Author Topic: #1214/1215: Robservations 12/18/03: Not Gabriel!  (Read 1279 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1214/1215: Robservations 12/18/03: Not Gabriel!
« on: December 17, 2003, 11:31:30 AM »
1214 - Julia and Morgan stand outside the locked door behind which God knows what is happening to Gabriel.  We haven't heard a sound in there, notes Julia.  Morgan shushes her and puts his ear to the door--I thought I heard something.  I didn't, says Julia--I wonder if we will ever see Gabriel alive--and if he comes out alive, will he be mad, like the others were?  What could be happening there, what? frets Morgan.

I can't bear this waiting anymore, we're not helping him by standing here, says Julia.  I know, says Morgan.  I'm going to go down to see Melanie, says Julia.  I'll be in the drawing room with Catherine, says Morgan.  She leaves.  He lingers a moment at the door, listening, pursing his lips, then he, too, leaves the hallway.

7 PM - Catherine waits in the drawing room, wandering around, touching the furniture.  She sits down and puts her head in her hand.  Morgan sits beside her.  Has anything happened? she asks.  We don't know, he replies.  Why were you gone so long? she asks.  We waited a while, listening, he says.  And? she asks.  Total silence, nothing, he says.  Was it very difficult for Gabriel? she asks.  I must say, he surprised me, says Morgan; he seemed to have courage for the first time--I didn't expect that.  You mean he wasn't afraid? she asks.  Oh, he was afraid, he assures her, but he seemed to conquer it for a moment--just before he went in, he gasped and seemed to want to run, but then he went into the room--I was totally amazed--it was very strange, I didn't expect him to behave that way--as we closed the door, I saw a strange look on his face--I don't know what that means--what any of this madness means!  She turns away.  And now it's beginning to affect you, he says, something I never wanted to have happen.  He rises--I should never have involved you, married you, he says.  Don't say that, she insists, going to him--that's not true--I'm here with you, sharing everything with you--helping you if I can--oh, darling, hold me, let me hold you.  They hug frantically.  We'll never be separated, at least we know that, she says--not ever, ever!  He looks into her eyes--I love you so very very much,he says--they kiss.  She walks away from him and looks toward the stairs--poor Gabriel, she says--Morgan, what's going on in that room?--if we're going through this kind of torture down here, think what it mist be like for him!--do you suppose we'll ever know?  Only when we enter the room--after this interminable evening, says   Morgan--and God knows what we're going to find.  Catherine bows her head.

Julia applies a cold compress to Melanie's fevered forehead.  The young woman, delirious, says, I never thought he would find out--I only wanted to help him--why did he do it?--why?--we were so happy for a time, we meant no harm--but life is wrong--no right!--to be happy. . .  She cries out.  You will be all right, Julia assures her.  Why?--why, no happiness, please, no, no, Brutus, no! screams Melanie.  Brutus Collins? asks Julia.  Yes, says Melanie, then yells, no, no, no, no!

Are you talking to Brutus now or to me, Julia? asks the latter--are you answering my question--you did mention Brutus Collins?  Melanie repeats the name, gasping, and tries to get out of bed.  Julia pushes her back--stay there, she says--you're not Melanie now, are you?--but who are you?--tell me, please tell me.  Where is he? asks Melanie--James?
James who? asks Julia.  James Forsythe, mutters Melanie.  Who is he? asks Julia.  He's dead now, sobs Melanie.  What happened to him? demands Julia.  He killed him! screams Melanie, writhing, he...he...she settles down, calmer.

We see the doors to the locked room.  Catherine enters the corridor, looks behind her, then walks toward them, standing before them.  She tries to turn the knob.  When someone comes up behind her, she turns with a shrill gasp.

Catherine what are you doing here? demands Julia.  You frightened me, says Catherine.  You have not answered my question, Julia reminds her sternly.  The answer to your question should be obvious, says Catherine.  I warned you not to interfere, Julia reminds her, and you are interfering with this.
You just haven't told me what's going on in that room--don't forget, Julia, I could be the one who's in there right now.  Be that as it may, says Julia, I do not want you here.  I'm just so deeply concerned, says Catherine, I had to come here.  All of us are deeply concerned, says Julia.  We should be, insists Catherine--shouldn't I be?--don't I have that right?  It's not a matter of right or wrong, says Julia--I don't want you here.  Where? asks Catherine angrily--in the corridor--or in this house?  You know exactly what I mean, says Julia--now go downstairs--go!  Catherine, incensed, leaves.  Julia stands in front of the door.

