Author Topic: #0099/0100: Robservations 07/31/01: Pen-Man-Ship  (Read 1311 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0099/0100: Robservations 07/31/01: Pen-Man-Ship
« on: July 30, 2001, 07:38:46 PM »
Episode #99 - A stranger has come to the gloomy old mansion called Collinwood., determined to uncover secrets hidden inside its walls--but her first night has been filled with terror.

Mrs. Johnson, now wearing the familiar neck to dress hem apron, carries a tray into the drawing room and closes the doors. She dials Burke at the Inn. He walks sleepily into the living room, ties the belt on his robe, wipes his face with both hands, and answers. This is Sarah Johnson, she says. What is it? he asks. Sorry if I woke you, she says, but I couldn't afford to wait until later, I thought I'd better call you when everybody is asleep. Never mind that, says Burke--have you got some information? Something's happened here I think you ought to know about, she says--I don't want to talk about it here, someone might come in or pick up the extension--when can I come see you? I'll be here all morning and part of the afternoon--pick your time, he says. It will have to be in the afternoon before I can get away, she says, I have a lot of duties this morning. Can't you give me some idea of what's going on? her asks. I can only tell you that I have been frightened, and in a way I've never been frightened before, she tells him. Of what? he asks. This house! she says--I'm not a superstitious woman, but something happened here that there is only one explanation for
--this house is haunted! Burke is shocked.

Haunted? asks Burke--but what are you talking about? I don't want to go into it now, insists Sarah. Carolyn flings open the drawing room doors. Sarah hurriedly says, "I have arthritis, Doctor." Is there someone there with you? asks Burke. That's right, says Mrs. J. Then hang up--I'll see you later, says Burke. Carolyn (in pants!) sits on the sofa and greets Sarah with a good morning. I hope you didn't mind my using the telephone, says Sarah. Not at all, Carolyn assures her--aren't you feeling well? I have a touch of arthritis, I guess I'm just getting old, says Sarah, but I would like to go in to see the doctor this afternoon if you're sure it will be OK with your mother. I'm sure it will be, says Carolyn. That's hot coffee for you over there, says Sarah. I'm not used to such service! exclaims Carolyn. Vicki comes in and greets both women good morning. Hello, says Carolyn coolly--you want some coffee? Yes, please, says Vicki. Have you two met? asks Carolyn. We met yesterday, replies Vicki. Could I fix either of you some breakfast? Asks Mrs. J. The coffee's fine for me, says Carolyn. I'll fix something for myself later, says Vicki, thank you. All right, then, I'll just go on with my dusting, if it's all right with you, says Sarah. She commences to dust, and Vicki asks Carolyn where she disappeared to last night. I went into town, says Carolyn, to a movie. With Joe? asks Vicki. No, I went alone, says Carolyn. Did you like the movie? asks Vicki. As much as I could like any movie I saw alone, says Carolyn resentfully. They sip their coffee. I'd have gone with you if I'd known you were going, says Vicki. I know that, says Carolyn bitchily, getting up from the sofa and walking toward the piano. Vicki follows her. Carolyn takes the paper and opens it on top of the piano. You have no reason in the world to be mad at me, says Vicki. Haven't I? asks Carolyn. I haven't done anything for you to be mad at! insists Vicki. I'm not mad, exactly, says Carolyn, I just thought we were better friends than we are, that's all. Why aren't we friends? asks Vicki--because I accepted that ride to Bangor with Burke Devlin? Sarah dusts, listening. What else could I do? continues Vicki--he was going to Bangor anyway and offered me a lift--what reason would I have for turning him down? None, I suppose, says Carolyn, relenting. It wasn't as though we planned it, it was just a coincidence, says Vicki. I know, you told me that already, says Carolyn. Don't you believe me? asks Vicki. Are you sure nothing went on between you and Burke in Bangor? asks Carolyn, facing her. Of course I'm sure, says Vicki. Something must have happened! says Carolyn. (Why?--because something would have happened if you had been with Burke in Bangor?) That's silly, says Vicki, I ran into Burke a couple of times while I was there--but you know why I made that trip--and it had nothing to do with Burke. I don't know why you called Uncle Roger late a night and had him come all the way to Bangor to get you! says Carolyn. Because I had no way of getting back, says Vicki, the last bus had left. Why didn't you ride with Burke? the blonde asks--you told me he offered you a ride. Because I didn't want to ride with him, says Vicki. Why not? persists Carolyn, as Sarah dusts, and listens--you were perfectly willing to accept a ride up there with him. Vicki walks to the window. That was a mistake I didn't want to repeat, she says. Why? asks Carolyn. Please don't ask me to explain, says Vicki, I can't, at least not right now. All right, says Carolyn coldly, but you can't stop me from coming to my own conclusions. Then they're wrong conclusions, Vicki tells her, believe me, there is nothing between Burke and myself--never has been and never will be--as a matter of fact, he is the last man in the world I want to be involved with. The last man in the world--isn't that going a bit overboard? asks Carolyn. I mean it, says Vicki, I don't want to contact him, see him, or have anything to do with him--and someday, you'll feel the same way. You sound almost as if you're afraid of Burke, says Carolyn, surprised. If I am, says Vicki, I have a reason to be--a good reason.
Sarah listens closely, preparing her report.

