminds him, and when a Collins marries, it's customary to send a gift.  We have more important worries than wedding gifts, he says.  Morgan, it's simply a gesture, we are not going to dwell on it, we're just going to do it, says Flora.  Quentin joins them.  We've been waiting for you, says Flora.  Blame brother Gabriel, he says, frustrated, and pours a drink.  Have they found him? asks Morgan.  I've been to every sleazy boarding house on the waterfront, says Quentin sourly--nothing--no one's given him any seamen papers, no, no passage or forged passports.  He must be in the Collinsport area, says Morgan.  If he is, says Quentin, he's found a very ingenious hiding place, because he's got the police baffled, too.  You went to the police? asks Flora.  Yes, says Quentin, after I couldn't find him on the waterfront, I went back to the carriage house, so I stopped by the police--just to see if there was anybody missing that happened to be unidentified--nothing there--I did see Kendrick Young at the police department, still insisting that Gabriel killed Stella--after Kendrick left, "Lt. James apologized to me, saying he certainly couldn't believe a stranger's word over that of a Collins."  After uttering this irony, Quentin slips an arm around Julia--but I am intent on finding Gabriel because he has some questions to answer.
We must find him before he harms anyone else, says Flora.  I just don't understand how no one's seen him, says Morgan--he has to sleep and eat.  Not if he's dead, says Quentin, a remark that makes Flora's brow furrow.  You think he might be dead? she asks.  It is a possibility we must consider, says Quentin.  I suppose we do, agrees Flora sadly--well, then I'm afraid with or without Gabriel, we'll have to hold the lottery again.  Tonight? asks Julia, upset.  No, we can't wait that long, insists Flora--I feel the danger is too close--we will hold the lottery this afternoon.  Everyone looks perturbed.

This afternoon? repeats Morgan.  I know how you all feel, she says, and I am no more anxious than you are to go through with this, but I am afraid of the consequences if I wait any longer--the rules will be the same.  Morgan and I have decided that we will share the risk, says Quentin.  I said the rules will be the same! insists Flora--the participants the same, too, except Gabriel.  If only we had some idea of what secret that room holds, laments Julia--if only Gabriel had been able to tell us something.  Maybe there is someone who can help, suggests Morgan, pouring a drink--Carrie Stokes found a letter in the basement of the cottage--it was addressed to James Forsythe, signed only by an A.  May I see it? asks Quentin.  I don't have it, says Morgan--it burned up suddenly when a crazy, angry spirit joined me and Carrie.  We know nothing about James Forsythe, says Flora--hundreds of people have been through Collinwood since it was built--there's no reason to think he knows anything about the locked room or its secrets.  We've got to learn everything we can about that man, says Quentin--if there was one letter down there, there may be others.  Perhaps Forsythe will tell us what Gabriel will not, says Morgan.  You really think you can break the secret of the curse? asks Flora.  I don't know, admits Morgan, but we must try everything, if only it will end that lottery.  "It's been going on well over a century now," says Flora, "you think you can stop it in a few hours?--that's all the time you have--we'll all meet here at 3 o'clock--including Catherine," she adds, irritated--"she should have been here now."  Morgan looks down--I know, he says--she wasn't feeling well and I told her she might take a walk and get some air.  Will Catherine be back in time? asks Julia.  Of course she'll be back, why shouldn't she? demands Morgan.  Flora doesn't answer, but merely stares at him.

Bramwell offers to walk Catherine back to Collinwood.  I'd rather you didn't, she says--I've been gone too long already, probably missed the meeting.  What meeting? he asks.  Now that Gabriel is gone, a new decision has got to be made about the lottery, she says.  Bramwell becomes upset--surely you won't be involved in that any longer!--my wealthy relatives may permit their women to face danger, but not when it comes to having children!--if you talk to them...  I will tell them nothing, she insists.  I will not permit you to endanger my child! cries Bramwell.  I will tell them nothing, she says--and I'm endangering no one --don't you understand, there is no real danger?  People have died, gone mad, he reminds her--so, I have no choice but to do what you won't do--if necessary, Catherine, I will go to that house and tell them that you're having a child.  You can't do that, she says--you gave me your word.  I won't tell them the whole truth, just that you're pregnant, he says.  Don't you see? she says--that IS telling them the whole truth--each of them will ask themselves how YOU came to know I was going to have a child--no, Bramwell, you can't stop me that way, or any other way--you must have faith in me
--I have my own good reasons for what I'm going to do--and I intend to do it!  Nearly crying, she leaves the house. Bramwell is perturbed.  (It sounded odd to hear the word "pregnant" on Bramwell's lips; somehow, I was reminded of Scarlett O'Hara in the 1860's being scandalized when Rhett Butler used it, and this is 25 years earlier.  "With child" seems more appropriate to the time.)

