Author Topic: Lots o NoDS Q  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Lots o NoDS Q
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
i just recently re-watched NoDS...so many questions and comments:

First, I thought when Q & T were going into what I presumed to be one of the many cottages on the Collinwood Estate, it looked nothing like the series. Once inside, I'm reasonably sure they were in fact inside a real house (not a set).

You don't hear anyone say 'Collinwood' until Julia says it about half way through.

Was the shooting done at Salve-Regina (sorry if that's really wrong name/spelling).

Were the majority of shots in 'Collinwood' done in an actual house too? I don't think every scene was in the house, but the majority.

This is only the second time viewing it, but I felt very unclear on why Ang was haunting the joint (it wasn't Q who had her hanged...right?)

Now, we all L O V E Thayer David, but why wasn't Jerry Lacy in the infamous roll of Trask?

At the end of movie and THIS MAY BE BIG SPOILER, SO IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED NODS DON'T READ, it has the type stating that 'Willie and Carolyn' (yes, I know that wasn't their character's names) were killed in auto accident...witness...fog...but then it seem like more 'type' is coming, but it just went to the end.

Thanks for letting me ask,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Lots o NoDS Q
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:33:28 PM »
NoDS was filmed at the Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown, NY, the same location as HoDS.  Quite a few DS festivals/conventions have been held there.  I believe virtually all scenes were filmed on-site rather than on specially constructed sets.  The Lyndhurst Estate continuously pops up in various TV shows; the latest I've seen was on Four Weddings

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »
If I remember correctly, Jerry Lacy was appearing on As The World Turns at the time and wasn't available to be in the film.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:55:59 PM »
The first mention of Collinwood comes from Tracy (Kate Jackson) as she and Quentin are driving up to the house... her line is something like, "I can't believe it's really Collinwood!" It's during the title credits sequence I believe.  I still need to see the new DVD...

Angelique was supposedly WRONGLY condemned as a Witch through the connivance of Charles Collins' wife, Laura, and Angelique's own husband, Gabriel.  Both were furious because Angelique was having a blatantly near-public affair with Charles.  The sequence that really establishes the affair is among the material deleted from the release print but recovered by Darren Gross, but (expletive deleted) suits at whoever owns the rights now (I think it's Universal, but don't quote me) refuses to shell out the paltry sum to have the restoration done.

I personally think that the events shown in the film strongly hint that Angelique Collins WAS a Witch, but it is left ambivalent at the close of the story.

In the screenplay, there were hints that Angelique's spirit was being psychically kept active through Carlotta's past life memories.  Towards the end the big reveal is [spoiler]that Quentin, as the reincarnation of Charles, also helps her to establish a foothold in the earth plane.[/spoiler]

It's interesting to note that the names Carlotta and Charles are forms of one another, and Carlotta's surname, Drake, refers to a kind of dragon which can commune through multiple elemental realms. (Carlotta is played by Grayson in the movie--you called her "Julia," lol.)

G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »
I posted a prose adaptation of the movie, using the entire shooting script. The work is complete and can be found here. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10083233/1/Night-of-Dark-Shadows

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 12:20:16 AM »
I haven't had the chance to completely check out your efforts, The Doctor and K9, but I'm very impressed with what I have seen. It's like the Marilyn Ross novelization of NoDS that we never got. Well, actually, it's quite possibly much better because I was never impressed with those novels.  [ghost_nowink]

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the dedicated work you must have put in!!  [ghost_smiley]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 12:25:16 AM »
Just stumbled onto this, Doctor! What an amazing effort--thanks!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 04:54:54 AM »
I'm very impressed with what I have seen. It's like the Marilyn Ross novelization of NoDS that we never got. Well, actually, it's quite possibly much better

I so agree.  I haven't read it all myself yet (I will tomorrow), but The Doctors novelization is wonderful and so much better than what "Marilyn Ross" wrote, including the HoDS novelization.  Don't get me wrong - I love and cherish all my MR novels in my possession and when they came out I read them vociferously.  But they weren't the height of literary art (just as the comics weren't).  Every other sentence!  Ended in!  An exclamation! Point!  !  But I don't want to take this thread off-topic.  I can't wait to read the rest of it, Doctors.  You should develop it more - maybe it could join the latest literary re-boot that brought out Lara Parker's latest novel.  Even if it doesn't, you can write it for fun and let on-line fans read it.  You could flesh so much out, such as what happened from the end of HoDS and the death of Elizabeth and why Quentin ended up inheriting it all, the characters of Alex and Claire, why Carlotta remains and where she came from (regarding Mrs. Johnson), what's the relationship between Quentin, Tracy, Alex and Claire, on and on.  Let your creative juices flow.  Make it a direct sequel to HoDS, rather than an "alternative universe" DS thing.  That would make it even more interesting.  What happened to David?  To Maggie and Jeff?    Oh, you'd have so much fun!

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 12:13:04 AM »
My short term memory is so unreliable now I can't recall whether this trailer for NoDS is new here, but there were a couple of shots that were new to me in it... and some shots are repeated several times a la Hitchcock.  It's a bit longer than the one usually showcased:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pyLOmCwao

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 12:39:12 AM »
Hmm - there's definitely a trailer on one of the MPI DVDs that features the tag line "He came from the house on the hill, she came from the grave." And there's one that features the tag line "Death kept their love alive," which I much prefer to "Just another night of terror." But is there one that features all three tag lines? I don't know. I'll definitey have to check...

I know one thing, though - that's definitely not the trailer that's on the NoDS DVD/Blu-ray.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 12:58:30 AM »
I don't know how I could have forgotten because that's my favoite NoDS trailer and it's included on MPI's DS Collection #26 (as well as on disc #128 of the boxed set).

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 03:17:45 AM »
Good to know, MB.  That was presumably the source of the upload.

G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 02:21:51 AM »
You could flesh so much out, such as what happened from the end of HoDS and the death of Elizabeth and why Quentin ended up inheriting it all, the characters of Alex and Claire, why Carlotta remains and where she came from (regarding Mrs. Johnson), what's the relationship between Quentin, Tracy, Alex and Claire, on and on.  Let your creative juices flow.  Make it a direct sequel to HoDS, rather than an "alternative universe" DS thing.  That would make it even more interesting.  What happened to David?  To Maggie and Jeff?    Oh, you'd have so much fun!
Gerard, I did make it a direct sequel to HODS, but I made very subtle references. The truck in the burial scene (one of the few scenes I added) was owned by the caretaker, Loomis. Oblique references to the troubled times were meant to refer to HODS. I gave two possible fates for David. He either went to live with his governess (as told by the lawyer, I believe) OR he met a tragic fate if you believe the denizens of the Blue Whale. There's been so much fanfic about the fate of those characters, I did not want to favor one over the other. The mention of the books Carolyn read as a child was taken from DS. It was intended to be a sequel to HODS. However, I am toying with the idea of a fanfic anthology surrounding DS. Some of it could be written by me, some by others, with me as editor, making sure it fits a cohesive whole. Maybe someday I'll do that!!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
The Doctor, I just finished reading your - can I call it? - "Reader's Digest Condensced Version" of your novel adaptation of NoDS and it was brilliant!  And, yes, you did reference what happened to the characters from HoDS making it a direct sequel!  Wonderful!  It was superior to anything "Marilyn Ross" would've prosed. 

Now, somewhat on the same topic, here's a question thrown out to our fantastic general audience.  Dan Curtis originally wanted to do a "direct" sequel to HoDS where Barnabas returns but the concept was ended when Mr. Frid refused to reprise the role.  If it had gone forward, what would've happened?  Most of the original cast had been offed.  All that was left of the major characters was Elizabeth, David, Maggie, Jeff and Todd.  Oh, and Mrs. Johnson.  There wasn't much left to build on.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »
All the hoDS speculation has been moved to its own topic.  [ghost_smiley]