I called you to remind you I'm waiting for your answer, says Burke from his room phone--what is there to think about?--you know I'm offering you and your men more money than you'll ever make working for Elizabeth Stoddard--better job, shorter hours--what else do you want?--what is it a question of?--all right, think it over, but I want a decision and soon--the deadline is Thursday, I'll have to know by then--I'll be expecting to hear from you. There's a knock at the door. Burke hangs up and invites Sarah in. She assures him no one saw her come up here. What's all this about a haunted house? he asks. If you'd been with me last night, you'd have seen, she says--I'll tell you, I'm so frightened, I don't know if I can stay in that house--I mean it--I didn't count on an experience like I had last night, never. Calm down, he says, sit down. She sits on the sofa and he sits beside her and asks her to tell him about it. There was sobbing coming from a padlocked room in the cellar, says Sarah--nobody in that house could have been in that room, nor any human being--it had to be something inhuman. Come on, says Burke, you're a sensible woman, surely you don't believe that! Yes I do, she says, I was there, you weren't, I know what happened! And it frightened you enough to give out on everything we've been working on? he asks. Of course I'm frightened, wouldn't you be? she asks. It could be the ventilating system, he says--systems in old houses like Collinwood--miles and miles of pipe--connecting the rooms--if someone made a sound in one of the rooms, it would be heard in another room--or maybe even the basement. And you think what I heard must have come from another room? she asks. It's the only logical explanation I can think of, he says. Why would anybody be sobbing in the middle of the night like that? she asks. I don't know, says Burke, what do I know from sobbing women and females? I guess it could have happened that way, she admits. Could have and probably did, says Burke convincingly--now, you don't believe in the bogeyman, do you? You make me sound foolish, she says, smiling slightly. I don't mean to, he says, patting her arm, I just don't want you to give up. I won't give up, she vows. Good, he says. I know, whatever happens, I have to stay in that house--I owe it to Mr. Malloy--you know I feel more than ever that the key to his murderer is somewhere in Collinwood. I know, says Burke--it's somewhere in that house--by the way, don't call me from Collinwood, it's too risky--no one must know there's ever been any connection between you and me. Somebody in that house already does know, she tells him. What? asks Burke. It's only David, she says--he caught me snooping around earlier in the basement--and he asked me if I was spying for Mr. Devlin. How did he make that connection? asks Burke. I think that day you made him apologize to me, he decided we liked each other better than we pretend, she says. If he tells his Aunt Elizabeth what he saw... frets Burke--if he saw you in the basement, the ball game's over. I don't think he'll tell her, says Sarah, he likes you--and hates his father--he'll do anything for you--he said he wouldn't tell and I think he meant it. I guess I'll just have to keep in his good graces, says Burke, lighting a cigarette, and that goes for some other people who live in that house. If you're talking about young Carolyn Stoddard, you don't have to worry about her, says Sarah, but you'd better keep your eye on and watch out for that Miss Winters--I overheard her this morning telling Carolyn--came out and practically said she was afraid of you.
Why should she say that? asks Burke. I don't know, says Sarah, but it has something to do with a trip to Bangor. That's ridiculous, he says, I gave her no reason in the world to be afraid of me. I don't know, says Sarah, that's what I overheard, she said she was afraid--I couldn't tell you why. A strange thing did happen, says Burke, one minute she was going to ride back to Collinsport with me, and next she decided to stay in Bangor overnight--I thought it odd at the time. She didn't stay in Bangor overnight--she called Roger Collins to come get her that night, and he did. Roger? asks Burke, stupefied--she called Roger?--I don't understand--she was willing to ride with me a half hour before we were supposed to leave, then she changed her mind--if I frightened her, it must have happened in that half hour--I spent most of the time in a business meeting and didn't speak to her, except to tell her we were going to leave--it doesn't make any sense at all! Well, says Sarah, just the same you... There's a knock at the door. Burke isn't expecting anyone, and he approaches the door with trepidation.

Burke asks who it is, tamping out his cigarette in the ashtray on the table by the door. Ezra Hurd, says the man. Burke tells him to wait a minute and hustles Sarah into the kitchen and closes the door. Burke invites Ezra in. I know I told you I wanted fast action, says Burke, but I didn't expect to see you so soon. I talked to the men, we made a decision, says Ezra, thought we shouldn't waste time letting you know what it is. I feel the same way, says Burke, grinning. We're turning down your offer, says Ezra, sticking to our old jobs. Why? asks Burke. Because that's what we want, says Ezra. Name your price, insists Burke, I mean it. We haven't got a price, says Ezra. Then you're the first men I've met who don't. Could be, the other man says, but that's how it is. Are you staying with Elizabeth Stoddard out of some misguided sense of loyalty? Not misguided, says Ezra. What is Mrs. Stoddard to you, a patron saint? Demands Burke, truly pissed off. No, says Ezra passionately, just a woman who's fed us and provided for us most of our lives!--we figure we owe her something in return--we're not stupid, at least not as stupid as you must think. What's that supposed to mean? asks Burke. We know what you're trying to do to Mrs. Stoddard, says Ezra--we know you're trying to run her out of business. What's wrong with a little honest competition? Asks Burke. Nothing, says Ezra, but we don't want to be a part of what you're trying to do! Do you have any idea what you're throwing away? asks Burke. Yup, says Ezra, more money than any of us will ever see. And that doesn't matter to you? asks Burke. It matters, but not enough, replies Ezra. You've made a fast decision, says Burke, and a fast decision can be a sentimental decision--think over what I told you, and come back. We thought it over, says Ezra, we made a decision--it isn't likely we'll change our minds--the answer is no. All right, says Burke, furious, I'll get other men! Fishermen, maybe, says Ezra, but not men who can run a cannery--they don't exist in these parts
--if they did, you wouldn't have made us the offer that you did! Get out of here! barks Burke. Why not, says Ezra calmly--we've said everything we've got to say to each other--and he goes. Burke slams the door after him, wipes his face with both hands, lights another cigarette. Sarah comes out of the kitchen. I overheard, she says--I'm sorry. Don't be, says Burke, there's more than one way to skin a cat, or drop a bombshell on the Collins house. What do you mean? asks Sarah. Watch, says Burke, and picks up the phone.

At Collinwood, Carolyn answers. Hello? She asks. Hello yourself, he replies. Who is this? she asks. You don't recognize my voice, that's not very flattering, he complains. Burke? she asks, delighted. Hand that lady a cupie doll and a big black cigar! Says Burke. Carolyn laughs. This is a surprise, she says. Why? he asks--don't tell me your phone isn't worn out from all those calls you get from admirers? Is that what you are? she asks flirtatiously. I might be placed in that category--what are you doing tonight? Nothing, she says--why? If you're free, says Burke, how about having dinner with me. I'm free as a breeze, she says, and I'd love to have dinner with you! Let's make it seven o'clock, he says, at the Blue Whale. Great, I'll see you then! she says, thrilled. I'll be waiting, says Burke, hanging up. Sarah smiles at nods in approval.

