Author Topic: 2003 Dark Shadows awards...  (Read 2358 times)

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
2003 Dark Shadows awards...
« on: December 17, 2003, 12:19:06 AM »
 Hey Guys!

Since DS's run on sci-fi is coming to an end, I figure how about we do something fun and take a walk down memory lane by looking back at this year of Dark Shadow's reruns. What was you best and worst moment?...What made you cringe...what did you notice different(for you all who have watched the series before)?...etc..etc,..here's a few of my categories and my opinions .after reading mine..i would love for you'll to share some of yours.

1) Best edge of your seat moment: Barnabas and Julia travel to 1995 and discover Collinwood in ruins.

2) Most boring time of the show of 2003: The middle part of the Leviathan storyline.

3) Most surprising "change" of 2003: Angelique Rumson

4) Best Actress: Grayson Hall....I've got to give Julia her props...she had a lot on her plate during the Leviathan Storyline...she had to worry about helping Barnabas,Liz,and the others who had become leviathans and help Grant/Quentin remember who he was, along with helping Chris and Sabrina...etc ect...she did a lot..and managed to stay sane!

5) Best supporting actress: Lara Parker as Alexis Stokes....I found LP's performance as Alexis to be extraordinary..she managed to keep the audience  mystified as to whether she was really Angelique or not, up until we "personally" found out.

6) Best Actor: Old Frid of course!

7) Best supporting actor: Christopher Pennock.....he deserves this award after playing two characters in such a short period of time.Not to mention playing characters who had two very different personalities.

8 ) Saddest moment: 1840 when Valerie dies and Barnabas realizes he loved her.

9) Theme stuck in your head: the Playroom theme.

10) Most annoying kid: Michael from the Leviathans storyline.

11) Storyline with the most class: 1970 PT

12) Scariest moment: Julia walks into the playroom in 1995 and Gerard is standing in the shadows glaring at her. or as Thayer David says on the opening voiceover..."a ghost whose mere presence corrupts the surrounding air".

13) Coolest closing background: Episode 1082...with the flashing lights from David's dream.

Anyone have any other awards or nominees for the above catergories??

Thanks for allowing me to share.
Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:2003 Dark Shadows awards...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 01:56:41 AM »
6) Best Actor: I'd say Thayer David, because he flipped around from 1970 RT, 1995 coo-coo older Stokes, Daddy-oo-dearest to A & A Stokes', older Ben Stokes, etc.

Versatility has it's rewards!

7) Best Supporting Actor: John Karlen, again, versatile.
William Loomis, throw & catch Willie Loomis, and the Collins cousin.

Undecided about the best actress; really, only Grayson & Lara had anything tangible for the entirety of '03; Grayson as HOFFMAN especially when JULIA kills HOFFMAN is excellent, but that may just be the script. I liked Lara as a 'woman' in PT only (don't particularly care for Catherine, but again that may be the script); liked the whole Lexis/Ang thing.

8 & 12 combined WHEN HARRIE/CARRIE COMES IN!! ;D (scary and sad!!)

9) Theme: don't recall which other it's in, but Pansy Faye's Hoochie Koo is repeated, IIRC by Nancy Barrett, and this is my fav. tune on DS.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 02:51:34 AM »
Wow, that's hard, espescially since so much has happened - from the middle of 1897 all the way to 1841PT.

1) Best Edge of Your Seat Moment
Hmm...that's hard. I'd probably have to say 1995 too.

2) Most Boring Time of the Show
This is much easier to answer. I'd probably have to say it was the middle/end of the Leviathan storyline. I also thought the beginning of 1970PT - during which everyone was away filming HODS - was boring.

3) Most Surprising "Change"
The sudden change in Angelique and Barnabas' relationship during 1840...it seemed like they were off the show for around 10-15 episodes and then came back and fell in love.

4) Best Actress
Lara Parker. Lara was great as Angelique and, thus far, she's done a pretty good job as Catherine. Other than her, I can't really think of any lead actresses from these episodes other than Grayson Hall, whose performances were also good.

5) Best Supporting Actress
I'm not sure if I'd count her as leading or supporting, but Nancy Barrett gets my vote in this category. She was great as Charity, Charity-posessed-by-Pansy, Carolyn Stoddard, Carolyn Loomis, Leticia, and Melanie, and helped make each character unique. She never missed a beat, and I especially enjoyed her as Charity-as-Pansy, Leticia, and Melanie. I also think that Virginia Vestoff did a great job as Samantha.

6) Best Actor
Out of the two I can think of (David Selby and Jonathan Frid), I'd have to go with David Selby. I really liked him in 1897 and 1840, although I absolutely despised Quentin in 1970PT. I've never been a big fan of Barnabas, which is why I didn't choose Frid.