Quentin and Morgan sort through papers in the cobweb-strewn cottage basement.  How long have we been here? asks Morgan.  Stop as talking and keep looking, orders Quentin.  I HAVE been looking! complains Morgan.  Quentin answers, "All right" in a tone that made me laugh.  We've found fans, dance programs, letters, but nothing that helps, says Morgan.  Maybe you're right, says Quentin, maybe we're just fooling ourselves.  Wait a minute, what is this? asks Morgan, who has found a ledger from 1678 written by James Forsythe, "in the hopes of prospering."
He goes through the ledger--Forsythe was some kind of merchant, he says--there are entries, profit columns, losses, not much else.  Quentin takes the book from him.  If only the numbers could tell us something, says Morgan.  There's more than just numbers, says Quentin, but I can't make them out.  Morgan takes the ledger and reads, "Their Majesty's vessel, ANNA CREON, arrived from the Virginia Colony bearing. . .I can't make out the rest--here's something about a lost boat arriving from St. Eustace--and here's something about Brutus Collins--I can't read it all, but there are a few words here--"in league with Brutus Collins".  Perhaps a business partnership? The brothers wonder.  There is a letter to him from "A", which Quentin reads: "James--things are not always what they seem--others would tell you to look elsewhere for the truth, you must know that it lies within me, and through me it must reach you--A.  It's signed A, who could it be?  Morgan reads "five yards fine wool stuff to Mistress Amanda, a pewter tea set for Mistress Amanda."  Amanda was Brutus' wife, I read it in the history, says Quentin.  Morgan agrees, but what does it mean?--who was so anxious to speak to him?  Let's assume A was Amanda and Brutus' wife, suggests Quentin--James Forsythe, did he have a wife?--let's see if there is anything else here.  Morgan, puzzled, notes a page was started for February, 1681, and a page started for March but never written on.  Morgan, says Quentin, March, 1681--that was exactly 180 years ago.  The time the curse began, says Morgan.  Exactly, agrees Quentin--what could an ordinary merchant have to do with all the terrible things happening in this house?  "'Things are not always what they seem,'" rereads Morgan from "A's" letter.  I wonder why the spirit didn't burn this letter? asks Quentin.  Maybe he knows what we're trying to learn, and knows that we won't learn it, says Morgan.  You mean that perhaps he's laughing at us, silently, suggests Quentin, and all our frantic attempts to save ourselves.  I think that may very well be, says Morgan, downcast.

Catherine returns to Collinwood and is accosted by Julia.  That's right, says Julia when Catherine races into the drawing room, knowing she's late--there's no one here--you missed the meeting.  Was anything decided? asks Catherine.  Everything, says Julia angrily--the lottery will be held at three this afternoon--do you intend to be here?  Of course, Catherine assures her.  Do you feel well enough? snaps Julia.  Certainly, says Catherine.  Morgan said the doctor was here to see you.  Morgan fusses over me much too much, says Catherine.   What did the doctor tell you? demands Julia.  (and I swear, she was homing in on the tiny fetus in Catherine's belly).  Nothing I didn't already know, says Catherine--that the first few weeks of marriage can be a difficult, upsetting time, with everything that's happening, the lottery, like a shadow over all of us, it's not surprising I had a moment of weakness--I'm sorry to disappoint you, I haven't been a Collins very long, I'm afraid I'm still subject to those moments.  Perhaps Morgan believes that sweet little girl story, says Julia, but I don't, not for a moment--I want you to tell me the REAL reason you fainted!  (I swear, it sounds like she knows!)

