Author Topic: Barnabas - and - Bramwell  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Barnabas - and - Bramwell
« on: December 19, 2003, 09:25:29 AM »
There are always lots of comments about some of the actors who had a chance to play multiple parts and how well they differentiated them - predominantly Thayer David, Nancy Barrett and John Karlen.

Jonathan Frid was almost exclusively Barnabas, and except for the "young" Barnabas before the curse, was pretty much the same character throughout.  One can see why he was anxious to have a different part.

Other than the physical differences - his hair, dress, etc. that make him seem different from Barnabas, I  never previously was so aware of how differently he presented him.  Today (yesterday by now!), when he was talking to Catherine, I was suddenly aware of how very different a character Bramwell seemed.  His whole attitude and manner of speech were so different from Barnabas - it was really wonderful having a chance to watch him in a different part!
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Barnabas - and - Bramwell
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 10:02:35 AM »
Other than the physical differences - his hair, dress, etc. that make him seem different from Barnabas, I  never previously was so aware of how differently he presented him.  Today (yesterday by now!), when he was talking to Catherine, I was suddenly aware of how very different a character Bramwell seemed.  His whole attitude and manner of speech were so different from Barnabas - it was really wonderful having a chance to watch him in a different part!

You're right, he does play the part of Bramwell very differently than he did Barnabas and it really shows.    For me, I first noticed this difference during Morgan & Catherine's wedding.  Bramwell burst into the room, grabbed Catherine and attempted to kiss her, then physically threw Morgan to the floor in a fit of rage!!   That's something that we'd never see his character of Barnabas do. (even thought there were times I wish he had!)  Barnabas was way too reserved to ever act out physically like that. Could you imagine him grabbing Josette away from Jeremiah, kissing her, and then trying to run off with her?

In fact the only time I think I've ever seen Barnabas act out really physically against someone was when he beat poor Willie way back when.

I also think that Lara is doing a great job at portraying the character of Catherine.  We were so use to seeing her as the villian & no good evil do'er that,( for me anyway) seeing her now in this role, it's hard to even imagine her as being truly evil.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 01:44:04 PM »
Frid also seems to have quite a handle on his lines. . i wonder why so different in that respect?
Julia99

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 01:50:12 PM »
...when he was talking to Catherine, I was suddenly aware of how very different a character Bramwell seemed.  His whole attitude and manner of speech were so different from Barnabas - it was really wonderful having a chance to watch him in a different part!

THAT scene was definitely the highlight for me of both those shows yesterday.  JF was so hot.  VERY provocative.  What a good performance!  And that face - and the expressions!  So handsome.

Jeez....the dumb things that go on around here because of DS!!
After we watched the tape (and that particular scene more than once) LAFB was in her room and I barged in there to borrow a pillow.  She immediately asked (in a slightly accusatory tone) if I was planning on lying on her bed - which she did NOT want.
I told her no as I grabbed the pillow and said, "You just want me off your property 'cause your jealous that Bramwell wants ME, and not YOU!"  And we proceeded to argue over him.  LOL  Oy vey.
(She claims he wants her 'cause she's a "sweet young thing.")

What a load of crap!!!

(Am I ever gonna grow up?  Nope, probably not)   ;D

-CLC
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 02:04:13 PM »
(Am I ever gonna grow up?  Nope, probably not)   ;D

Stick to your guns, Connie....being a grown-up is vastly over-rated and I refuse to go there. [vryevl]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 03:51:34 PM »
Frid also seems to have quite a handle on his lines. . i wonder why so different in that respect?

Yes, it is very nice to see. Maybe JF felt more inspired in his role as Bramwell, and as a result, put more effort into remembering his lines. I also agree that he is very attractive in his scene with Catherine and in others. Love that tousled hair of his!

A pity you can't say the same thing for poor Keith Prentice who keeps staring at that teleprompter!
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 03:57:06 PM »
Does anyone know why they didn't keep J. Storm and instead bring in K. Prentice?

Thanks
Patti
What a Woman!

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 10:00:07 PM »
Never thought that JF was attractive, but I feel that he was surprisingly HOT as Bramwell.  His scenes with Lara (as Catherine) are probably the most convincing romantic scenes ever presented on DS.  And, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, JF truly created a different character.  I think his work as Bramwell might be his best work on the series.

As for JF's improved memory, I suspect it's because he was no longer carrying the entire story, and had fewer lines to worry about.  Actually, Keith Prentice seems to have more screen time in these final episodes.

Regards,

John

Nancy

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 10:10:59 PM »

Most likely because by that point Frid started refusing to do anymore cross country publicity tours on the weekends, stopped doing all the interviews he was asked to do by ABC during the day and the evenings, and cut down on personal appearances.  All that equated to having more time to devote to the script.  It never made any sense to me why the person who everyone knew had the biggest load and the most trouble memorizing lines was not given time with the script. ::)

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 10:14:16 PM »
There are always lots of comments about some of the actors who had a chance to play multiple parts and how well they differentiated them - predominantly Thayer David, Nancy Barrett and John Karlen.

Jonathan Frid was almost exclusively Barnabas, and except for the "young" Barnabas before the curse, was pretty much the same character throughout.  One can see why he was anxious to have a different part.

I can see it too how frustrating it must have been to see others have a chance to show off their stuff (Thayer David and Nancy Barrett) and then another actor, like Frid, doesn't get the chance.  Anyone who has seen Frid's one-man shows where he plays literally a dozen characters in two hours knows his acting range was a good as anyone of the excellent actors on DS.

nancy

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 01:11:32 AM »
I've never seen JF play Bramwell but I have watched him recite a rendition of the Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe on a DS cast anniversay tape I bought and sat through 10 minutes of an absolutely fascinating and sophisticted recital. In fact, I was so impressed I started to research Frid's one man show 'cause I was going to buy a ticket. Yep, Frid has a hard time remembering those lines but we all know, at one point, he was on pratically every show in almost every scene. It's a darn shame that someone couldn't give this poor harassed actor a break. Some of the beginning Barnabas and 1795 scenes are small jewels of hurt longing. I especially love how he allowed "shrewd Barnabas" to peep through his almost slavishly romantic personality. I'd say I'm a fan.