Bramwell waits by the gate, then enters Collinwood's courtyard, where the fountain is.  Catherine wanders out, upset.  Bramwell comes upon her and says, "So, they've begun their madness again."  Catherine is overjoyed to see him (I stopped the tape; her smile is huge!)
Bramwell! she says, it's so good to see you up, I didn't...  Yes, Catherine? he says.  You look well, she says.  Thank you, he says.  Do you feel it? she asks.  He doesn't reply.  She moves away from him.  Yes, they've truly begun again, haven't they? he asks, standing behind her--how does it feel to be part of all that--you always wanted to be a Collins, now you are--how does it feel to be a part of all that madness?  I'm so glad to see you--I really am, she says, but I don't think you should stay here--because of what Morgan will think if he sees us together.  Why should Morgan mind? asks Bramwell--you're his wife, you chose to be his wife, didn't you?  Yes, she says.  Then why should Morgan mind? asks Bramwell.  Because...I just think he will, that's all, says Catherine, looking down at the ground.  It's a poor explanation, he says--"Good evening."  He starts to go, but she calls him back, repeating, it's good to see you again, it really is.  Is it? he asks.  Yes, she says.  I'm glad, he says--how are you?  Well, she says.  I mean your life, Bramwell amends--are you happy?  Who can be happy in this house right now? she asks--it's impossible, with all that's happening here--but with Morgan--yes, I'm happy.  (She doesn't sound as if she means it.)  I don't believe you, he says.  Well I'm sorry, she says.  Do you wish I'd never come? he asks.  She nods--yes, she says.  I don't believe that, either, he says gently--are you uncomfortable with me?  Of course not, she says, I'm just concerned about what Morgan will think if he sees us.  Why? asks Bramwell, moving closer to her--would he know that you want me to touch you now?  (ohhhh, God!)  She tips her head back, probably remembering, and runs from him--I don't want you to touch me, she cries, not now, not ever again.  He follows her.  Are you sorry that I lived? he asks.  Don't say that, she begs, clinging to the gate, breathing heavily.  If Morgan had killed me in that duel, you'd never have had to go through this again, he says, but as it is, you will have to go through it over and over and over!--whether I'm here or not, you will remember, and you will long for the times we spent together.  Bramwell, please don't, she pleads.  Are you sorry I lived? he demands again.  Of course not, she says, I wanted you to live, I wanted Morgan to live--I was against the duel from the very beginning--you know that--please, don't speak of it again.  Very well, he says.  She wanders to the other side of the courtyard and sits down on the bench.  He stands looking down at her.  How is Daphne? she asks. You've just seen her, says Bramwell, smiling with amusement, you know how she is.  Catherine giggles--I don't know why I asked you that question.  Don't you? he says--she's been very kind to me--he sits beside her--I needed someone, she was there--you weren't, he adds pointedly.  She looks away.  Does that bother you? he asks.  No, she says, except that I don't think she should be there in the house with you--people would talk.  Oh come now, Catherine, you don't really think that, he chides.  All right, she says, I'll tell you what I think--I don't want Daphne there with you--she's young, impressionable --I don't want you to hurt her.  You wouldn't be jealous, would you? he asks.  For what reason does she have to be jealous? demands Morgan, interrupting them.  Both Catherine and Bramwell rise to their feet.  Go inside, Morgan orders his wife.  Catherine assures him it's...  "I said inside!" commands Morgan.  Catherine goes.  (I would have given Morgan my wedding ring, told him to stuff it where the sun doesn't shine, and left with Bramwell.)  I told you I never ever wanted to see you here again, Morgan reminds Bramwell--now get out!  You change your tone, my friend, advises Bramwell quietly--now.  We fought our duel fairly and squarely, says Morgan--I won--and I chose to have you off my property now--now!--my choice may be different next time.  As might mine, warns Bramwell.  All right, says Morgan, then goad me--you had time to fire, didn't you?--why didn't you pull that trigger?--answer me!  Bramwell looks away, then bids him good evening without answering his question.  Don't you ever come back here again, Bramwell! shouts Morgan, I'm warning you--my choice might be different next time--DO YOU HEAR ME?