7) Best Supporting Actor
That's tough...I really enjoyed Louis Edmonds' & Thayer David's acting. They did great jobs in all of their roles. It's too bad the show didn't use them that much after/during 1840.

8) Saddest Moment
I have to go with what you said - the moment in which Angelique dies in Barnabas' arms. I thought it was really sad how Barnabas lost another person he loved.

9) Theme stuck in Your Head
Oh my - there were so many good themes in these storylines - "Quentin's Theme", "Joanna", "Ode to Angelique", and "The Playroom." I have to say that out of these, I liked "Joanna" the most.

10) Most annoying kid
Alexander from the Leviathan storyline. He was sooo annoying.

11) Storyline with the Most Class
Not really sure what this category is, lol, but I think the overall look of 1840 and 1841PT were the 'classiest.'

12) Scariest Moment
Hmm...probably the scene in which Angelique becomes alive and kills Alexis in 1970PT.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 03:11:37 AM »
Edge of the seat moment:  When Samantha screams at Quentin "You're not Tad's father!"

Most boring:  Leviathan storyline

Theme stuck in my head: I Wanna Dance With You

Best Actress: Virginia Vestoff

Best Supporting Actress:  Diana Davila (going back to the beginning of 2003)

Best Actor:  Louis Edmonds as Edward

Best Supporting Actor: John Karlen as Carl

Storyline with most class: 1897
[coolb]
MM

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 04:05:34 AM »

Hey guys!

I appreciate everyone's comments thus far. It's always cool hearing what others think about certain aspects of the show. I am confused as to what "Joanna's theme" is?...IS it the one that we always heard when Daphne Harridge's ghost appeared in the 1995/pre-1840 storyline?...Is there a website where you can hear specific DS themes?

Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 04:38:53 AM »
I appreciate everyone's comments thus far. It's always cool hearing what others think about certain aspects of the show. I am confused as to what "Joanna's theme" is?...IS it the one that we always heard when Daphne Harridge's ghost appeared in the 1995/pre-1840 storyline?...Is there a website where you can hear specific DS themes?

"Joanna's Theme" was heard a few times during 1840. It was a special theme for Quentin and Joanna, and, as i recall, Quentin was scared once when he heard it playing. There had been two copies of the sheet music (on the storyline) - one belonging to him and one to Joanna. It was also used at the beginning of Night of Dark Shadows.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 09:52:01 PM »
Most Disturbing Moment:  The implied rape of Buffie Harrington.  (Vampire bites and werewolf maulings are one thing, but sexual assault is far too real for the DS universe.)

Biggest Surprise:  During 1841PT, no one slipped and referred to JF's character as 'Barnabas' instead of 'Bramwell'.  (Also wins for "Best Accomplishment by an Acting Ensemble During a Specific Storyline.")

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 05:49:55 PM »
1) Best edge of your seat moment: Reenactment of the doll crumble scene . .would it crumble again?

2) Most boring time of the show of 2003: right now. .
how hum.  . . Bramwell and Catherine, yawn

3) Most surprising "change" of 2003: Barnabas Collins.. .from hatred to oblivious love for the woman who destroyed his family and turned him into a blood sucking creature of the night (thus murderer)

4) Best Actress: Grayson Hall....I gotta agree here from Magda in early 2003 to Julia's return to modernity--her swishing around Collinwood when everyone was else going nutso, Barnabas' meanness toward her to PT Hoffman the ultimate housekeeper to her1995 trembling by Gerard and simultanteous glee in pointing out she and Barn aren't gonna learn anything.  .all that to the really hard PT Julia Collins.  wow!  I'd also give runner -up consideration to Joan Bennett, Flora was quite fun!

5) Best supporting actress: Nancy Barrett.  .. wonderful in each characterization.  I even find her turn as Melanie the one interesting thing about 1840 PT.  And my nod to Lara Parker, she is always quite good.

6) Best Actor: Frid as Bramwell. .i don't like the plot or the character but his ability to create a completely different persona is amazing.

7) Best supporting actor: John Karlen. . . William Loomis, sniveling Carl Collins and now the brother in PT1840. . .all very good turns.

8 ) Saddest moment: When Julia overheard the insane Barnabas Collins declare Angelique his only love.  2nd runner up, when Julia almost spilled the beans on her love of the guy and he replied, "you'll never lose me Julia"

9) Theme stuck in your head: no nominee

10) Most annoying kid: Carrie/Hallie. . in any period.

11) Storyline with the most class: Beginning of 1897--the wrap around seatee.  .the sibling rivalry, some great stuff before it all went awry.

12) Scariest moment: Barnabas's declaration of love, ugh, see #8. . .
Julia99

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 02:42:24 AM »
1) Best edge of your seat moment: Reenactment of the doll crumble scene . .would it crumble again?
J99...I'm sorry, I don't remember this...is it w/Angelique?