I've already told you, says Catherine--I don't know what more I can say.  You're a very strong person, Catherine, asserts Julia--you have a strong mind and body--it was true when you were a child and true now--I've known you a long time--when you were a child, you never cried--others did, but not you--other brides could faint but you never would--tell me!  Catherine denies Julia's comments--I'm more defenseless than you seem to think, Julia--I cried as a child, I was just like other children--you've got to know me as I am, not as you always thought I was--more than anything, I want to make Morgan a good wife--and I will do that, you'll see--and I would like to be your friend.
I'm willing to wait and see--on both counts, says Julia coldly.  (Brrrr, she reminds me of Hoffman from PT.)

Morgan and Quentin bring home Forsythe's ledger to show Flora.  Since you learned nothing new about the curse, the lottery must be held as scheduled, says Flora.

3 PM - They gather in the drawing room.  How are you, Catherine? asks Morgan.  Catherine, gazing at Julia (who stares suspiciously back at her), pointedly says, "I'm fine.  After all, I've always been very strong."  Flora explains the lottery rules again; everyone looks solemn.  Is there anyone who will refuse what has to be done if he or she is chosen? asks Flora.  I think one Gabriel in this house is enough, says Quentin.  Begin, Flora commands.  Everyone draws, Flora first--blank slip, as is Quentin's and Julia's.  Morgan, opening his slip, turns to his wife and, horror-stricken, gasps, "It's you!"
Yes, says Catherine--I have drawn the X.

NOTES:  Catherine is now pregnant with Bramwell's child and will be forced to go into the locked room.  If I were her, I would back out, run away with Bramwell as he asks her to.  She can't do it, because she's not only putting her own life in danger, but the baby's, too--and you can only imagine what Bramwell will think of that.  Plus the triangle is now a quadrangle with the addition of Bramwell's marriage to Daphne.  Not nice of him to wish his new bride to hell, but he was just frustrated at the terrible timing.  Bad timing was one of Barnabas' biggest problems, too.

What made Bramwell ask exactly how she knew it was his child, not Morgan's?  Doesn't he assume she has been having sex with her husband since they got married, whereas she did the deed only that once time with Bramwell)?  With more than a little bitterness, she replies no.  (I guess this means their marriage is definitely platonic--or they are using birth control.  I recall someone once saying that a form of condom was available, even in 1841--but was it available in 1841PT?)

So, Catherine shows up and tells Bramwell she's pregnant, he is the papa, the baby's father will be whoever she says it is, Bramwell is to take care of his wife, Catherine will return to Morgan and find some way to pass the baby off as his.  She expects Bramwell to accept this, say nothing, and allow herself to draw for the lottery and place herself and his unborn child in danger.  Is this woman truly dealing with reality??

1221 - Alone in the drawing room with Catherine, Morgan wonders, how can you smile at a time like this?  She takes his hand--it's good to know I have you, she says, have someone to care about me.  I knew this would happen, he cries, I knew it would be you!  I almost think I knew it, too, she says.  I'm not going to let it happen! he insists--I'm not letting you go into that room!

The lottery has been held, she says, we agreed on the rules beforehand, I must go into the room.  Oh, but darling, he objects, hugging her, it isn't fair!--we've only been married such a short time--you don't understand, one thing or another may happen to you--you may die or go insane--I can't bear the thought of that, and won't let it happen to you--I want to take your place.  The family would never allow it, she insists.  He rises from the sofa--I'll order a carriage, he says, we can be gone long before dusk.  What are you saying? she demands.  I'm going to take you away from here--as far as it will go.  Do you think that will solve anything? she asks.  If it will keep you out of the room, I'm willing to do it, yes, he says.  This family has believed in this curse for a very long time, she says, and they all say that you can't run from it--it will find you wherever you go.  I'm willing to take that chance, he vows.  You can't run away from something you must face, she insists.  Gabriel went into that room and faced it for a short time, says Morgan--look what happened to him--he's running through the woods, crazed!--the police are after him, I don't want that to happen to you.  It won't, she assures him, because I don't believe in the curse--I never have and never will--I know what happens to people when they go into that room--they become the victims of their own fear.  Do you really believe if you go in that room, you won't die or go insane? he asks.  Exactly, she says, it's fear--fear alone--everyone who has gone in there has believed that some horrible, unknown fate awaited him, and there's no fear more terrifying than he fear of the unknown.  How do you account for Tim Braithwaite? asks Morgan--the man Gabriel hired to take his place in that room--he knew nothing about the legend.  I've thought about that, says Catherine, and I think Gabriel may have killed him.  Gabriel? asks Morgan.  Yes, she says, I know he was only in the room a short time, but he may have been there long enough for his fear to drive him mad--and if he was mad when Tim came in there, he may have killed him.  For someone who doesn't believe in that room, says Morgan, you certainly seem to been doing a lot of thinking about it.  Yes, and all my thinking hasn't changed the way I feel, she says.  Catherine, he says, you're a strong, brave woman, but it is not possible; you are wrong about that room--please let me take you away from this!  No, she says, sooner or later someone has got to prove the room and curse a myth--I will go into that room, without fear, confident I will come out tomorrow as sane and healthy as I am right now
--I will break the curse--I know I will.  Her eyes gleam with hope.