Julia tends to Melanie, applying another cold compress to her forehead.  Melanie is asleep.  Josette comes to visit.  You shouldn't be there, warns Julia, it's too dangerous.  It doesn't matter, says Josette, I wanted to see Melanie.  I'd rather you hadn't come, says Julia--we would like to confine the disease to this house.  Then Daphne should never have been asked to come here, should she? queries Josette, and you should never have gone to the Old House, should you?  Without waiting for a response, she goes to Melanie's side and gazes down at her.  How is she?  asks Josette.  Worse, I'm afraid, says Julia--she seems calm now, but she's been having spells of intense delirium, and her fever is quite high.  Is she dying? asks Josette sadly.  I don't know, admits Julia.  How did this happen? asks Josette--the plague isn't heard of in these days.  It wasn't, agrees Julia.  And Quentin, I understand he has it too? says Josette.  Yes, but not as severely, says Julia.  That's a blessing, says Josette.  Melanie awakens, rises to her elbows and greets Josette chirpily, calling her visit a wonderful surprise--Julia, why are you here? Melanie asks.  The two older women exchange glances of consternation.

Melanie, are you all right? Julia asks the seemingly-healthy girl.  I think so, says Melanie, running her fingers through her hair--I--did I have another of my attacks?  No, darling, says Julia, it's just that you were very ill, and now you've gotten well so quickly.
Ill?--Cousin Josette, what's she talking about? asks Melanie.  Josette, delighted, pulls Melanie into her arms, exulting, "Thank God you're well."  Melanie hugs her back--I didn't have an attack or do anything desperate? she asks.  Of course not, Julia assures her.  Did I, Cousin Josette? asks Melanie.  (Doesn't she believe her aunt?)  Of course not, echoes Josette, and I'm convinced you never have.  Melanie sinks back to the pillow with a sigh--it's very odd, she says, because I can remember the lottery--has it been held?--who?  Gabriel, responds Julia--he's in the room now, we'll know very soon.  Oh, says Melanie, poor Gabriel, if only he can make it, break the spell.  Don't think of it now, says Julia--Josette, will you be here for a while?--because I must go and see Quentin.  Oh yes, says Josette eagerly, gazing at Melanie.  I'll be back soon, promises Julia, and leaves.  Quentin? asks Melanie.  It's nothing, Josette lies.  But Julia made it sound so important, says Melanie.  The only important thing, says Josette, is that you're well again.  You mean that, don't you? asks Melanie.  With all my heart, Josette assures her.  I'm so glad you are my friend, says Melanie--stay with me for a while?  As long as you want me to, Josette promises.  Why did you come here tonight? asks Melanie--it's terribly late--was I very ill?  For a while, admits Josette.  Then you were concerned about me, says Melanie.  Almost as if you were my very own, says Josette--oh, I'm so fond of you, and I hope you are of me, too.  Oh yes! says Melanie--I think I'm just very happy--no one's ever felt about me the way you do--I've never had the feeling anyone was concerned about me--not really being a member of this family--not deeply concerned--I guess I felt no one loved me--strange, I almost have the feeling that you do.  I most certainly do, says Josette, hugging her.  (I feel so sorry for Melanie, and glad for both women that they have this close bond.)

Julia enters the drawing room--Morgan, she says, Melanie and Quentin are well--it's as if there were never a plague in this house.  Morgan is astonished.  They've recovered! exults Julia--I was with Melanie, who was in a coma, and then a moment later she sat up and had a conversation--it's incredible!   Quentin, too? asks Morgan.  Yes, says Julia, smiling--it's as if the curse has been removed from this house--as if whatever that thing up there is, it's been appeased--what about Gabriel?--if it's true, is he alive?--dead?--insane?--what is happening in that room?  Dawn will be here soon, says Morgan, we will know soon.  Dear God, prays Julia fervently--please let the curse be over--please let the curse be over.

Morgan enters the corridor and slowly walks to the room.  He unlocks the door and goes in.  The room is dark except for several candles.
He enters the cobweb-strewn room and turns over a man lying on the bed.  It's not Gabriel! cries Morgan, staring down at the man's unfamiliar face--it's not Gabriel!

NOTES:  What did Gabriel do, hire someone to take his place?  It looks that way.  Coward to the end.

Josette seems excessively interested in Melanie's welfare, odd for a cousin.  Poor Melanie feels like the odd family member out, and needs Josette's love and approval, so it's good for both women.

Sizzling Catherine and Bramwell get caught on the terrace, just talking.  Of course, Bramwell can't help reminding her of the great time they had together, and she apparently remembers it well, too, but pretends not to.  When he asked her, does your husband know that you want me to touch you right now...oh, puddle time!  I gather she hasn't consummated her marriage to Morgan yet, so all she can think about, especially amidst the misery in Collinwood, is the glorious time spent with Bramwell on that brass bed.

Julia means well, you can tell, but she's so blunt sometimes--the family conscience.  Where was Flora during all this?

1215 - Morgan gazes down at the man, whose eyes are wide open, staring in terror.  Flora comes in.  "Gabriel's dead," she guesses mournfully.  Don't come in here, Mother, orders Morgan.  My youngest son, laments Flora.  It's not Gabriel, reports Morgan.  What? asks Flora.  She looks at the young man, recognizing the Braithwaite boy.  (Another of them bites the dust at the hands of the Collinses).  Yes, it's Tim, says Morgan--in Gabriel's clothing.  But I don't understand, protests Flora--you and Julia brought Gabriel to this room at dusk, and locked the door.  And I took the key with me, says Morgan.  Where is Gabriel? asks Flora.  He's certainly not here, says Morgan, and I'm sure he didn't invite Tim in here for conversation.  What happens in this room? wonders Flora bitterly--look at his eyes--filled with fear--yet now, this room is like any other room--if we could only understand.  You realize what happened to Melanie, Morgan reminds her--she was only in here for a short time--it's not safe to be in here--please go, Mother--I'll dispose of the body.  Do we have to go through the lottery again? asks Flora--"Gabriel, my poor, weak Gabriel."

6:30 - Melanie, well now, looks up at the clock, then goes into the drawing room.  She seems nervous.  Morgan comes in.  He's dead, isn't he? she asks--that's why I recovered so quickly--because Gabriel is dead.  It's not Gabriel, says Morgan.  Did you say it isn't Gabriel? she asks--then who?--Mama?  Flora has entered the room. I'm going to send one of the servants for the police, Mother, says Morgan.  Please, begs Flora, don't involve the police.  Tell me what has happened, says Melanie.  We must, insists Morgan.  Tell me who was in the room, begs Melanie.   One of Gabriel's drinking companions, says Morgan--Tim Braithwaite.  How can that be? asks Melanie.  We should tell the police the truth, Morgan quietly advises his mother--we found the body in the deserted wing of the house.  But we mustn't mention the room, says Flora.  No, agrees Morgan, I checked the body when I took it into the study--there were no marks, no signs of violence--we'll just say, of course, we have no idea how it got there.  He's in Gabriel's clothes, says Flora--how do you explain that?  The police won't know that, points out Morgan, all men's clothes look alike--we'll just use the supposition he came to rob us and had a heart attack.  But they'll want to know how you happened to find him, says Flora.  I'll say that I was taking a morning stroll and happened to find the ground floor window open--and I went to investigate--oh, I knew Gabriel wouldn't go into that room--I heard him say if he was chosen, he'd hire someone to go in in his place.  Melanie's mouth drops open.  I don't believe he'd do that, says Flora.  Believe it, says Morgan, it's the only explanation!  Why would Tim do it? asks Flora--Gabriel didn't have any money with him, you said so yourself.  Morgan hands Flora a note he found on Tim's body.  One thousand dollars, reads Flora.  Tim would kill any of us for that, says Morgan--he would have gone and done anything--just as I was gong to the Eagle to look for Gabriel, I saw Tim coming out, and I know that they must have made the transaction--that's the reason Gabriel came back so easily--I should have known then--I shouldn't have been fooled by that--he's never had any intention for us--he's only thought of himself.  Not true, says Flora.  It is true, insists Morgan, he's never thought of anyone but himself--he's never had any feelings for any of us--look at the mess he's gotten us into--is that the work of a loving son?  He was so terribly afraid, says Flora.  Fear as an excuse now, Mother? asks Morgan--see Gabriel clearly--remember the little scene he played for you, yesterday at dusk--remember the tears you cried before I took him away to the locked room?--he never had any intention of going into the room--he lied to us!--and now he's left us with the consequences--whatever they may be.  Melanie laughs and stands.  Why are you laughing? asks Morgan.  Gabriel's plan appears to have succeeded, didn't it? she asks, giggling.  He's still alive, if that's what you're talking about, says Morgan.  And so am I! says Melanie, and Quentin is alive and well, and the plague is gone--we were wrong about the spirits in that room--we thought they had to have a Collins, but they don't!  Morgan looks at his mother.  The spirits don't care, says Melanie, growing hysterical, they just want a sacrifice, a human sacrifice--anyone would do--Gabriel was right!--Gabriel was right--she tilts her head backward, laughing.

