Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0722  (Read 791 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0722
« on: June 11, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »
Robservations #722

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0722

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »
Poor Jamison is distraught over the thought of losing his beloved uncle forever that he decides to play his uncle's favorite song over and over in hopes of bringing him back, which it does, unfortunately though not in a way that the boy would have chosen. For all of Quentin's bragging that Jamison is near and dear to his heart he's not above possessing the boy to avoid the grave. Quentin may love Jamison but it's definitely not a selfless one, not on Quentin's part anyway.

Carl practically names everyone at Collinwood as a suspect to Quentin's murder, from Barnabas to Judith to Edward even to the gypsies themselves. He also mentions Quentin's ladies. Obviously he's oblivious to the secret of Jenny's imprisonment in Collinwood (though I don't blame Judith and Edward for not letting him in on it). 

I have to mention this again, as I did the last time this episode was discussed. Quentin is mentioned as being the favorite of the grandparents. [spoiler] That would be Gabriel and Edith. The 1897 Quentin is a great nephew or something to the 1840 Quentin. Now we see in 1840 that neither Gabriel nor Edith cared very much for Quentin. Why would they favor a grandson who looked so much like someone they hated? [/spoiler]

Freaky dream for Rachel. Then for her to wake up and discover newly 'dead' Quentin rocking in the chair beside her bed...really freaky.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:14:16 PM »
DS spends almost this whole episode lying in the coffin--lots of down time and no lines to memorize!

Carl looks down into the coffin while Judith talks with a Mr. Snell, who seems to be Edward's gofer in Bangor. When she hangs up, Carl asks what she told him. She replies, I said that Quentin has had a serious accident. He wasn’t surprised--he said, Yes, Quentin always was a mischievous fellow. Well, he is finished with all his mischief now, Carl comments. I can’t say I’m sorry. He _is_ our brother, the scandalized Judith protests. You might at least try. Carl retorts, What? And miss the chance to say all the things I was afraid to say when he was alive? Oh, never! Carl turns to address Quentin with deepest contempt: Quentin Collins, you were a bounder, and a bully, a rake, and a lecher, and a liar! And I-- Suddenly he breaks off with a shriek: He just moved! I swear! Lying in his coffin--Quentin moved! Whatever happened, Quentin seems to have a faint smile on his face.

Jamison comes to Rachel's room with an anachronistic-looking train. It falls to Rachel to tell him that his beloved uncle is dead. He runs out.

Down in the drawing room, Judith and Carl continue their conversation. He looks peaceful, serene, Carl observes--he always had the looks in the family. That’s why he was both Grandmother and Grandfather’s [Edith Gabriel’s!] favorite when we were children. Grandfather used to sit Quentin on his lap, Judith remembers, and say, This boy is much too good looking to die from old age. Killed by a woman, Carl says, his voice scaling up with hysteria. That’s what Grandfather used to say, but Grandmother used to tell him to stop talking such nonsense. Stop talking nonsense! Judith shouts at her brother. Still holding the train, Jamison walks in quietly and stares at the coffin. Judith guesses, Miss Drummond has told you the news--you know that your uncle Quentin is dead. Jamison shouts, I know that he’s not dead! HE’S NOT DEAD! He sobs hard. (Behind him, we can see some thin ropes dangling down from the ceiling.) While Jamison plays his uncle's music upstairs, some unseen agency closes the coffin. (Is this what the ropes were for?) The music plays on, sweet and sour at once. Jamison says angrily, You don’t want to hear me! You don’t want to come back! If that’s the way it is, I don’t want to hear anything that makes me think of you! He switches the gramophone off. Suddenly Quentin speaks to him: You mustn’t be angry, Jamison. You and I must always be as one. Stunned and delighted, Jamison calls out, Oh, Quentin, you have come back! You have come back!

Poor Carl is the first to learn that Jamison is possessed. Next to learn is Judith. Neither of them takes it very well, especially when Jamison repeats what they said while they were standing next to the coffin.

Rachel (wearing a very pretty, frilly robe) has a weird dream that includes a view of the upstairs hallway. [spoiler][On the buffet in the hallway, the box of Count Petofi still rests, unaware of its imminent glorious time in the spotlight.][/spoiler]

And yeah, the sight of Quentin in the rocking chair IS pretty weird!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »
P.S.:

You raise some interesting points in your spoiler, IluvB. [spoiler]I don't really know what say, except that I'm as mystified as you are. Maybe some things skip a generation. But then again, 1840s Quentin was the oldest son and would inherit everything. And who knows, maybe Daniel's original will cut Gabriel out entirely. But in the lead-up to 1897, it seems that Gabriel was the Master of Collinwood, so he and Edith could indulge the boy Quentin. [/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 12:23:16 AM »
I'm leaning more heavily on the thought that Grandmama Edith might not be Gabriel's wife Edith.

Carl is now emboldened by Quentin's death, and is talking freely and occasionally even confidently about what an ass he was.  He isn't pulling any jokes this time, unlike after Grandmama's death, which didn't impact upon him until after the will was read.  Carl is deeply bitter.  At this point I wonder if every member of this family loathes every other member, underneath.

Quentin starts possessing Jamison, confusingly.  I'm not sure how this connects with what's about to happen to Quentin (physically).  It's genuinely jarring and creepy when, right after Rachel's dream, she seems to wake up with Quentin rocking silently and expressionlessly in the chair beside the bed...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 03:20:50 AM »
I see no reason to believe that 1897 Edith couldn't be [spoiler] the same wife of the 1840 Gabriel [/spoiler].  Not to mention she was pretty much disdainful and frightened of Daniel as we saw during her last dying moments. [spoiler] From what we saw in 1840 Daniel had no use for either Gabriel or Edith. [/spoiler] No reason she couldn't still loathe him and fear him even though he was long in his grave by this point.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:01:06 PM »
I see no reason to believe that 1897 Edith couldn't be [spoiler] the same wife of the 1840 Gabriel [/spoiler]. 

True.  But there's also no reason she has to be.  I really want two different Ediths at this point, because then I don't have to worry about the time contradictions.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
Well considering Barnabas is the one who usually goes back and forth in time all the time and makes changes to history all the time (good or bad, intentional or unintentional), I think contradictions are to be expected. [ghost_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 04:12:39 PM »
This screen capture of Carl is too much: