Author Topic: #1195/1196: Robservations 12/05/03: Angelique, Powerless?; Executioner's Ax  (Read 1249 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1195 - A newly-married man, Gerard smugly surveys Quentin and says to the minister, you may go on your way.  Quentin darts forward--Daphne, why did you do it? he asks.  She's staring straight ahead, still under Gerard's spell.  Keep your hands away from her, orders Gerard--stay away!  Daphne, pleads Quentin--Gerard, she didn't come to you willingly, you've put her under a spell, haven't you?  It doesn't matter what I've done or didn't do, says Gerard--the important thing is, now Daphne is my wife.  I'm going to take Daphne out of here, says Quentin, and if you try to stop me, I'll kill you with my bare hands!  Quentin! calls Trask from the doorway, pistol in hand, your killing days are over.
Gerard grins in triumph.  You never expected to see me again, did you? chortles Trask.  This was a set-up, realizes Quentin, gazing at Trask--wasn't it?  I suppose you could say it was killing two birds with one stone, agrees Gerard--I planned to go to the fishing shack and have the police arrest you there, but then I thought better it should happen here, after Daphne and I became husband and wife.  I'm taking you back to the jail, says Trask, and I suggest you come along quietly, because if you give me any trouble, there won't be any need for an execution.  (Quentin looks scruffy and really cute!)  Quentin, do as Trask says, advises Gerard.  I suppose you've already got Desmond? asks Quentin.  Yes, says Trask, the police found him at the fishing shack about half an hour ago.  Daphne suddenly falls into a chair, moaning.  She's coming out of the spell, notes Quentin.  I told you to keep away from my wife! Gerard says.  Wife? asks Daphne, who gazes at Gerard and Quentin, perplexed.  Quentin, what are you doing here? she asks.  It's all right, he assures her, I was tricked into coming here, just as you were tricked into marrying Gerard.  Marrying Gerard? she asks.  Don't you remember anything? Quentin asks.  She shakes her head--I remember a dream.  A dream he forced you to have, says Quentin belligerently.  All right, that's quite enough, says Gerard--take him away, Trask.  Pointing the gun at Quentin, Trask leads him away.  Quentin gazes longingly at Daphne, who stands and wails, "No, I won't let you take him away!"  Gerard restrains her--I am your husband now and you will do as I say, he insists.  (chauvinist SOB).  I don't believe that! she cries.  You took the marriage vows, he reminds her--let's up to the marriage chamber.  (Can you say consummate, boys and girls?)  I don't want to go with you, says Daphne, I don't want to leave Quentin.  You will do exactly as I say, warns Gerard, or believe me, Trask will use that pistol.  Trask looks determinedly at Quentin, who advises Daphne, "You had better go upstairs."  She goes to Quentin--it's you I love, she says.  I know that, he says, holding her hands.  Take your last look at her, advises Gerard--believe me, it will be your last look--he takes Daphne's arm in a strong grip and leads her away.  Quentin assures Trask, "If there is a way to get back from the grave, I'll find it--and if I do, so help me, I'll torment you until you die."  Just walk ahead of me, at a safe distance, commands Trask, and leads him out of Collinwood.

Bridal chamber - There's no way on earth you can get me to stay here, Gerard, vows Daphne.  Oh, my dear, you're merely angry right now--that will pass, he promises.  But I'll never stop loving Quentin, she says.  You will--in time, he says--you see, my dear, I'm a very patient man--he sweeps the covers off the bed in a gesture filled with meaning--Quentin will go back to jail and Trask will begin the process for starting the immediate execution--there's nothing you can do to prevent it.  What do you think you're gaining by all this? asks Daphne--how can you stand to be married to someone who hates you?  You don't hate me, he chides.  Oh, I do hate you, she says, more than I've ever hated anything in my entire life.  A wife must learn never to hate her husband, says Gerard (I'm sure it's written somewhere on my wedding license).  I'll not be your wife! she cries--I'll never keep any of those marriage vows.  Fate decreed that you will become Mrs. Gerard Stiles, he says.  You're not Gerard Stiles, says Daphne, adding in a gentle, yet intense voice--you're a monster named Judah Zachary--you took Gerard Stiles and possessed his entire life--and there's nothing left of him anymore, there's only you, Judah--the warlock--but you'll never win me over, because you see, I love Quentin Collins--and there's no power on earth that can change the way I feel!  He laughs--I'm afraid you're' wrong, he says
--but it will take you quite a while--meantime, you have time to think it over--carefully.  He locks her in the room and leaves as she bangs fruitlessly at the door.