Carolyn stands by the phone, ecstatic. She exits the drawing room and meets Vicki in the foyer, nearly running into her. What's the hurry? asks Vicki, smiling. I'm sorry for the way I behaved this morning, chirps Carolyn, I was silly, suspicious and a dope! What brought this on? asks Vicki. I just realized I was wrong, says Carolyn, I'm apologizing--will you accept? Of course I will, says Vicki. We're friends again? asks Carolyn. Friends, Vicki agrees, pleased the feud is over. Good, says Carolyn, as long as we're friends, could I borrow your blue scarf to wear tonight? Sure, says Vicki. What's the occasion, do you have a date? Asks Vicki. Oh, I very definitely have a date! Says Carolyn dreamily. With Joe? asks Vicki. Nope, says Carolyn. Who with? asks Vicki. An admirer, says Carolyn, grinning joyously. I thought we were friends again, Vicki reminds her. We are friends, says Carolyn--I have a date with Burke Devlin. Burke? asks Vicki, perturbed. Carolyn nods--I have hours to get ready, but I want to decide what I'm going to wear. She starts to dash upstairs, but Vicki tells her to wait--I want to talk to you. I'm in a rush, can't it wait? Asks Carolyn. No, it's important, says Vicki, pleased. All right, says Carolyn, and the two girls go into the drawing room. If you're going to tell me not to go out with Burke, save your breath, advises Carolyn. You can't go out with him, says Vicki. Name me one good reason why I can't, insists Carolyn. You know what he's doing to your family, says Vicki. That's business, says Carolyn, Mother can handle competition, she always has. It isn't just business, says Vicki--you know about him and your Uncle Roger. All right, Burke has a grudge against Uncle Roger, says Carolyn--maybe he has good reason to! You're blinding yourself against so much! says Vicki. I'm not blinding myself to anything, says Carolyn, I know Burke--and he's not as black as he's painted in this house. That's just it, says Vicki seriously--you don't know him. And you do? asks Carolyn. I know he can be very dangerous, says Vicki. Dangerous--how? asks Carolyn. He can hurt you, badly, says Vicki. Why would Burke want to hurt me? asks Carolyn. Because you're a Collins, says Vicki. You mean you think he's trying to use me, says Carolyn. Isn't it possible? asks Vicki. No, says Carolyn, and I'll tell you why--because Burke likes ME--as a person, as a girl! Carolyn! chastises Vicki. The trouble with you is, says Carolyn, you don't want to admit Burke likes me! That isn't it at all, says Vicki. I think it is, says Carolyn, and I have proof of what I'm talking about--remember the day I had lunch with Burke in Bangor? Yes, says Vicki. He gave me a present, says Carolyn--men don't give presents to girls they don't like. You let him buy your loyalty with a simple presents, accuses Vicki. It wasn't a simple present, says Carolyn, it was very expensive--a beautiful silver filigreed fountain pen, worth a lot of money. A fountain pen? Asks Vicki, making a connection. Burke's pen, says Carolyn--he said there were only a few like it in the world and he wanted me to have it--I guess that proves something. Where is it? asks Vicki--I haven't seen you use it? Uncle Roger found out about it and took it away from me, explains Carolyn--he said he was gong to give it back to Burke. And that's what happened to it, asks Vicki--your uncle gave it to Burke? No, says Carolyn, he lost it! Lost it? asks Vicki, upset. Yes, I was furious, says Carolyn. When did he lose it? asks Vicki. A few weeks ago, says Carolyn--as a matter of fact, I can tell you the exact night--because something terrible happened that night
--Bill Malloy was killed.

NOTES: So now Vicki realizes she drove home with the wrong man the previous night. It was Roger who lost the pen, not Burke. What will she do with this information? How terror-stricken she must feel!

Carolyn is such a child. She always thinks an apology smoothes everything over, but it doesn't always--not with Joe, certainly, and this is the zillionth time she's apologized to Vicki. How sincere could she be? She's as excited as a little girl over her date with Burke, but so smitten she won't listen to Vicki. And it was clear from what Burke said to Sarah that he plans to hurt Carolyn--and Mrs. Johnson seems to approve of the plan.

Burke convinced Sarah to stay at Collinwood despite her fear--it's only the ductwork, he assured her--what will happen when she hears that sobbing again? Duct work doesn't cry like that!

I suspect that the men from the Collins cannery would stick with the business they'd known for years. Loyalty means something in the workplace, and Liz is damn lucky Burke couldn't pay her employees enough to desert her. She must be very special indeed.

Episode #100 - Long weeks ago, a sudden death occurred near Collinwood, a death I now suspect was murder. I thought I knew the identity of the murderer, only to find new evidence that points to a member of the Collins family.