Old House - Bramwell broods before the fire, re-playing Catherine's voice telling him, I am going to have your child.  Oh, Catherine! he laments, putting his head in his hand.  Daphne returns.  He looks at her as if she's a stranger and gives her a lukewarm greeting.  You don't look very happy to see me, she says.  Of course I am, he says, forcing a smile.  Has something happened? she asks.  Nothing, he says.  Perhaps you're just having second thoughts, she suggests.  You look so lovely, he says--radiant and so innocent.  I love you, she says.  They kiss, a quick peck on the lips, then hug.  Bramwell answers a knock at the door--"You look rather disappointed" she says--"were you expecting someone else?"  No, I wasn't expecting anyone, he says.  May I come in? she asks.  Please do, he says.  Julia carries a sheet-draped portrait.  I've come to offer you both congratulations on behalf of the family, she says.  Thank you, says Daphne.  And to give you this, adds Julia, handing the portrait to Bramwell.  What is it? he asks.  The official family wedding gift, says Julia.  Do open it, urges Daphne.  Bramwell unties the string securing the sheet--it's a portrait of my father, he says.  The one you've always admired so, says Julia--Flora and I both felt this was the place for it, and this the logical time to give it to you.  I've never seen a portrait of Barnabas Collins, remarks Daphne, you look very much like him, Bramwell.  So I've been told, he says--thank you Julia--please extend my appreciation to Flora.  Of course, says Julia.  Would you like to stay for a brandy? he offers.  Just one, she agrees.  Bramwell leaves to get the drinks.  Daphne, I'm glad we have this moment to talk alone, says Julia--are you aware we held the lottery again this afternoon?  I had no idea, says Daphne.  I know there's been some coolness between you and your sister, says Julia, but I feel you should know that Catherine drew the losing...
You mean Catherine's got to go into that room? asks Daphne, frigthened.  Yes, says Julia, at dusk.  Bramwell overhears.  Julia, were you planning to tell me, or just Daphne? he asks.  I see no harm in your knowing it, too, says Julia with a nasty smile.  Bramwell, we have got to stop her, insists Daphne.  No one can do that, says Julia--she's been chosen, she's got to go--it is a point of honor in the family--no one would avoid doing his or her duty.  Gabriel did, points out Daphne.  Bramwell, setting down the tray, agrees--and he's paying for it now, he says--you all have to pay a price for being Collinses, don't you?  I don't know what you mean, says Julia.  You all seem to look upon that lottery with some strange pride, says Bramwell grimly--in your minds, have turned that room into some family tradition--as though it were an honor for anyone to go in there!  A duty is a duty, says Julia.  I'll keep my faith in Catherine, says Bramwell, and hope she'll retain enough common sense not to go through with this.  Catherine is resigned to what she must do, says Julia.  I don't believe that, says Bramwell.  It's true, says Julia, as if glad to be giving him this terrible news.  Bramwell turns to his bride.  Daphne, in her haste to see her sister, has already bolted from the house, leaving the door open.

Catherine closes the drawing room window and wanders around for a few moments.  Daphne rushes in--Catherine, we must put our differences aside now--"You're my sister, and I do love you, and I don't want to see anything bad happen to you--please Catherine, don't go into that room tonight!"