Julia said it was a room in the East Wing, thinks Barnabas to himself, approaching the parallel time room--in 1970, we witnessed parallel time in this room--it changed and became Angelique's room.  Barnabas hears PT Daphne calling Catherine.  I'm in here, calls Catherine.  I must talk to you, insists Daphne--I had the most incredible experience in the village--I was on my way to the Collinsport Inn and old Ezra Robinson was sitting on the porch--he always talks to me but I never pay any attention to it, but this time, I did, because what he said was frightening--everyone in the village knows you've agreed to marry Morgan, and old Ezra began by saying that was just fine--but then he asked me if you were planning to live at Collinwood, and I said yes you were--he looked at me for a moment and said, "Your sister will be making a tragic mistake!--you've got to warn her."  Warn me?--what about? asks Catherine.  Ezra told me a story about a haunted room somewhere in this house, reveals Daphne--that's the reason why everybody at Collinwood lives in fear, and keeps their doors locked at night.  Barnabas watches carefully.  Daphne continues--he told me there was a legend...  Catherine interrupts--Ezra Robinson is a muddle-headed old fool, she says--I'm surprised you took him seriously.  Catherine, please, objects Daphne--what he said disturbed me.  What about the legend? asks Catherine.  Every generation, this family holds a lottery to decide which member of the family has to spend a night in that room, explains Daphne--and everyone who's ever gone into it has either died or some out stark, raving mad!  Catherine is upset.  The last person to go into that room, reveals Daphne, was Justin Collins.  Oh, says Catherine, and that's why Justin Collins is the way he is today.  Yes! says Daphne.  Justin Collins had an accident, insists Catherine.  That's what the family always tells everyone, says Daphne, but they've never said what kind of accident, or how it happened--or where!  I don't believe a word of it! declares Catherine.  I think you should at least find out what's going on in this house before you decide to come and live here, says Daphne.  I don't intend to let anything upset my marriage plans, says Catherine--and I certainly won't go asking the family embarrassing questions about a locked room!
Dashing, handsome PT Quentin joins the ladies, curtly informing Catherine, I think you just made a wise decision.  How long have you been standing there? asks Catherine.  Long enough to be disturbed by what I heard, he says.  I'm sorry, says Catherine.  You should be, says Quentin--Catherine, Morgan wants to see you downstairs--something about wedding arrangements, I believe.  Catherine excuses herself and leaves the room.  I want to go with my sister, says Daphne.  Stay right here, insists Quentin.  It's all right, I'm not going to hurt her, Quentin assures Catherine.  I've been gone for seven years, Daphne, says Quentin--do you know why?  Yes, she says, you were convicted of manslaughter and have been in prison.  That's right, he says--I got into a fight with a man and killed him--because he was spreading stories about my family--the same kind of stories Ezra Robinson is telling you--he was trying to make my family look like a pack of fools--I must admit I've never gotten along particularly well with my family, but it's the only family that I've got--and I don't like to hear stories or so-called legends about that--and I don't like to hear them slandered--do I make myself absolutely clear to you?  You do, she assures him--I'm sorry for what happened.  All right, he says, smiling, it's all forgotten--now, let's talk about you--when I first came back and saw you, I didn't recognize you--you've grown up the past five years, and I must say I like what I see.  Thank you very much, she says.  May I take you for a walk? He offers.  I can't, says Daphne--I've got to go back to the village.  That's where I'll walk you, he says--you might as well get used to it--I never take no for an answer.  He leads her away, an arm around her shoulders.  Barnabas considers everything he saw.

