Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0707  (Read 554 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0707
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »
Robservations #707

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0707

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 09:25:21 PM »
Edward threatens to put Carl in an asylum until Carl tells him that he knows their grandmother died without telling him the secret. But Carl is sure that someone in the house does know.

Edward has called a meeting of all his siblings, and what a grand quarrel they have! They argue about who knows the secret until they remember that someone else spoke with Edith before she died. Edward sends Carl to get Barnabas.

Carl enters the OH without knocking (it runs in the family) and yells for Barnabas. We can see that Magda and Sandor have done more work, and Josette's portrait is back in its rightful place over the drawing-room mantel. About to open the metal door, Carl is intercepted by Sandor. Sandor says that Barn is out and will be back tonight. Carl wonders what Magda and Sandor are still doing at the OH. He's hired you as his servants, Carl realizes. You could say that, Sandor replies ironically. Carl doesn't want to return to Collinwood without Barn because no one will believe a word he says. Sandor finds this hilarious and says there must be gypsy blood in the family--no one trusts anyone else.

Rachel is out on the terrace, admiring her new surroundings. Quentin arrives and offers to show her the house. We can cover the main structure, then the West Wing--where I live. [Presumably he has his bedroom particularly in mind!] Uncomfortable, Rachel moves away from him to look at the other side of the house. Is that tower part of the West Wing? she asks as she indicates it. Quentin replies, The tower is one place we’ll have to stay away from. No one in the family has been in the tower room for over a hundred years. He leans in close to Rachel as he explains, It is an old family legend that a woman committed suicide in that room back in 1796. [We know that the legend is true, and that the woman was poor Naomi.] So ever since then, everyone thinks it’s haunted, Rachel guesses. Yes, Quentin agrees. Do you think it is? she asks him. I consider it an interesting legend, but that’s all, Quentin replies. Do you believe in ghosts? Rachel asks. Do you? the future ghost asks back. I don’t know, she says slowly. I think you do, Quentin says teasingly. Maybe that’s what scares you about the house. Quentin practically buries his nose in her hair as he assures her, Don’t worry--you’re perfectly safe here. Rachel moves away again, saying, I know that--but thank you for your concern. Quentin moves closer again to tell her, I like you, Rachel. You are shy--and innocent. You are very beautiful. Rachel thanks him again, and Quentin practically puts his nose in her hair again as he says, I think we are going to be very close friends. Unsure of how to reply to that, Rachel doesn’t. Quentin leaves, grinning with anticipation, but in his conceit he hardly notices that Rachel is staring at the tower, fascinated.

Carl brings Sandor back to Collinwood, where Judith tells Sandor that she wants him and Magda off the property within 24 hours.

Still on the terrace, Rachel notices a light suddenly burning in the tower room.

Edward and Judith argue about the tower room. Even though Edward doesn't want a report, Judith reports that Beth goes there three times a day and pays the weekly installments to Mrs. Fillmore.  I felt you’d want to know, Judith insists. I have washed my hands of the entire affair, Edward barks at her. Is Beth satisfied with her end of it? he asks. Judith says stuffily, She should be. You’re paying her enough--too much, I think. Silence and loyalty cannot be bought cheaply, Edward says. Beth would serve _him_ for even less, Judith replies. Consider the extra payment a form of insurance, Edward says, adding, From this day on, I want neither to be told nor reminded of that problem. I’m not interested in it at all.

Rachel bursts in and tells them about the light in the tower room. Edward glances at Judith as he tells Rachel, That’s impossible. Rachel insists she saw it; Judith hurries out of the room; the camera follows her as she starts upstairs. Edward asks Rachel why it disturbs her. Rachel explains, I was speaking with Quentin [should be Mr. Quentin Collins to her!] a short time ago, and he told me about the legend of the tower room. Edward says, And Quentin made a mistake in telling you, because it stirred up your imagination, apparently. No, Rachel insists, I did see a light. There isn’t a light, Edward insists back but asks anyway, Was it an electric or candle light? Rachel says, It was too bright for candles, so it had to be electric. That proves you were wrong, Edward says coldly. There is no electricity in the tower room. He offers to take her back out onto the terrace to show her there are no lights.

After they leave the house, Judith hurries back down the stairs and into the drawing room, looking for Edward. She is clearly shaken, as if she has averted some kind of catastrophe.

On the terrace, Edward points up to the tower. The room is dark! Rachel exclaims. That is right, Edward replies. Just as it was dark before. It has been dark for over one hundred years. Rachel was obviously convinced, but now that she’s not sure, she’s very upset....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 05:47:17 AM »
Morning, Ed!  Why is he and everyone taking Magda's idea that someone knows the Secret so seriously?  I like the moment with Rachel in the garden or whatever that place is called, with the mood music, and her looking around... she manages so much emotional expression and thoughtfulness in her face.  Q pounces...  He can really switch that "disarming" thing on and off at will, can't he?  We get a strange audio glitch as Judith reached the top of the foyer stairs, sees Sandor, and is about to come down to evict him.  It's as if there was a microphone on the top of the post at the top of the stairs, and she got her mouth too close.  Trivia, I do realize.

Rachel starts her obsession with the Tower.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »
With Joel Crothers gone, I see that David Selby had inherited this pose:

Hmmm...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile