Author Topic: Odds and Ends  (Read 1810 times)

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
Odds and Ends
« on: December 04, 2003, 08:36:18 PM »
   Wow.  1840's almost over already?  I remember watching some of the tapes earlier on, and it seemed to just be made up of jail scenes that dragged on and on...but then again, our tapes were all Quentin eps.   ::)

Daphne's dead..."guess what??"  Joanna's dead after all and was a ghost this entire time!  If I were her, I would have just stayed on like that in Collinsport for a while, since she was able to fool people into thinking that she was alive.  I thought it was kind of mean of her to tell Daphne that she was alive and well though!

[spoiler]I suppose after Quentin and Daphne left together, her mission was complete.[/spoiler]
   You know, this storyline turned out a lot better than I had originally thought.  I didn't know that Quentin caught onto Gerard (who I will NOT be missing) before his near head-rolling.  I didn't even notice until a day or two ago that a particular character has been quite sparse throughout this story.

Where...is...BARNABAS???   >:(  We only have him for the end of '40, then we get this arrogant lech in '41 PT (as opposed to our regular arrogant dumbass [who I love!] in RT).  Oh well, at least Quentin is beautiful throughout...

[hello]Samantha rocks![hello] Or as least, rocked, anyway...

And remember:  "Falling in love is a voluntary...a voluntary thing." 

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Odds and Ends
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 05:26:34 AM »
I don't recall how Quentin finally switched and viewd Gerard as the enemy.  Recently, when he seemingly had proof of his betrayal, Gerard went to him with one of his good performances and explanations, and again, Quentin remained convinced of his loyalty.  Then suddenly, a day or two later, he seems to agree that Gerard is the bad one.

I thought it was interesting when Daphne mentioned to Joanna that she and Quentin presumably could never marry because of Samantha.  There was a look on Joanna's face and I realized - oh!  so that's why she finally goes for her revenge.   I wonder if she was just there to try to get back with Quentin and perhaps to see Daphne, and would have continued to ignore Samantha had she not suddenly realized this situation and the need to remove her.
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 10:50:25 AM »
I don't recall how Quentin finally switched and viewd Gerard as the enemy.  Recently, when he seemingly had proof of his betrayal, Gerard went to him with one of his good performances and explanations, and again, Quentin remained convinced of his loyalty.  Then suddenly, a day or two later, he seems to agree that Gerard is the bad one.

The final straw that did it was when Daphne had gone to Quentin and told him that she was going to marry Gerard.  That's when he finally woke up.

Cassandra

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 03:20:24 PM »
"guess what??"  Joanna's dead after all and was a ghost this entire time!  If I were her, I would have just stayed on like that in Collinsport for a while, since she was able to fool people into thinking that she was alive.  I thought it was kind of mean of her to tell Daphne that she was alive and well though!      Oh well, at least Quentin is beautiful throughout...

I can't quite remember what happens to Joanna.  Guess I should just be patient and watch the next few eps, huh?   But as I recall, didn't they just leave her character up in the air, with Daphne and Quentin never knowing she was really dead?

Where...is...BARNABAS???   >:(  We only have him for the end of '40, then we get this arrogant lech in '41 PT (as opposed to our regular arrogant dumbass [who I love!] in RT).

I was just thinking the same thing while watching yesterday's episodes.  Where the heck IS Barnabas?  Off somewhere making googly eyes at Valerie/Angelique?  I'm sort of half surprised he wasn't around to meet the ghost of Joanna Mills and fall hopelessly in love with her.

And you're right LAFB, Samantha did rock.  That is, she rocked until she hit the rocks below Widow's Hill! ::)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 03:58:37 PM »

I'm sort of half surprised he wasn't around to meet the ghost of Joanna Mills and fall hopelessly in love with her.

Too bad he had been cured of vampirism,  Joanna and Barnabas would have had a lot in common.  They were both dead.  Angelique would not have been able to kill her in a jealous pique.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 04:41:23 PM »
Too bad he had been cured of vampirism,  Joanna and Barnabas would have had a lot in common.  They were both dead.

Maybe too much in common.  I have the feeling their scenes together would have been a disaster -- both looking back and forth at the teleprompter and each other -- totally lost.  LOL  8)  8) .....Ahem.....(sorry, sorry).  I love ole Barn.
Actually I like Joanna too, but JEEZ.  Don't think I can remember anyone on the show as bad with screwing up lines, calling people by the wrong names, what-have-you.