Gerard sits by the fire in the drawing room at Collinwood.  Valerie enters; he greets her warmly, inviting her in--we haven't had the pleasure of your company in quite a while--what brings you to Collinwood?  I told Barnabas I'd meet him here--have you seen him? she asks.  No, I'm afraid I haven't, I must have missed him--I was in the study, explains Gerard.  Would you mind if I wanted in the drawing room? she asks.  I will wait with you, he says, and I will wait for Barnabas and then I will tell you the news.  What news? she asks.  Quentin was re-captured and taken back to jail earlier this evening, says Gerard--this happened just after Daphne and I were married.  Valerie's mouth drops open in shock.  Barnabas, standing at the top step, is dismayed.

Jail - Quentin sits in his cell.  Barnabas enters--I came as soon as I heard the news, he says.  I appreciate it, says Quentin, but you might as well have stayed home for all the good you can do me--we might as well admit, it's all over. We still have time, says Barnabas.  To do what? asks Quentin.  Get you out of here again, if necessary, says Barn.  There isn't a prayer of that happening, says Quentin--besides, they have the place well-guarded this time.  Is Desmond all right? asks Barnabas.  Yes, says Quentin, he's down in his old cell.  I don't understand Daphne, says Barnabas.  It wasn't her fault, insists Quentin, she had no other choice--she had to marry him--he put her under a spell--now Barnabas, listen to me--you've got to give up the idea of helping me--you've got to get back to Collinwood and keep Gerard from getting Daphne.  I'll do my best, promises Barnabas.  Trask enters, grinning--Dawson and I just had a long talk with Judge Vail.  From the smile on that face of yours, says Quentin resentfully, I know what the outcome was.  Yes, burbles Trask, the judge agreed there is no reason to prolong this--he has set tomorrow morning as the time for your execution--and that of Desmond Collins.  Quentin and Barnabas look morose.  This is your day, Trask, says Barnabas--but remember, we still have a private matter to settle between us--tomorrow may be MY day.  Quentin sits down in his cell after exchanging a long look with Trask.

2:50 - Collinwood drawing room - Valerie stands and looks out the window.  Barnabas enters--we only have 24 hours to save Quentin's life, he says.  What are you going to do? she asks.  I've run out of answers, he says, that's why I have no choice but to turn to you.  To me? she asks.  I didn't want it to happen this way anymore than you did, but there's no other course open to me, he says--you must save Quentin!  But you know that's impossible! she says.  You have within you the powers to do something none of us can do, insists Barnabas.  And just exactly what do you expect me to do? she asks.  Use your powers to find the head of Judah Zachary and destroy him! says Barnabas.  What you're saying is suicidal! she cries--that head, wherever it is, is still under the power of Gerard Stiles--he would know if anyone came near it, and use those powers to destroy us--there is no hope for Quentin, or for Desmond--and there may be no hope for either of us unless we leave Collinwood tonight!  Barnabas surveys her sadly and says, "It's terribly ironic what's happened between us--we've been enemies for years until we made this reconciliation--but I'm afraid that's all it is--we can be nothing more than friends."  "I love you, Barnabas!" she protests.  "Angelique," he says gently, "I've grown more fond of you than I ever thought possible, but I'm afraid I can never love you as you want to be loved."  But how can you know anything like that? she asks.  When you lifted the curse from me, you made me human, he reminds her, that's the difference between us now--I am human, you are not--you are still a witch--with all your old powers and all your own feelings--or lack of feelings--bout others.  But I have changed, she says, you know I have changed--I could have (refused to lift) the curse from you, and I did not.  Because it suited your interests not to, says Barnabas, but you still feel the same way about other peoples' suffering--cold and indifferent--you will never change, I suppose, being what you are
--if that's true, well, I'm sorry for you--terribly sorry.  If I could be as you want me to be, she begins.  What's the point of speculating about it? he asks--I'm afraid you will never change.  He leaves her alone and goes upstairs.  Angelique looks miserable--and speculative.