I'm afraid there's nothing to discuss, Catherine says, I intend to do what's expected of me.  But it's madness, insists Daphne.  Do you really believe any harm will come to me? asks Catherine.  I don't know what is going to happen, says Daphne, but I do know the history of that room, and I don't think the risk is worth taking.  I appreciate your concern, I really do, says Catherine, but I sincerely believe I'll be all right.  You do fit in with this family, says Daphne accusingly--"Your pride is just as insufferable as theirs!"  I don't believe you speak as a member of this family too, now, says Catherine.  Another branch of the family, says Daphne.  Are you happy with Bramwell? asks Catherine.  Since we've been married less than a day, says Daphne, I'd say it's a bit early for an answer.  I wonder how long it will be, says Catherine, before you realize what a mistake you've made.  I didn't come here to discuss my marriage! cries Daphne.  Then why did you come? demands Morgan from the doorway.  (He is really nasty to Daphne.)  She's trying to convince me not to go into the room, explains Catherine.  Daphne rushes to Morgan and says, "You're not going to let her go through with it?"  I tried to stop her, he says, but didn't have anymore success than you.  And so you gave up, just like that--you gave in to her? demands Daphne, incredulous--you can forbid it, you're her husband!  The subject is closed, insists Catherine.  And you won't reconsider? asks Daphne.  No, replies her sister.
I think you actually WANT to go into that room! says Daphne brutally  Catherine turns away.  Is your own life so miserable, asks Daphne, that you're willing to end it?  I won't have that talk in this house, says Morgan.  Catherine gives her sister a look of defiance.  Good day, Daphne, says Morgan, dismissing her. Daphne looks from one to the other, then, without a word, leaves the house.

Gazebo - Bramwell waits impatiently, checking his watch.  Catherine joins him.  They gaze at each other for a few moments.  He looks concerned; she watches him with hope and a gentle smile.  I was afraid you hadn't gotten my note, he says.  I found it difficult to get away from the house without raising suspicion, she explains, but I know why you want to see me--so I might as well tell you what I told everyone else.  You still insist on going through with this, he says.  Yes, she says.  Even knowing what we both now know, he reminds her.  I've given you all my reasons, she says.  Have you considered the consequences of going into that room? he demands.  Yes, I have, she says.  Carrying that child--our child, he says, holding onto her arms.  I have given that the most consideration, she assures him--I hope that if I go into the room tonight, the child will be spared a lifetime of misery--perhaps 20 years from now, he won't have to go through a day of terror just like this.  You keep saying perhaps, he says, there's still a doubt in your mind.  No, she says, there's no doubt--I will go into that room without fear--and I will overcome the curse!  Have you become a Collins in such a short time? he asks, turning her around to face him--you've made up your mind, and no power on earth is going to stop you.  Your concerned because of the child, aren't you, not because of me, says Catherine.  I'm concerned about you as well as the child! shouts Bramwell--I once called this curse and lottery a lot of superstitious nonsense;
I could afford to say that then because I didn't care who was going into the room, but now you're going in and that's different--nothing must happen to you, Catherine--nothing! he repeats desperately.  His face is nestled near her hair, close to her face.  I never would have dreamed, when we met before that church so long ago, she says sadly, that we would ever be forced to meet together like this.  She turns to face him.  "Catherine, my darling Catherine," he says, and kisses her, a kiss she returns with fervor.

Their kiss lasts a long time.  Catherine draws away first.  Oh, Bramwell, she says regretfully.  We'll never stop being drawn to one another, he says.  This is terribly wrong, she says, we're both married now.  But you're going to have our baby, he reminds her.  Goodbye, Bramwell, she says.  Please reconsider, he begs.  Without an answer, she simply walks away, Bramwell looking after her longingly.

