Author Topic: Horrible...just horrible  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Horrible...just horrible
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2003, 04:54:18 AM »
I've never taken a psychology course, nor have I ever been in therapy.....but I know enough to understand that my feelings about Barnabas Collins have very little to do with the character and a great deal to do with me.

Don't we all bring a bit of baggage to a show like this?  Isn't that what most fan-fic is....an attempt to make things work out differently for these characters?

Isn't that what intrigues those of us who are hoping for a new DS series.....one more chance to have things done right....done better....done the way we WANT it?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2003, 04:57:15 PM »
nor have I ever been in therapy

I heartily recommend it to everyone. It completely changes your outlook on the world. Or at least it does if you're receptive to it.

But I had a penchant for discerning characters' motivations ever since I really got into it in my high school literature classes. The reason I minored in Eng. Lit. in college was because I enjoyed that process so much. Some people thought majoring in Math and minoring in Eng. Lit. was an odd combination, but it made sense and was a perfect combination for me - probably because at their core both are ways of getting to the truth - be it the laws of the world around us, or the aspects within ourselves.  :D

I suppose that's why my results in that personality test that many of us took back in August came out that I'm supposedly "The Artist" who has an "intuitive understanding of emotion".

(And what was it that your results were? Oh, yeah - you didn't take the test, but you admitted that "The Judge" sounded an awful lot like you.  :o  [b003])

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2003, 05:12:49 PM »
And did the Elders of your tribe murmur amongst themselves "Thank God he's not doing it the other way around....after all, what the hell can he do with a degree in Literature except teach.....but with a MATH degree....well, he might still go  into business!!"

But what a happy outcome for the rest of us....your math degree makes this forum possible, and your literature degree makes it interesting......usually......[smrtasb] 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2003, 05:24:45 PM »
What's more intersting is that I did eventually get into teaching - but not Literature - but Computer Programming/Computer Science.  ;)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2003, 06:44:59 PM »
Or chalk it up to the fact that when I was young I had a situation in my life that required me to try to come up with a rational understanding of it or otherwise surrender my sanity (hence the fascination with psychology and the therapy)ยท

Uh oh....I've stumbled across a contradiction or sorts.  We haven't surrendered our sanity, yet our sig line eludes to a diagnosis of insanity.  (Maybe it was the last psychology course in a string of many, that pushed him over the edge.)

Analyze me baby!

love
CLC
Wyndcliffe Reject  [roll3] [rollb] [nut]  [book2]
Class of '71
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2003, 07:04:38 PM »
(And what was it that your results were? Oh, yeah - you didn't take the test, but you admitted that "The Judge" sounded an awful lot like you.  :o  [b003])

Your point being.....?  The "Judge" wasn't a very nice outcome, as I recall.  Not one I'd choose just for the hell of it.   But it certainly sounded familiar.

Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2003, 01:29:54 AM »
The views expressed in the above quote are in no way endorsed by the forum staff. Yes, we do support the right of this member to have any irrational view that she may choose - but we in no way encourage any other members to follow suit

LOLOLOLOL CHORTLE!!!!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

IluvBarnabas

Re: Horrible...just horrible
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 03:59:11 AM »
It's easy to dislike Morgan [spoiler]since he locked Bramwell and Catherine in the locked room and tried to kill Catherine on the roof[/spoiler] but Catherine was the one who chose to marry him. If she had been honest about her feelings about Bramwell from the beginning maybe Morgan wouldn't have [spoiler]turned into the crazy, homicidal wronged husband lunatic[/spoiler] he became at the end. Still I do love it that [spoiler]in the end Bramwell and Catherine got together. Even though Catherine was trying to convince herself she didn't love or need Bramwell anymore, you know it wasn't true. In the end love conquered all.[/spoiler]

Bramwell and Catherine were such an attractive couple, I could believe them to be in love [spoiler]unlike Barnabas' sudden declaration that Angelique, the one woman who caused him so much torment, was his only love.[/spoiler] That's probably the reason I like Bramwell and Catherine better because they were so different from Barnabas and Angelique.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible...just horrible
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 04:34:25 AM »
Still I do love it that [spoiler]in the end Bramwell and Catherine got together. Even though Catherine was trying to convince herself she didn't love or need Bramwell anymore, you know it wasn't true. In the end love conquered all.[/spoiler]

Me too, but it wasn't enough for me in the end, which is why I felt compelled to continue their story w/my novel.  ;)  I wanted MORE, MORE, MORE!!!   [hall2_grin]

Bramwell and Catherine were such an attractive couple, I could believe them to be in love [spoiler]unlike Barnabas' sudden declaration that Angelique, the one woman who caused him so much torment, was his only love.[/spoiler] That's probably the reason I like Bramwell and Catherine better because they were so different from Barnabas and Angelique.

ITA w/this!  But then, Wuthering Heights is one of my favorite books so it was easy to like their star-crossed love affair.   [hall_wink]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"