Barnabas comes downstairs and runs into Gerard in the foyer.  I didn't realize you were still in the house, says Gerard.  I've been looking for Daphne, says Barnabas.  Don't you mean Mrs. Stiles? taunts Gerard.  Your wedding was a fraud and you know it, says Barnabas.  Did Quentin send you here to look for her? asks Gerard.  Where is she? demands Barnabas.  You haven't answered my question, says Gerard.  I demand to know where she is! shouts Barnabas. You demand nothing from me! retorts Gerard--this is my house, and the whereabouts of my wife is no business but my own.  Barnabas stares him down.  I demand you get out of here, now, orders Gerard--get out while you still have a chance--get out!  I was beginning to think that you would never come out into the open--JUDAH! says Barnabas gruffly--and leaves.

Daphne's reflection is grossly distorted into that of a monkey in a mirror into which she is looking.  She paces the room.  Gerard unlocks the door and comes in.  If you've come to see if I've changed my mind, she says, I haven't.  I have come for other reasons, my dear, he says--tomorrow it will be all over--the execution of Quentin Collins takes place tomorrow at dawn.  Oh no! whispers Daphne, covering her mouth.  I will be a witness there, prattles Gerard, and if you happen to need to deliver a message to him, I will be happy to give it to him.  You really enjoy seeing me suffer, she accuses, her voice ragged.  No, my dear, your suffering is...  "I HATE YOU, GERARD, I HATE YOU!" screams Daphne.  She tries to escape, but he grabs her, spins her around and orders, come back here!  I'll kill you! she threatens.  He tosses her onto the bed.

Valerie returns to Collinwood and speaks to Barnabas' portrait:  "I will do what I can to help Quentin," she says, "but what I'm about to do, is really for you, Barnabas, because I love you and I need your love--if I can't prove myself to you this way, then there is no way."  She enters the drawing room, closes the doors, and sits by the fire.  "Prince of fire, I call upon the flame to summon you, in this my most desperate hour of need--I call upon all the dark creatures of nature to aid me in the destruction of one who is my mortal enemy--prince of fire, hear my call---know that I have always been your faithful, trusted and most obedient servant--I beseech you, grant me the power to destroy this man--she holds up a clay doll--who calls himself Gerard Stiles, but who is, in reality the embodiment of Judah Zachary.  Viciously, she stabs the doll with a hatpin.

Gerard, kneeling on the bed, about to rape the helpless Daphne, is suddenly stricken with chest pain.  What's happening to you? cries Daphne.  He clutches his chest.  What's happening to you--JUDAH?--demands Daphne.  He doesn't respond, but staggers from the room, clutching his chest.

Holding the doll with the pin sticking from its chest, Valerie says, "Let him suffer!--as he has caused so many others to suffer--and then, let him die, that this house may be rid of him forever!"  She holds up a second pin, preparing to finish off Judah--"I beg you, in the name of every evil spirit that is obedient to you, return him now to the hell front whenst he came!"  The door opens.  Gerard, his face twisted with pain and fury, stands there.
Valerie rises, her eyes huge with horror.  "So, it is you, Miranda!" he says, "and you have just used your last power!"  Valerie gazes at him, terrified, breathing heavily as Gerard surveys her with his most evil sneer.

NOTES:  What is going to happen to our favorite witch now?  Will she succeed in getting rid of Judah?  Or will he succeed in getting rid of her?  At least she saved Daphne from being raped--that's something.  There are those who say she attempted to get rid of Gerard not for others, i.e., Desmond and Quentin, but for Barnabas himself, which still makes her selfish.  What do you think?  Isn't it odd--Judah/Gerard and Angelique/Valerie are supposedly on the same side--evil.  Why would evil battling evil work for her?

Are they going to behead Desmond without a trial?  Does he just get to go along for the ride because he's Quentin's cousin?  That sounds mighty unfair.