Drawing room - What's wrong? Carolyn asks Vicki. Nothing, the other girl replies. You look strange, remarks Carolyn. I was just thinking about the pen Burke Devlin gave you, says Vicki--it's a shame, you said it was valuable, it's a shame you lost it. I didn't, says Carolyn, Uncle Roger lost it. That's what I mean, says Vicki. I was so annoyed with him, says Carolyn--if he wouldn't let me keep the pen, the least he could have done was gotten it back to Burke without losing it--it was so careless of him! Has he searched for it? asks Vicki. He's turned the house upside-down looking for it, says Carolyn, but hasn't found it--it just seems to have vanished. Are you sure he lost it the night Bill Malloy died? asks Vicki. Yes, says Carolyn, positive--I wouldn't be very likely to forget anything that happened that night. I suppose you wouldn't, agrees Vicki. Why? asks Carolyn, what difference does it make to you? I thought if he lost it more recently, I might be able to find it, lies Vicki. You wouldn't be very likely to find it, says Carolyn, it's been missing for weeks--ever since that terrible night--the night poor Mr. Malloy was killed. Vicki looks quite upset--did she let the REAL murderer bring her home last night?

You seem awfully interested in that pen, says Carolyn. I know it meant a lot to you, says Vicki, and I'd like to help you find it. Thanks, but forget it, advises Carolyn--it's gone, and it's not likely to turn up at this late date. I suppose not, says Vicki. Anyway, Burke gave it to me, says Carolyn, and it was an expensive gift--doesn't that prove something? Maybe, says Vicki. Don't you believe he gave it to me? asks Carolyn accusingly. Oh, yes, says Vicki, I believe you! Well? asks Carolyn. What do you want me to say? asks Vicki. I don't care what you says, Burke wouldn't have given me an expensive gift like that if he didn't like me--whether you want to admit it or not. I admit it, says Vicki--I'm sure Burke likes you, there's no reason why he shouldn't--you're a very attractive girl. That's a switch, says Carolyn. Why, I never said Burke wasn't attracted to you, says Vicki. You said he was only using me to hurt Mother and Uncle Roger, says Carolyn. I never said that--you did, says Vicki. You implied it, says Carolyn. Maybe I did--and maybe I was wrong, admits Vicki--maybe I've been unfair to Burke--I know how he feels about your Uncle Roger, but I don't know how much of that feeling transfers to you--maybe none of it does. I don't understand you at all, says Carolyn, shocked at this change in her friend. I just don't want to be unfair to Burke, says Vicki, whatever I think of him, I don't think he's a monster. But just a minute ago, says Carolyn, you were telling me how dangerous he is--you even seemed frightened of him. Why should I be frightened of him? asks Vicki, hedging. That's what I'd like to know! says Carolyn. I'm not frightened of him, I have no reason to be, says Vicki. You had me wondering, says Carolyn. You misunderstood me, says Vicki. Then why all this fuss about my date with Burke? asks Carolyn. I didn't mean to make a big fuss over it, says Vicki, I just didn't want you to get into trouble with your family. The camera reveals that David has been standing outside the drawing room, listening to their conversation. I won't get into trouble, says Carolyn. You know what your mother is going to say, not to mention your Uncle Roger, says Vicki. They won't say anything about it if they don't know about it, says Carolyn. Aren't you planning to tell them? asks Vicki. Why should I? asks Carolyn, to listen to them scream? This is a small town, Vicki reminds her, and news travels fast--they're bound to find out. Maybe they will and maybe they won't, says Carolyn, if they do, I'll face that problem when the time comes--in the meantime, why borrow trouble? That's for you to decide, Vicki says, I'm not going to tell you what you should do. You won't tell them, will you? asks Carolyn--I don't mean you should lie to them, just don't tell them--especially Uncle Roger, please--for my sake. (A lie by omission.) I won't make an announcement of it, if that's what you mean, says Vicki. Thanks! Says Carolyn--we are friends again! I hope so, says Vicki--where are you meeting Burke? At the Blue Whale, says Carolyn. What time? asks Vicki. Seven o'clock, Carolyn tells her, grinning. You just think you have a date with Burke Devlin, says David, hands on hips--wait till my father finds out. Carolyn rushes over and demands to know how long he's been eavesdropping. Long enough, he replies--I'm not gong to let you see Burke--it isn't fair--you seeing Burke when I'm not allowed to--and I'm going to stop you. you are, are you? asks Carolyn--how do you plan to do that?--are you going to call Burke and tell him to cancel our date. I'm going to tell my father, says David calmly, and he'll stop you. All right, she says, you just go ahead and do that. I will! he promises. It really couldn't matter less to me, says Carolyn--no one can stop me from doing what I want to do--especially nasty little boys. My father will stop you, says David--he'll tell you you can't go, and make you stay in the house--you wait and see. And he leaves. He really is a little monster, Carolyn tells Vicki--I really wish my mother had never let him come to live here. You won't be using your car for the next few hours, will you? asks Vicki. Why, do you want to borrow it? asks Carolyn. if you don't mind, says Vicki, I've got a couple of errands to run in town. I don't mind, Carolyn assures her, just please have it back in time for me to meet Burke. I will, says Vicki. (No school today?) Carolyn paces the drawing room, probably wondering how she can legally kill her cousin.