8 ) Saddest moment: When Julia overheard the insane Barnabas Collins declare Angelique his only love.  .[/color]

LOLOLOLOL!!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline AllMyShadows

• Junior Poster
  • DS Fan All the Way!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 06:17:46 AM »
1) Best Edge of Your Seat Moment
I too say 1995.

2) Most Boring Time of the Show
The John Yaeger/Cyrus Longworth episodes. Except when Yaeger humps Maggie. That was hilarious!

3) Most Surprising "Change"
Barnabas realizes his love for Angelique.

4) Best Actress
Nancy Barrett. I don't care if you consider her leading or supporting, I think she was fabulous the whole year. I especially loved her as Carolyn Loomis in 1970PT.

5) Best Supporting Actress
Hard to choose. I liked Elizabeth Eis a lot.

6) Best Actor
I say Selbs too. He was great this year.

7) Best Supporting Actor
Big Lou was pretty entertaining.

8) Saddest Moment
I was crying when Angelique died in 1840 too...

9) Theme stuck in Your Head
Without a doubt: "Ode to Angelique" Except for when Bruno played it on piano.

10) Most annoying kid
That tall lanky Leviathan. Forgot his name...

11) Storyline with the Most Class
The "Rebecca" Remake of 1970PT.

12) Scariest Moment
Collinwood in ruins in 1995.

13) Funniest Moment
Charity is possesed by Pansy Faye and performs "I Wanna Dance with You."

14) Most Ridiculous Storyline
Leviathan. The Shadow didn't help much either.
DS on Sci-Fi
1992-1997, 1999-2003
Let's just hope TVLand picks it up or something like that lol

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 03:39:55 PM »
Best actor: David Selby. Although Barnabas remains my favorite character, Selby not only remembered his lines perfectly, but he created a complex character in Quentin that had equal amounts of  rakishness and vulnerability.

Best actress: Lara Parker. Angelique is undoubtedly one of DS's most intriguing, tragic, and memorable characters. And with the 1841 PT Catherine character, Lara proves that she also has range.  And - darn it all! - the lady can even write!

Most memorable score: Quentin's theme.

Scariest moment: Barnabas' and Julia's arrival in 1995, although the appearance of Quentin's ghost is a very close second.

Most satisfying finale: Barn's and Julia's return to Collinwood in 1970. "All is well with the world".

Best supporting role (female): Grayson Hall as Julia Hoffman. Her range wasn't the greatest, but she took what she had and really ran with it. To see such a strong but touchingly vulnerable female of a certain age cast in a positive light must have been the exception for 1960s TV.

Best supporting role (male): For me, it is a tie between John Karlen as Willie Loomis and Thayer David as Professor Eliot Stokes or Ben, his ancestor.

Most underrated actor: Robert Rodan as Adam. I may be in a minority here, but I still think he did very well in a somewhat thankless and difficult role.

Actor with the broadest acting range: Nancy Barrett, who gets to sulk, fall in love, rebel, play a spoiled little rich girl, dance, sing, scream, marry, be bitten by Barnabas, be possessed by spirits, attempt murder, see into the future, go insane and age very ungracefully. It seems Barrett could do just about anything convincingly.

Character I most love to hate: Jerry Lacy in any of the 3 Trask incarnations. He is always the fly in the ointment for poor Barnabas!

Most comforting character: Professor Eliot Stokes - Every time he appears, you know that help has arrived.

Best scream: Julia Hoffman (who else?)

Best laugh: Angelique (no big surprise there)

Best smoocher: Quentin - no other kissing scenes look quite this juicy!

Most clueless character: although this condition is endemic on DS, the prize goes to Alexandra Moltke as poor Vicky Winters. Didn't she coin the phrase "I don't understand"?

Most annoying character: Roger Davis as Jeff Clarke.

Most elegant actor: Joan Bennett as Elizabeth Stoddard. You can tell she was a film diva from way back!  I've always pictured her as a 50-ish Scarlett O'Hara.

Most evil character: Judah Zachery. Unlike him, most of the other ghouls relent; even Angelique is redeemed by love in the end, and Nicholas Blair finds his Achilles heel in Maggie Evans.

Dumbest f/x: the Leviathan paper cutout. ¢â‚¬ËœNuff said!