Great scene between Barnabas and Valerie.  I sensed him manipulating her, knowing that by telling her what he did, she would end up helping him.  Barnabas can be very manipulative--and charming--when he wants to be.  All she wants is his love, and he basically told her she doesn't stand a chance if she doesn't help others--specifically, Quentin and Desmond.  So, she did what she could do, but has been caught.

They want to preserve Daphne's virginity here, prevent Gerard from "getting" her.  That was basically what Quentin asked Barnabas to do.

Great episode.  I loved the confrontation scenes between Valerie and Barnabas, Barnabas and Judah/Gerard, Daphne and Gerard.

1196 - Gerard grins--Miranda, he says, I forgot what a clever woman you were--how you recognized me as Judah--oh, we were destined to meet again, weren't we?  Valerie is so petrified, she can't even look at him.  In 1690(2), he says, you testified against me in court, and convicted me for being a warlock--there, if it hadn't been for you, I would have been beheaded--I WAS beheaded!--don't you think I ought to revenge that?  He grabs holds of her.  Let go! she screams.  Look into my eyes, he insists.  No! she cries.  You never could resist at one time, he reminds her.  She shakes her head and begins to cry.  You would look into my eyes and see the power I held within them, he says, and if you look now, you will see it again--don't try to fight me Miranda--just look into my eyes.  Sobbing, she does, and gasps.  He grins at her.  "I gave you powers, my dear, when I first met you, he says, you were so young, and a sweet little girl and I taught you everything."  (EVERYTHING?)  I have learned more since, she says.  I don't think so, he says, you have misused those powers--you have made the gods angry!  The devils? she asks.  No, my dear--now, you shall return to being a human again, he says.  You can't make me human, she protests.  "I, Judah Zachary, take away the powers I once bestowed upon you, and return you to the human state from whence you came!--I return you!--let it be done!"
Eyes wide, she wavers, staring into his eyes, and almost faints.  She covers her forehead with her hand--those few words meant nothing, she insists.  He holds up the clay doll--look, Miranda, he says, your favorite toy.  She snatches it from him.  He hands her his handkerchief--you need something to try it out, he says.  She ties the handkerchief around the doll--"Die, Judah, die!" she cries, insanely pulling the knot as hard as she can--but nothing happens.  Gerard merely laughs at her--there, you see, he says, I have finally caught up with you.  She throws the doll to the floor and tries to run, but he again grabs hold of her--no you don't, you're staying right here with me--you're a woman again, a natural woman, and therefore you can cause a lot of trouble.  I will not go with you! she insists, then screams, "BARNABAS!"  You will, he says.  He covers her mouth--be quiet, he warns her.  They struggle, and he asks, would you like another power bestowed upon you--and you will die?  Her eyes go huge over his hand.  No, she replies.  I thought so, Miranda, he says, you always were afraid of death--he drags her from the drawing room.