Her mood growing dark, Melanie says, it didn't matter who went into the room--but you Collins have made it into a family tradition.  You're a Collins, too, Flora reminds her.  Oh no, she says, not really--some of you have made me painfully aware of that fact--poor Papa, poor dead Papa, he need not ever have gone into that room--he need not have spent the last years of his life mad!  Justin wouldn't have done what Gabriel did, says Flora.  And if he had not gone into that room, says Melanie, clasping her hands together, I would not have gone in after him, and I would be different, so different!  She shakes her head, sobbing--what fools we are, what self-important fools, to believe that only a Collins would appease the spirits in that room--but we were wrong, we were wrong--she's laughing--don't you think it's funny, Mama?--six generations of Collins have played that lottery, and Gabriel has just shown us how unimportant it all was!--I think it's terribly funny!  Melanie is sobbing hysterically.  Concerned, Flora says, darling, please...
Why aren't all of you laughing? demands Melanie, but you never laugh at yourselves, do you?--you Collins take yourselves so seriously!  Stop it! commands Morgan, stepping forward.  Papa, if he'd only known! wails Melanie.  Morgan slaps her across the face.  Morgan! protests Flora.  It does calm Melanie down.  I'm sorry, Morgan says to his sister, who is holding her cheek--I had to do that to stop you.  I know, she says, I shouldn't have said what I said--but they were all true--she leaves the room.  Do you think they were all true? asks Flora.  I don't know, he replies.  I'm going to Melanie, says Flora.  She'll be all right, Morgan assures her--there is much to decide now--what will we do about Gabriel?--if he comes back, will we take him in?  You don't think he'll come back, do you? asks Flora, shocked--don't you think he's far, far away from Collinsport now?  I hope so, says Morgan, because if I get my hands on him...  I tried so hard, says Flora, to bring him up right--to teach him to accept his responsibilities, but somehow I failed--I don't know how or why.  Please don't blame yourself, says Morgan--because he was the youngest, he's always taken advantage of you--I only wish I knew how much he told Tim Braithewaite.  About the room? asks Flora--well he wouldn't have told him the truth.  Not all of it, says Morgan--but how do you tell a man he's got to spend the night in a locked room?--he had to tell him something.  If Tim told anybody about his deal with Gabriel. . .worries Flora.  Of course, says Morgan--the police know Tim was no good--he spent a quarter of his life in and out of jail for one thing or another.  If they come here and start questioning us...? asks Flora.  I'll handle them, promises Morgan.  So it's over now, says Flora--over for this generation--well, we will not have to hold the lottery again.  Until then, says Morgan.  You're safe, she says, Catherine and Quentin are safe--we have that to be thankful for.  Morgan answers a knock at the door--Carrie Stokes.  Flora warmly welcomes the young woman--is there something wrong at the gatehouse? she asks.  No, answers Carrie, everything is fine--I was afraid you wouldn't be up, though he said you would--he said to come as close to daybreak as I could.  Who is he? asks Morgan.  Gabriel, of course, says Carrie.  Gabriel! shouts Morgan, exchanging glances with his mother.  When did you see Gabriel? asks Flora.  Last night, about a half hour after dark, says Carrie--he said to bring you this in the morning--she holds up a note.  What did he tell you--what did he say? demands Flora.  He said to give you this in the morning, repeats Carrie, and said I wasn't to give it to any of you last night, even if I saw you.
Morgan and Flora, who holds Gabriel's note, look at each other, wondering.