Happy Holidays Everyone!!    :D :D :D
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2003, 07:21:07 AM »
 The Envelope Please...
10. Best Story line is a tie between 1795 flashback and journey back to 1897
  9. Best suspense story line: Adam.
  8. Best use of props: Leviathan story line, large snake alter, a breathing wooden box, a very big instruction book, pendent, antique shop.
  7. Best and worst time traveler: Best: Barnabas Collins: Most traveled back in time, Worst: Vickie, would often openly mistake people in 1795 with those in 1968.
  6. Most hated Character:  All Trasks!
  5. Most beloved Character: Ben Stokes, loyal and trusted servant to Mr. Barnabas, unfortunate slave to Angelique the Witch.
   4. Best speech: Barnabas Collins.  upon his arrival to the Old House, his pleading with Josette and casting out any and all spirits, for he had come home and was going to have the life he was denied.
    3. Best and worst at keeping secrets: Best:Dr. Julia Hoffman, for uncovering a vampire.  Worst: David Collins
for the telling of a certain secret room at Eagle Cemetery.
    2. Best actress, Joan Bennett, for the first year,best supporting: Lara Parker for 1795.
    1. Best actor: Jonathan Frid, for introduction of Barnabas Collins, best supporting: John Karlen for Grave digger Willie.

Thank you....
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2003, 08:32:57 AM »
1) Best edge of your seat moment:  The trip in time to 1995. Seeing Collinwood in ruins like that was so depressing, but I was anxious to know what made it that way.

2) Most boring time of the show of 2003:  The Leviathan storyline!

3) Most surprising "change" of 2003:  Finding Angelique happily married to someone else other than Barnabas..

4) Best Actress: Nancy Barrett,  It's amazing how much she's grown as an actress since her early "spoiled rich girl" days.  Whether she's playing the victim Carolyn Hawks,
 or the cockney silly Leticia Faye, she's so believable!

5) Best supporting actress: Grayson Hall, I love how she's able to keep her cool under all the crazy circumstances that she's encountered!

6) Best Actor: John Karlen, He does so well in all of his many different roles.

7) Best supporting actor: David Selby, he adds alot of romantic spice to the show, even if he didn't always have the best choice of women!

8 ) Saddest moment: I'd have to say that for me it was when Carolyn had lost her husband Jeb near the end of the Leviathan storyline.  Jeb surely wasn't anyone's favorite character but it seemed like Carolyn was finally in love.  It was equally sad to also see her lose her father in the same storyline after waiting 20 years to finally meet him.

9) Theme stuck in your head: Quentin's theme

10) Most annoying kid: Michael from the Leviathan storyline!
What a brat!

11) Storyline with the most class: 1970 PT

12) Favorite Character: Angelique.  It's never boring when she's around!   And you usually know that something interesting is about to happen.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2003, 02:44:05 AM »
1) Best edge of your seat moment: The reading of Daniel Collins's will in 1840.

2) Most boring time of the show of 2003: The Summer of 1970 was unbearable for me the first time I watched it, so I didn't even bother this year.  [puke]

3) Most surprising "change" of 2003: Seeing Angelique become a less-villainous character in 1897 and temporarily in 1970.  It was refreshing to see her do positive work for a change.

4) Best Actress: Nancy Barrett--I didn't realize what a wonderful talent she was until seeing her in the 1897 storyline.  Her characterizations of Charity and Pansy were both lively in their own right, and her following presentations of Carolyn Loomis and Carolyn Fredricks were awesomely poignant. [thumb]

5) Best supporting actress:  Grayson Hall--Parallel Hoffman and Magda were both strong supporting characters and so different from Julia Hoffman. It was a pleasure to watch Grayson do something new and do it so well.

6) Best Actor: Thayer David has always been my favorite, and no less so during the episodes that ran in 2003.  Since January, we've sen him play Sandor the gypsy, Petofi the cultured and murderous mage, parallel Timothy Stokes the madman, aged Ben Stokes the loyal servant, Mordecai Grimes the obnoxious and small-minded peasant, and Prof. T. E. Stokes the brilliant and sensible ally.  He imbued each role with life and dimension.  At times it seems to me that the actors who play multiple characters are just reading different lines and answering to different names while going through the same motions, but Thayer's portrayals are always extremely well-delineated and distinguishable simply from the change in his voice. Two [thumb] [thumb] :D

7) Best supporting actor: John Karlen for creating such diverse, memorable, enjoyable, and believable characters as Carl Collins, William H. Loomis, Desmond Collins, and Kendrick Young.  He really propped up the show and held his own when given the chance.  Like Nancy Barrett, I truly began to appreciate what a diverse range Karlen had in the 1897 storyline and beyond.

8 ) Saddest moment: Hearing Stokes describe the funeral of Elizabeth, David, and Hallie to Barnabas.  This is the moment of shock when the audience realizes how shattered life in Collinsport has become and that two of our beloved, longest-running characters are gone.

9) Theme stuck in your head: Pansy's Theme (I'm Gonna Dance for You)

10) Most annoying kid: David Collins

11) Storyline with the most class: 1995--The sets were creepy, the acting was highly charged, and the plot was one of the most suspenseful on the show.

12) Scariest moment: Any of the events in 1995.  Normally DS doesn't give me the willies, but that storyline was superbly crafted  and unusually chilling.

ProfStokes