Collinwood - Julia sits before the fire.  Morgan returns carrying a wrapped box.  Where have you been? she asks.  I had to go to the express office, he says, to pick up a package--why?  I was worried about you, she says--when I couldn't find you, I thought. . .  Thought what? he asks--speak up.  I know how you feel about Catherine, and that you don't want her to go into the room, and I feared you might have thought of some way of interfering.  I see, he says--I'll put your mind at ease--I've resigned myself to the fact that Catherine must go into that room--and she must do it alone--I do have one request, however--I don't think I could go with you to take her down that corridor--see her face before she goes in.  Julia nods.  I wonder, he says...  I understand, she assures him.  Will you please do it for me? he asks.  Yes, I will, she says.  Catherine joins them--I want you to know that I, too, understand, she says.  Julia smiles at them and leaves.  Catherine, says Morgan tenderly.  When the time comes, she says, her hands on his lapels, we'll have our moment right here--the two of us darling.  She kisses him hard.

Daphne looks through the window and sees Bramwell returning home.  Guiltily, he says--I felt I had to, he says, you understand?  I want to understand why you had to see Catherine, she says softly.  In times of crisis, one can never completely erase the past, he says--memories come back that demand certain actions--she's risking her life!--I couldn't let her go without trying to stop her.  Are you sure that's all there is to it? asks Daphne.
He turns to face her--I'm sure, he says.  Then I do understand, she says, and I love you all the more for it.  You mustn't say that, he insists, turning away again.  Why not?--it's true, she insists--you could never hate Catherine and that's as it should be--you're a good man, Bramwell, and deep down, a very gentle one--I'm going to make you a good wife, I swear--I'll do everything in my power to make you happy.  I believe that, he says.  We'll travel and we'll work very hard together, she vows, and someday it will be you all the Collinses look up to--she touches his face--"You and your son," she says.  Startled, Bramwell looks at her--"My son?" he asks.  Someday, she says, I want to give you a son you'll be very, very proud of.  He looks down, ashamed, and hugs her--Daphne! he says desperately.  What's wrong? she asks, caressing his face--tell me what's wrong!  But he cannot respond.

5:10 - Julia stares up at the foyer clock and meets Morgan coming down the stairs.  She's in there, Morgan, says Julia.  He goes into the drawing room, where Catherine waits.  It is time, my darling, he says.  She takes his hands.  It's not a farewell, she assures him--everything will be all right tomorrow morning, you'll see--when I come out, I'll be just the same--but you'll be different, all of you, happily different--they kiss.  She leaves his embrace and goes to Julia, who awaits her.  Morgan closes the double doors as soon as they are out of sight.

Julia leads Catherine down the corridor to the cursed room, touching her shoulder once before they arrive.  Go on, says Catherine, open the door.  Julia finds, however, that her key does not work.  There's something wrong, Catherine--I'm certain this is the right key.  "It is the right key, Julia," says Morgan's voice, coming from INSIDE the room, "but the lock has been changed."  Morgan! protests Catherine.  Yes, Catherine, he says proudly.
We see him on the other side of the doors--I'm in here!.  Come out of there at once, orders Julia.  It's too late, says Morgan--Quentin has the only key to the new lock, and I made him promise to give it to no one--"I'm taking your place, Catherine--I wouldn't have it any other way."  Julia looks at Catherine, who gazes back, both in despair.

NOTES:  OK, this is a really nice gesture on Morgan's part, and I really can't stand him.  He did the right thing for his wife, but one wonders--what would he do if he knew she was pregnant by Bramwell?  And wasn't it interesting that Daphne asked her sister if her life was so miserable, she would actually consider ending it?  I doubt Catherine would have such a mindset now that she's pregnant, but Daphne apparently believes her sister is truly miserable.

I feel so sorry for Daphne, who is caught in the middle of this mess.  Her husband knows his former girlfriend is pregnant by him, and when Daphne mentioned THEIR having a child someday, he behaved very oddly.  One senses that between the guilt, worry over Catherine's plight and anger over the thought of having Morgan raise his child, he is going to have a problem doing his marital duty by Daphne, at least right now.

This complex situation couldn't get more sticky.  We witnessed Catherine and Bramwell's intense, lengthy kiss in the gazebo.  Then they returned home to their own spouses--and neither seemed anywhere near as passionate with their chosen mates.  Morgan and Daphne are in for serious heartbreak--if Morgan survives his night in the room, that is.

Julia sometimes seems to hate Catherine, doesn't she?  Yet you sense she admires Catherine's determination and strength at insisting on going into the room.

I know a lot of people didn't much care for this storyline, but I loved it.  I guess that's obvious.

Love, Robin