Flora excuses herself and goes into the drawing room to open the note.  In the foyer, Carrie tells Morgan, I heard that Melanie is feeling so much better.  Yes, she's fine, says Morgan--you can go up to see her.  Morgan joins his mother in the drawing room, closing the doors.  The handwriting is so shaky, I can hardly read it, says Flora--"Greetings to you all from free Gabriel--free of you, free of that room, free of Collinwood--at last I will never enter Collinwood again--I don't expect you to forgive me for what I've done, but believe me the half hour I spend in locked that room before Tim arrived was a hell I will never forget."  Something DID happen to him, then, says Morgan.  Flora reads, "I am sane and I will keep my sanity--even if I have nightmares the rest of my life over what happened there."  We must find him, insists Morgan--if he remembers, we MUST find him!  If he hates us that much, let him go, urges Flora.  No, says Morgan, don't you see?--he remembers--maybe he can tell us what that curse is!  Melanie was in the room, Flora reminds him.  But she doesn't remember anything, says Morgan, Gabriel does, don't you see--we can end the curse!  I don't think it can be ended, says Flora, not unless someone spends the night in there and comes out unharmed.  Catherine and I had our first disagreement last night, he says--it was about our having children.  Of course you must have children, insists Flora.  She says that too, he says--I won't have children as long as that curse exists!  Morgan! says Flora disapprovingly.  I will put no child of mine through any of this, insists Morgan--we can't let that child face what we had to face last week!--I'm sick of it--I will find Gabriel and end that curse.  How? she asks--he could be anywhere by now, there's no way of telling where he is.  Carrie Stokes, suggests Morgan--remember when the McManus girl was missing?--Carrie Stokes and Gerard Stiles found her.  You don't believe that, says Flora.  Of course I do, says Morgan--Carrie is a psychic, Gerard told me.  I don't believe in them, says Flora, and I will do nothing to encourage that girl to think she's a psychic--it wouldn't be fair.  Will you tell me how they found the McManus girl? asks Morgan.  I can't tell you how, admits Flora, and don't think anyone else can, without coincidence and luck--Carrie Stokes didn't know she had this supposed power until Gerard planted it in her mind--for his own purposes, I'm sure--no, she's just an ordinary young girl.  (Nothing like RT Flora, is she?)  Carrie comes in--I was upstairs with Melanie and had the strangest feeling that Mr. Collins needed me, that he wanted to talk to me--is that true?  Morgan looks seriously at Carrie, a big bead of sweat spilling down his face.