:-X
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 05:11:52 PM »
My favorite Joanna screw-up is when she turns to Daphne and says:  "you and Daphne will go away together tonight!!" just because you love yourself SO much, my dear.  I've seen what you do with your hair when you think no one is watching ... (sorry, that was a brief trip into the psycho shadowland of the Gothick Zone).

I find Bramwell a really, really irritating character.  I suppose he was patterned after PT 1970 Quentin, who has to be one of the loudest, crashingest (?) boors of all time... and those clothes!  how do you make such a gorgeous man look as unattractive and, well, rube-like as possible?  With Bramwell, we've got the 1841 version of the mullet-do to endure.  ah well.

I believe the reason why JF was offscreen for a couple of weeks towards the end of 1840 was either because he asked for some time off for the holidays, OR because this is when they were re-negotiating whether or not he was going to stay on the show... I keep hearing these rumors that he had walked off the set one day and returned to come back unless he was allowed to play someone other than Barnabas.

G.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 05:57:21 PM »
There's something about Joanna (or Lee Beery?) that I really like - she just seems so nice and kind.  But the flubs she makes, calling characters by the wrong names and stepping on other people's lines - it's just something else!

You're right, Connie.  A scene with Barnabas and Joanna could have been an unintentional laugh riot!

Fade in on the gazebo near Collinwood at sunset.  JOANNA MILLS is alone, wrapping her cloak around her, waiting for someone.  BARNABAS COLLINS appears silently out of the shadows.  He takes JOANNA in his arms.

BARNABAS (looking shiftily to the left): Joanna my love...there's something I must - you must....I think

JOANNA (breaks in): Barnabas, I've been...looking?...What?  What must you tell me, Daphne?

BARNABAS (long pause): Daphne and...Quentin have escaped.  Their...boat... left Pirate's...Cove...this morni-

JOANNA (frantic, but still smiling for some reason): But Daphne and Barnabas must get away before Gerard tries to marry them!

BARNABAS: Yes we...we must.

(my apologies to Mr. Frid, Ms. Beery, and the mods if this gets too close to filk or fan-fic.) ;)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003, 10:50:36 AM »
I was just thinking the same thing while watching yesterday's episodes.  Where the heck IS Barnabas?  Off somewhere making googly eyes at Valerie/Angelique?  I'm sort of half surprised he wasn't around to meet the ghost of Joanna Mills and fall hopelessly in love with her.

And what gets me is that when we do finally get to see him (in Friday's episode) what does he do?  He spends most of his time watching the whole charade that's going on in PT!   Then, he says to himself, "why can't I help them!!?"  Meanwhile, Quentin's just about ready to be beheaded and he's worrying about helping people whom he never met before. ::)

Onyx_Treasure Wrote:
Too bad he had been cured of vampirism,  Joanna and Barnabas would have had a lot in common.  They were both dead.  Angelique would not have been able to kill her in a jealous pique.

LOL!!!!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2003, 05:43:51 PM »
CB, apology noted, cuz it really is fan fic, but... I have to tell you that I almost fell off my chair laughing cuz that scene is a riot! [lghy]

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 07:21:15 PM »
Midnite,

Sorry again - but it just popped into my head and I couldn't resist.  >:D

Glad to give you a laugh!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 05:44:19 PM »
My favorite Joanna screw-up is when she turns to Daphne and says:  "you and Daphne will go away together tonight!!" just because you love yourself SO much, my dear.  I've seen what you do with your hair when you think no one is watching ... (sorry, that was a brief trip into the psycho shadowland of the Gothick Zone).

[lghy]  [lghy]  [lghy]

I find Bramwell a really, really irritating character.  I suppose he was patterned after PT 1970 Quentin

In the end I actually like them both. Even more so on repeat viewing because one understands where all that irritating behavior comes from.

Just my opinion...

I keep hearing these rumors that he had walked off the set one day and returned to come back unless he was allowed to play someone other than Barnabas.

I believe it's more than rumor that Frid walked off. But what hasn't been made really clear is when it actually took place. I would think, though, that it took place at some point prior to the final planning of the 1841PT storyline...