Barnabas opens the PT room doors and hears Melanie laughing, as she tells Justin, her father, I can tell you feel better.  The house is very still, he says, sounding like a stroke victim.  The boys have gone into Collinsport, says Melanie, kneeling at his feet, everything is all right, Papa--I would tell you if it weren't.  You comfort me, he says haltingly.  You mustn't say that, she says-- Morgan and Gabriel wouldn't like it--they are your real sons, and I...  You are my daughter, he assures her.  I wonder whose daughter I truly am, she says, and what I would have been like if I'd grown up with them--if you had not adopted me.  Justin says, if you had not...this house...  She rests her head in his lap--whatever has happened, she says, it's been worth it, being here with you.  You saved my life, he says.  Don't say that, she pleads, rising to her feet, don't--you'll upset yourself, and you mustn't.  Catherine enters.  Melanie is glad to see her.  Catherine greets Justin.  You remember Catherine, Morgan's fiancee? asks Melanie.  Are you feeling better? asks Catherine.  The old man gazes at her dolefully.  I came to show Morgan our wedding invitations, says Catherine, handing one to Melanie, but he's gone to the village--aren't they pretty?  Are you sending one to Bramwell? asks Melanie.  Why...no, I wouldn't know where to reach him, says Catherine--he's been gone five years.  I've heard he's coming back, says Melanie--Papa, Bramwell's coming back--he swore he would never return until he was very, very rich, says Melanie excitedly--he must be so by now.  I'm sure there's no truth at all in that rumor, says Catherine.  What if there is? asks Melanie gently.  Barnabas listens closely.  Well then, if Morgan wants it, Bramwell will be invited to the wedding--it's as simple as that, says Catherine.
Is it? asks Melanie, showing her father Morgan's wedding invitation.  The old man grows agitated and clutches his chest.  Melanie embraces him--Papa!--Catherine, go get my father's medicine--you'll be all right, says Melanie, please, Papa, don't leave me!--don't leave us now!  She must not marry him! Justin struggles to say, his head tipped back--no strangers in the house!  You're upsetting yourself, protests Melanie.  The room, the room! he cries.  Don't speak of it! she orders, don't!  No, I must now! he says.  Papa, she assures him, we will not have that lottery again--you will live, Papa.  The door closed, he rants, the door. . .we must talk--you are the only one I will talk with--close the door.  She does so, blocking the scene off from Barnabas, who wonders what room they're talking about, and agonizes--"Why can't I help them?"  (you had better help yourself and family in RT, Barn!)

Gerard brings Valerie to Charles Dawson's house.  Dawson isn't pleased.  Valerie sits meekly in a chair.  There is really nothing to be frightened of, believe me, says Gerard--isn't that right, Miranda? She gives him a look of death.  She is as harmless as a little mouse, adds Gerard--for now, of course.  Why should I keep her here? asks Charles.  Because I told you to, says Gerard--soon, Quentin will be beheaded, and all the people must know there is no longer a Judah Zachary--and I want her to see my final triumph--yes, my dear, when the beheading is over, then I shall come to you--and give you my fullest, fullest attention--oh, Charles, if you knew what this meant to me.  I know how long you've been looking forward to this, says Dawson.  Yes, smiles Gerard, gazing at Valerie.  But I have your permission to kill her if she should try to escape? asks Dawson.  That would be most unfortunate, says Gerard, try to keep her alive, dear friend--try--well, Miranda, until after the execution...  She gives him a dirty look as he leaves.  Charles glances nervously at Valerie--"I know what you're feeling," he says--"don't try to escape."  He locks the door.  Valerie is already formulating a plan.