If you didn't want me, says Carrie, receiving no response, I'll go on home.  Morgan stops her--I do, he says.  Morgan! warns Flora.  Carrie would like to help us, wouldn't you? he asks.  You've all been so kind to Father and me, she says--letting us live in the gatehouse--of course I'll help you if I can.  Flora looks defeated.  I've been told, says Morgan that you have some strange powers.  People say I have, she agrees.  If we gave you something of Gabriel's, he says, could you help us find him?  I don't know, she says--Mr. Stiles usually helps me.  We have no time to find him, says Morgan.  I've never tried it alone, she says.  Would you please try? he asks.  She nods.  Give Carrie Gabriel's letter, instructs Morgan.  Flora does so.  Will this do? asks Morgan.  I think so, she says.  She opens the letter and gazes at it, concentrating, then seems to enter a trance.
Anxiously, Morgan asks, do you see Gabriel.  Carrie murmurs, "Trees...forest..."  Where? asks Morgan--near here?--can you tell that?  A stream, leading to the sea, says Carrie--trees are not tall, they are young; over the stream is a bridge, a rope bridge big enough for one.  Where is the bridge? asks Morgan.  It's so dim, I can hardly see it, she says--he stands there, staring at it...  Carrie, close to unconsciousness, comes out of the trance.  Flora is concerned for the girl's well-being.  Morgan, however, immediately asks Carrie, do you remember everything you said to us?  I think so, she says.  There's no rope bridge around here, points out Flora.  Wait a moment, says Gabriel, and leaves them.  I'm sorry for not helping you, says Carrie.  It's not your fault, Flora assures her.  Perhaps if Mr. Stiles were here...suggests Carrie.  Morgan returns with a small painting in his hands--this picture hung on the wall under the stairs, Mother, he says--the bridge over Biddleford Creek.  That's not far, says Carrie.  This is a rope bridge, says Morgan.  That was painted before I was born, says Flora, sometime in the last century--there's a stone bridge there now, you know that.  But this was there, Morgan insists, holding up the painting--is this the bridge, Carrie? Yes it is, she replies.  I'm going there, insists Morgan.  Flora protests.  I don't understand anything she's saying, says Morgan, but if she thinks Gabriel might be there, I'm going to go find him, whether you approve of it or not.  He starts to go.  No, says Carrie, Gabriel isn't there now--you must wait--Gabriel will find you--I don't know why I say that, but I know it's true.  She gazes at the letter again.

Cemetery - We heard birds chirping.  Morgan leads his mother through the tombstones, asking,  why do you insist on visiting Father's grave today?  Why do you insist on going to Biddleford Creek? counters Flora. You know how depressed you are when you leave here, he says.  I want to tell him that the curse is over for this generation, she says.  He wants to go with her, but Flora prefers to go alone.  Are you sure you'll get back to the house all right? he asks.  Of course, she says, nothing can happen to any of us--not now.  He goes off, leaving her alone.  She ascends the stairs to the mausoleum.  She gasps, horrified to find Justin's headstone cracked in half on the floor.

The clock in the foyer at Collinwood strikes 7 PM.  Melanie comes down, calling to her mother and Morgan, but gets no answer.  Why do I suddenly feel so cold? she wonders, hugging herself.  She goes into the drawing room and screams.  Justin's ghost is there.  Papa! she cries.  "No rest," says Justin--"they will not let me rest!"  Oh, Papa! wails Melanie.  "The room--someone must go into the room!" says Justin.  Melanie shakes her head.  "The lottery must be done again," insists Justin--"they are not satisfied--the lottery must be done again!"
Melanie shakes her head, terrified.

NOTES:  Aw, hell, now that Justin has come back with his warning, I guess sending a non-Collins in there didn't appease the spirits after all.  It wasn't a bad idea Gabriel had, but it failed.  Now they will have to hold the lottery again--who will be chosen to go in this time?  One must wonder, too, why the plague was so quickly defeated; you would think that both Quentin and Melanie would have stayed sick if putting Tim Braithwaite in the room was the wrong thing to do.  So, despite Melanie's hysterics, it takes more than just a sacrifice to serve these angry spirits--it takes a COLLINS sacrifice!

I was thinking as I watched this episode that Morgan found that painting in the house--is it possible that's where Gabriel is hiding?  So many hiding places, right?

Mother love is so strong--even after his deceit, Flora still mourns for her weak son, Gabriel.  She probably would prefer not to see him again, but he's all hers.  She tried to raise him right, but he was the youngest and probably coddled.  Quentin and Morgan didn't end up that way.  You have to feel sorry for her, as she seems a good woman.

Carrie is back, but doesn't seem quite as shrill as in her other incarnations.  Here she's a psychic.  I don't think we see James Storm again, so perhaps she is now the psychic in residence.  I wonder who her father is, since Ben Stokes was her grandfather in RT.  Flora is more like Liz  here, not the bubble-head we saw in RT.

Love, Robin