Vicki drives up in front of the Collinsport Inn, parks and enters. She goes up to Burke's suite and knocks. Who is it? asks Burke. Vicki Winters, she says. He rises from the desk and goes to answer the door. This is a surprise, he says, come in--to what do I owe this unexpected honor? I have to talk to you, it's very important, she says. His flippant demeanor changes at the serious look on her face. What's going on? he asks. Something I found out this afternoon, something that terrifies me, she says. What's happened? he asks. I found out Roger's been lying, says Vicki, he said he wasn't at Widows' Hill...Lookout Point the night Bill Malloy was killed--but he was
--and I think he murdered Bill Malloy. Burke gazes at her in astonishment.

Would you please repeat that last statement? Asks Burke. I think Roger murdered Bill Malloy, says Vicki--or I should say I think it's very possible. Why? asks Burke. He had a motive if the things you say about that accident 10 years ago are true. They're true, all right, says Burke--Roger was guilty of that manslaughter charge--Malloy must have found out, Roger had to keep him quiet--but how do you know Roger was at Lookout Point that night? I found the pen he lost that night, says Vicki, it was on the beach at Lookout Point. A silver filigreed fountain pen, with a fancy design on it? asks Burke. Yes, says Vicki. That was my pen, says Burke, I gave it to Carolyn--Roger took it away from her and lost it. I know, says Vicki. Did you know that pen was originally mine? he asks. Yes, she says. How, did Carolyn tell you? asks Burke. No, I saw one exactly like it, says Vicki, and found out you had a duplicate. Blair's pen, says Burke--so that was it--you saw that pen at a restaurant in Bangor--that's why you wouldn't drive back to Collinsport with me--you actually thought... What else could I think? she asks. No wonder you couldn't ride back with me, he says--you thought I murdered Malloy. I didn't know you'd given the pen to Carolyn until this afternoon, says Vicki. Well, says Burke, now you know who lost the pen, and in five seconds, the sheriff is going to know--have you got the pen? No, says Vicki. You'll have to get it, says Burke--we'll need it for solid evidence for the sheriff. I can't find it anywhere, I think it was stolen! Says Vicki--it must have been stolen, it disappeared shortly after I'd found it. Did Roger see you with it? asks Burke. Yes, she says, but that was before I found out what it was--then it disappeared, I thought David took it. Of course Roger took it, says Burke viciously, he took it to conceal the only evidence there is against him. It is possible, says Vicki, he was in the house that afternoon--there were only three of us there, David, Roger and myself. If only Roger hadn't seen that pen, frets Burke--he's probably destroyed it by now. Maybe he has, says Vicki, sitting beside Burke on the sofa--when I think back, he was very anxious about that pen--he didn't want me to mention it to anyone. At least you've seen the pen, says Burke, and you know when Roger left the house that night--I mean I assume you're willing to change you testimony. I don't think I can! she says. Why not, knowing what you now know? asks Burke. I'm still not sure what time he left the house, says Vicki--I know he was downstairs at 10:30--and when I went up to my room, it was a little after that, and he was still in the drawing room. When you went up to your room, Roger walked right out the front door, says Burke. He said he had some paperwork, says Vicki, some contracts to sign--that would have taken 10 or 15 minutes. IF he was telling the truth, says Burke--obviously, he wasn't. It isn't obvious to me! says Vicki. HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT? demands Burke, standing. I'm saying that I cannot swear to the time he left the house because I didn't see him leave! cries Vicki. He had a strong motive to kill Bill Malloy, says Burke, who else did? Vicki stands beside him--he had a motive if the things you say are true, she reminds him. Of course they're true, says Burke, Malloy found out what happened 10 year ago--Roger killed him to keep him quiet. That may have been what happened, but we can't be sure, says Vicki, because Bill Malloy died before he could tell what he knew. Gazing her straight in the eyes, Burke says, "You know Roger Collins is guilty, or you wouldn't be here." I don't know, says Vicki, I'm frightened and I don't know what to think, and I had to talk to somebody. Burke smiles. All right, you came to the right place, he says gently, holding her shoulder, because I do know what to think--everything I suspected is true--Roger Collins is a murderer!

Roger returns to Collinwood. Hello, Father, says David, who's been waiting on the steps. Hello, David, says Roger, not very warmly--what devilment have you been up to today? Why don't you ask Carolyn that same question? David asks. I'm in no mood for your riddles tonight, says Roger, fixing himself a drink. David follows him in. Father? he asks. What is it, David? asks Roger, annoyed. What is the worst thing anyone could do to you? queries David. Please, says Roger, I told you I'm in no mood for your riddles, and I meant it. Take me--what if I joined your enemies, and was plotting against you? asks David. You haven't always been the most loyal son in the world, says Roger. I'm not making secret plans with Burke Devlin the way some people are, says David mysteriously. What's this all about? asks Roger. Carolyn, says David--she made secret plans to meet Burke Devlin tonight--you're not supposed to know this, but she's meeting Burke at the Blue Whale tonight--I heard her tell Miss Winters. Furious, Roger puts down his glass and grabs David's arm--are you lying to me? he demands.
Ask Carolyn, suggests David. I fully intend to, Roger assures him--where is she? In her room, says David. Roger immediately goes upstairs, David watching him, smiling.

Does Carolyn have any idea what she told you? Burke asks Vicki, who is pouring coffee in his kitchenette. No, says Vicki, none. You're sure? asks Burke. Yes, she was quite curious as to why I was asking so many questions about the pen, says Vicki, but I told her I just wanted to help her find it--she seemed to believe that. Black, please, says Burke, as Vicki picks up the creamer--there's no chance she'll go to Roger and tell him you were asking questions? I don't see why she would, says Vicki, handing him a mug of coffee--she doesn't know I was at Lookout Point and found the pen, and she doesn't know that Roger lost it there--so I don't see why she'd want to tell him that. I guess she wouldn't, agrees Burke--what about Roger?--does he suspect anything. No, says Vicki, pouring cream in her coffee, he couldn't, because I haven't seen him since I found out. Good, says Burke--when you see him, be cagey, I don't want him to know you suspect a thing. You don't have to tell me that, Vicki assures him. Our next step it to decide what we're going to do, says Burke as they head back into the living room. That's why I came here, she says, because I don't know what to do. I'm for going to the sheriff and telling him everything, says Burke. And then what? she asks. He'll question Roger, says Burke. And? asks Vicki. If we're lucky, we'll get a confession out of him, says Burke. Isn't that wishful thinking? says Vicki. Yeah, says Burke, you saw the pen, I could get the duplicate from Blair, and you could swear that the one you found at Lookout Point was exactly like it. But the pen itself doesn't exist, says Vicki, I could only testify from memory, and that wouldn't be good enough for the sheriff. (You're a smart gal, Vicki.) You're a reliable witness, says Burke, sitting in a chair, I'm sure he'll take your word for anything. I'm still not sure that roger killed Malloy, says Vicki. I don't understand you, says Burke, exasperated, you know the facts, how can you doubt it. All I know is that Roger was at Lookout Point the night Malloy was killed, says Vicki--I can't be anymore sure of things than that--he could have had a motive to kill him, and he could have left the house earlier than he said he did, but I cannot be certain of these things! You sound like you're trying to protect him, says Burke. Vicki rises and walks over to him. No, she says, I'm not--I'm frightened, but I think there is a very good chance he did kill Malloy. Well? asks Burke. I'm still not positive, says Vicki, and if I'm not positive, how can the sheriff be? You're right about that, agrees Burke--the sheriff wouldn't believe Roger killed Malloy if he saw him do it on Main Street with a butcher knife at high noon. I can't stand by and do nothing, either, she says, that's not right. there must be some answer, insists Burke, balling his fist in frustration.