A guard brings Leticia to see Desmond and locks her in the cell with him.  You shouldn't have come, he protests.  I couldn't stay away, she says sadly.  Even when I was a boy, I hated saying goodbye, he says.  I'm not going to cry, she vows, I promised myself.  Would you promise me something? he asks.  Anything, she says.  Give this to Flora, he says, pressing a piece of paper into her hand--it's a letter changing my will--I want you to have everything that's mine.  Desmond! she sobs.  I want you to take the money and leave Collinsport, he says--I don't you to work the music halls anymore--I want you to have a fine life, the kind of life you would have had with me, I think.  "No life is fine without you," she says, barely keeping the tears from her voice.  Unable to  bear her sadness, he sinks down on his cot and says, I don't know how all this happened, or why...  Flora has gone to the governor, says Leticia, a tear falling down her cheek--she's going to bring him back here.  He won't come, says Desmond.  They can't behead you without a proper trial, she insists.  They found a law written in 1690, explains Desmond--a warlock's followers, if sufficient proof links them, can be executed with the warlock.  She begins to cry in earnest, sobbing his name.  If we had gotten to Boston, says Desmond, I'd have married you there.  Desmond, marry me now, she says, here, in this cell.  No, it wouldn't be fair, he insists lovingly.  I want to be your wife, she insists.  Even for just the hour that's left? he asks.  Even for that, she says, smiling at him.  He turns away, unsure.  Please, she says, they will let us, I'll make them let us.  No, it would be too dangerous, objects Desmond, they would say you were part of our coven and they might arrest you--I couldn't chance that, Leticia.  I'm willing to, she says softly.  I want to more than anything, he says, but I can't--I can't go out there being afraid of what would happen to you--no, I won't do it.  If we just say the words, she says, then we would know, in our hearts, that we are one.  He turns to face her and nods.  "I Leticia, take thee, Desmond, to be my lawfully wedded husband."  "I Desmond, take thee, Leticia, to be my lawfully wedded wife."   Leticia continues, "In sickness and in health."  "In pain and adversity," says Desmond.  "Until..." begins Leticia, but is unable to go on for her tears.  "...death do us part," finishes Desmond.  "Amen," says Leticia.  They kiss to seal their vow.
Jail - "I was a fool to let Gerard get away with it," says Quentin, I deserve to die--I don't know, I think my life's ruined anyway without Daphne."  Gerard has her hidden somewhere, says Barnabas, I haven't been able to find her, but I will.  When you do, says Quentin. . .  I will give her the chance, the means of escaping him, swears Barnabas--and I promise you this, that I will settle all differences with Gerard--I will see that he is run out of Collinwood, I promise you that.  Be careful, warns Quentin--remember, his power is Judah Zachary's.  You will be avenged, swears Barnabas.  Me? asks Quentin--I'm much more concerned about Desmond--you know the only thing he wanted to do was help me, and now he's going to die--I've got to stop thinking about that--it's strange what a person thinks about at times like this--you're a friend, I know that, and I know you'll continue to be--the thing I'm worried about it Tad.  "I will get Tad and I will take care of him," promises Barnabas.  (Does this mean he intends to remain in 1841, being a father to young Tad?)  You try to raise him so that he understands me, says Quentin, and try to convince him I was not guilty--he smiles--it seems the things I've asked you to do are all impossible.  I will do it all, Barnabas assures him.  Thank you, says Quentin--how much time do I have?  About 45 minutes, says Barn.  Quentin grins--it's a funny thing, he says, "I'm not afraid--be sure and tell Tad that--his father wasn't afraid."  Barnabas nods.  I almost stopped thinking about any kind of miracle, says Quentin--the only way out of this is...death.

And to think I used to be frightened of you, Dawson boasts to Valerie--how times change!  Yes, she agrees.  You shouldn't have tried to fight Judah Zachary, he says, tell me--what does it feel like to be merely a woman again?  I have always felt as a woman feels, she says.  I don't doubt that, says Charles--I'm sure you've never had to use any of your powers to get any man you wanted.  (Ask Barnabas or Quentin!)  No, never, she agrees, smiling, standing, walking provocatively over to him--"If I had wanted you, for instance"--she moves very close, within kissing distance.  What would you have done? asks Dawson with interest.  This, she says, going in for a kiss, her lips almost touching his.  He moves away, laughs and assures her, it's most effective--I almost believed you for a minute.  Why didn't you? she asks.  Because I know how desperate you are to escape, he says, and because I am more frightened of Judah Zachary than I am attracted to you.  I'm surprised you admit it, she says, grinning.  I'm a realist, unlike you, he says--even if you did escape from here, there's nothing at all you could do to help Quentin or Desmond.  Then if there's nothing I could do, she says, eyes bright, face very close to his, why don't you let me go?--I will pay you well, I promise you that.  I'm sorry, he says, pushing her away.  She grabs the keys from the table--I can feel Judah's presence here in this room, she says rapidly--even though I know Gerard isn't in the house--it frightens me--she goes to the door and tries to unlock it.  It should he says, realizing where she is and what she's doing--oh, no! he shouts, going after her--you're not going to turn him against me!  He takes the key away from her.  She grabs a candlestick and whomps him over the head with it; he falls to the floor...
Valerie checks Dawson--he's dead!

2:50 - Gerard checks the clock at Collinwood--20 minutes, he says, with great satisfaction.  He begins to put on his cape.  Leticia enters--you're willing to let Quentin and Desmond die! she accuses him tearfully.  I had nothing to do with it, he insists.  Yes you have, she says, you're Judah Zachary--what happened to you? she asks sadly--I used to be so fond of you, Gerard--but the Gerard who brought me here is dead--killed by Judah Zachary!--just as Desmond and Quentin will be  He gazes at her, puzzled, shaking his head.  Well you can die, too, Gerard! she says, holding up a long, sharp knife--you can die, too!  You fool! he cries, wrestling the knife from her grasp, forcing her to drop it.  Get out of here! he cries--you will live no longer in this house--go on, go on!  He picks up his cape and leaves.  Crying, Leticia berates herself--"I couldn't even do that!  I couldn't...oh, Desmond!"  Sinks to the floor, lying down, crying uncontrollably, calling Desmond's name.

Quentin and Desmond have been placed in the same cell.  Here we are, together again, says Desmond--when I think what you and I have been through together...  I want you to know what I mind about all of this is you, says Quentin softly.  Nonsense, Desmond says, with a "nothing" hand gesture--do you know what I mind?--the fact that I was best man at your wedding--I should have stopped you from marrying Samantha.  Quentin chuckles.  We've been through a lot, agrees Desmond--I regret none of it.  Yeah, agrees Quentin, we've got so little time left, it seems.  The executioners have arrived.  Humorously, Desmond says, it looks like they're here a little early--should we object?  Quentin, with a charming drawl, replies, I don't know who we'd object to.  Both men are grinning.  Quentin knocks Desmond in the stomach--I'll go first, he volunteers.

In Collinwood's drawing room, Leticia laments, Barnabas, I couldn't even kill him--and now there's no time left--nothing can save them, nothing, no one.  Valerie! frets Barnabas--where's Valerie?

We see the very sharp, gleaming executioner's ax being uncovered and tested in a chunk of wood.  The executioner, hooded in black, runs his finger over the blade.  Gerard waits, grinning  gleefully.  Quentin, hands bound in front of him, is led outside; he watches the executioner test the blade.  I wouldn't miss this thing for the world, Quentin, brags Gerard--as I'm sure you wouldn't if I were in your place.  Quentin attempts to attack Gerard, but is held back by the guard.  Desmond comes out and exchanges a comforting smile with Quentin, who is led to the tree stump serving as the platform for his beheading.  The guard starts to put a blindfold on Quentin, who immediately says, "No! No...when I was born, I saw the light of day, and when I die, I want to see the dark of the night."
He kneels and places his head on the chopping block, looking for all the world like a little boy about to go to sleep.  The executioner raises the ax...

NOTES:  So many sad scenes here!  To watch the goodbye between Quentin and Desmond, between Barnabas and Quentin, and the sad little wedding ceremony between Leticia and Desmond was just too much for a crybaby like me!  I can tell you, the first time I saw this episode, I couldn't stop crying.  To hear Barnabas promise Quentin to raise Tad (my God, the kid is about to be an orphan) was just unbearable.  And poor Leticia's desperate, final attempt to kill Gerard was another hard-to-take scene.  All these good people caught in rotten circumstances by an evil warlock!

Well, Angelique has killed Dawson (and I wasn't sorry to see him go), but her almost-seduction of him sure was fun to watch.  I was pleased to see her outsmart him, especially after he asked her how it feels to be merely a woman.  Even Gerard/Judah knew that a human female could be serious trouble.  Will she be able to do anything about this tragedy now that she's free?

More clues about 1841PT.  Who is Bramwell, and why is/was he so important to Catherine?  What really happened to Justin?  He seems like a stroke victim.  And as for Ezra Robinson, there's a story told that Lara Parker and Kate Jackson could not stop laughing whenever they had to say, "Everything Ezra  told you was true."  I wish someone at the Paley Festival had asked these two ladies about that.

The next two episodes are not to be missed, folks, the final two in 1840/41.  There will be an admission that will dismay some, delight some, and a finale that will surely make some cry.   We will also be introduced to a new character that is one of my personal favorites.  What is to come, IMHO, is DARK SHADOWS at its very best.

Love, Robin