Burke smokes a cigarette and ponders what to do. Vicki sits on the sofa, thinking hard. We'll have to forget about going to the sheriff, at least for the time being, says Burke--you were right what you said a while ago, we haven't enough evidence to convict Roger of jaywalking, let alone murder. What are we going to do? she asks. Find more evidence, he says--there's the pen, if we could find it, we'd have tangible proof of your story. You said Roger had probably gotten rid of it, says Vicki. I have a pretty good idea Roger has stashed that pen somewhere, says Burke. Vicki stands. Then we'll just have to find it, she says. Would you? he asks her. Supposing it is in Collinwood? asks Vicki--that's a huge house--Roger could have hidden it in a hundred different places--and it could stay hidden. We could try, says Burke. What if we never find the pen? She asks. Roger might inadvertently drop some little piece of information, says Burke, and you're in the house, you can find it, until then, we just have to sit tight and pretend everything is all right until we have something to go on. Vicki sighs. All right, she says, I'll do whatever you think I should do. Burke puts his hand on Vicki's shoulder. I know you're afraid of Roger, he tells her, but you said yourself there's no reason for you to be afraid. I'm afraid he might find out what I know, she says. How could he do that, unless you tip your hand, and you won't, Burke assures her, admiring her courage. I'm afraid he might find out some other way, says Vicki. How could he? asks Burke, you said Carolyn won't tell him anything--is there any other person who might tell him? No, says Vicki. Then for the time being, you're perfectly safe in that house, says Burke--if you weren't, I wouldn't let you go back there.
And he gently caresses her cheek.

Carolyn, I forbid you to se Burke Devlin tonight or any other night! Roger rails at his niece. I'm sorry, says Carolyn, but you can't forbid me to do anything--Burke has asked me to have dinner with him and I'm going to have dinner with him! How can you think of associating with that man? demands Roger--you know what he's trying to do to us, to the whole family. Carolyn, wearing a nightgown, stands before her mirror. All right, she says, you don't have to like Burke! It's more than not liking him, says Roger, this is a man who is out to destroy the whole Collins family! He's not out to destroy me! says Carolyn. You don't know him the way I do, says Roger, you don't know how insidious, what a dangerous enemy he can be. You sound like Vicki, says Carolyn. Vicki? asks Roger. She said the same thing about Burke, as a matter of fact, she used that same word to describe him--dangerous--but I didn't listen to her, and I'm not going to listen to you. When and why did Vicki says that? asks Roger. For the same reason you're telling me, says Carolyn--she was trying to talk me out of going out with Burke--she thinks he's only trying to use me. She's right, says Roger. You may think so, says Carolyn, but Vicki's not so sure anymore--she opens her dresser drawer--as a matter of fact, she was very surprised to learn that Burke had given me a very expensive present. Present, what present? asks Roger. You know very well what present, says Carolyn--the silver filigreed pen, the one you wouldn't let me keep. You told Vicki about the pen? Asks Roger. Why not? asks Carolyn. Did you tell her what happened to the pen? Asks Roger. I told her you took it away from me, then promptly lost it, says Carolyn. I see, says Roger, turning pale. Why? asks Carolyn, is there any reason I shouldn't have told her. Oh no, says Roger, no reason at all
--but he has that tight-lipped, murderous look on his face.

NOTES: How much danger is Vicki in now? The story has come full circle, and, even though Vicki was sure Carolyn wouldn't squeal, it's all come out, and now Roger knows that Vicki knows who REALLY had the pen when it was lost--him! Will he invite Vicki for a deadly walk on Widows' Hill or Lookout Point? Is Vicki in far more danger than Burke believes her to be?

Vicki is sensible about all this, pointing out to Burke why they can't go to the sheriff, and although he is disappointed on not being able to nail Roger right away, he realizes she's right--they don't have enough evidence.

Burke gave me an expensive present, Carolyn whines, more than once--that means he likes me! There are times she sounds just like her little cousin, and just as mature! Vicki points out all the reasons Carolyn shouldn't go out with Burke, but they fly right over the blonde's head--she wants him, she'll go out with him, no matter what her cousin, mother or uncle think. Have we ever heard Carolyn sound this thrilled over a date with Joe? Carolyn wants a bad boy--who can give her expensive presents. Carolyn has seriously severe tunnel vision where Burke is concerned, and now that he's decided to hurt her because of who she is, she's going to be truly saddened--and lose far more than she bargained for. In a way, I'm surprised Mrs. Johnson supported Burke in this turn of events. It's Roger he should be targeting, but he's going about his revenge by bringing the entire family into the picture, which isn't right.

I do love how David kept his promise to tattle on Carolyn--and even waited on the stairs so he'd see his father as soon as he came in! Carolyn will do what she wants, but the question is, will Burke still take her out with everything else he has on his mind? And is he falling for the dark-haired governess? Looks that way. He touches her cheek with a special tenderness.

Love, Robin